Jambmaster Review - Finish Carpentry - Contractor Talk

Jambmaster Review

Old 04-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Finish carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,700

Jambmaster Review

I've been using the tool for a couple years now and hung hundreds of doors with it. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the purchase. Time to hang a door is basically a wash using traditional methods for a decent trim guy but there is considerably less skill and head work involved. The task becomes less of an art and more a series of repeated somewhat mindless steps to achieve almost perfect results.

It shines when setting to the lousy framing which seems to be the new normal. Twisted trimmers are plumbed and squared to whatever wall surface the tool gets referenced to with nothing special required than using the tool on a perfectly framed opening. The worst opening in a home takes no more time or effort than a perfect one. I now find crap framing a bit amusing rather than inventing dirty names to call the framers. I still curse them but they are lower down on the list of people that make life difficult. Centering a door between two walls requires nothing more of a carpenter than a couple measurements off the tool's extrusion to the walls and a bit of fiddling with the knobs to dial it dead center no matter how tweaked the framing is. Same holds true of hanging a door off plumb to match off plumb walls. When I've hung doors in old homes where matching the exact location of the new jamb to the one being replaced is necessary the tool has saved me hours of screwing around. On a large and fairly detailed millwork job it was necessary to drop jambs in very specific spots to relate to adjacent wall panels and cabs. To do this I laid everything out on a story stick including the location of the back of the jamb and scribed a mark on the extrusion that represented the back of the jamb. After transferring the story stick marks to the wall I shot a laser to the layout and dialed the tool until the laser hit the correct spot on the tool.

With some practise initial setup takes under 5 minutes. Changing between door sizes takes less than one minute. Adding in the extensions for doubles takes under five minutes once you get the hang of it.

I have modified the tool some. It comes with 10 templates. I have mine set up with 14. 13 of those get used on a single door and all 14 get used on a set of doubles. For a 6/8 I have a template above and below the top hinge, one above the middle hinge, one above the bottom hinge (where the compression actually is) and one as low as the spreader on the tool will allow the tool to go. There are templates between each of the hinges to straighten out the jamb. Both side of my tool are set up as mirror images of eachother. On the strike side I just skip the template that would be below the top hinge.

There are a couple drawbacks. The hang can be thrown off some by poorly machined doors. I have had issues with doors whose hinges are set proud of the jamb causing poor reveals on the strike side. Not a difficult correction but still an occasional annoyance. The tool is set to the OD of the jamb so if the door shop hasn't done the math correctly allowing for the correct margin between a set of doubles you can have doors that hit or have zero margin when you swing them. I solve this by double checking everything on the door before sizing down the opening and if they are off I add that amount to the set up size of the tool and knock one of the legs over to the blocks as I hang. Alternatively a track saw makes quick work of it as well.

The tool requires a rethink of the way you hang doors. It is a production tool and most of those require some mods to your usual methods to get the most from them. I will prep every opening in a home, a floor, or an area of a home before I hang a single door. I also prep every opening of a size before changing the tool over to another. This usually requires some jumping around depending on the floor plan. You need to ignore that little voice in your head that starts screaming that nothing is installed and you aren't showing any progress. Once prepped hanging the door is definitely the easy part.

Last house I trimmed the time broke down to 22 minutes per door. That time includes scattering the doors from the garage to their openings, pulling all packaging and disposing of the packaging. Almost every door I set rests on finished floor so that time includes measuring and cutting jamb legs as well. Jamb stock locally is down to 5/8" so to avoid deflection and compression issues I have switched to hanging with screws behind the stops so the time to pull the stop,counter bore and drive screws, and reattach the stop also is figured in. That particular home had 2 4/0 doubles, 1 5/0 double, and one 6/0 double that were average in to the time as well. Like I said it's not dramatically different in time to what a good finish carpenter can do easily but my brain never switched out of neutral.
Attached Thumbnails
Jambmaster Review-set-up.jpe   Jambmaster Review-shims.jpg   Jambmaster Review-mt3.jpg   Jambmaster Review-extensions.jpg   Jambmaster Review-pattern.jpe  

