Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2015, 11:50 AM   #21
FencesNDecks
 
bradcoopersmith's Avatar
 
Trade: Fences Decks
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 44

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ContractorMstry View Post
It really is a tough call and maybe it is best to survey your past customers to see what they have to say about it. It also depends if you are trying to become a big company. If so, then I would say keep it. Some people are drawn to a big strong company over little ones and some people stay away from big companies to support local guys.

I would survey first and then decide. You could maybe do the best of both worlds. Have the vanity number for easy remembering and have a subhead or tagline with emphasis on the fact that you are a local small business owner and not some giant multi location business.
You mean something like this?
bradcoopersmith is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 08-31-2015, 12:22 PM   #22
Registered User
 
Bmangnitz's Avatar
 
Trade: Pest Wildlife Control
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 8

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


I would use both of them. And use a call forwarder like grasshopper phones.

Advertise your 888 number and under it put your cell with the local number. If you service more then one area code, then purchase another number and have it forward.

So for us we service all of Florida.
I advertise a 1888 number becuase I feel it makes us look like a big company and its looks more professional.

Then under that number I say, call your local technician.
and have those numbers listed. Or your cell, and that will give it the Personal touch.

So now the customer sees several numbers and assumes that it is a very big company so they decide to go with us vs a smaller company for confidence that job will get done etc.

Now each of these numbers is only $5 a month from Grasshopper.
I set up call forwarding so that each number will ring to one central number, my office manager, or it can be to your cell phone.

It works VERY very well for us. Check out my website and you can see all the numbers, but if you call any of them Eric will answer and can then dispatch the call or forward it to whomever may need to answer it.
www.CenturianWildlife.com
__________________
Centurian Wildlife Control
Animal Trapping, Exclusions, Attic Restoration
www.CenturianWildlife.com
Bmangnitz is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Bmangnitz For This Useful Post:
NYgutterguy (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #23
Pro
 
cedarboarder's Avatar
 
Trade: Workaholic
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 646
Rewards Points: 1,324

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


I ditch my 1 800 number. the initial reason was to lower all my bills.
I had a 1 800 # that went to an answering service, name and # type deal. my phone would also forward calls to this #.
What I found was I lost touch with my biz. I don't regret ditching it at all besides the google and sales calls.
cedarboarder is online now  
   
 
Old 09-01-2015, 10:46 AM   #24
FencesNDecks
 
bradcoopersmith's Avatar
 
Trade: Fences Decks
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 44

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmangnitz View Post
I would use both of them. And use a call forwarder like grasshopper phones.

Advertise your 888 number and under it put your cell with the local number. If you service more then one area code, then purchase another number and have it forward.

So for us we service all of Florida.
I advertise a 1888 number becuase I feel it makes us look like a big company and its looks more professional.

Then under that number I say, call your local technician.
and have those numbers listed. Or your cell, and that will give it the Personal touch.

So now the customer sees several numbers and assumes that it is a very big company so they decide to go with us vs a smaller company for confidence that job will get done etc.

Now each of these numbers is only $5 a month from Grasshopper.
I set up call forwarding so that each number will ring to one central number, my office manager, or it can be to your cell phone.

It works VERY very well for us. Check out my website and you can see all the numbers, but if you call any of them Eric will answer and can then dispatch the call or forward it to whomever may need to answer it.
www.CenturianWildlife.com

I think having a consistent brand is most important. That means having consistent marketing, including your number. I see too many contractors with too much info on their trucks and advertisements.

Your advertisements, trucks, and pretty all of your marketing is lucky to get 2 seconds of a consumer's attention. In that time you need to be able to tell them how to reach you and what you do. I like the vanity number because it tells people exactly what you do and how to reach you in the same breathe.

