Door Jamb Too Short

Old 07-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 18

Door Jamb Too Short

Removed wall to wall carpet for cutomer in foyer to find one door jamb cut too short. There are 3 openings, all cased, and this is the only that is too short. Any ideas how to correct?

Name:  doorjamb1.jpg
Views: 6364
Size:  22.6 KB

Thanks for the help

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: GC Residential / Light Commercial
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Door Jamb Too Short

Pull the casing and plinths both sides. Cut the the nails holding the door's jambs to framing using a sawzall with a fine tooth metal cutting blade. (Have the door closed while doing that!) reset the door with jamb tight to flooring, reinstall casing and plinths.

Repair anything that's revealed at the top from lowering the head casing.

Didn't say it was easy.....

Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #3

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 18

This opening is made up of two sets of bifold doors, 1 each side. Are you saying to break down entire jamb and cut side which is setting on floor and lower side which is in picture?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

can you raise the floor around the jamb

Old 07-01-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre

Rip pieces of pine, slide in with glue, work clean a slow, be patiant, you can make most of it dissapear/ G
Old 07-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #6

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 10

Unfortunately there isn't any easy fix. Probably the easiest is to do as genecarp says, though I would go further and recommend that you actually rip several pieces to fit and find the ones that match the grain best. Not a lot of fun, but it is a lot easier than trying to pull the entire thing and lower it. I would also use a urethane, low expansion glue, which should help fill any tiny gaps and make the joints disappear better - assuming this is getting finished and not painted.

I guess it becomes a question of how much the customer cares, versus how much they want to spend...
Old 07-03-2009, 04:16 PM   #7

Trade: Carpentry/Handyman
Rewards Points: 25

You could just wrap both sides with some base shoe, it looks like there's enough clearance under the doors. That's the easy way, otherwise I agree with genecarp.

Last edited by RickS; 07-03-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
I like Green things

Trade: Custom Carpentry Services
Rewards Points: 5,032

Spray foam, shave it, sand it, paint/stain it.

Nah, pull the door, jamb, casing, re-set in reverse order.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
chief pencil holder

Trade: Custom Cabinet Maker, Handrail
Rewards Points: 1,000

calk it.
http://sacramentomillworks.com
Old 07-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: carpenter

With a sausage gun.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
Lack Of All Trades

Trade: Professional handyman services
Rewards Points: 500

put a vase in front ahvit
Old 07-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Custom Home Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecarp View Post
Rip pieces of pine, slide in with glue, work clean a slow, be patiant, you can make most of it dissapear/ G
Thats what I was thinking but I would use a planer on a pine 1x6 till it slides under and tight then scribe the shape of the jamb onto it and cut it to fit with a jig saw and a SMOOTH CUT blade.

Before finishing it... Rub all the edges with a mix of fine saw dust and a couple drops of wood glue, It will look like there is no seam at all after light sanding.

MZ-HANDYMAN
Old 07-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #13
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,588

Crawl under the house and jack the floor up to the jamb!
Old 07-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #14
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
can you raise the floor around the jamb
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
Crawl under the house and jack the floor up to the jamb!
What?

Old 07-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
What?
Sorry. Did not see your quote. I publicly remove my comment due to copy right infringements.
rbsremodeling (07-05-2009)
Old 07-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #16
Pro

You guys do understand that people come here looking for professional advice and then get bombarded by your idiocy.

I'm kind of stuck because a couple of you are pretty SAVY in certain departments and when I put you on my IGNORE LIST I may just miss out on how smart you really are.

Again I say... I'm not MAD, I'm Dissapointed. If you get put on an ignore list you're just wasting your time when you're being serious because we won't see your response. I can see a quick "RAISE THE FLOOR" (AFTER) you leave some helpful advice as a little ribbing but to just waste our time with the joke and no help is pointless.

I got a verbal beat down from ModernStyle one day (Still don't understand what the deal is with Craigslist) and then 2 days later he's helping me with AIRLESS SPRAYER peoblems. I was too aggravated with the forum to put him on my ignore list that day and just closed my browser... Luckily I didn't, I got some advice and now have a PISTON AIRLESS that cost me $40 and is worth over $500.

Why not make an ARGUMENT, VENTING or ASK A STUPID QUESTION thread and let loose there?

OK, I'm done and just added a couple more to my ignore list. I figure with the first few responses COYOTEHILLS has already got some professional advice.

MZ-HANDYMAN
Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Fan of Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZ-HANDYMAN View Post
You guys do understand that people come here looking for professional advice and then get bombarded by your idiocy.

I'm kind of stuck because a couple of you are pretty SAVY in certain departments and when I put you on my IGNORE LIST I may just miss out on how smart you really are.

Again I say... I'm not MAD, I'm Dissapointed. If you get put on an ignore list you're just wasting your time when you're being serious because we won't see your response. I can see a quick "RAISE THE FLOOR" (AFTER) you leave some helpful advice as a little ribbing but to just waste our time with the joke and no help is pointless.

I got a verbal beat down from ModernStyle one day (Still don't understand what the deal is with Craigslist) and then 2 days later he's helping me with AIRLESS SPRAYER peoblems. I was too aggravated with the forum to put him on my ignore list that day and just closed my browser... Luckily I didn't, I got some advice and now have a PISTON AIRLESS that cost me $40 and is worth over $500.

Why not make an ARGUMENT, VENTING or ASK A STUPID QUESTION thread and let loose there?

OK, I'm done and just added a couple more to my ignore list. I figure with the first few responses COYOTEHILLS has already got some professional advice.

MZ-HANDYMAN

Thats odd he's usually very helpful and courteous
Old 07-05-2009, 09:17 PM   #18
Pro

Guess I caught him on a bad day and ERKED HIS BANANNAS!
Old 07-05-2009, 09:29 PM   #19
Working

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,122
Send a message via AIM to Cole82

Quote:
Guess I caught him on a bad day and ERKED HIS BANANNAS!
I'm sorry I never erk another man's banana

Genercarp has it.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #20
Painter/Rehaber

Trade: Painter

Quote:

MZ-HANDYMAN

You obviously have not spent a lot of time around men. This is what they do. Polk Fun. They will make light out of any given situation. This is what makes them such beautiful creatures.

They answered the question. What more do you want? This forum is their outlet.

Want a serious contractors forum go here: hammerswinginghacksthatlackpersonality.com

CrpntrFrk (07-06-2009), Darwin (07-06-2009), rbsremodeling (07-05-2009)