Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Not much of a salesman?

11K views 64 replies 33 participants last post by  Scampf 
#1 ·
Ok, so it's getting clearer to me. I'm not much of a salesman. I've been busy and slowly expanding for the last 10 years, without much in the way of actually "selling" jobs. All referral work and clients who wanted to hire me.

Not sure if it's the current economy, or if I've tapped out the pool I had, or if I'm screwing something up or what, but I'm getting calls, just not really selling (maybe 1/4 close ratio). What next?

1) Try some advertising? I'm in the yellow pages, and have a half azzed page-holder website that's not done yet- HELLO, GET IT DONE DUMMY!

2) Learn how to sell? This almost offends me, as I haven't had to even think about that 'til now. I used to get 90%. Without trying.

3) Spruce up the image? I drive older trucks and wear logo'ed t-shirts (usually clean), could use a haircut.

4) Gotta run- I'll check back later...:whistling

#2 ·
1. Forget the yellow pages, finish the web site this month if not sooner.
2. Why should it offend you that your client's buying habits have changed some while you selling techniques haven't? You're taking this personally and this is business. Grow some hide or go to work for someone else.
3. Absolutely! You don't have to go all metrosexual, but clean, washed, clean cut, neutral odor and clothes that fit and look clean go a long way to setting yourself apart from the rift raft that plies these trades along side us.
4. Loose the "Gotta run" attitude. This is the death knell of so many contractors. "I have to be someplace/pick something up/check on a job/run some materials/do payroll/run to the bank! Gotta jet!! Catch me if you can!"

<rolls eyes> You can not be in any type of hurry when you're meeting with clients. They have to be the center of what you are all about. If you even start to make them think they are not the most important thing going on in your workday, then you've lost the sale. Period.

Just think of how you dislike someone chatting with a coworker while you're being ignored, as if you didn't exist. Don't do that to your clients!

Find your market and market to your finds! Know what you can and can not do, what you are willing and unwilling to do and stick to it.

This ain't rocket science, its much harder. Pay attention to the details and the big crap will take care of itself.

#40 ·
about selling yourself

The above is excellent advise. add the the below to the above..

1. Ask them exactly what it is they look forward to with a contractor and the job to be done.
2. Go beyond what the average contractor does for an estimate. For Ex. if you have a job close to their house, and if its exterior work, take them there!
3. Know your client/>take some time and build some rapport.
4. Finally, create the essence of honesty/sincere, trust and especialization in what you do. and 1/4 ROI is very good!! and theres always room for improvement!

#5 ·
First thing I had to get over was my "I'm a craftsman not a salesman" attitude.
As if it were better to be a carpenter. A successful business is the sum total of many different skills. One in 4 is OK close ratio. I think the previous advice was all very good. Good sales can be done, go to your local library and get all the sales books you can get your hands on. Pick a technique that fits your personality and perfect it. You'll be amazed at how your sales will pick up.

#6 ·
4. Loose the "Gotta run" attitude. This is the death knell of so many contractors. "I have to be someplace/pick something up/check on a job/run some materials/do payroll/run to the bank! Gotta jet!! Catch me if you can!"

I agree with all said, Double-A, this line however, was about me needing to run TODAY and return a machine I rented...:laughing:

All- thanks for the input. Guess I'm looking for a kick in the pants... I'm having a hard time with the transition from being a smaller co. to growing and having to work harder to get the work.

It's not the job of anyone here to help, but I guess the input I'm looking for right now is this-

-A little encouragement to step up and adapt to the changing times/changing business model I'm reaching for.

-Ideas on how to be a better salesman... I've tried some things, and think maybe I'm just sounding desperate to the clients. Not sure how to proceed.

Thanks for the replies so far!

#15 · (Edited)
Better yet, read a book that has nothing to do with sales. How to Win Friends and Influence People, by Dale Carnegie.

I have been in sales for 17 years now, and this is by far and away the very best of all books on interpersonal communication. I make it required reading in my office. I would throw in MGSProperties suggestion on top of it to learn how to actually close someone for your trade, and How to Close Every Sale by Joe Girard is very good as well.

JJ

#9 ·
I Am Missing Your Point?

