Blind Shelf Supports

Old 02-17-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Blind Shelf Supports

Does anyone know where I can find "blind shelf supports" that can hold a shelf 12" deep by 180" long?
Or even some sort of concealed system that I can install on a concrete block wall.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-17-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Finish Carpentry
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Blind Shelf Supports

Funny you should ask, I just had a customer request the same thing. I ended up getting a bunch of 1/4" steel L-brackets made up at the local machine shop. There was no drywall at the time, so we dadoed the studs, mounted the brackets flush, and added some more 2x4 for drywall attachment. When we install the shelves I plan on sandwiching the brackets between two 3/4" oak planks and running 1 1/2" trim around the face.

I don't know if this will work for you, obviously it won't if the drywall is already up. If you do end up using steel brackets, get 5/16" or 3/8", I thought 1/4" would be plenty but it still has a little wobble to it. Another idea I was considering was using threaded rod or lag bolts and epoxy.... Maybe someone can chime in with a better way, but that's what I came up with.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Historic Restorations
Rewards Points: 264

Try leevalley.com they have them
Old 02-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Project Manager/Licensed Remodeler
Rewards Points: 500

Direct link to the bracket-

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43648,43649

Last edited by Dustball; 02-17-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling general contractor
Rewards Points: 500

But he said "concrete block wall". The only thing I would be comfortable with supporting a shelf that long and considering the potential weight it could be loaded with, would be to have steel dowels sticking out of the blocks, but that would have to be installed as the wall was being laid up, so the ends of the dowels could be bent and buried in a full cell of mortar. Then you could either laminate a shelf around them, or if using a large solid timber, bore ovrsize holes in the rear, pump them full of epoxy, and push the shelf over the dowels, supporting until the epoxy dried.