Look at the photo I've attached. Which one would you remember? One of them as THREE phone numbers on them, the other a single easy to remember vanity number. People know you are local because your truck is in their market and they have indicated they've been in business for a long time on there.

bradcoopersmith is offline  
Old 09-02-2015, 02:50 AM   #25
Registered User
 
RoofSolutions's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 14

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bradcoopersmith View Post
I think having a consistent brand is most important. That means having consistent marketing, including your number. I see too many contractors with too much info on their trucks and advertisements.

Your advertisements, trucks, and pretty all of your marketing is lucky to get 2 seconds of a consumer's attention. In that time you need to be able to tell them how to reach you and what you do. I like the vanity number because it tells people exactly what you do and how to reach you in the same breathe.

Look at the photo I've attached. Which one would you remember? One of them as THREE phone numbers on them, the other a single easy to remember vanity number. People know you are local because your truck is in their market and they have indicated they've been in business for a long time on there.

In all fairness, the 1 number on the truck is much larger and easier to read, especially on the road. Putting 3 numbers on a truck like that isn't advisable. Advertising on your trucks is more of a branding tool so it makes more sense to have a number that is memorable and in big font.

_____________
ElPasoRoofingRemodeling.com
RoofSolutions is offline  
Old 09-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #26
FencesNDecks
 
bradcoopersmith's Avatar
 
Trade: Fences Decks
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Detroit
Posts: 23
Rewards Points: 44

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofSolutions View Post
In all fairness, the 1 number on the truck is much larger and easier to read, especially on the road. Putting 3 numbers on a truck like that isn't advisable. Advertising on your trucks is more of a branding tool so it makes more sense to have a number that is memorable and in big font.

_____________
ElPasoRoofingRemodeling.com
Thank you. spoken like someone who understands marketing.
bradcoopersmith is offline  
Old 04-08-2016, 01:44 AM   #27
Registered User
 
noahsroofing's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofing
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El Paso
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 2

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


It can be a great idea to show size and confidence in a company however if you're a roofing contractor having a 800 number might come off as a "fly by night" company. If you take that route follow up with providing legitimate reviews and testimonials.

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 04-08-2016 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Remove link
noahsroofing is offline  
Old 09-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #28
Marketing Manager
 
kevinmckenzie's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeling Expert
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 39
Rewards Points: 334

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


We tested this exact question - local numbers get more calls, customers just feel more comfortable knowing that you're in the neighborhood.
__________________
Spectrum Communications & Consulting is a Chicago-based digital marketing firm that represents more Big 50 remodeling award winners than any other agency.
kevinmckenzie is offline  
Old 10-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #29
Pro
 
cedarboarder's Avatar
 
Trade: Workaholic
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 646
Rewards Points: 1,324

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


dont regret dumping my 1800 #just another expense.
cedarboarder is online now  
Old 10-10-2017, 10:42 PM   #30
Pro
 
Dean Craig's Avatar
 
Trade: Estimator
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 368
Rewards Points: 802

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgutterguy View Post
Felt like things were getting stale so going through a bit of a makeover. New logo, new site, lettering on my pick up, business cards, and yard signs for this year. Just not sure about my 888 number anymore.

Ive been using a my 888 phone number which is on both my cube vans that run the entire length of the truck for last 15 years. My pickup just has mags on doors with website on tailgate. Both vans are old so not gonna change up whats already on them because my luck ill wrap them and theyll die right after.

I also have a local number for where i live for local advertising and another local number that has been the company number since 1970 in a different county.(yes too many numbers) I personally dont think phone numbers matter anymore.

Part of me always felt like the 888 number might turn some people away cause might appear like im a bigger company when in reality im just a small local guy and thats how i present myself.

Is it time to get rid of the toll free number? Should i just pick one of the local numbers and use it exclusively? Will keep all numbers active but not sure if i want it on any of the new stuff.

The toll free number spells out "NO-SEAM" btw
Get rid of whatever's not working and increase what is working. Simple as that.
Dean Craig is offline  
Old 10-10-2017, 11:02 PM   #31
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 4,062
Rewards Points: 132

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Craig View Post
Get rid of whatever's not working and increase what is working. Simple as that.


