Super Marketing Campaign Should Be Kept A Secret!

Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Super Marketing Campaign Should Be Kept A Secret!

SALES FROM INSPECTION OLD JOBS

I think I posted this before and can't remember. I'm getting a little senile. The reason, I may be posting, this again is because, I am ecstatic about how great this campaign works, and this campaign has kept my business afloat, in this economy.

My second reason, for posting this campaign, is because I considered how this would work, for contractors, who do remodeling, new construction, etc., and I know it will work great, if you give it consideration, and implement it in a methodical, and efficient way.

I started, using this campaign, about one year ago, and it did not work, because I did not have the proper database, and systems, for tracking, in place. With my free Customer List database, I was able to implement this system, so efficiently, this campaign has been my main source of income during these difficult times.

I hope some contractors will implement this idea and let us know how you do. I will be more than happy to assist, anyone, for free, with writing letters, and modifying the database. Only for the serious!

Many contractors are going to find that this is one of the best advertising campaigns, ever. Send 100 letters, to your customers, and 90% of your customers will respond. Your cost, for each potential sale, will cost you less than 85 cents. The best part is; these are your old customers, and they are your best customers.

This advertising campaign will work for several types of contractors.

This is how this campaign works and it is too simple. You send 100 letters, to customers you did large jobs for. These could be room additions, new homes, foundation walls, copper repipes, furnaces, roofs, roof valleys, sewers, new drain installations, electrical wiring, roofs. etc.

Your letter tells the customer that you want to inspect only one or a few items. Don't make the letter confusing.

Your letter tells your customers, you gave them a guarantees, and you want to inspect the integrity of your work (list only one or two items), glued joints, copper joints, fire-box, foundation wall, roof, gutters, storm caps, structure integrity, mold, water drainage, wiring, drainage,. etc. The letter tells the customer that you will inspect the job, for free, and if there is a problem, you will repair the problem for free.

People love this idea. We send out 100 letters and the phones start ringing the next day. Guess what happens when people are so happy with us. While inspecting our jobs, these people need more work. Almost every customer needs something and we are closing very large sales on 50% of our inspections. This week, we sold three floor furnaces, drain jobs, a copper repipe, and a huge clean-up job in an attic, removing blown-in insulation, that was contaminated with animal waste.

The first thing we do, when we arrive at the customer's home, is hand them a handful of ink pens and a few business cards. We carry a camera and take pictures of everything. If we find nothing is wrong, smile, and thank the customer. When you find something wrong, give it your best to do what is right. This past Monday, we inspected 6 jobs in less than two hours.

I prefer not to mention the amount of money sold from inspections, but it is more than most will believe. You will find sample letters, in our Customer List database in the File Swamp section.

Checking your jobs should be something that you are willing to do just to provide good customer service and build your business. Posts tell me that it is obvious that few to no plumbers actually call their customers a year later and say, 'hello, this is Acme Plumbing. How is everything working? The reason I am calling is because I would like to let you know that we appreciate your good business and we would like to make sure that the work we did is still working fine, ........and on and on.

Thank you for being a great customer. We (company name) would like to thank you for your business.

Most likely, you are aware that the piping (furnace, or whatever) has an Original Owner Lifetime Guarantee and we would like to honor that guarantee. In order to honor your guarantee, (company name) we do periodic inspections to check the integrity of the of the piping installed and to make sure that our work does not cause any physical damage to the occupants or to your property.

Bestline will be performing you inspection between Monday July 21 and Friday July 25, between 9 am and 4 pm. We will be calling to schedule a firm appointment, or you may call us to schedule an appointment before or after the dates we have suggested.

This inspection is absolutely free and there rare no obligations of any type.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Jack
The Big Boss

Last edited by pcplumber; 11-21-2008 at 07:57 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
Celtic's #1 Fan

Trade: electrical
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Super Marketing Campaign Should Be Kept A Secret!

do i have to forward this to 10 friends in the next 2 mins to get good luck?

Advertisement

Old 11-21-2008, 08:25 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlere View Post
That depends on what you want. The word 'luck' is not in my vocabulary. If you want make sure you get 'luck', mail it to 100 friends. If you want 'money' look into this system, or use the idea to devise something better.

I wish you 'Lots Of Money' instead.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 282

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahlere View Post

He does have ways for promoting himself & his software - doesn't he?

