YELP Keeps Calling Me. Anyone Actually Get Business In The Trades From Them?

Old 03-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #1

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 96

YELP Keeps Calling Me. Anyone Actually Get Business In The Trades From Them?

I get a call from Yelp at least once a week. They tell me I missed out on 2568 leads last month by not being a preferred plumber on yelp (meaning paying a boat load of money to them). I always feel like I'm being extorted by them. So I get the heeby-jeebys and get off the phone.

Is anyone in the trades getting a verifiable amount of business to justify their really high costs?

-Paschall

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 04-16-2017 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Remove link

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #2
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 362

Re: YELP Keeps Calling Me. Anyone Actually Get Business In The Trades From Them?

We actually benefited more from Google Reviews that are free. You should just get your clients leave a review for your business after you do the work.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to aquakbd For This Useful Post:
paschall (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 06:11 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 1,882

Re: YELP Keeps Calling Me. Anyone Actually Get Business In The Trades From Them?

How do they know that number of people would have viewed your profile.

And when they say leads they mean impressions a lead to me is someone who actually reaches out to me, they can't say every single person who viewed your profile would have been a lead.

I always question their numbers and watch them swuirm

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SectorSecurity For This Useful Post:
paschall (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #4
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 792

A couple things:

I know a few plumbers that do VERY well from Yelp but don't spend a dime. It depends on the size of your market. If you are in a well populated area then you don't need all the leads. Having a good amount of reviews and a fully set up profile is probably plenty.

They are typically VERY flexible on pricing. The last go around, they were offering me pricing that was half what they started with.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
paschall (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 07:23 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,386

I don't advertise on Yelp. But, have gotten a lot of good leads from them. It's good to get reviews on that site, as those who rely heavily on reviews, I believe, prefer yelp over google.

I noticed several of the big guys locally, they have about 120+ google reviews, but less than five yelp reviews.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
Pro

Does Yelp make you sign up to leave a review?

I know to do a google review you have to have a Google account

The Following User Says Thank You to SectorSecurity For This Useful Post:
myjunkyard (03-31-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 PM   #7
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorSecurity View Post

Yes, and they "filter" reviews heavily. Theoretically they bury reviews that are from brand new accounts or accounts that are suspected of being scammers. The reality is that they bury far more reviews of companies that aren't buying advertising. We had 10 reviews with none blocked but since the sales calls have ramped up we've had 4 of those reviews hidden, even though a few of them are from people with 3+ reviews.

The most irritating part is when a customer is so proud of leaving us a review and then sees that it was hidden. For that reason we're careful to let people know that the review may not post unless they're a regular Yelp user.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
paschall (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #8

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 96

Quote:

Yes they do make you sign up. And if you have not been a long standing Yelp reviewer, your review may not count. They do some weird stuff. My buddy who owns a carpet cleaning company says that he has clients leaving reviews for him all the time and less than 1/2 actually show up. But, if you're a paid advertiser - they mysteriously do. Hmm.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 04-16-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Remove link
Old 03-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #9
Pro

No payments to them here. I can't say that I have tracked how many have actually been written. I have lost reviews from Google.

I duno, the more I know, the less I know
Old 03-31-2017, 08:45 PM   #10
Pro

I will stick with Google reviews then.

My guess is far more people have a Google account already and I have never had them burry a review on me

Old 03-31-2017, 08:53 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 344

I get sick of all the yelp offices calling me. I've never paid for there advertising and I know if I did it would double or triple the calls from YELP!!!!!

But... I have gotten business from people finding my info off yelp. Mostly people out of town that have cabins in my area! Usually good people that don't nickel and dime you.

I would pay for yelp but not invest my whole ad budget into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #12
Pro

Quote:

My guess is far more people have a Google account already and I have never had them burry a review on me

One might want to get reveiws spread more across the board. As mentioned, it looks strange to see a company have 100+ reviews on google, but less than a hand-full on another site. Especially yelp / bing, as they seem to be in second place now.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:25 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,182

ask them to email you a demographic search result to you.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:06 PM   #14
Pro

Any time I have talked to help they refuse to provide any actual numbers they are happy to spout them out but provide actual proof no way

Old 04-03-2017, 12:52 AM   #15

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 4

I've never gotten any leads from Yelp. Ever.

Last edited by sandboxboyz; 04-03-2017 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #16

Trade: Carpet Cleaning
Rewards Points: 12

The paid Yelp listing is not worth it IMO. Whenever I search for things on Yelp, I skip the top two results, because I know they're paid. I just go straight to the "organic" stuff.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:57 AM   #17

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 202

they keep calling me too...i always say im too busy, then they ask if they can call tomorrow...i tell them they are mostly for restaurants, but they insist they can get me work....
Angies list called me 2x a week for approx 3 years...the have finally stopped and now only call quarterly.....now yelp is taking their place with the 2x a week calls....
Old 04-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #18
New Guy

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 86

Yelp is bad business. My dad used them onced and payed over 3,000 dollars for no leads at all because they were all price shoppers. Don't use them.

Lubbock Painters
(806) 223-4776
Old 04-11-2017, 03:19 PM   #19

Trade: General Contractor and Contractor Business Man
Rewards Points: 82

You could always use a post card referral service. My girlfriends step dad uses it. It hooks into his QuickBooks and sends out postcards to his customers with some type of coupon or nice message. Those customers usually refer more business and leave really nice reviews on his facebook page, manta page, google and google plus page, and his website. He stopped using Yelp because it is trash. The best business is repeat and referral.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:01 PM   #20
New Guy

Trade: Marketing
Rewards Points: 48

Quote:

This is an area that is of growing importance to every contractor. Google is actively using reviews right now in terms of local SEO for placement in map based searches and regular organic rankings. They index the content and quantity of reviews to help establish local prominence which is a stated local SEO factor.

When they move to the mobile first index, I envision review quantity, quality, and content to play an even bigger role.

Reputation Stacker is an excellent tool that is affordable, easy to use, and great for driving reviews.

https://reputationstacker.com/

(I have no affiliation or reseller status with them, just use it on behalf of multiple clients and drive tons of reviews)

Advertisement