Website Under Construction, Looking For Feedback

Old 06-01-2017, 11:08 PM   #1

Trade: Volunteer Coordinator
Rewards Points: 132

Website Under Construction, Looking For Feedback

Hey guys, I still have my day job running volunteer crews but am getting more serious about my side work.

I'm hoping to promote it and gain leads through a variety of sources, a web presence being one of them.

Thanks in advance for any insight or guidance you may have.

http://cbdesignbuild.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-02-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
Co-Founder - Lead Ladder

Trade: Roofer Internet Marketing
Rewards Points: 76

Re: Website Under Construction, Looking For Feedback

Nice start! I'm sure you already have this in the works but a Gallery of your work is going to be your biggest selling point.

SEO tip there: have your image file sizes shrunk as low as possible without killing the quality. Huge file sizes are the #1 issue I see with site speed, something Google is valuing highly.

Run your site through this when you're done for feedback: https://testmysite.thinkwithgoogle.com/

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Lane13 For This Useful Post:
corbin (06-02-2017)
Old 06-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin View Post
Hey guys, I still have my day job running volunteer crews but am getting more serious about my side work.

I'm hoping to promote it and gain leads through a variety of sources, a web presence being one of them.

Thanks in advance for any insight or guidance you may have.

http://cbdesignbuild.com
I was going to offer you some pointers then I noticed in the footer it says powereed by go daddy, so I will start out by saying re do the site using wordpress, you will eventually anyways.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
cbscreative (06-06-2017), corbin (06-02-2017), Lane13 (06-02-2017)

Old 06-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I was going to offer you some pointers then I noticed in the footer it says powereed by go daddy, so I will start out by saying re do the site using wordpress, you will eventually anyways.
What are some of the things you find advantageous about wordpress?

After a minimal bit of reading it seems they offer a lot of the same things the host I chose does. I don't mean to be thick, I'm just hoping for a bit of elaboration.

Thanks again

Corbin
Old 06-02-2017, 04:59 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbin View Post
What are some of the things you find advantageous about wordpress?

After a minimal bit of reading it seems they offer a lot of the same things the host I chose does. I don't mean to be thick, I'm just hoping for a bit of elaboration.

Thanks again

Corbin
One of the most alarming is that you cant export the site if you want to leave.

May not seem like much now, but after you develop the site and spend money on seo, get a blog rolling, maybe with comments, all that becomes valuable and almost impossible for a regular joe to re-create by hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
corbin (06-02-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 09:22 PM   #6

I want to bump this thread back to new posts on a Saturday night because I know a lot of the staple posters are on here right about now.

Let me know what you think about format and content, I have some changes in place- I'm using wordpress as a host, and am putting together a gallery, and am downsizing images to streamline the website.

If you'd be willing to share some things you ran into while building a website I'd be very appreciative, like most of you I'm better at making things with my hands than making things online. That being said, I'm not going to hire someone to do what I can accomplish when I set my mind to it.

Thanks to everyone for everything I learn from you on this site and thank you for your feedback in advance

I'll take everything with a grain of salt- don't worry about sugar coating, I am seeking honest opinions to guide my final website design.

Corbin
Old 06-04-2017, 02:16 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 544

Quote:
That being said, I'm not going to hire someone to do what I can accomplish when I set my mind to it.
Corbin, you are too far from the mark right now to provide you with any real helpful advice on that particular site. Worrying about optimizing and renaming your images, etc... at this point is just good practice for some really basic items but you need to lay the foundation with your entire website first.

If you're going Wordpress, to make life easier for you, I'd stick with a Wordpress theme builder of some type (preferably NOT Themeforest). There are many page builders to choose from. It will save you lots of time.

What services are you trying to target? Write a list. You'll need a page of content for each service. They are like fishing lines. Write content for each one, concentrate on your customers pain points. Lack of storage? Safety of a loved one? etc.. There is plenty to write about for each service a contractor could offer.

You don't need to write an essay for each page but it must be helpful content and most of all, actionable. It must spur your reader into doing something. That type of copy isn't easy to write, as simple as it may seem.