I think you guys have it all wrong here. Is everyone that wrote a post here perfect at everything you do in your business? Are there some things that you shove off to others because in your mind hey I am not that good at this?

If you are not good at sales than find someone who is! I firmly agree to hire the best of the best for that position.

Yes it would be nice to where all the hats but sometimes you will thrive with all the right people in there places.

Why do you think the internet has done so well? There are so many online business and most have people all over the country and the world doing most of the work for them.

I have alot of ideas and I am very visionary but it takes alot of other people to take it to the next level and build it into my final vision.

Do not be afraid to hire out. Good luck.

#10 ·
I think you guys have it all wrong here. Is everyone that wrote a post here perfect at everything you do in your business? Are there some things that you shove off to others because in your mind hey I am not that good at this?

If you are not good at sales than find someone who is! I firmly agree to hire the best of the best for that position.

Yes it would be nice to where all the hats but sometimes you will thrive with all the right people in there places.

Why do you think the internet has done so well? There are so many online business and most have people all over the country and the world doing most of the work for them.

I have alot of ideas and I am very visionary but it takes alot of other people to take it to the next level and build it into my final vision.

Do not be afraid to hire out. Good luck.

Thanks! That's the right idea... not sure I'm ready for that step yet, but that's the model to strive for!:clap:

#12 · (Edited)
1) I'd say what you are seeing Forry is simply a change in your market, specifically an increase in competition -- more specifically a lowering of pricing. (Can you verify this? Or do you already suspect it?) (Anybody saying they got 90% of their jobs has been relying more heavily on prices then they want to give credit to) You've simply been moved against your will into a position of competing on price now, because your bids are tending higher (thanks to your peers cutting prices because they are desperate to chase the few jobs available) combined with consumers who are double thinking remodeling and growing into a wait and see sort of mindset. In the past your prices have been more than competitive, you've simply raised your prices in the eyes of your prospects due to your peers lowering theirs.

2) Your sales cycle has most likely been increased, probably doubled right now. Everything points to a longer sales cycle now with consumers. Consumers aren't in a hurry, not with daily bombardments of bad news in the newspapers and tv newscasts. Are you following up with leads you have done estimates for? I'd predict you are finding that a lot of them still have not made a buying decision yet. Sometimes he who touches the customer last gets the sale. Following up and staying in touch is more important right now. A follow up with an offer to take another look at their project for prospects who still haven't bought after 60 days isn't a bad idea.

I'm not so sure that "selling" is your issue other than maybe just having to pay a bit more attention to business now. Increasing follow up, increasing your face time with a prospect, increasing asking more questions and increasing your perceived value to them should all be things to think about right now. Some would define that as being under the umbrella of "selling".

#13 · (Edited)
My back has been against the wall this year very hard.

I am catching up and things are looking better.

Over the past 2 weeks I did something that I haven't done in a long time.

I got off my azz and became hungry for the sales again. Just like when I was starting out. I was faced with a choice to change my pricing or to become a better closer, as is always the eternal pursuit. No, I decided that lowering prices would not work, so I re-invigorated myself even with all of the adversity going on.

I have done 5 time the estimates per week that I normally do and I am getting more personal in my sales presentation. Heck, I don't even use my 8 page proposal except for an end of discussion summary, just to point out what we were talking about when we went through their job problem photos and my photo album of consistent solutions.

Thursday night, when I measured a roof for an 89 year old gentleman, who is extremely sharp and has a detail oriented background, I spent about 2 hours in his home just getting to know him better.

Yesterday, I delivered the written proposal and photos and he signed up for all of the upgrade options. I spent about another 2 hours with him this time also.

I also delivered another one to a home owner who got denied by his insurance company for hail damage. 90 % of all of his neighbors are getting free roofs, so I figured it to be a tough sell. He liked the detailed proposal and the professionalism and the enthusiasm I showed for my work and the pride I have in my employees.

Bam. An $ 11,000 one layer tear-off job. I spent about 2 hours with him also and got to know about this wife and kid. He told me that my devotion to spending so much time with him is what tipped the scale in my favor.

Go out and pretend like you are starting from the beginning again. Use that innocent eager enthusiasm that you surely must have had at one time. If that doesn't work, try the readings on a continual basis. Sign up for sales e-mail newsletters and ideas.

