What Are These Numbers Saying??

Old 02-03-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Asphalt Paving & Excavating
Rewards Points: 50

What Are These Numbers Saying??

On occasion we will run out at the end of a season to get a flavor for how many folks bought projects regardless if they bought from us or someone else. We started doing this as a means of knowing who we may want to re-market to and see if we can pull back a non buyer..

We'd take all unsold quotes, map them on a free routing software, split up the areas grouping by zip code, and send our salesman and marketing manager to go have a look and see what got done from all our unsold leads..

Unfortunately, for the express intent of re-marketing the exercise didn't yield an adequate return so for a number of years we didn't do this. Though this past end of 2017 season was one of the years I opted to do do it again.. not so much for re-marketing but I just wanted to see what the market was doing.. I mean I think as business owners we have a gut feeling but I wanted to know actual numbers..

Historically even in really good times (2005, 2006, 2007) it was averaging around 50%. So I mean we were simply taking say..500 unsold jobs, driving by to see if they had anyone do it..and it was around 250 jobs actually getting done of that 500..

This winter in looking at the unsold jobs it came to light 60% were done. That being: of the 420 residential fresh leads coming in that we had opportunity to run, 250 got done and 170 did not.. Of that 250 jobs we put in 110 leaving 140 that were installed by our competitors.. That means of the actual buying consumers in the past season, we sold 44% of all sold jobs in the market space of buyers..

Knowing that in our re-marketing efforts 1 or 2 will buy in the 2018 season (us or someone else).. Essentially this says there's a substantial number of non buyers.. Folks who did not buy a project from anyone regardless of price..it simply is not getting done..

So I'm wondering do the number simply say get more leads and run them to grab my 44%?? Or are we wasting a butt load of effort on tire kickers?? Or do we need to be harder on pre-qualification?? Or am I just doing really great and should i start planning my retirement??

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 24,354

Re: What Are These Numbers Saying??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyE View Post
So I'm wondering do the number simply say get more leads and run them to grab my 44%?? Or are we wasting a butt load of effort on tire kickers?? Or do we need to be harder on pre-qualification?? Or am I just doing really great and should i start planning my retirement??
Yes...

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 01:57 AM   #3
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,564

Re: What Are These Numbers Saying??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyE View Post
On occasion we will run out at the end of a season to get a flavor for how many folks bought projects regardless if they bought from us or someone else. We started doing this as a means of knowing who we may want to re-market to and see if we can pull back a non buyer..

We'd take all unsold quotes, map them on a free routing software, split up the areas grouping by zip code, and send our salesman and marketing manager to go have a look and see what got done from all our unsold leads..

Unfortunately, for the express intent of re-marketing the exercise didn't yield an adequate return so for a number of years we didn't do this. Though this past end of 2017 season was one of the years I opted to do do it again.. not so much for re-marketing but I just wanted to see what the market was doing.. I mean I think as business owners we have a gut feeling but I wanted to know actual numbers..

Historically even in really good times (2005, 2006, 2007) it was averaging around 50%. So I mean we were simply taking say..500 unsold jobs, driving by to see if they had anyone do it..and it was around 250 jobs actually getting done of that 500..

This winter in looking at the unsold jobs it came to light 60% were done. That being: of the 420 residential fresh leads coming in that we had opportunity to run, 250 got done and 170 did not.. Of that 250 jobs we put in 110 leaving 140 that were installed by our competitors.. That means of the actual buying consumers in the past season, we sold 44% of all sold jobs in the market space of buyers..

Knowing that in our re-marketing efforts 1 or 2 will buy in the 2018 season (us or someone else).. Essentially this says there's a substantial number of non buyers.. Folks who did not buy a project from anyone regardless of price..it simply is not getting done..

I'm all for retirement. That's got my vote.

Mike.