However, his idea does have merit for those GC's that don't schedule warranty visits or sub trades that install products directly for HO's. If you have sub'd out work for a GC - consult him first, before talking to those HO's.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Celtic's #1 Fan

Trade: electrical

it is a good idea...it's pretty well known in the sales circles...it's just that he delivered it like a chain email or 2 am infomercial....
Old 11-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,054

Yes, the follow up idea has substantial merit. Be prepared for the unforseen possibility that you actually do have to honor some aspect of your warranty upon your visit to these locations, as they just may have never considered calling about something so trite, but since you are there anyways.....Why Not have you check on this or that, right?

What if those, "Check This Out" situations have nothing to do with your work or your view of it being a warrantable problem to need resolution?

Do you still go ahead and just figure that not too many will pursue that or do you pull out the Extra Work Authorization or Service Call Agreement Forms?

By doing so, does that create amicable customer relations or a new spite about you not backing up your work, even if they knew it really wasn't directly related, but as long as you are there, shouldn't you have just taken care of it for them?

How big is the potential for a can of worms getting opened up in these circumstances?

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcplumber View Post
SALES FROM INSPECTION OLD JOBS

I think I posted this before and can't remember. I'm getting a little senile. The reason, I may be posting, this again is because, I am ecstatic about how great this campaign works, and this campaign has kept my business afloat, in this economy.

My second reason, for posting this campaign, is because I considered how this would work, for contractors, who do remodeling, new construction, etc., and I know it will work great, if you give it consideration, and implement it in a methodical, and efficient way.

I started, using this campaign, about one year ago, and it did not work, because I did not have the proper database, and systems, for tracking, in place. With my free Customer List database, I was able to implement this system, so efficiently, this campaign has been my main source of income during these difficult times.

I hope some contractors will implement this idea and let us know how you do. I will be more than happy to assist, anyone, for free, with writing letters, and modifying the database. Only for the serious!

Many contractors are going to find that this is one of the best advertising campaigns, ever. Send 100 letters, to your customers, and 90% of your customers will respond. Your cost, for each potential sale, will cost you less than 85 cents. The best part is; these are your old customers, and they are your best customers.

This advertising campaign will work for several types of contractors.

This is how this campaign works and it is too simple. You send 100 letters, to customers you did large jobs for. These could be room additions, new homes, foundation walls, copper repipes, furnaces, roofs, roof valleys, sewers, new drain installations, electrical wiring, roofs. etc.

Your letter tells the customer that you want to inspect only one or a few items. Don't make the letter confusing.

Your letter tells your customers, you gave them a guarantees, and you want to inspect the integrity of your work (list only one or two items), glued joints, copper joints, fire-box, foundation wall, roof, gutters, storm caps, structure integrity, mold, water drainage, wiring, drainage,. etc. The letter tells the customer that you will inspect the job, for free, and if there is a problem, you will repair the problem for free.

People love this idea. We send out 100 letters and the phones start ringing the next day. Guess what happens when people are so happy with us. While inspecting our jobs, these people need more work. Almost every customer needs something and we are closing very large sales on 50% of our inspections. This week, we sold three floor furnaces, drain jobs, a copper repipe, and a huge clean-up job in an attic, removing blown-in insulation, that was contaminated with animal waste.

The first thing we do, when we arrive at the customer's home, is hand them a handful of ink pens and a few business cards. We carry a camera and take pictures of everything. If we find nothing is wrong, smile, and thank the customer. When you find something wrong, give it your best to do what is right. This past Monday, we inspected 6 jobs in less than two hours.

I prefer not to mention the amount of money sold from inspections, but it is more than most will believe. You will find sample letters, in our Customer List database in the File Swamp section.

Checking your jobs should be something that you are willing to do just to provide good customer service and build your business. Posts tell me that it is obvious that few to no plumbers actually call their customers a year later and say, 'hello, this is Acme Plumbing. How is everything working? The reason I am calling is because I would like to let you know that we appreciate your good business and we would like to make sure that the work we did is still working fine, ........and on and on.

Thank you for being a great customer. We (company name) would like to thank you for your business.

Most likely, you are aware that the piping (furnace, or whatever) has an Original Owner Lifetime Guarantee and we would like to honor that guarantee. In order to honor your guarantee, (company name) we do periodic inspections to check the integrity of the of the piping installed and to make sure that our work does not cause any physical damage to the occupants or to your property.

Bestline will be performing you inspection between Monday July 21 and Friday July 25, between 9 am and 4 pm. We will be calling to schedule a firm appointment, or you may call us to schedule an appointment before or after the dates we have suggested.