The ONE customer you are meeting with is the most important person and job to you. Believe it. Let them be aware of the sincerity. Live it as if every time you meet a prospect, that this is the one person that you want to know more about. Even take some written notes about some family details, so that you can throw those tidbits into a future conversation.

Make every prospect become not only a satisfied customer, but one that is grateful that they met you and chose your services. Develop an expectation from them, that they will refer you to other friends and family.

Keep in touch with all customers periodically. Results will improve. 1 out of 4 is just showing up. Any warm body with an estimate can sell 1 out of 4. You can do better than than and you know it, so get to it.

Ed

#16 ·
Thanks Ed, that's what I was needing to hear.
Largely it seams I'm living on the coattails of my early successes and reputation. Competition is fierce now and people are more discriminating buyers... money's tighter.
In the past I didn't have to work for a sale, people called because they wanted ME, and if it cost that much, well that's what it takes to do it. Now, everyone's shopping around, and of course folks can get it done cheaper. I try and sell on value, but I'm thinking my presentation is poor. I hear myself say stupid things, and later, after a consultation, I worry over all the things I did wrong. Sounds like a whiny little low self esteem loser, right? Never been like that before. I've always been self confident almost to a fault.

Things changed this last year... I hired a lead carpenter to run a "B" team with me doing the higher end jobs. Then I ran my hand through the table saw and couldn't work for two months. So I stepped back from doing the work to selling the work and running things from the back end. Almost right away things went better in a lot of ways. I was able to keep better track of scheduling, subs, materials, etc. much better than ever before. Then surprising enough, The $ started rolling in! Because I wasn't pounding nails, I could keep the guys running efficently and things went well.

Now I'm having a hard time selling... don't really get it.

Thanks all for the good advise, and for reading my whine.:blink:

#23 ·
Thanks Mike. Kind of what I was thinking too, thoughts on the best types of advertising? I guess my website should be #1 priority, but what next? Newspaper ads seem desperate, magazines are $$$$.

#25 ·
Concentrate on what folks in Eugene, OR like and don't like. Look at your past clients and try to find similarities in lifestyles, neighborhoods, income levels, etc. Once you know who your market is, how to market to them will become a bit easier. How have your clients found you in the past if not from a referral?

Sponsorships are a good form of advertising, as are school programs. Partnering with local supply houses works well too. The best leads tend to come from networking. I talk to folks all day long, just to chitchat where ever I go. I strike up conversations and find out what people are doing and why. This has lead to some very good referrals as well as self-generated leads.

You don't want to walk up and stick out your hand and ask, "Hey, you need a remodeler?", just take an interest in what they are doing or how they are dressed and follow the path that leads you down. You'll be surprised how often the conversation turns to work or the home and that leads into a chance to pass along a business card.

Sales is about people. The more comfortable you are around all types of people, the more that ease will show and will turn into trust. Trust is the key to making sales. The client will buy based on price as a first reaction, but the gut will always tell them to go with the one they trust the most.

#24 ·
Hard to say for you, the #1 rule of advertising is to advertise when you are busy, don't wait until you need to advertise to advertise. If you don't have any tried and true methods that have worked for you in the past you're starting from the ground zero and that's a bad spot to be in when you're faced with having to get that phone ringing now.

What type of work do you do and who are your typical customers? What are the price ranges of the jobs you typically do? The marketing methods that works effectively for a plumber who specializes in service work won't necessarily work for a custom home builder, you know what I mean?

#26 ·
I sort of skimmed over the replies, here's my two cents.

Learn to build trust, if people trust you they will buy from you. While I own a bunch of sales books, DVD's and cd's I can't think of any of them that really touch on the subject. If you look back on your past sales you might see examples of where people bought from you because they trusted you. Words alone generally will not get you the job, talk and then back up your statements with proof. "We have done several projects just like yours" [and then show pictures] "our clients are very happy with the work" [show a few testimonials] "we carry insurance, a state license, blah blah, and have zero complaints on BBB" [show screen prints]. I used "WE" on purpose, don't use it clients don't want to hear about them, figure out ways to replace WE and I [you will have nice new trim around your new doors when we are done].

