Positive Canvassing Talk Only

Old 08-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Lead Generation for Home Remodeling Companies
Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via Yahoo to wpc07834

Positive Canvassing Talk Only

Thinking about canvassing? Not sure where to begin? I do not have any money to spend on advertising. Will this work for me?
Answer yes.

Recruiting... Internet, friends, referrals,

Pay structure... Pay on presentations. It's just a matter of how many present to your close ratio. If you can not close 2 out of 10. You are in the wrong field.

Small canvassing operations should have a minimum of 4 guys knocking doors.

Larger organizations should have 2 canvassers for each sales rep.
The Following User Says Thank You to wpc07834 For This Useful Post:
pcplumber (08-13-2009)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 08-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: Positive Canvassing Talk Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpc07834 View Post
Thinking about canvassing? Not sure where to begin? I do not have any money to spend on advertising. Will this work for me?
Answer yes.

Pay structure... Pay on presentations. It's just a matter of how many present to your close ratio. If you can not close 2 out of 10. You are in the wrong field.

I like to pay a percentage of the sale rather than for each appointment. I would think when you pay for the appointment the canvasser will not blow off the duds. When you pay a percent the knocker will look for better leads so he doesn't waste his own time.

I am still fairly positive canvassers have to be paid no less than minimum wage.

We are still looking for the best words to open a conversation with. My plumber who started canvassing is kicking my profesional canvasser's butt. My plumber works only about 2 - 4 hours a day and he has sold 1 and 2 jobs very large jobes every day since he started a few weeks ago.

This is what he told me he says at the door and I would not agree with his statement, but it works.

"Hello, I'm from XYZ Plumbing and I stopped by to introduce my company. Have you heard about XYZ before?"

Then, almost every customer either says yes or no, a conversation has been initiated, and the canvasser continues with telling about the services we provide.

I give the canvassers coffee cups, pens, brochures, and calendars to hand out and I don't know if he gives them to the customers. If I were canvassing I would hand the customer the items first.

Whatever my canvassers are doing works and I will never stop canvassing. Canvassing has been the easiest, fastest, and least expensive way to get leads. Why didn't I do this 36 years ago?

I agree and would like to get 4 canvassers going but I keep terminating the new canvassers and I have only two. I am thinking about advertising for plumbers that want to canvass, but I am afraid to let plumbers know about our canvassing because an ex-employee heard about what we are doing, started canvassing, and we bumped heads two times on the same block within the last two weeks. I've cut myself out of jobs in the last few years a few times for talking too much.

"Loose lips sink big ships"

Advertisement

http://bestlineplumbing.com/accounting.htm
Old 08-14-2009, 01:40 AM   #3
Pro

Maybe we should shut this post down before everyone figures out how good canvassing is for leads. We are in a business that requires us to produce a certain amount of leads each month. We will never grow if we settle on just enough.
Canvassing is buy far the best lead out there for the home remodeling industry, next to the previous customer who calls you back for more work.

Most people who start a canvassing team find the can really do well, then they drop because they can not afford to stay on top of it. Or just loose energy.

I think recruiting is the lifeblood of this industry. We should always be looking for talent that can help grow our company.
The Following User Says Thank You to wpc07834 For This Useful Post:
pcplumber (08-14-2009)

Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #4
We Paint Stuff

Trade: Paint Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Hi guys that do canvassing consistently. We are a painting company and although we do not canvass at the moment, I did a lot of canvassing for another company for years and know how amazingly it works

We averaged at least an inquiry per hour, but usually more like 2-5.

They were a $25M a year company that did all of their work in the summer... But therein lies my question - canvassing worked really well for us in the spring and summer - but what about the fall and winter???

Right now we have alot of leads for the just two of us that sell, but we are entering our slower season and I am worried that our referrals, etc will not continue at the rate that they are now.

Do either of you have experience with canvassing in the winter?