This inspection is absolutely free and there rare no obligations of any type.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Jack
The Big Boss
Old 11-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,016

PC….correct me if I am wrong….I have been to your web site. It is one of the worst websites I have ever been too. That is if you are a plumbing contractor…..if you are a lead generator, then I get your game. You go to a show, offer candy to everyone, get as many names as you can and sell them, or use them through your network of contractors. I see how this works. Crazy like a fox….or would that be wolf…I think I will hide my picnic basket and put away the red hood, next time through the wood, or am I completely wrong?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #8
Pro

We've found only a few minor problems, with our previous work. I have always had strict guidelines, for the performance of our work, and I have always, personally, visited almost every job my company did. My employees are positive, they will get caught, if they do something wrong, on a job.

When sending Inspection Letters, and speaking with the customers, there has never been a trust issue. When customers call, for an appointment, they are happy and excited.

After sending 100 letters, we wait a week, for customers to call us. For the remaining customers, we call them, for an appointment. Most people (when we finally get hold of them), say they wanted the inspection, and just didn't make the call, for whatever reason.

For customers. we contact by phone, we set an appointment, immediately. About 2 out of 100 customers tell us to call back, and about 5 out of 100 refuse the inspection. For the customers, we don't contact, we move their record, to the next Inspection Batch, and send them another letter. We have about 5,000 jobs to inspect, so it will take us several years to get to the end of our list, if we do 100 inspections, about every 60 days.

Our new contract states, the customer must make our work accessible, for inspection, every 5 years, or their guarantee will be void. This clause servers several purposes, of course.

Before sending 100 letters, we use knowx.com, to make sure the customer still owns the home. About 50% of our customers are deceased, or sold their homes.

The nice thing about the software, is it prints the letters and labels. Then it prints a report, sorted by zip Code. When we are in a specific zip code area, and have nothing to do, we sit in our truck, and call customers, for inspections. Sometimes, we just drop by, without calling, when we are on the same block. The sales we get, are pretty amazing, and this campaign has really been fun.

I always welcome, a serious contractor, to come spend a few days with us. to see how some neat marketing, honesty, and soft-selling works.

Of course, my systems work because we use our television, 8 x 10 printed pictures, and a very methodical soft-sell approach.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmagman View Post
PC….correct me if I am wrong….I have been to your web site. It is one of the worst websites I have ever been too. That is if you are a plumbing contractor…..if you are a lead generator, then I get your game. You go to a show, offer candy to everyone, get as many names as you can and sell them, or use them through your network of contractors. I see how this works. Crazy like a fox….or would that be wolf…I think I will hide my picnic basket and put away the red hood, next time through the wood, or am I completely wrong?
Only recently, a few times, I went to sleep, and could not stop laughing. Your post is hilarious. You are not the first person to claim I have the worse web site. Although, I like it because I made it myself. You know? Baked my own apple pie, so it has to taste good.

One thing, I have to laugh about, is the way people come out of the woodwork, to discredit me. So many people, know more about myself, than I know.

When you find, I collect leads and sell them, please expose this operation, so I can collect the money, owed to me.

COMPLETELY WRONG!
Old 11-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcplumber View Post
You are not the first person to claim I have the worse web site.

COMPLETELY WRONG!
No way.....your site is the worst 300 pages of copy and past phone book entries of key word and addresses listing compeditors anme and brick brack asking for this and that for free mumbo jumbo. I smell something real funny.

completely?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
Fentoozler

Trade: Professional Pie and Pastry Taster

All the font changes in the OP made me dizzy and I fell out of my chair

The UD is quite possibly man kinds finest accomplishment.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Public Insurance Adjuster
Rewards Points: 500

PCP,

I am relatively new here and have read several posts in different threads from your company. I think what Wood is questioning is an honest inference or question. I have noticed that you posted a few weeks back about sending out flyers and even posted the links to your website for us to go and get the templates. Now you area posting another marketing strategy to help your fellow contractors get business in this economy. I never really thought about it 'til Wood brought it up, but you do promote alot of marketing stuff. Either the spade is the spade or you are the nicest, most helpful guy on the forum. No charges from me either way....just letting you know that a disinterested third party can see where Wood is coming from.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: seamless gutters

Who cares what the guy does. Wether he is a real plumber or not it dosent matter. He is never trying to sell you anything just give free info. It amazes me every time someone intelligent comes on here you run them off.

Pcp maybe you should post a picture of a truck they love that.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgutters View Post
Who cares what the guy does. Wether he is a real plumber or not it dosent matter. He is never trying to sell you anything just give free info. It amazes me every time someone intelligent comes on here you run them off.

Pcp maybe you should post a picture of a truck they love that.
MMMM I do. I am sure all of those reading have interest. There is this garden path theory that is not always so visible and if someone has never been on the trail before it can be a hazard. I think, not calling out from time to time when the path is blurred is worse than calling out and being wrong. The fact that most great thinkers experience bouts of manic would explain some of the flags, but I will continue to say what I see until it becomes clearer and I will say with certainty.
Trucks......I love trucks
Old 11-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #15
Handle It!

