Angled Or Straight Finish Nailer

Old 06-20-2007, 09:47 PM   #1

Trade: fireman, electrician
Rewards Points: 75

Angled Or Straight Finish Nailer

I'm not a carpenter so this may be a stupid quest. for the experts, but what is the difference between a straight and angled nailer, aside from the obvious? I'm looking to buy one for some stuff I'm doing at my house and wanted to get the right tool. Thanks for the help.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-20-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeler
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Angled Or Straight Finish Nailer

Some depends on size and availability of nails... Can you get the lengths you need? How about stainless and galvanized for exterior and damp area work? I have both for different uses. Also, the angled guns can reach different areas, and can be angled differently for setting nails at odd angles.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #3

Trade: Home building

The angles guns usually have a thicker nail as well as a near full head vs "T" shaped.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
ContractorTalk Flunkie

Trade: Remodeling and Renovation Contractor

I use both, angled guns will get into some tight spots easier
http://remodelingncarolina.com
Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 PM   #5
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,000

I use a Dewalt cordless finish nailer which is straight. Once it dies I will get an angled nailer........unless anyone wants to trade?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forry View Post
Some depends on size and availability of nails... Can you get the lengths you need? How about stainless and galvanized for exterior and damp area work? I have both for different uses. Also, the angled guns can reach different areas, and can be angled differently for setting nails at odd angles.
I'm positive I can get whatever nail I need for any given application. If you could only have one(as I wont use it other than on my own house), which one would it be? And will gal. and stainless work in both guns?
Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor, Remodeler

Small trim? Big trim? Ya gotta check the nail size for the guns, but I prefer the angle guns for the easier and more accurate nail placement. However, my angle guns use bigger nails, will split the smaller trim,
will leave a bigger hole for filling. What kind of work are you going to be doing? I got the big one first, it takes up to 2 1/2" nails. It's easier for me to get stainless for the smaller guns, and I can get electrogalv. for all of 'em. All depends on what you're gonna do. I think the big angle gun is the most versatile, but I need all of 'em.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Trim contractor
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via MSN to Trimcat

I always grab my angle guns first. Just easier to get into corners with. Running base and crown is easier with one for instance. But hanging doors and windows are easy with either type. Straight nails tend to be cheaper than angled, and are a thinner nail as the guys have said here. 16 ga as opposed to the angled with are 15 ga mostly.... except Paslode.. which is 16 ga. Go figure.... Straight guns tend to be cheaper as well.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling

The angled ones only purpose is to allow it to get in to slightly tighter spots.

Downfall is you're almost always stuck using the manufacturers higher priced angled nails with it. The non-angle version can almost always use any generic (cheaper) straight stick nails.

If you've got multiple guns and they aren't all angled, then you've got to be keeping special nails on hand for one gun.

I've never had a situation where a straight nailer wouldn't fit.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 AM   #10
Pro

Here's a guy I've found on ebay who sells nails. He beats Lowes and Home Depot's prices even with shipping added in. And he's blazing fast. The nails are always at my doorstep a couple days after I pay for them. I've ordered from him several times.

http://stores.ebay.com/securefasteni...meZL2222QQtZkm
Old 06-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #11

Thanks for all the info. I'm doing a lot of remodeling to my house right now and am looking to get the best all purpose finish gun. Outside trim, soffits, etc. and inside windows, base, etc.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #12

Trade: Home building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimcat View Post
Here's a guy I've found on ebay who sells nails. He beats Lowes and Home Depot's prices even with shipping added in. And he's blazing fast. The nails are always at my doorstep a couple days after I pay for them. I've ordered from him several times.

Holy crap, $30 shipping for a $20 dollar box DA 25's!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Lic. GC/Remodr - Commercial/Residential/Industrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimcat View Post

Why would a tradesman buy from a Big Home store?
Aren't there any decent tool and fastener suppliers in your area? We buy direct from a supplier rep, bulk, direct delivery by truck = Best prices hands down.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:10 PM   #14
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks

I noticed that some of my over priced lumber yards sell nails for less money than the big boxes. My stainless siding nails (coil) are $20 less and 5 miles closer to my shop.

Side note, depot is offering a free Ridgid nailing gun if you buy 40 boxes of their nails.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 PM   #15
Pro

There's absolutely nothing CLOSE to me Atlantic. The closest fastener supplier prices are high, even if you are buying bulk. I've tried to deal with them several times, but they always end up high.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: General Contracting/CM
Rewards Points: 250

In New England I find Western Tool Supply has the best gun nail prices. I'm buying 12d bright gun nails less than our regular lumber yard can buy them for at cost. There even Bostitch brand no less. My boss sent me the HD once for nails, I asked for 12d common bright, plastic collated full round head. Six employee laters I walked out and drove around until I found a lumber yard.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:55 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Remodeling contractor
Rewards Points: 1,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Finley View Post
The angled ones only purpose is to allow it to get in to slightly tighter spots.

Downfall is you're almost always stuck using the manufacturers higher priced angled nails with it. The non-angle version can almost always use any generic (cheaper) straight stick nails.

If you've got multiple guns and they aren't all angled, then you've got to be keeping special nails on hand for one gun.

I've never had a situation where a straight nailer wouldn't fit.
Nails aren't the budget breaker of most jobs. I've never had a situation where I couldn't find nails for my angled guns. Use the nail that the manufacturer recommends and you won't have disputes with warranty issues should they come up.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #18
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewD View Post
Six employee laters I walked out and drove around until I found a lumber yard.
Ain't it the truth!!!! I hate those places. I went in for a couple of galv lags last week as I shorted myself when I picked up my materials that morning......1.43 for a 4" galv lag, 1.23 if I bought 25 of them!! I paid .55 for the ones I did get that morning. People always thinking they're getting a good deal at the box. If you do get something cheaper it's usually just that CHEAPER.

I have a straight Bostich....seems to do everything I need it too

Last edited by PA woodbutcher; 06-24-2007 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothpick View Post
Holy crap, $30 shipping for a $20 dollar box DA 25's!

That's actually for 2 boxes toothpick. 2 for 50 shipped, no tax. That's about a ten dollar savings for me here. And his DA21's are 4 boxes for 71 shipped, no tax. That's 17.75 a box. So that ends up being almost a 40 dollar savings for me.... but maybe you guys are beating that. I'd like to know where because I'll be next in line.