How well do you think a canvassing department would do for painting in the winter?

what products WOULD sell the best in the winter?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Sales, Consulting
Rewards Points: 278

My partner and I started a window and siding company with $5000. In the first year we grossed $4M and started strictly w/canvassers. I still use them today.

I pay them $9/hr. I also bonus them for appts AND sales.

I pay for appts because I want them to set a good solid appointment so the sales guys don't have No Shows and 1 Legs. I want strong commitments from the HO's. I do it on a tier system. 0-5 appts/week equals $. 5-10 appts/week equals $$....so on. This encourages them to provide volume AND quality

That is considered their regular pay.

Then they got bonused on the sale 1% of the gross sale. If I'm making money then so should they. I have a canvasser that I BONUSED $1400 this week but that was with $114K in gross sales based on his leads.

I don't have sales guys or myself canvass because we usually try to sell at the door. I tell my sales guys when they complain about the appt (tire kickers, broke, etc) that the canvassers have no other duty than to make sure that all HO's are present, they own the house, and they're employed. After that, if they can sell, it shouldn't matter.

We usually lose about 20% to NO Shows, 1 legs, cancellations, resets, etc.

Canvassing is a great way to go. Turnover is the hard part. Screen hard, train well, reward your performers, dump the slackers, and Keep your applicant pool high!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BDiamond For This Useful Post:
Framer53 (12-22-2009), jtomin (12-13-2009), nlgutters (11-20-2009)
Old 11-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
Pro

Cold weather.... Hard to get people motivated for canvassing. I just tell them that we are all lucky just to have a job today.

I have tried many different pay plans. Here is what I am using now. $50. per day base they work 8:30 till 5pm (they only knock doors 4-6 hours)
they receive a bonus only after the 5th appointment is run. I do not pay a sale bonus. Their only job is to find the leads. We call them back and weed out the bad ones
Old 11-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: seamless gutters
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiamond View Post
My partner and I started a window and siding company with $5000. In the first year we grossed $4M and started strictly w/canvassers. I still use them today.

I pay them $9/hr. I also bonus them for appts AND sales.

I pay for appts because I want them to set a good solid appointment so the sales guys don't have No Shows and 1 Legs. I want strong commitments from the HO's. I do it on a tier system. 0-5 appts/week equals $. 5-10 appts/week equals $$....so on. This encourages them to provide volume AND quality

That is considered their regular pay.

Then they got bonused on the sale 1% of the gross sale. If I'm making money then so should they. I have a canvasser that I BONUSED $1400 this week but that was with $114K in gross sales based on his leads.

I don't have sales guys or myself canvass because we usually try to sell at the door. I tell my sales guys when they complain about the appt (tire kickers, broke, etc) that the canvassers have no other duty than to make sure that all HO's are present, they own the house, and they're employed. After that, if they can sell, it shouldn't matter.

We usually lose about 20% to NO Shows, 1 legs, cancellations, resets, etc.

Canvassing is a great way to go. Turnover is the hard part. Screen hard, train well, reward your performers, dump the slackers, and Keep your applicant pool high!

Thanks!!

What percentage of your sales is from canvassing?

Also what is your fully loaded lead cost from canvassing?

Nice website by the wayy.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Pro

You must be joking about my web site. I do not use it for anything other than the domain name.

Canvassing can run anywhere from 12% to 18% depending on how good your sales force is and if you have a manager. You can have a much lower cost if you run the program.

I believe that canvassing works best when you have a good structure in place.

Canvas Manager, Team Leader, Canvasser...

I have seen canvassing dominate up to 95% of all leads issued and as low as 30%

When starting a program you need to have money to invest, it takes time getting the crew together and trained.

Sales Reps can close anywhere from 20% to 60% depending upon the training the sales rep has.

Price can have a huge impact on closing ratio too.

