Smith Aka Gosmith.com Aka Friend Trusted

Old 04-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #1
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 782

Smith Aka Gosmith.com Aka Friend Trusted

I just got a random contact via email with a lead from this company. We all know Friend Trusted and it looks like they're the latest contractor lead gen company that is rebranding. Does anyone have experience with them?

I'm not looking to pick up a lead gen company but we'll all probably hear from them at some point so I'd like to get some opinion on here so it will be available for search.

The TOS is a monster and I haven't read it all but the basis of their pitch is that you can communicate with a lead and submit ballpark estimates or no estimate at all and then you pay $8 when you set up a meeting. No meeting = refund.

Here is the TOS if any of you feel like reading legalese for 20 minutes.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Licensed Gas contractor

Trade: Pools
Rewards Points: 974

Re: Smith Aka Gosmith.com Aka Friend Trusted

I mysteriously was getting texts from them telling me they had a lead for me. I had not signed up for anything from them. After a few of these messages I sent them a message to stop. I don't trust a company that out of the blue does this.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to gastek For This Useful Post:
stretchceilings (02-22-2016)
Old 04-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #3
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 782

Was that Friend Trusted or Smith? FT was sending me texts all the time as well and I did the same as you. I received an email from Smith.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #4
Licensed Gas contractor

Trade: Pools
Rewards Points: 974

Mine were from gosmith.com.
The Following User Says Thank You to gastek For This Useful Post:
EthanB (04-18-2015)
Old 04-18-2015, 03:17 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: I'll do that for a dollar.
Rewards Points: 5,652

Just started getting those. Usually just as I am crawling under a house or have my hands full of stuff.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #6
New Guy

Trade: Garage Door Repair and Installation
Rewards Points: 64

Got one of these too the other day.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
Windwash

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 148

I have about 15 of these text message leads from Smith. I can't figure out to get them to stop sending me messages without answering a bunch of questions to do it.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwash View Post
I have about 15 of these text message leads from Smith. I can't figure out to get them to stop sending me messages without answering a bunch of questions to do it.
Call their office and tell them you are on the do not call list and you will contact the attorney gen.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,154

Is it common to use your cell # as the biz. line?
Old 04-20-2015, 02:52 PM   #10
Windwash

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Is it common to use your cell # as the biz. line?
It is for myself and a lot of other small contractors.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #11

Trade: Appliance Repair
Rewards Points: 4

So, has anybody actually use them? It looks like they are a reverse auction service, meaning a customer posts a project and contractors like us bid. The lowest bid wins (that is why the "reversed"). It is interesting as an idea, but I suspect it is not so thrilling to spend a lot of time to come out with the lowest bid as the winner. What do you think?
Old 06-12-2015, 11:37 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 464

Get a regular feed from them. Very rarely find anything of value.

Responded to handful of decent looking ones. Overall Nada, tho early this week found a unique one>Gave Estimated price based on info>appointment made>Met with client>Bid actual project>will know first part of next week. Last Email and general vibe felt positive.

Unique being it was commercial laminate work for retial displays rather than mainstream homeowner residential. Diamond in a goats arse for me

Cost $20 or $40 to buy appointment tokens last year. LOL Until now haven't touched them. Cheap way to try out a service imho.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #13

Trade: Appliance Repair
Rewards Points: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Wax View Post
Get a regular feed from them. Very rarely find anything of value.

Responded to handful of decent looking ones. Overall Nada, tho early this week found a unique one>Gave Estimated price based on info>appointment made>Met with client>Bid actual project>will know first part of next week. Last Email and general vibe felt positive.