Ed's reply was good, clients want to hire a human not a salesperson that wants to "close a deal" and move on to the "next lead". It takes a while to learn to talk to a client about other interests without coming across like you want to "warm them up so you can sell them". I would suggest sitting in on a few estimates in order to see how other people "warm up" it's an art! If all else fails at least compliment them on some of their other home improvements, furniture selection, paintings..........something that you like (don't be fake). After your estimate take a few minutes on the drive home to think about how well you connected with your client. Where you able to get them talking about thinks other than the project? How many things do you have in common? If you got stuck in a snow bank 2 blocks away will they bring you a snow shovel?

As far as your haircut goes, don't look like a bum. Your statement about your hair and shirts comes across like you know that you look like a bum. We have all seen very professional people with long hair that still appear professional. Clean clothes that are not stained are a must. Some people are not comfortable in dress pants and dress shirts, in which case I would suggest jeans and a nice company shirt or golf pullover. Do your clients want a big professional company or do they want a small professional company? It took me years to figure out that my clients want a small professional company. If they are looking for a big professional company then dress up a little.

#28 ·
Not sure if it's the current economy, or if I've tapped out the pool I had, or if I'm screwing something up or what, but I'm getting calls, just not really selling (maybe 1/4 close ratio).
1 in 4 ain't bad, depending on pricing and competition.
Meet 16 people and sell 4 jobs per week..meet 32 and sell 8.

Close 1 in 3 ?
Meet 12 people and sell 4 jobs per week...meet 24 and sell 8.

Ed is right.
LISTEN, and the listen some more. What do they need?
Don't get in a hurry. Show them they are important to you.
Ask for referrals.

Give them a history lesson.
Who are you and why should they hire you?
How long have you been in business?

Print your BBB report.
Put it in your flip book.
Get a flip book.;)
Put in purtty pictures.
Put in some industry information if appropriate.

Get a haircut and a shave.
Wear a shirt with YOUR logo on it.
Keep the truck clean and tidy.
Don't park on the lawn.

Guarantee the job.
What will you guarantee and what will you fix?
Present a nice, simple contract.
Ask them when they would like you to start.

And to repeat:
Make'm love you, but don't be a phony while doing it.
Ask for referrals.

#30 ·
Better sales results

There are a lot of good answers here and I'll try not to repeat what other people said, but here are some info to take into consideration...

All of you will agree that the best customers you can get are referrals from happy customers. I can tell you that from our experience (surveys) the most important things for HO when hiring a pro are:

Talking to previous customers about their experience(referrals)
Seeing samples of previous jobs (pictures)
Staying on budget of the original proposal
Finishing (and starting) on schedule
Attention to details
Quality of work
Keeping the work area clean at the end of each day
Price

You should also try to educate the homeowners about the work to be done. People want to feel they are working with an expert that knows and care about his workmanship.

#31 ·
All of you will agree that the best customers you can get are referrals from happy customers.
Personally I wouldn't agree with that. I've had plenty of leads generated by customer referrals that are totally unqualified leads. The only thing they are is familiar with your work, it still doesn't make them a qualified lead. Phrases like "$20,000? Oh I had no idea!" can easily be heard from a referral.

I haven't figured out a way to make a previous customer pre-qualify who they tell about you though. I can't imagine the conversation of telling your previous customers to only tell their friends who understand what it costs to do something correctly about you. Only tell your friends who have proper budgets and expectations about you. :laughing:

Referrals are good leads, and we should all strive to get them because they have cheap aquisition costs in relation to most other leads, but I'd never consider them the best leads you can get. -- My thoughts on the subject for what they are worth.