Right now this economy sucks, people just do not want to spend money and they are not picking up the phone and calling to get estimates. You have to work harder to produce leads and know the value of the lead that you get.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
We Paint Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiamond View Post

BDiamond - thanks for all the info. What do you do to keep your applicant pool high? Craigslist? Fliers at Universities? Do canvassers go to places like monster? Obviously word of mouth from your canvassers but you need canvassers to start that.....
Old 11-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
Pro

Take advantage of Craigslist. Their ads are usually free. I would keep an ad up each week. I have not worked to much with passing out fliers at campus, but have used their website when I could.

If you are starting a canvassing crew, you may want to ry running a blind ad. It makes the phone ring alot. Bring them in for a interview. Do not conduct a interview over the phone.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #11
Pro

In this economy you can get a steady canvasser for $60.00 per day working full time. $300 wk. If you have a closer, sale 15k mo from each canvasser and you would have a marketing cost of less than 10%.

I would recommend that you run at least 4 canvassers to make it work.

Recruiting training, and motivating is the challenge.

Each canvasser produces between 3-5 good appointments each week.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

This is our latest and most effective door-to-door ad we have been using. At first, we were offering free services to get inside the house and it took several months to realize it is too difficult to explain why we are offering free services. It is easier to get customers to accept our offer when we charge a little something. These ads get each canvasser 3 to 5 leads every day.

I had up to 3 canvassers working at one time and am down to only one. I am fairly difficult to work for since I have zero tolerance for personality quirks and a bad attitude.

http://bestlineplumbing.com/accounting.htm

Last edited by pcplumber; 12-09-2014 at 04:45 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pcplumber For This Useful Post:
Framer53 (12-22-2009), nlgutters (12-03-2009)
Old 12-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: seamless gutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcplumber View Post
This is our latest and most effective door-to-door ad we have been using. At first, we were offering free services to get inside the house and it took several months to realize it is too difficult to explain why we are offering free services. It is easier to get customers to accept our offer when we charge a little something. These ads get each canvasser 3 to 5 leads every day.

I had up to 3 canvassers working at one time and am down to only one. I am fairly difficult to work for since I have zero tolerance for personality quirks and a bad attitude.

A little busy for me. But if it works!!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:08 PM   #14
windows & siding

Trade: windows and exterior remodeling
Rewards Points: 610

Quote:
Answer yes.

Ok, no money to spend on advertising, will it work? Yes! ...but then a few lines down you say " When starting a program you need to have money to invest, it takes time getting the crew together and trained."
What gives? I think your first statement was a bit misleading.... BTW, I do have a positive opinion of canvassing in general, although I have yet to get it to work well. Primarily due to that fact that I haven't invested the time and money to get an effective program running.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #15
We Paint Stuff

Quote:
In this economy you can get a steady canvasser for $60.00 per day working full time. $300 wk. If you have a closer, sale 15k mo from each canvasser and you would have a marketing cost of less than 10%.

I would recommend that you run at least 4 canvassers to make it work.

Recruiting training, and motivating is the challenge.

Each canvasser produces between 3-5 good appointments each week.
to wpc07834:

We are restarting our canvassing program -

and we have(in the past) been able to secure about 1 lead per hour.

Your quote above talks about 3-5 good appointments each week per canvasser - So does that mean that a canvasser averages 1 appointment for about 6-10 hours of canvassing?

(full time canvasser @ 6hrs/day * 5 days = 30 hours of good canvassing / 3/5 appts)

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: Sales, Consulting
Rewards Points: 278

I think the difference is the industry. Can a roofing canvasser get more contacts per hour than a painting canvasser? Probably so.

Everyone needs to be concerned about their roof where as not everyone needs some painting done.

Have you tried taking a survey approach? Having the canvasser approach with a clipboard with a survey on it.

"Hi sir, I'm Steve with XYZ company here in town. We handle residential painting. I'm not selling anything but I was interested in finding out a little bit more about your neighborhood. One question I had is what do you feel people in your neighborhood would have the greatest need for? Interior painting needs or mostly exterior?" Mark the answer...