Trade: Everything The Union Guys Do Not Want To Do

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmagman View Post
I smell something real funny.
I have been saying this from day 1!

Ultimate Wisdom---------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW-cnizLDEE
Old 11-22-2008, 07:41 PM   #16

Trade: Countertop installer
Rewards Points: 75

I won't even try to determine the motivation of the initial poster, but I am curious...Has anyone actually tried this approach? If you have, what is your experience?

On the outset, it looks like the approach might have real merit. You get a free invite back into a previous customer's home that already knows your quality work and they tell you about more problems that need resolved. Then hire you to do it. Sounds good to me...

The potential downside is that (1) you may have to do warranty work from your own efforts or (2) the customer may confuse your work with someone else's work and THEIR warranty issues. On the first point, it is probably good that you resolve your own warranty issues because the customer may already be bad-mouthing you to others. Sure, it will cost you time and effort, but think of the raving fan you will have for a customer at the end of this. On the second point, this seems to be a communication issue that can be resolved during the visit with them.

I honestly have never heard of anyone in any business following up like this. You would definitely be all alone if the customers mind!!!

Am I seeing this correctly?

dale
Old 11-22-2008, 07:47 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor

I can see the potential for getting your foot back in the door,but I for one may see it as a warning sign that maybe some of your work has failed in the past and you're trying to CYA,seems iffy at best from the customer standpoint.A phone call to say "hi,how is everything going " may be just as effective and still portray you as a thoughtful conscientious contractor.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #18

Trade: Countertop installer
Rewards Points: 75

Joe,
You have a good point. This approach may be viewed as a CYA motivated tactic. Had not hought of that. Have you tried calling verses visiting? What are the results of either?

dale
Old 11-22-2008, 08:04 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Gas Contractor

I really don't bother people like that,it comes off as desperate to me and I am not hurting for work.If a problem should rear its ugly head it would be a mechanical failure of a part that you couldn't control anyways,and if that's the case ,people understand.You just have to honor your guarantees,they will remember that you did the honorable thing and will call you back in the future.I run a family type business and do not aspire to have more than 2 or 3 trucks on the road [quality control],I don't need to be Wal-mart and put the rest of the folks out of work or die with a catrillion dollars.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:18 PM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S. View Post
I won't even try to determine the motivation of the initial poster, but I am curious...Has anyone actually tried this approach? If you have, what is your experience?

On the outset, it looks like the approach might have real merit. You get a free invite back into a previous customer's home that already knows your quality work and they tell you about more problems that need resolved. Then hire you to do it. Sounds good to me...

The potential downside is that (1) you may have to do warranty work from your own efforts or (2) the customer may confuse your work with someone else's work and THEIR warranty issues. On the first point, it is probably good that you resolve your own warranty issues because the customer may already be bad-mouthing you to others. Sure, it will cost you time and effort, but think of the raving fan you will have for a customer at the end of this. On the second point, this seems to be a communication issue that can be resolved during the visit with them.

I honestly have never heard of anyone in any business following up like this. You would definitely be all alone if the customers mind!!!

Am I seeing this correctly?

dale
This Inspection Campaign is not an idea. This is something that we are actually doing, every day, and it works. I sold another furnace, today, from an inspection. This is real money. I can't tell you how much we sell, from inspections every week, because I don't want to post the amount on the forum, but it is more than most people will believe.

You can work yourself up with many reasons why something won't work. Try looking at ways to make it work for you, because it is works great, for us. This is one of the best advertising campaign we've done, and we won't stop until we run out of customers.

A telephone call is not the same. This could be compared to a telephone call, from an attorney, and a letter, from an attorney. When the attorney takes the time, to write the letter, and mail it to you, you pay special attention to the letter. You have more time, to ponder over the situation, and make a decision. Then, when the customer does not call, you make a phone call and they know what you are talking about.

Writing the letter serves several purposes. On the phone, you will not get the opportunity to state your case. People will not understand what you are talking about. I already make calls without sending letters. People responded with "they had no leaks. I had to explain that we were not checking for leaks. We were checking for integrity. How would the customer know if everything is okay. Customers tend to blow you off on the phone.

Don't worry about having problems with work you did in the past. We have a statute of limitations and the customer knows that not everything is guaranteed forever. For some reason, we never had a problem with previous jobs. Also, it is a great feeling to be able see your old work. Maybe, it will help you to feel better, or help to see where improvements are necessary.

If you have a customer list, try this campaign.

Advertisement