PPC Or SEO

Old 06-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #1

Trade: residential garage door repair / install
Rewards Points: 16

PPC Or SEO

Hello everybody I'm new to this form but I have been secretly stocking this form for a while now. My husband and I own an established garage door repair and install company in orange county California, we have a good reputation to back us up, but we just can't seem to grow to the point they were actually making a going profit. We tried Yelp and as we all know that sucks and is just a waste of money. we've just recently tried Val Pak and we're not getting a return on our investment, so we'll be done with them before the next run. I currently run our PPC campaign but I still feel that although we get new jobs and it does bring money in we're still spending a whole lot more than we should on it. We've used a couple different SEL companies in the past but didn't get much traction or return by using those companies and quite honestly we've got a more of a return with me handling it myself. I feel like the times that we've used an SEO compsny, the people handling our PPC campaign didn't understand that we fall into an emergency service type of industry. But we're at the point now that we feel like we have no option of growing without someone either redoing our PPC campaign so that we can get a better return of investment and not go completely broke every day of every week with our ads running or someone who knows what they're doing to handle an SEO campaign for us. HELP Point us in the right direction please or refer us to the right people.
The Following User Says Thank You to sunwestoc For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (06-17-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2017, 11:52 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting, flooring
Rewards Points: 958

Re: PPC Or SEO

No one will do your marketing better than you.

You know who you want to do business with, seo guys do not.

So think of it like fishing. Where do you find YOUR fish.

I personally target certain times, zip codes, radiuses, and generally whatever I can tweek to home in on the most profitable work.

It took my ppc campaign 4 or 5 years to really take off. Spent many many thousands learning what worked and what didnt.

One last thing is that the marketing led me to what I am currently selling. I didnt decide to sell a product and then market it. I marketed for several different products and then dialed in and focused on what was successful.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparehair For This Useful Post:
belangerheating (06-16-2017), sunwestoc (06-17-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Co-Founder - Lead Ladder

Trade: Roofer Internet Marketing
Rewards Points: 76

Find a professional that knows your industry well and can come in with some familiarity of the types of keywords that will work, campaign structure, etc.

If you're willing to spend the thousands of hours and dollars figuring it out, more power to you. I just tend to find its worth the management fee to hire someone. You get your time back and if you find the right guy, you get a better return on investment even after paying them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lane13 For This Useful Post:
sunwestoc (06-17-2017)

Old 06-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #4

@Lane13, that's the problem exactly = the extra time I spend doing it & the money down the drain because I don't think I've completely configured it to our best interest. While I think our keywords (positive & negative ) are good, I just feel like our account can be configured better to save us some money as well as get a higher return. Is there somebody you can recommend?
Old 06-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparehair View Post
One last thing is that the marketing led me to what I am currently selling. I didnt decide to sell a product and then market it.
This is a smart thought, and it is true. Marketing is in front of selling but so many treat them as the same topic.

But the title of your thread says PPC or SEO, and I think it would be better to phrase it along the lines of PPC and SEO. Both have their own place within marketing planning.

But back to your original statement, it was good.
sparehair (06-17-2017), sunwestoc (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 11:40 AM   #6

So how do you think SEO would better our business marketing @MOTB and get us a better return of our investment or put us above any of our competitors out there?
Old 06-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwestoc View Post
So how do you think SEO would better our business marketing @MOTB and get us a better return of our investment or put us above any of our competitors out there?
Well keep in mind I did not say one was better than the other, I was just trying to say that each has its place in marketing.

And to clarify, I do not believe the term SEO is the all encompassing answer. I prefer to say "ongoing marketing along with SEO strategies and tactics on a continuous basis" will allow you to stay above your competitors. Or at least compete strongly since I do not know who your competitors are.

I had a few minutes down time before going into Father's Day Weekend mode, but here is one specific example after looking at your website.

I see you have 3 separate pages for New Garage Doors, Spring Replacements, and Opener Installation & Repairs. All 3 pages have the same title of "Orange County Garage Door Installation Services". Without me getting into analytical wars, I can easily suggest having three different Title Tags along the lines of
"Orange County New Garage Door Installation",
"Orange County Garage Door Spring Replacement",
"Orange County Garage Door Opener Installation Repair"

There is a lot more I can say about each of those pages, but you already have a start by having individual pages with their own individual topics. So the best ROI would be to position for having these pages be found by someone who is interested in a Contractor who works on the subject matter.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Side Note: I suggest you place a superscript TM (for Trademark) in the appropriate place on your logo, and also indicate the Sunwest Garage Door Logo is a Trademark of Sunwest Garage Door Service, LLC on the bottom footer of your home page. You have a nice site, and Yes, there is room for marketing improvement. However, I glanced and saw some Lead Gen folk are using your logo and company intel to redirect traffic. That is another issue all together and it all goes hand in hand. Most of your website should be designed towards the positive aspects of marketing. Unfortunately some of it has to be dealt with from a negative protectionist perspective. Nice logo though, so now protect how it is used by others.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:41 PM   #9

What does that mean, how would somebody re-direct traffic? If I put all that stuff you mentioned, does that mean that those Co's couldn't do that?
Old 06-17-2017, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
What does that mean, how would somebody re-direct traffic? If I put all that stuff you mentioned, does that mean that those Co's couldn't do that?
I prefer to answer in a forum thread that is more directed to this topic.
Go to the marketing section and you will see a post about a company and how they use your business name and redirect your calls.

