Online Marketing

Old 09-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 64

Online Marketing

I know I posted something about facebook recently, but I was wondering what has worked for some of you as far as online marketing?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
New Guy

Trade: Remodeling(Kitchen/Bath)
Rewards Points: 54

Re: Online Marketing

Get good testimonies from your current clients before you start online marketing.

Advertisement

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dregular For This Useful Post:
belangerheating (02-11-2017), mgilmer (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #3
Visitors To Leads Founder

Trade: Marketing for Contractors
Rewards Points: 190
Send a message via Skype™ to mgilmer

Good testimonials will help. What is it that you have setup so far in your marketing?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #4

Trade: replacement windows
Rewards Points: 82

I think your question is much too vague. If you want some guidance and direction about marketing home or commercial services you need to get specific. Sorry. My window replacement business is very different from a commercial demolition company for instance.

Rod
Blue Sky Glass
Old 02-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,798

What works for some on here is a complete fail for others.

Some guys on here get great ROI from Facebook ads while others get nothing.

Some will swear by Houzz home advisor Yelp ECT and others will swear they are the devil.

For me personally Kijiji our local online classifieds has been working great and driving some great customers Samba mostly which are who I am targeting.

Others will tell you Kijiji and Craigslist has got them nothing but tire kickers.

Before you start online marketing first figure out where your customers are going to look for services like yours. If you want to target fortune 500 companies Facebook isn't going to be your best bet.

I know Ted Anderson here has great luck with FB targeting females looking for TV wall mounting.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #6

Trade: pest control
Rewards Points: 12

Cover the basics first - have a website and Yelp profile. Then, start advertising on Google. They have something called Call Only Ads where you don't get charged for clicks but for phone calls only. The best part is that at least as of now the calls are 2-3 times cheaper than click (I know it sounds weird but it's true).

If you need customers like right now I think Thumbtack is a good choice. You can bid on projects/jobs. The customers you get that way can leave positive reviews on Yelp and also recommend you.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:44 PM   #7

Trade: Web Design and SEO
Rewards Points: 4

I think the following will get your digital footprint started:

1.Having a website is number (optimized for local search)
2.Claim your google business page and optimize google maps
3.Claim Bing for business (older people use Bing and Internet Explorer)
4. Set up Facebook
5. Claim as many directory listings as you can ( yellow pages, yelp, local.com, etc)
6. Get reviews on the listing sites
6.Join a BNI Chapter

Once this base is done, Adwords and FB ads are more successful
Old 03-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: General and Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,614

What has worked for us;

1) Professional looking and optimized web site
2) Houzz with reviews and professional photos
3) Instagram
4) Facebook
5) Pinterest
Old 03-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,986

we need to know where your at, show your website and social media stuff
Old 03-03-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskyglass View Post
I think your question is much too vague.
Agreed, I'm with everyone who pointed out the answer is different for each business.

What no one else has mentioned so far is that the OP is a year and a half old. I suppose the thread can continue for the benefit of other members but unless the OP got his online marketing figured out, he may or may not still be in business to benefit from the discussion.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:54 PM   #11
Pro

I never even thought to join Bing places until I read it here. Just added my business!

Old 03-06-2017, 08:49 AM   #12

Trade: General Contracting
Rewards Points: 22

We've had some good feedback posting geo targeted deals via Facebook ads. Much more so than google. Paying anywhere from $5.00 to 12.00 per click just isn't for me. My area is so saturated with contractors that all relevant keywords have crazy high bids.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #13
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 454

On Facebook, what worked for us the best, are the reviews. We ask our clients to visit our Facebook page and leave a review in order to help other people find our services and products. We do the same for Houzz, Yelp, and Google reviews. Regarding Facebook, the other thing that works good, are paid campaigns. The truth is, the visibility of business pages is almost 0 on Facebook.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 PM   #14
New Guy

Trade: Towing
Rewards Points: 12

Online marketing is an art form with no set "one way". It's a combination of several elements, put inside a slow cooker in the spring in order to eat of its bounty for Thanksgiving (so to speak...).

Website design, SEO, Adwords and FB advertising are all part of the success of each business. Each industry has it's best practices and everyone likes their own strategy that they like to home in on.

The point is, several tactics can work, if done right. But no matter what you do, consistency over a period of time is the name of the game. I have a towing site that I've been working on for some time to master all of these elements, mixing organic marketing with other advertising.

It's a big adventure and takes time but can bring huge results if persistent. Good luck!
Old 03-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #15

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 4

I just found something sneaky I think you might want to try out. While I am waiting on my site to get to page 1 in Google I submitted a press release. In about a month I was on page one for the term best residential plumber Naperville.

Given, this is not my website that is ranking but some TV station site. However, I think it still counts because (in my opinion) it adds credibility - I don't say I am the best but a TV station.

Here's a link to the page itself http://www.wandtv.com/story/34312070...ve-been-chosen if you ant to check it out.

Of course there's no chance that I will make it to the top Google page for plumber Naperville (too competitive) but I am happy with what I got nevertheless.