#37 · (Edited by Moderator)
This is an impressive and useful thread. I especially appreciate Ed's observations about how he got down to business -- and earth -- and found what he needs.
Most businesses go through ups and downs; the test of entrepreneurship is how well we work through the painful declines. Often the problems are the overall economy (and clearly that has had serious impact on our industry). I can attribute my first decline to the bad economy (in early 90s) and lack of experience; the more recent crisis -- which hit bottom two years ago -- has everything to do with failures in business (and sales) management.
Last year, before Sonny Lykos' untimely passing, he sent me masses of information on "branding". At first I was puzzled -- branding seemed an arcane concept; one for 'big business' and really not relevant to a smaller organization. But as I read through his materials -- and the books he recommended -- I began to get it. I also saw how through some changes in branding practices, I had indeed started to engineer a major turn-around of my business.
Today, all our salespeople are encouraged to spend at least a quarater of their time on stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with selling, and everything to do with giving. In our case, we actively support construcvtion and community organizations with free publicity and advertising contributions. I spend many hours with my Construction Marketing Ideas blog, and just returned from the Society for Marketing Professional Services convention in Denver (SMPS is a 7,000 member association dedicated to AEC marketing). I'm on the editorial committee for the association newsletter. Do I do this stuff because I believe people will respond and advertise in our publications? Sure, but the linkage is truly indirect and when I work on these projects I don't care how much I can get; only how much I can give.
Your 'give' may be different -- perhaps making a toy house for a community charity raffle (note this is very different than contributing one of many to some structured event); or volunteering to help a condominium corporation with a faciliites review. The whole idea is 'free stuff' and I certainly don't mean 'free estimates' here.
The effect of these initiatives, linked with the other common-sense basics of client respect and customer service, is to create a brand; a positive emotional and practical tie between the business and current and potential clients. In effect, our sales team practice, for want of a better word, Sarketing -- selling, but also thinking the broader marketing picture.
On selling, resources worthy of consideration are Jeffrey Gitomer's site/newsletter and (for a book specifically on topic), Michael Stone's Profitable Sales.
Sonny Lykos, practiced what he preached right to the end -- teaching me the branding principals and concepts that truly work and make selling a whole lot more fun.

#38 ·
Mark,

I have the complete "Branding" collection that Sonny had sent to me over a long period of time plus some more that I sent to him.

If there are any additional pieces you want, please contact me.

By the way, by following through, I had one sale per day over the past 4 days and that came out to a bit over $ 36,000.00 for 4 roof jobs, so keep the pedal to the metal and get hungry again. It works.

Ed

#41 ·
Sounds like I need to:

Get more calls... got some ideas
Spruce up the appearance a bit
Get my darn website up and running
Keep my rates the same for now
Trim some fat and hope this slow down will pass
Maybe work on building confidence in my selling ability?
This ones tricky, as I don't really have a meter for how well I'm selling. How do I know if I'm doing a good job? I know when I've done a bad job... those meetings I walk away from knowing I botched it. It's when I get nervous I get stupid. I think it's because I don't have a lot of capital and I want to keep the guys working... their GOOD. I did well when I wasn't worried. I was able to meet with clients knowing they needed me more than I needed them, so I was solid. Was I wrong to think that way? Now I need clients. Hmmm. Funny turn around.

#42 ·
This ones tricky, as I don't really have a meter for how well I'm selling.

How do I know if I'm doing a good job?

I know when I've done a bad job... those meetings I walk away from knowing I botched it.

I was able to meet with clients knowing they needed me more than I needed them, so I was solid.

Was I wrong to think that way?
I have gone through the exact same self doubt each of the past 2 years when things were going slowly for me.

Stop It!!!

You said that you: "Get Nervous And Get Stupid".

That possibly means one serious flaw in your selling technique. You are doing too much of the talking.

Engage the customers to find out what they want and how they feel about the different aspects you have specified in your initial consultation.

I do not bring out my written proposal until we all are about 75 % or so done with all sorts of other things.

Firstly, most home owners ask how long an appointment will take.

My response is that it will take as long as they want it to and that most last around 30-40 minutes. (Baloney.....)

I am never their for less than 1 hour and if I have engaged them and sought out their open and honest opinions on their problems and how they viewed my solutions, which are all backed up by manufacturers literature and internet articles and most importantly, photos of the problems they have with their existing conditions of their roof in addition to my photo album which chronologizes the solutions for similar problems I have dealt with on similar homes, then they are actually part of the sales team, because we all are working out the best solution for their budget.

Providing a proposal and meeting for an appointment to deliver a presentation does not mean getting on the podium and giving a lecture. It means geting them engaged in the problems and seeing your solutions as the best option.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.