My reasoning is I prefer to stay on point with the original question pertaining to SEO and PPC.

And remember to ensure all your webpages have unique title tags.

Brian
Old 06-19-2017, 08:06 AM   #11
Co-Founder - Lead Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
And to clarify, I do not believe the term SEO is the all encompassing answer. I prefer to say "ongoing marketing along with SEO strategies and tactics on a continuous basis" will allow you to stay above your competitors. Or at least compete strongly since I do not know who your competitors are.
This is an important point: Ideally your goal is own as much real estate on the page as possible with PPC, strong organic rankings and prominent map listings. And there's never a point where you're "done". If you stop paying for/optimizing PPC, you'll lose profitability or disappear completely. Stop performing SEO work and your rankings will fall or you'll disappear off the first page completely. You have to keep at it and adapting to the ever changing world of search engine advertising.

That may be frustrating to hear, but its no different than anything else in business or in life even: if you're not getting better, you're getting worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lane13 For This Useful Post:
sunwestoc (06-22-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 183

SEO is a must no matter what.

Most SEO is not as complicated as you might think. Making sure your name address and phone number is consistent across all the web is easy but important.
214-321-9341
Old 06-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #13

thanks everybody for all of your input
Old 06-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #14
Co-Founder - Lead Ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Roofing View Post
SEO is a must no matter what.

Most SEO is not as complicated as you might think. Making sure your name address and phone number is consistent across all the web is easy but important.
That really is some of the most simple SEO work and ANYONE can do it. The industry term is NAP: Name, Address, Phone Number.

Get your big listings claimed and completely filled out, like Google My Business, Yelp, Houzz, Bing Places, Facebook, etc. and you'll be in great shape to start.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #15
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 384

SEO is something that you can learn yourself. Maybe it's better to start with a professional and pick up things along the way. We rely on the local marketing agency that does great work for us but we also try to learn some things and we are starting to do them ourselves. I learned a lot about SEO writing and backlinking here http://backlinko.com/
Old 06-30-2017, 04:12 AM   #16

Trade: Website Design & Marketing
Rewards Points: 68

It seems as though this conversation is done, but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

1. I never recommend companies do their SEO or PPC themselves. You wouldn't find me researching Google on how to install a swimming pool, and then spending the next 6 months wasting money and time by doing it wrong. Someone who knows a little bit more than you is an expert, so rather let them do what they know. (P.S. We don't do work for the international market, so I'm not trying to say "Use us don't do it yourself". That's just my opinion".

2. SEO and PPC should ideally be done together. Remember PPC is a drug. Once you're on it, and it works, you're hooked and can never leave. SEO is a long term game, so while PPC gives you instant success, you can eventually stop it and keep your Google ranking because your SEO has been done efficiently. The sad thing is that SEO will eventually die as Google sells most of it's soul. AdWords now takes up the top 3 spots, with maps then taking another 3. This means, industry dependent, you're fighting for 4 or 5 spots on SEO.

3. What I will say is that before sending any traffic to your website, make sure it's optimized for conversions. There's not point in sending water to a leaking bucket. It doesn't matter if you spend 100k on PPC and SEO. If your website isn't as good as it can be and it doesn't have marketing strategy, your conversions will be low and you'll lose money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DanielLocalBiz For This Useful Post:
cbscreative (07-06-2017), Lane13 (07-06-2017), sunwestoc (06-30-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Specialty Structure Aluminum
Rewards Points: 419

I seen your other post, and had some time this morning, so get ready... I cover lots in nearly 25 min of video. Lots of SEO tips, advice, and my thoughts on hiring someone for seo / ppc and what you need to be doing.

FYI: if you watch the video full screen in youtube, on the bottom right you can set the resolution to '720' and it is much more clear.

At some point notes, and a transcript will be available here: http://www.coreyphilip.com/vlog-seo-...rvice-company/

Last edited by prowork; 07-02-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,404

Im not a literally scholar, but if someone is trying to give me advice and starts a sentance our with "i seen your post"

just no...
Old 07-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #19
Tile Contractor

Trade: tile and remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Im not a literally scholar, but if someone is trying to give me advice and starts a sentance our with "i seen your post"

just no...
While I do agree with your comment about the previous post beginning with "I seen your post", I feel compelled to point out that your comment also contained a couple of glaring errors, i.e., "a literally scholar" (I believe you meant "literary", and then the word "sentence" was spelled incorrectly (sentence NOT sentance) followed by the word "our" (?).

In addition to owning a tile contracting company, I am a medical transcriptionist, so I'm a stickler for proper English grammar and spelling. With spell checkers and grammar checkers being part of almost every aspect of online text writing nowadays, we should all make use of them in order to put our best foot forward, since the written word is often our customer's first impression of us.

Happy Independence Day to all!
Old 07-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,404

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolpetroccia View Post
While I do agree with your comment about the previous post beginning with "I seen your post", I feel compelled to point out that your comment also contained a couple of glaring errors, i.e., "a literally scholar" (I believe you meant "literary", and then the word "sentence" was spelled incorrectly (sentence NOT sentance) followed by the word "our" (?).

In addition to owning a tile contracting company, I am a medical transcriptionist, so I'm a stickler for proper English grammar and spelling. With spell checkers and grammar checkers being part of almost every aspect of online text writing nowadays, we should all make use of them in order to put our best foot forward, since the written word is often our customer's first impression of us.

Happy Independence Day to all!
Thats funny, I shouldnt throw stones

Advertisement