This needs to be said all in one lump sum so that HO doesn't have much chance to offer up a "No thanks". Out of courtesy most will answer at least one question.

"For instance in regards to painting services what would be your biggest priority off the top of your head?"

This isn't committing the HO to an appt. It should come acrros in the context that you're asking in general since the HO is part of the neighborhood. But it does weed out if the guy has a need. Even if he feels he doesn't right now he'[ll offer up something to be able to answer the question.

"Um, not much really. But I guess the bedroom." Mark off the answer...

"Okay. Have you ever hired a company to handle painting for you before?" Mark the answer.

"Thanks for your help....I'm sorry. What was your name again? Joe Roberts? Great Joe. I actually have a rep coming out to show a neighbor some paint samples. Could I let him know about the bedroom and have him give you a call or swing by? It couldn't hurt right? What is the best number for you? Again Joe....thanks for your help. I'll leave you with some info and we'll get in touch."

This way you've gained market research, you've gained brand recognition in the neighborhood, you have customer contact info for your database, and possibly a interior paint job. All in less than 60 seconds per contact!
Old 12-13-2009, 11:14 PM   #17
Pro

I am not trying to mislead you in any way. 2-3 years ago I would say a canvasser could produce 1 appointment per hour. Today I am finding the average canvasser can produce 3-5 solid appointments each week. I run a small crew right now working Mon-thru Sat 8:30 till 5pm.

This past week we have been dealing with pretty harsh weather.

When you first get a program up and running, it takes a little time getting your crew hired and trained. You will also need to work with whoever you have confirming appointments. A canvass lead needs to be handled different than a inbound appointment.

Depending on how well your sales staff is trained, it could be a minute before you bring in revenue. If your sales approach is quote and hope, you could be in trouble. All sales people need to be trained to close.

A canvasser should always write more appointments than what actually goes out the door. When I say 3-5 appointments, i really mean strong appointments. The average canvasser writes 1 appointment every 4 hours worked. Good appointment. A raw appointment can be 1 appointment every 2 hours. This will depend on many factors. The quality of the canvasser, neighborhood,appearance, scripting,motivation.

The real key is the canvass manager. Does he have the ability to recruit, train, and motivate.

Canvassing works if you work the program. I really believe attitude is the most important aspect of canvassing.

I also like the survey method for canvassing. It can be a real good tool for bringing a new person in and teaching him how to canvas. It also get's the prospect talking with them as well. Which is a key ingredient to getting a appointment.

Canvassing might not work for every business, but it is a great lead source for the Home Improvement business.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #18
Windows Plus

Trade: Replacement of windows,siding and doors

canvassing is a viable lead service to generate revenues. Like any marketing program it has to be operated with management and budgeting. There is extensive training involved but it can work effectively if you have the right system which there are many out there. We have a few crews out right now and I am sure we will get some appointment son the schedule, but again it has to be managed like anything
Old 12-14-2009, 10:22 PM   #19
We Paint Stuff

Four of us went this evening for 30 minutes and we wrote one good appointment.

We are going to generate our own leads and then sell the other leads that we generate that do not fit what we do.

We already have contractors ready to buy the leads - what do you guys think we need to do(ie what expectations to set, etc) with the homeowner at the door so that we are passing a good lead to the other contractors?

Ethan
Old 12-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: renovations of all kinds

Quote:
Cold weather.... Hard to get people motivated for canvassing. I just tell them that we are all lucky just to have a job today.

I have tried many different pay plans. Here is what I am using now. $50. per day base they work 8:30 till 5pm (they only knock doors 4-6 hours)
they receive a bonus only after the 5th appointment is run. I do not pay a sale bonus. Their only job is to find the leads. We call them back and weed out the bad ones

$50.00 per day? From 8:30am-5pm?

Do these people have teeth?

Advertisement