Jambmaster Review-prepped.jpe  
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
asevereid (04-16-2018), AustinDB (04-23-2018), Bull Trout (04-15-2018), Californiadecks (04-16-2018), CityDecks (06-04-2018), Defenestrate (04-16-2018), griz (04-15-2018), J.C. (04-16-2018), KAP (05-18-2018), overanalyze (04-15-2018), Philament (04-16-2018), rrk (04-17-2018), Spencer (04-21-2018), StrongTower (04-16-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (04-15-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 46

Re: Jambmaster Review

Thanks, Sounds perfect for a remodel I have coming up

And unrelated
Was the GC out of ram board?

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Trout View Post

And unrelated
I had the opportunity to go out to one of his jobsite's while visiting a friend up that way. He's working in new construction subdivision's and their floor protection is a layer of cardboard boxes with house wrap over top of it.

Personally, sounds like a pain in the butt. I'll take Ramboard any day.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (04-15-2018), greg24k (04-16-2018), TNTSERVICES (04-15-2018)

Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: GC/ Interior & Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,698

It looks interesting thanks for sharing the information.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:45 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Trout View Post

And unrelated
No. This builder uses the cardboard packaging from the cabs with a layer of tyvek over it. Two advantages according to them. First it covers the square footage quickly and second it costs substantially less than Ram Board. Several local builders do the same thing. Makes zero difference to me what they do as I'm just the trim guy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (04-15-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (04-15-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 02:07 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remolding
Rewards Points: 4

If it doesn’t take much extra time to lay down, it seems like a cost effective and environmental friendly way to do it. Reusing the cardboard that you’re already getting and then it can be recycled at the end of the job. Plus you aren’t using another product (ram board) that’ll just end up in the trash.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:22 AM   #7
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,516

Agree with Extreme, it takes less time to hang a door without this toy. By the time he sets the template and glues the pieces, I would have the door hung perfectly.
KAP (05-18-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshN View Post
If it doesnít take much extra time to lay down, it seems like a cost effective and environmental friendly way to do it. Reusing the cardboard that youíre already getting and then it can be recycled at the end of the job. Plus you arenít using another product (ram board) thatíll just end up in the trash.

I think it is an interesting idea and would probably crunch the numbers if I did more new construction

But I donít buy that one way is more environmentally friendly, probably more of a wash, Ram board is recyclable, and while the cardboard is reused there is new Tyvek put down
Old 04-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Remolding
Rewards Points: 4

Yah, my I was laying awake at 3am and didn’t take into account the tyvex until I was mulling it over later when I still couldn’t sleep. It probably is more of a wash.
We don’t do new construction but we will put down cardbard that we get from onyx at work depending on what we are doing. If we are doing patch work over carpet it’s nice because you can vacuum it easier than a drop cloth. Also any mud you drop can be picked up easily and you don’t have to worry about stepping in it and tracking it everywhere.
I guess everything has its purpose and it just depends what works best for you.

Last edited by JoshN; 04-16-2018 at 10:25 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshN For This Useful Post:
Bull Trout (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 13,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
Agree with Extreme, it takes less time to hang a door without this toy. By the time he sets the template and glues the pieces, I would have the door hung perfectly.
How many times have you used one?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Anytime I post anything about this tool there is always that one guy and it's always someone who has never laid hands on the tool or seen it used. Tunes tend to change after they have.

Setting the template, gluing in, and routing the blocks down takes 5 minutes on average. The total time includes my set up and roll out/clean up for the day, scattering doors to openings, dealing with packaging, under cutting legs to length to level heads, prepping openings and hanging the doors.

Travis was commenting on the floor protection not the tool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
rrk (04-17-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,250

Excellent review Justin, still havenít taken the plunge on one. Every house Iím on with twisted framing (every house) I think of this tool. Iím all about eliminating frustration these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to StrongTower For This Useful Post:
Justin Huisenga (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
I don't know what you agree with me on but I said nothing about the tool itself...

