Video Marketing

Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,846

Video Marketing

I have been tossing videos in my head for a while now and cant quite find a way to make it work that seems appealing. No one will want to watch a video of a mason building something or cutting anything, I dont think. I came across this video today and would like everyones opinion on if it is even remotely close to what is considered good content creation.

http://constitutionthinstoneveneers....-stone-veneer/

I have looked at probably 200 contractor videos and most all of them make me cringe. My gut tells me its better not to have any videos then horrible-nails on a chalkboard experience.

I have come across a few very tactful ones too, it is possible.

The types that seem to work the best are interviews with customers, possibly given a set of questions before hand so it was more polished.

Someone who is more then a beginner with a video camera is a must.

the ability to have a brand able intro before each video adds polish

In the day and age where the sophistication of web interactions is increasing it feels if the contractor site and generally shopping experience could be lulling behind. Social media isnt exactly born and bred for construction, videos-again tough for contractors to do well, email marketing-not likely, so on and so forth.

Youtube is announcing soon a pay for membership video channels. again , contractors will be left out.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 05-12-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Fix link

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #2
Web Strategy & Design

Trade: Support
Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to DianaHeuser

Re: Video Marketing

Hi JBM,

The link does not work. I think an interview with a happy customer is a good idea.

There is a simpler solution. You can buy PLR video material for your industry and then use a simple program like Windows Movie Maker to edit it and brand it.

You can see an example of one that I did here. Took me all of 5 minutes.

http://www.joburgplumbers.co.za/

Di

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
YB

Trade: Atlanta
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I have been tossing videos in my head for a while now and cant quite find a way to make it work that seems appealing. No one will want to watch a video of a mason building something or cutting anything, I dont think. I came across this video today and would like everyones opinion on if it is even remotely close to what is considered good content creation.

http://constitutionthinstoneveneers....-stone-veneer/

I have looked at probably 200 contractor videos and most all of them make me cringe. My gut tells me its better not to have any videos then horrible-nails on a chalkboard experience.

I have come across a few very tactful ones too, it is possible.

The types that seem to work the best are interviews with customers, possibly given a set of questions before hand so it was more polished.

Someone who is more then a beginner with a video camera is a must.

the ability to have a brand able intro before each video adds polish

In the day and age where the sophistication of web interactions is increasing it feels if the contractor site and generally shopping experience could be lulling behind. Social media isnt exactly born and bred for construction, videos-again tough for contractors to do well, email marketing-not likely, so on and so forth.

Youtube is announcing soon a pay for membership video channels. again , contractors will be left out.

Thoughts?
though not completely relevant, there was a video I watched awhile back of a mason (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VGjA66RSm0) that I surprisingly watched for way too long. It was just somewhat relaxing lol

Old 05-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,624

I've been playing with the idea of video......so far that is about as far as I got.
flashheatingand (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 11:10 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaHeuser View Post
Hi JBM,

The link does not work. I think an interview with a happy customer is a good idea.

There is a simpler solution. You can buy PLR video material for your industry and then use a simple program like Windows Movie Maker to edit it and brand it.

You can see an example of one that I did here. Took me all of 5 minutes.

http://www.joburgplumbers.co.za/

Di
Thanks!

I broke the link, just put the pieces together. I didnt want any hurt feelings if people didnt like the video.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBM For This Useful Post:
DianaHeuser (05-12-2013)
Old 05-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerob81 View Post
though not completely relevant, there was a video I watched awhile back of a mason (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VGjA66RSm0) that I surprisingly watched for way too long. It was just somewhat relaxing lol
Yes! That is why masons dont have many videos
Old 05-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,021

Hey JBM, How about short and sweet before, during and after project videos? If customers are looking for a similar type of project, they will watch it and most likely give you a call.

Kind of like these:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
JBM (05-16-2013), MOTB (11-09-2017)
Old 05-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,674

Maybe it's just me, but I could do without the sound track. A good narrative would help: What am I looking at, what's wrong, what needs to be done to fix it, how was it fixed, why is it now better than what it was.

I can't tell you how many times I am gone into situations where the client thinks everything is ok, but in fact, it is totally screwed. Or, the client knows something is wrong, but doesn't know what or why.

A narrative that explains the problem, offers a solution, explains the solution, shows the solution, then a summary of why this was the "best" solution for the problem.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
President of the world

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 2,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerob81 View Post
the comment section below this video is gold!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by world llc View Post
the comment section below this video is gold!!!
LOL! I missed that, wow. Laying block is serious biznazz as they say.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Mixalot View Post
Hey JBM, How about short and sweet before, during and after project videos? If customers are looking for a similar type of project, they will watch it and most likely give you a call.