Unique being it was commercial laminate work for retial displays rather than mainstream homeowner residential. Diamond in a goats arse for me

Cost $20 or $40 to buy appointment tokens last year. LOL Until now haven't touched them. Cheap way to try out a service imho.
The fact that you haven't touched the tokens speaks volumes about their effectiveness. I am sure if they were of any value, you would have reinvested back into them. But we have to try new things, you never know when you hit the jackpot. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:28 AM   #14

Trade: Tree service
Rewards Points: 6

we started getting them too. We are a tree service and we are getting leads for jobs we do not do we are a tree company we do not do patios, paving, fences etc. It appears this is a group out of California that created a phone app so people can get a broad range of responses. As a contractor they charge YOU for the lead and the customer pays them (they have an option to pay you directly), I do not trust them because they cam out of nowhere and go by different names.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 AM   #15

Trade: Tree service
Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlAppliances View Post
So, has anybody actually use them? It looks like they are a reverse auction service, meaning a customer posts a project and contractors like us bid. The lowest bid wins (that is why the "reversed"). It is interesting as an idea, but I suspect it is not so thrilling to spend a lot of time to come out with the lowest bid as the winner. What do you think?
they also charge the contractor to make the appointment, they also do not understand any of the business they allege to "connect" to reliable contractors. in some businesses you cannot give "ballpark" estimates. In a few of the cases we have the homeowner is trying to get around municipal ordinances to get work done, we had one job we had bib on but because of legal issues with ownership we declined the job, this site was all to eager to send it out for anyone to bid on.

Last edited by outdoorservices; 06-22-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:33 PM   #16

Trade: Framing
Rewards Points: 2

I've been established for a while, but couldn't find anything about these guys anywhere else. (I'll admit I've been a lurker here for a while.) I started getting "leads" from them as well- which is weird. I looked on Google, and, well, it doesn't look too good: http://www.jasondefuria.com/2015/06/...l-rip-you-off/
Old 07-14-2015, 09:54 PM   #17
Accidental Painter

Trade: Who's paying?
Rewards Points: 1,218

Why, oh why would anyone ever pay to play especially from a cold call?

Think about it, it's scam artistry 101. Call up a bunch of people, pretend to be legit, and you bleed them dry on empty promises. Lead generation is no different no matter the company.

If you solicited THEM to find you work, by all means go for it. If they solicit you to find you work...RED EFFING FLAG!!!!

Do you randomly call up every phone number you can think of and ask them if they want new [windows/roofing/painting/siding/sun rooms/etc...] ? This is EXACTLY what they are doing to you.

I pay to play ALOT in the apartment industry, but not until I am at least 80% certain I have the work. Anyone calling me up asking for money gets hung up on immediately.

My business doesn't run on "promises" and my bill collectors don't accept "promises" for payment. The faster you learn to turn down empty promises the faster you can get back to productive things.

Nowdays, I just ask them questions back:

1: How did you find my company? The answer is usually google... So i follow up and ask them what my website is? What does my company do?

Wait...you can't tell me this basic stuff? Well heck, how do even know you have the right phone number?

Seriously, each time a lead generation company cold calls you, quiz them to see if they even did the basic research about you first. They can't tell you, because they don't bother to want to know. All they want is your money and to string you along.

Guess how many roofing/siding/flooring/janitorial jobs I turn down? I am an effing painter people!!!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #18

Trade: Tree Work

I own a Tree Company with my husband, R. West Tree, we are getting the text messages as well. Scam, Scam, Scam !!! I knew that as soon as they asked for money. I found this site because I was doing research on them.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:40 AM   #19

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 14

gosmith.com is the new name of Friend Trusted, i recently got an email from gosmith.com and have been responding to quote requests. They charge for on site meetings/ quotes with the homeowner or small commercial project, from $8 to $32 depending on size of the project.
It's a cell phone app that people can use to get quick ballpark estimates for service/remodeling projects. Does it work for the contractor? I dunno but hey, it's worth a try in my view. You pay only when there is a live meeting between contractor/homeowner, hopefully to close the sale.
I use Google adwords for a couple ads as well and one thing i like about the gosmith concept is, it's marketed towards cell phones which, according to my adwords account, represents 70% of my clicks with only 30% coming from computers.
Old 12-31-2015, 04:42 AM   #20

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 14

Sorry about double post, it said "error" so i clicked post twice and, i double posted.

Advertisement

Last edited by jacon4; 12-31-2015 at 04:46 AM. Reason: double post