A website (even with crappy copy) will convert better all around and generate a much better quality of prospect if you have stellar photos of your work (lacking right now), backed up with some glowing client reviews.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to carlsore For This Useful Post:
corbin (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 06:43 AM   #8
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 454

I love that you put up the section What Sets Us Apart - great idea! You definitely need a gallery to showcase your work. If you don't have a lot of photos, start small, and then build it and fill it as time goes by and projects multiply. Make a habit of taking photos of your work. The image in the section About us seems too large. You should take care of it. Your content seems great, just make sure to optimize it for search - include relevant keywords so people who need your services can easily find you. Don't forget to include your location. Make a promotional video about your business/work, upload it to YouTube and then embed it into your website.
The Following User Says Thank You to aquakbd For This Useful Post:
corbin (06-04-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
Co-Founder - Lead Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsore View Post
What services are you trying to target? Write a list. You'll need a page of content for each service. They are like fishing lines. Write content for each one, concentrate on your customers pain points. Lack of storage? Safety of a loved one? etc.. There is plenty to write about for each service a contractor could offer.

Can't agree with that more, can't get lazy about content. The more specific your pages are to services you provide, the easier it will be later to drive customers to the information they want, which will increase the number of them that decide to contact you.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:12 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,484

A Website is only half the work.

You need to make sure your google local places listing is claimed, properly filled out, and has some good pics.

You need an SSL certificate for your site - Google ranks that now.

And like said above - Content, content, content. The more quality content you have, the better you'll perform in search AND the more people will trust your site when they land there.
corbin (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 07:52 AM   #11
Co-Founder - Lead Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
You need to make sure your google local places listing is claimed, properly filled out, and has some good pics.

You need an SSL certificate for your site - Google ranks that now.
Ah yes and in that same vein, signing up for Google Webmaster Tools is important, allows Google to better scan your site. Submit your Sitemap, make sure they can see your Privacy Policy, etc. Link up Google Analytics there too: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home
The Following User Says Thank You to Lane13 For This Useful Post:
corbin (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #12
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 5,712

a good thread!
Old 06-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #13

Thanks to everyone who has taken a moment to give me some direction. I appreciate you all.

Corbin
Old 06-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #14
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,162

I see you got rid of the GoDaddy ad at the bottom but I strongly recommend you go with all the advice so far to set up the site with WordPress (NOT wordpress.com but wordpress.org and choose a good theme). Hosting a WP site can be done with any reputable host and GoDaddy is NOT recommended for hosting.

If you want a good demonstration for why you are dead in the water with your current site, right click anywhere on your Home page and choose View Source. That code is scary even for an expert like me. You are soooo being held hostage to proprietary tech it could be considered unethical. Like JBM pointed out, you'll never be able to migrate that to any other place and the day will come where you will want to.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbscreative For This Useful Post:
corbin (06-06-2017)
Old 06-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
I see you got rid of the GoDaddy ad at the bottom but I strongly recommend you go with all the advice so far to set up the site with WordPress (NOT wordpress.com but wordpress.org and choose a good theme). Hosting a WP site can be done with any reputable host and GoDaddy is NOT recommended for hosting.

If you want a good demonstration for why you are dead in the water with your current site, right click anywhere on your Home page and choose View Source. That code is scary even for an expert like me. You are soooo being held hostage to proprietary tech it could be considered unethical. Like JBM pointed out, you'll never be able to migrate that to any other place and the day will come where you will want to.
Thanks

I don't want you all to think I'm ignoring your advice, it's just taking me some time to implement all of my changes and learn to effectively use wordpress software.

I have bought hosting from wordpress and am currently designing the page before I publish. I'm leaving the godaddy site up while I'm working on the new one.

I've made some changes to the current page mainly so it's not an embarrassment in the mean time before I get my new site published.

Thanks again to all of you, I'm glad to be taking care of my hosting properly now and not a year or so down the road- that's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to get out of this thread.

Great advice all around, I'm going to get everything on track as soon as I can.

Corbin
Old 06-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #16

Trade: Irrigation contractor
Rewards Points: 8

I like it. I think you should replace the picture on your home page with some of your work, and probably start the gallery with a picture of the backsplash instead of the pass through counter, but otherwise you're on the right track.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to AquaFloLI For This Useful Post:
corbin (06-08-2017)