Kind of like these:
Ya I think those are done nice I like the branding at the end as well. Did you do those yourself> Of coarse you did never mind
Old 05-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #12

Trade: Handyman

Having spent time as a video producer for webpages in the past, I would recommend a short, still image video with a nice narrative. Explain the steps and what the job involves. People are mostly visually oriented. I have found through other areas, not construction, that they work. I used to make videos for real estate agents, hair salons, and tattoo artists. They all increased their sales through them. Maybe I will update my software and make some for contractors
The Following User Says Thank You to IanSB For This Useful Post:
JBM (05-16-2013)
Old 06-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #13
Marketing Consultant

Trade: Website Development and Lead Generation
Rewards Points: 98

Video marketing and SEO happens to be one of my favorite subjects because I've seen first hand what a good video marketing strategy can do for contractors. Video is a great marketing tool and I encourage you to experiment with it if you have the means. So allow me to offer some ideas based on what I've seen with our clients:

The best performing videos are the ones that provide some type of value to the viewer. Videos that help them solve problems, accomplish something, help the viewers see you as an authority on your field OR convey trustworthiness.
That said here are the types of videos that perform the best for the contractors I work with are:

1 Educational videos. How-to videos, Tips & Hacks, Dos and Dont's, Product Information. What would your customer be interested in learning? What can you teach?
2. Story-telling videos - Job Walkthrough Videos, Before and Afters, Case Studies.
3. Customer testimonials -- they are not the champions in terms of views but they are a great asset to the channel, they drive conversion and aid in the sales process.

Videos perform better when they look professional, or at least have good quality images and sound.

Videos that are really short, preferably less that 3 minutes have better retention rates -- meaning people are more likely to watch to the end. Plan to have all the important stuff said in 3 minutes.

Once the video is ready, if you want to get the best return for the investment, make sure it is search optimized so that it can be found in searches. Look for Video SEO tips online or if you work with an SEO company, ask if they work with Video SEO. This is very important. People search videos in a different way than they search everything else. The search queries are different, different keywords. Videos also have different ranking factors so -- if you want the maximum exposure for your video -- you will want to get it as well optimized as possible

I hope this helps you with some ideas too.
The Following User Says Thank You to CyFree For This Useful Post:
JBM (06-10-2014)
Old 11-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #14

Trade: Painter

In my opinion, short little "how to" videos or before and after videos are great to use on websites, social media, and emails. The trick is keeping them short and informative. Also on topics people want to know or are interested.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:02 PM   #15
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 454

There are some video maker platforms like Biteable where you can create videos that consist of your images, photos, and there are also templates to put your information, logo. You can add music and download the video directly to YouTube, or download it and upload it to YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, or embed it to your website.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:26 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Estimator
Rewards Points: 802

Teach them something, establish yourself as an expert, pitch them a deal at the end, and then give them a call to action.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #17
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Craig View Post
Teach them something, establish yourself as an expert, pitch them a deal at the end, and then give them a call to action.
Only thing I would not do is "pitch a deal" since the videos stay for a long time and perhaps he will not want to always offer a deai. He should just promote what he does and how to be reached, but no reason to offer a deal while establishing credibility (in my opinion).
Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #18
Pro

I love it when people bring up old threads.....

Video marketing is dead, placing small tiny ads is where its at.

You would have to be older to know where that came from at this point I think
Old 11-11-2017, 07:25 PM   #19

Trade: painting & flooring
Rewards Points: 120

I don't know. We made some videos, and posted them on YouTube. But I don't think they every generated any business. Most people searching for our service on youtube are DIYer's, and want to get a crash course on how to do their own work. I'd rather just stick with google adwords.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #20
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,622

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaperRiot View Post
I don't know. We made some videos, and posted them on YouTube. But I don't think they every generated any business. Most people searching for our service on youtube are DIYer's, and want to get a crash course on how to do their own work. I'd rather just stick with google adwords.
Are we talking about the website connected to your CT profile?

First thing I went to do was click in your YouTube channel but did not see it anywhere. And instead of contact information on the Header, there was a Lending Tree advertisement.

Perhaps you are referencing a different website when making the comments? If not, I would sooner be promoting your business objectives as opposed to offering huge advertising space on an important part of real estate of your website. And of course have a link to the related YouTube videos too.

Advertisement