I wouldn't know what was working and what wasn't. Never really paid attention to who was calling on what number. Been two years since stopped using number. Don't miss it def don't need it now. Site gets me enough leads to keep me busy as I want to be


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
Old 10-10-2017, 11:12 PM   #32
Pro
 
Windycity's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,073
Rewards Points: 4,556

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


Considering the fact that almost everybody uses cell phones which don't charge you for minutes or long-distance why would you pay for a 1800-number? In my opinion like stated above that's ancient technology/advertising

Unless the number is catchy and easy to remember


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Windycity is online now  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:50 AM   #33
water re-locater
 
NYgutterguy's Avatar
 
Trade: Gutter installer
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: orange/rockland ny NYC suburbs
Posts: 4,062
Rewards Points: 132

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Windycity View Post
Considering the fact that almost everybody uses cell phones which don't charge you for minutes or long-distance why would you pay for a 1800-number? In my opinion like stated above that's ancient technology/advertising

Unless the number is catchy and easy to remember


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


My number is still active though not visible anywhere besides my cube vans. It's 888-8no-seam Got it over 20 years ago.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NYgutterguy is online now  
Old 10-11-2017, 10:48 AM   #34
Pro
 
RMDailey's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpenter
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bryan-College Station, Texas
Posts: 120
Rewards Points: 266

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


The amount of work I get by Text message is staggering. I'm a small one-man show so most of my jobs are under $10k. I've never had a landline for personal or business. It's useless IMO. Put your local number up and say call or text.

However if you're number has been out there for decades it may be good to keep it, but strip it down to the cheapest possible plan and forward it to your cell.
RMDailey is offline  
Old 10-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #35
Pro
 
Dean Craig's Avatar
 
Trade: Estimator
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 368
Rewards Points: 802

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


Quote:
Originally Posted by RMDailey View Post
The amount of work I get by Text message is staggering. I'm a small one-man show so most of my jobs are under $10k. I've never had a landline for personal or business. It's useless IMO. Put your local number up and say call or text.

However if you're number has been out there for decades it may be good to keep it, but strip it down to the cheapest possible plan and forward it to your cell.
Yea man a lot of people prefer to text before they'll call nowadays. Thanks for using my favorite word "staggering" lol
Dean Craig is offline  
Old 10-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #36
Driveway Cleaner
 
RalphQ's Avatar
 
Trade: Pressure Washing/Gutter Cleaning
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Tampa /Palm Harbor Florida
Posts: 80
Rewards Points: 214

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


Wow. I am in Florida. 50% of the calls that come in are out of state numbers. Why do you even need an 800 number these days?
RalphQ is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 01:00 PM   #37
Registered User
 
phmservices2's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: CT / NY
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 12

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


if we called from a non-local number everyone just automatically thinks its spam, which 99.9999% of the time it is, so we only use local numbers.
phmservices2 is offline  
Old 11-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #38
Registered User
 
mrdavid567's Avatar
 
Trade: roofing
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 14
Rewards Points: 36

Re: Time To Dump The Toll Free Number?


I live in upstate NY and probably half of my business comes with out of state area codes.
Seems that a lot of people move and keep their old numbers now.

I do not dare not answer out of state area codes anymore.

Advertisement

mrdavid567 is online now  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Estimate Time: 34 ft Steel Trawler (pics) diablo Sandblasting 43 12-24-2012 03:07 PM
Homebuilding expected to add to GDP - first time since 2005 SmallTownGuy General Discussion 35 12-04-2012 09:21 PM
How much FREE time do I give boss? salth20 General Discussion 32 12-03-2012 11:43 PM
Toll Free Number marketingchick Marketing & Sales 1 07-23-2009 11:04 AM
toll free number warning wilsongc Marketing & Sales 8 11-02-2008 08:33 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?