Kitchen Cabinet Crown

Old 05-16-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Residential Remodeling
Rewards Points: 254

Kitchen Cabinet Crown

We have been fortunate to have a number of kitchen and bathrooms lately, but continually run into problems with crown moulding on older houses, where uneven ceilings pose an issue.
Do you guys have any tips on how to control this better? I've talked with my kitchen designer and am at the point that I think ordering a two piece crown right from the start is the best option. We have one area that the ceiling dives upward a fair amount, and it is absolutely necessary for two piece crown, but then another area that the standard 4" crown works fine. You guys have any suggestions on how to better control this variable?

Do we need to be more meticulous with leveling the ceiling in as we're putting sheetrock up? We pulled the plaster on the house we're working on, shimmed the joists down, but still ended up with one spot that we couldn't remedy. Any ideas are welcome-thanks in advance.

mark

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor/Helical Post Installer
Rewards Points: 2,470

Re: Kitchen Cabinet Crown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhaus View Post
We have been fortunate to have a number of kitchen and bathrooms lately, but continually run into problems with crown moulding on older houses, where uneven ceilings pose an issue.
Do you guys have any tips on how to control this better? I've talked with my kitchen designer and am at the point that I think ordering a two piece crown right from the start is the best option. We have one area that the ceiling dives upward a fair amount, and it is absolutely necessary for two piece crown, but then another area that the standard 4" crown works fine. You guys have any suggestions on how to better control this variable?

Do we need to be more meticulous with leveling the ceiling in as we're putting sheetrock up? We pulled the plaster on the house we're working on, shimmed the joists down, but still ended up with one spot that we couldn't remedy. Any ideas are welcome-thanks in advance.

mark
Please explain.

I would strap the ceiling when possible. Make sure it planes through and is level. Then, as long as the cabinets are installed level, your problem is solved.

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Want to play a game?

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 4,196

It was either Lone or Kent ......think it was Kent.....anyway, he purposely made the cabinets a couple inches short for that specific reason.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Cabinet/Millwork Designer
Rewards Points: 256

If you pulled the sheetrock on the ceiling then yeah... that was the time to level things out.

It's a relatively quick, easy and invisible fix at that point. It's a noticeable, pain in the a** fix at any other.

The most visible/referenceable gap will be between the door and the bottom of the crown. That should be darn near consistent.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish Carpentry, Reno
Rewards Points: 2,760

I agree with above. If your pulling down the ceiling, I would take more time to level/flatten the ceiling, not try and hide it with crown. Fastest way I know is two just get a nice level line going around the room at the lowest point of the ceiling and sister all the joists up so they are level and flat at what ever height was the lowest point.....if you REALLY want to go crazy, I have used my Plunge/Rail saw to rip dead flat, dead straight edges on Kiln dried...

Last time I did that was a bathroom, tile guy LOVED the dead flat, dead plumb, dead square walls in the shower.
The Following User Says Thank You to TBFGhost For This Useful Post:
hdavis (05-19-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Trade work for money.
Rewards Points: 512

I've matched some really bad ceilings by just rolling the crown a bit. As said before, just be sure to keep the cab door top to crown bottom measurement the same.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
Raawwwrrrr

Trade: finish carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,394

i would have leveled ceiling. couple of simple fixes depending how bad ceiling is. anything 3/8 and under you could probably get away with either rolling, scoring sheetrock, cheating reveals, block plane top of crown.
The Following User Says Thank You to blackbear For This Useful Post:
jessrj (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

In cases where the dw ceiling is existing, I use a 4' and 6' plastering trowel to level out the ceiling. I typically do this for stain grade crown installs.

I'll use sandable 90, then finish mud. Doesn't really take all that long and it's better than trying to caulk it in, which always looks lousy.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 9,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhaus View Post

Do we need to be more meticulous with leveling the ceiling in as we're putting sheetrock up?

mark

Absolutely. Get the edges done right, then fill in the rest.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #10

Trade: Cabinet Installer.
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
i would have leveled ceiling. couple of simple fixes depending how bad ceiling is. anything 3/8 and under you could probably get away with either rolling, scoring sheetrock, cheating reveals, block plane top of crown.
I agree. Sometimes you just have to cheat the reveals a little. If your building the house, then make sure its level where the cabinets go. If your not a two piece crown works but its time consuming. Most small problems can be cheated but I have also run into some ceilings that aren't small problems and you just have to do the best you can.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: new construction and remodeling
Rewards Points: 638

You measure your differences in height of reveal and transfer the adjustments to the vertical part of your crown fence. (Given you are upside down and backwards)
Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagol
You measure your differences in height of reveal and transfer the adjustments to the vertical part of your crown fence. (Given you are upside down and backwards)
That's the way I was taught, works out nice and you can just roll it between the cuts or joints, unless your talking a 1/2" or bigger
Old 05-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #13

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 25

I agree with fixing the ceiling before sheetrock. Also if the ceiling is being scrolled you can add a little more plaster.

Last edited by Sir Mixalot; 05-05-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Removed link
Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
Perfectionist

Trade: Custom Carpentry
Rewards Points: 764

Flat ceiling = best solution.
A 2 peice crown will help but you will still have a reveal change on the riser.
Scribing combined shiming and followed by building down with spackle can also help if it's not to far out. When I know I'm going to the ceiling I always check it before I rock.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter,Deck Builder, Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,010

If your not fully gutting the kitchen in a 2 part crown you have some lee way , I also find it acceptable to level the crown and let the rest shadow above without trying to fill it !

Kitchen Cabinet Crown-image-3556034841.jpg

Kitchen Cabinet Crown-image-3335434899.jpg

Advertisement