Opinions Of ''free'' Work To Enter New Markets

Old 05-15-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 10

Opinions Of ''free'' Work To Enter New Markets

What does everyone think about offering "free specials" when entering into a new market area?

I'm considering doing free sump pump inspections, free toilet leak inspections, or something along these lines to try and get more business in a different market area.
I've heard and understand the "if you don't put a value on it, they won't either" argument but if I'm only offering a free inspection of something, there isn't much value to assign.

I'd send out the offer through direct mail with an end date clearly printed.

Thoughts?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Custom Closets and Shower Doors
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Opinions Of ''free'' Work To Enter New Markets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrold View Post
What does everyone think about offering "free specials" when entering into a new market area?

I'm considering doing free sump pump inspections, free toilet leak inspections, or something along these lines to try and get more business in a different market area.
I've heard and understand the "if you don't put a value on it, they won't either" argument but if I'm only offering a free inspection of something, there isn't much value to assign.

I'd send out the offer through direct mail with an end date clearly printed.

Thoughts?
im curious about this as well.

Advertisement

Old 05-15-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,054

Is there any aspect of your plumbing trade and work that you provide that enables the consumer to appreciate an energy savings after they have a certain type of project done.

Are you wasting $$$$$ on a leaky faucet?

I can show you how this new upgraded "Never-Leak: fixture will not only save you money, but improve the appearance of your kitchen or bathroom.

Or, hot water heater tank replacements for higher energy efficiency and cleaning service.

Ed
Old 05-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

if you have the time go for it...
try to relegate free inspections to saturdays,
bc you have to enter their home.... clearly the will have to tweak their weekend schedule to be home for you.... so you will have more "serious minded" prospects.... vs doing them on week nights & having them say "yeah sure come over any night this week, I get home at 430" that's the fast track to getting your tires kicked......
ray
Old 05-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Epoxy Dude

Trade: Industrial Coatings & Linings
Rewards Points: 150

Sounds like a $50 value to me!

http://www.wolverinecoatings.com/Pic...kids&paint.gif
Old 05-15-2007, 09:18 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Plumbing & Electrical
Rewards Points: 516

Once when I was really slow, I put up a flyer at my local supply house offering free water heater cleanings. Takes about 15 minutes witha pair of 440's and a hose. Out of the 10 or so I got calls on, I was able to upsell about half of them into new heaters. Once your foot is in the door the rest is easy. And do extra for them, I know everyone (or most) are hell bent on charging for everything but I can't tell you how many customers I have for life because I went up and beyond. Bring some air raiders with you. Ya already know they are going to be rotted out. Take the water restricters out of their kitchen fauset and shower. They will be loving you for that one! Just take care of em, THEN after the invoice ASK them for referals. It's really OK to do that. "Thank You ma`am, I also wanted to ask if you would help me out, I am a new plumber (insert trade here) in the area and would greatly appreciate any referals you could give me. I'm honest, I know what I am doing, and I'm giving people smoking deals". Or something the like. Treat these customers like gold and it won't take long. I have a list of clients that I can call up and tell them I finally have the time to take care of that *** when can we schedule you in? However no one just handed them to me, I had to earn it.

Best wishes
Old 05-15-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

I say that any idea that you have, where the only thing you stand to lose is time, give it a try! If you'd otherwise be sitting on the porch in the evening, watching the world pass by, why not try something novel for your business?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshunk View Post
I say that any idea that you have, where the only thing you stand to lose is time, give it a try! If you'd otherwise be sitting on the porch in the evening, watching the world pass by, why not try something novel for your business?
If you don't have anything better to do, write your own novel...
Old 05-18-2007, 07:32 AM   #9
New Guy

Trade: Plumbing
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNLA View Post
Once when I was really slow, I put up a flyer at my local supply house offering free water heater cleanings. Takes about 15 minutes witha pair of 440's and a hose. Out of the 10 or so I got calls on, I was able to upsell about half of them into new heaters. Once your foot is in the door the rest is easy. And do extra for them, I know everyone (or most) are hell bent on charging for everything but I can't tell you how many customers I have for life because I went up and beyond.
I considered the water heater treatment but that, as you know, there are things that can go wrong. They aren't your fault but "it worked fine before you touched it".

I think I'm going to try the toilet deal. Just a simple dye test nothing fancy. Give the house a quick once-over and see if there is anything they need that I can sell them.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Discounted Plumbing Inspections
Mon-Wed- $110.00
Thursday- $55.00
Friday- $110.00
Saturday- $000.00 FREE, only 7 slot available each Saturday so act now!
We conduct a 26 point inspection of your homes plumbing system, some examples are:
dye test ALL of your toilet for leaks
test ALL of your faucets for leaks
make sure that you hot water heater is energy efficient and not leaking
check your exterior faucet to make sure they pass code (back flow)
.....(other stuff)
Old 05-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
Systems Fanatic

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 250

I'm offering free inspections to gated communities for painting work. I met with a property management company today that is going to endorse us in the communities they service.

The way I see it is that it's a lead-- actually a ton of leads with little competition. I can look at the entire community in a matter of hours, and develop a program for every home.

We've already done the fences on several of these places. Now we will be marketing to the individual owners. A free inspection just means a lead, and these will be incredibly cheap leads-- probably less than $1 each. And with little competition.

Brian Phillips
Old 05-19-2007, 08:21 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: carpenter
Rewards Points: 250

Mike Finley offers those free grab bars in showers and tubs for elderly people. I think that's genius, not to mention a good deed.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #13
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz the Painter View Post
If you don't have anything better to do, write your own novel...
Never good very good marks in the 'plays well with others' category on your report card in elementary school, did you?
Old 05-19-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

I wouldn't call for a free plumbing inspection, bc nothing is broken....
but I would call for a "hot water distribution insection" bc my hot water return is a joke.....

get specific w common plumbing ailments... ie
slow hot water, stained fixtures.... I m sure that will "pull" more leads vs
generic plumbing inspection... troll your net for specific plumbing conditions... for example if I were asked how's your home plumbing, I'd think & respond "fine" and get back to my routine....
if I were asked or read "do you have to wait for hot water?" I'd think yup upstairs shower & I get scolded in downstairs shower... maybe I should havemy hot return looped , get a hot tank or get an antiscold valve...

ray

Advertisement