If you want to do it - just Google press release distribution service or find someone on Fiverr to write the press release and distribute it for about $50.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:30 PM   #16

Trade: Water Damage/Mold
Rewards Points: 62

First, get your details in order. If you're going to list on Google/Google business pages, your address has to match EVERY other mention of your business online. I suggest setting this up first, then deal with all the other online listings. If Google doesn't feel like your listing is legit, they will block it and you'll never show up in search results.

Second, scan the web for any other mention of your business and correct any errors or missing profiles where appropriate. There are a couple of sites that have free scan tools, but Yext is probably a good place to start. (Don't get suckered in to their service, just use the tool and enter your updates manually at each listing site as you feel appropriate.)

Third, a website doesn't have to cost you $2K. In fact, you can create a basic website for free with sites like WIX. Pro tip - don't register your domain name with your hosting provider. Go to any domain registrar first to purchase your domain name. Then, choose a hosting service with a different company. (This prevents companies from being able to hold your site hostage for lack of payment or other issues.) I use NameCheap to register my domain, and then host with HostGator.

Lastly, take advantage of sites like NextDoor.com that are location/neighborhood specific. Facebook business pages fall into this category as well. You may want to ensure you're listed with BBB (not necessarily accredited, but listed), SICCODE, and Dun & Bradstreet.
NJ Contractor (03-18-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 04:40 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumberIL View Post
I just found something sneaky I think you might want to try out. While I am waiting on my site to get to page 1 in Google I submitted a press release. In about a month I was on page one for the term best residential plumber Naperville.

Given, this is not my website that is ranking but some TV station site. However, I think it still counts because (in my opinion) it adds credibility - I don't say I am the best but a TV station.

Here's a link to the page itself http://www.wandtv.com/story/34312070...ve-been-chosen if you ant to check it out.

Of course there's no chance that I will make it to the top Google page for plumber Naperville (too competitive) but I am happy with what I got nevertheless.

If you want to do it - just Google press release distribution service or find someone on Fiverr to write the press release and distribute it for about $50.
Do not use press releases, at least not the ones your talking about, at least not to your business site. You will talk your site.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #18
Pro

I use YouTube to get a similar result take a topic I want to be found on and do a video on it.

YouTube ranks really well

Old 03-18-2017, 07:20 PM   #19
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,168

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFoxx View Post
a website doesn't have to cost you $2K
That would be an incredibly cheap site. Or worse, the $500 special.

Personally, I would advise against WIX but they do make lots of money to advertise how easy it is to build your own site which at least has the merit of genuinely being easy. I'll openly admit it's possible for a contractor or business owner to build their own site and do well with it. That's the exception though and not the norm.

Since this thread is titled Online Marketing, even though the OP is long gone and it's now just a resurrected discussion, a little online marketing perspective is needed even though people that run their business as a business already know this. The price of your web site and online presence is a minor issue compared to what you get in return.

The value of each customer is different for everyone but to illustrate I have to choose some arbitrary numbers. Let's choose kitchen remodeling with price points averaging about $30k. Now let's project an increase of only one extra project for an entire year. A high ranking site with good presentation should be able to do considerably better but I just want to illustrate how ridiculous it is to focus only on cost when you're talking about a business decision.

Most contractors seem to think $5K to $10k for a web site is insane (I know because I've been here a long time). But really, who in their right mind wouldn't invest $10k to get $30k or more in return? The only problem is the lack of confidence you'll see such return. Very few DIY sites can approach even a fraction of the results a proven professional can provide.

You guys here find it amusing when you see DIY or hack contractor work. Forgive me if I find DIY or hack web sites amusing, especially when the goal is to persuade a potential customer to consider you for thousands of dollars in contractor work. If even a 5% increase in revenue isn't worth a few thousand invested, then you have good reason to do your own site but breaking free of the hamster on a wheel cycle will prove difficult.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:25 PM   #20
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
Most contractors seem to think $5K to $10k for a web site is insane (I know because I've been here a long time). But really, who in their right mind wouldn't invest $10k to get $30k or more in return? The only problem is the lack of confidence you'll see such return. Very few DIY sites can approach even a fraction of the results a proven professional can provide.

You guys here find it amusing when you see DIY or hack contractor work. Forgive me if I find DIY or hack web sites amusing, especially when the goal is to persuade a potential customer to consider you for thousands of dollars in contractor work. If even a 5% increase in revenue isn't worth a few thousand invested, then you have good reason to do your own site but breaking free of the hamster on a wheel cycle will prove difficult.
Steve,

Good point. The issue always lies within a couple of factors ranging from the type of contracting business (ie. a painter versus a Home Remodel Contractor), are they just starting out versus been in business for many years, how many towns they target, and how is the competitive landscape. Also comes into play if the contractor is just looking for leads or are they building a foundation that will grow with their company many years out. Do they include social stuff like Facebook and videos, etc.? Do they consider advanced topics like Citation Building and Linking?

I work with Do It Yourself folk who unfortunately are on a limited budget while getting started, and upwards of multi-million dollar companies. I hear everything from "I want to start as cheap as possible" to "I want to continue to dominate our market". Most center on the website costs but they may or may not include all the other topics that support a website. And most DIY don't include the value of their time when creating a website.

In the end, it is a very subjective topic and should not just be based on a random number. 5 to 10K is not insane based on the type of business and the long term objectives of the company.

Advertisement