For you to get a truly perfect door is gonna take longer than this method for sure. But what if one could get a truly perfect door in the same amount of time or less as an averagely hung door?

Lots of people think track saws aren't worth the money. Doesn't bother me at all. I enjoy getting flawless results quickly every time I use mine.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
CityDecks (06-04-2018), Justin Huisenga (04-16-2018), StrongTower (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:36 PM   #14
Contractor of the Month

Trade: Control Systems
Rewards Points: 13,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Huisenga View Post
Anytime I post anything about this tool there is always that one guy and it's always someone who has never laid hands on the tool or seen it used. Tunes tend to change after they have.

Setting the template, gluing in, and routing the blocks down takes 5 minutes on average. The total time includes my set up and roll out/clean up for the day, scattering doors to openings, dealing with packaging, under cutting legs to length to level heads, prepping openings and hanging the doors.

Travis was commenting on the floor protection not the tool.
I made the assumption he had at least used one. Else why would he say it doesn't save time if he's never even touched one?
Old 04-16-2018, 10:58 PM   #15
Artist and not a curator

Trade: Carpentry,
Rewards Points: 5,756

22 minutes a door 100% complete is hauling ass. Especially considering you know you'll have the one opening that is complete horse ****.

Hard to beat close to 5 doors per hour. There isn't a whole lot of improvement for efficiency there.

Now let's see some keyboard karate! I'm sure someone hung 27 doors after breakfast and was back home sipping maitais by lunch.
Justin Huisenga (04-19-2018), overanalyze (04-19-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:43 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post
22 minutes a door 100% complete is hauling ass. Especially considering you know you'll have the one opening that is complete horse ****.

Hard to beat close to 5 doors per hour. There isn't a whole lot of improvement for efficiency there.

Now let's see some keyboard karate! I'm sure someone hung 27 doors after breakfast and was back home sipping maitais by lunch.
There was a dude who said he hung 30 doors in a day solo on Justin's IG claiming he didn't need the Jambmaster.

I agree with Justin when he talks about the concept of making use of any method that can simplify your task and remove the thinking. Like he said above, brain stayed in neutral doing this.

I'm not saying hanging doors is incredibly mentally taxing or anything but to have that easy repetition that leads to perfection every time is worth something.

I'm gonna own one of these one day. The problem is I'd only use it about 5 times a year...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (04-17-2018), Justin Huisenga (04-19-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 06:52 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckhead View Post

new math? 22 min per door, 5 per hour?

I Think if you had a house full of doors this tool would make it real easy to get consistent results on every door very quickly no matter what the framing is like.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rrk For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (04-21-2018), Justin Huisenga (04-19-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post

I Think if you had a house full of doors this tool would make it real easy to get consistent results on every door very quickly no matter what the framing is like.
Rob's brain shuts down around 12:00. Guess it shut off early last night.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xtrememtnbiker For This Useful Post:
Deckhead (04-18-2018), rrk (04-17-2018)
Old 04-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #19
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,768

Pretty cool. Thanks for the write-up. I have hung 24 or so doors in a day, but I spent a lot more time weeks prior framing the openings beautifully.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:31 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrk View Post

It's consistent results in a consistent amount of time.

The framing often results in blocks that look like the pic. Probably around a 5/16" taper but square to the wall and in line/plumb with the other blocks. Doesn't slow me down at all with this tool. Jamb just slips right in and gets fastened. Only time it doesn't is a proud hinge or human error on my part. Biggest error is usually bowing the template by over tightening the mid span stiffening screw giving you a bowed jamb. You gotta knock the blocks out to fix it which kinda sucks because I use Pamtite hot melt.
Attached Thumbnails
Jambmaster Review-wtf.jpe  

Advertisement

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Justin Huisenga For This Useful Post:
asevereid (04-19-2018), Deckhead (04-21-2018), overanalyze (04-19-2018), Spencer (04-21-2018), Xtrememtnbiker (04-19-2018)