Question About Insurance Adjusters And Roofing Claims

Old 05-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

Question About Insurance Adjusters And Roofing Claims

There is a roofing co. in my area that has a staff of door to door sales reps. They tell the homeowners that they might qualify for a Claim for their roof replacement.

The Co. will contact an Insurance guy to meet them at the property to measure the roof and cut a check that same visit.

Now this Co. is doing the roofs for the exact cost of the insurance claim?

That is their sales and marketing scheme.

Is this right? Is that considered insider trading?

I am not the type of person to bring this about to anyone attention. But, what ever happened to fair market?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,010

Re: Question About Insurance Adjusters And Roofing Claims

Thats the only way that Storm Chasers know how to sell.

Ed

Old 05-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Certified Crazy!

Trade: Insurance Restoration Roofing
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Thats the only way that Storm Chasers know how to sell.

Ed

Hey hey Ed! That is not true!!!! I sell on other things besides working with peoples insurance company!!!

Moosey,

This is not insider trading in any sense. What you need to consider is that insurance claims are hassles for many home owners. MOST home owners when presented with the chance to have a company handle everything with their insurance company will choose that route.

It is a huge inconvenience for home owners to deal with storm related damage that involves an insurance claim. They have to take time out of their lives that was not originally set aside, to deal with contractors, insurance company, and the mortgage company.

Not to mention there are a myriad number of ways a home owner can get underpaid by "THOUSANDS" of dollars.

Having a contractor who knows how to handle an insurance claim can be an invaluable asset to a home owner.

However......

Quality workmanship, integrity, and warranty coverage is a completely different area that must be considered as well.

Granted the storm repair industry has it's share of unscrupulous contractors but there "ARE" reputable ones as well.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,010

Sorry RidgeWalker,

I should not have used such a blanket like statement.

"MOST" Storm Chasers only know how to sell on what the insurance proceeds are and find a cheap enough crew to do it for those prices.

"SOME" contractors know how to add on to the insurance company "Estimate" from Xactimate and derive a full and comprehensive roofing job for their customers.

There.....Better now?

Ed
Old 05-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Certified Crazy!

Trade: Insurance Restoration Roofing
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Sorry RidgeWalker,

I should not have used such a blanket like statement.

"MOST" Storm Chasers only know how to sell on what the insurance proceeds are and find a cheap enough crew to do it for those prices.

"SOME" contractors know how to add on to the insurance company "Estimate" from Xactimate and derive a full and comprehensive roofing job for their customers.

There.....Better now?

Ed
I feel so much better now! :P
Old 05-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #6

Trade: Carpentry

Guys, thanks so much for the insite. I have never approached a lead and push insurance claim on them. We have worked with insurance companies before, but those leads were given to us by the Insurance company and we had to bid on the job.

How would I tell them that option? Upon measuring the roof and bring it to their attention if they are applicable? Or first thing, when I present myself to them?

I feel you guys really know your stuff and would appreciate any info.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Public Insurance Adjuster
Rewards Points: 500

Moosey:

Depending on your area, if your not versed in the insurance claim process for property damage it can be a huge detriment to your company. Disregarding the stormers as we all know how they work and have our opinions of their practices, let's talk about the local company who lives in an area that receives a considerable amount of storm related damage. As Ridge said, an insurance claim is a hassle for most homeowners. If you are educated and experienced in the practice, you can offer a service that is invaluable to your client in working with them through the claim by identifying ALL of the related damage, documenting, working up your line item estimate, contacting the assigned adjuster to expidite the appointment and the processs, and dealing with the necessary paperwork, recoverables, etc. Many contractors don't like the hassle and feel like it's doing a bunch of work for free. What I can tell you is this. Your referral is ten times better once you've successfully handled a claim from front to back as they can tell their friends that you not only put on a top quality roof, you were kind enough and knowlegable enough to handle everything and they didn't even have to worry about it. People are busy enough with life and work. They don't need to tack a castastrophe on to their schedules.

Since the outset of the multiple landfall hurricanes in 04, the insurance adjusting field was swarmed with tens of thousands of new adjusters. Although I will freely admit that adjusters are like roofing companies....there are good ones and there are....'inexperienced' ones, the fact remains that alot of claims get handled wrong, items are missed, people aren't aware they are entitled to their recoverables, etc. We owe it to our clients to be educated in the process to look out for their best inetersts.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 150

I just met an adjuster last Saturday. He approved total roof replacement. I talked to him today and our estimates were only $100.00 different!! Really pays to know what you are doing when it comes to insurance work. I will probably do only insurance work this year! Gotta love it. Insurance always pays by check and it never bounces!!
Old 05-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #9

Trade: builder

Where can I get info on dealing with insurance adjusters. I have never worked with insurance companies before. It makes sense that they have business to give. all help is appreciated
Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Public Insurance Adjuster
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by safewilly73 View Post
Where can I get info on dealing with insurance adjusters. I have never worked with insurance companies before. It makes sense that they have business to give. all help is appreciated
Google 'how to learn how to meet an adjuster and handle an insurance claim' and you will come up with zero. It's almost like wanting to learn how to be a Master Painter. You have to start at the bottom and work your way up. You will either have the nack for it or not. Some love it, some hate it. You end up doing everything you would on a typical estiamte, plus about three times more.....for no more pay. Tread carefully, because it is a very small world, insurance claims. If you earn a reputation, you want it to be that of a fair, straight shooter who calls it like you see it. Learn how to pick your battles.

Good luck.