News Press Releases?

Old 02-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,054

News Press Releases?

Do any of you other guys acquire free press about you or your company?

I always see it listed in guides on how to get free publicity for yourself, but I do not know how to approach the media.

I've got some ideas, but until put into practice, they are just ideas.

What has worked for any of you out there?

Thank You,

Ed

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: News Press Releases?

This is real easy if you're in a smaller popoulation, they'll print most anything. Write it up, send it in and wait. Even if your writing is only fair, editors will clean it up.

In cities, you need to be promoted to the largest bank in town.

Advertisement

Albert Einstein
Old 02-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Deck Cleaner

Trade: Deck Cleaning, Staining, Restoration
Rewards Points: 500

I have a firm working on a nationwide blitz for my R-A-D products. Its pricey but they have the connections and I don't have the time to write 500 newspapers. I'll let you know the return in a few months. Locally I have done them with PressurePros via charity work. They are very effective on a smaller scale.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #4
Pro

I have ideas on the subject as well, but just have not implemented them yet. Low item on the "things in progress and things to do list", but I was wondering about an "Ask The Contractor" or "What Problems Contractors See Most Often And What To Do About It" type article.

There are a vast amount of intelligent trades members and topics that can be derived right from this ContractorTalk forum. Maybe we can start a new thread for those types of informative articles to be dealt with, right here on CT.

This reminds me when Richard Kaller was still alive and he and CCN had the BB caled "Ask The Wizard" phorum. A habit I noticed Richard using to exhume as much content as he could for that BB was for him to appear on many other BB's and post and respond to various topics. It did not seem to matter if the responses that he acquired were meaningful or correct from the ones he chose to re-post. What he did do, was to provide what a real world contractors questions would be or the impractical methods used to attemp to solve a problem as well as some actual talented responses as well.

Is anybody in?

Possibly a colaborative effort on our part may assist each other in establishing our own "Wizard" status.

Ed
Old 02-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Lead Generation Machine

Trade: Pay-Per-Lead Yellow Page Advertising
Rewards Points: 22

Here's part of my "secret stash" for doing press releases:

www.24-7pressrelease.com
prleap.com
openpr.com

These are free - you have to dig around top find the free options (they kinda hide them) but they are free.

prweb.com is the best online source - and will deliver the most exposure for your PR.. but they charge.

Regardless... you should only submit press releases when you have news-worthy information. This... of course.. is easy to create. Anythig new going on in the business is news worthy.

Most importantly is the formatting of the press release. Do a search for "how to write a press release" to get notes on this.

search for my name (damion rutherford) and you'll find lots of press releases I've written that have been picked up by several places.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm very curious about the realistic possibilities of what a press release sent out on these free services or even PR web is really going to do. Will anybody really even see it? Does anybody that matters actually subscribe to these free services or even PR web?

I've thought about doing releases on:

We do free grab bars for people who can't afford them.
Being the only company in Colorado that does what we do.
Achieving a 99.93% customer satisfaction rating.
Being as fast as we are, on average we only take 1/3 of the time typically required.

and a few other things, but I've been doubtfull if any of these web based services would actually go anywhere.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Deck Cleaner

Trade: Deck Cleaning, Staining, Restoration
Rewards Points: 500

Mike, I don't trust pure web based releases either. The campaign I am launching is for all hard copy newpapers.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
Lead Generation Machine

you shouldnt do "just" these anyway...

Here's where the online press releases help...

Many websites subscribe to these... which get added to blogs... and websites.

So... your local TV/Radio station... who may be syndicating content from these sources...will get your story.... because of "keywords" in the copy... or the city name in the heading.

Offline... submitting... a friendly follow-up phone call to let them know about it... does the trick
Old 02-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #9
Pro

And, how about more directly to your local newspaper. I would feel that if there were any article written about our company, that would be like striking gold.

I would include a copy of the article in every presentation package.

Ed

Any feedback on my previous post about a colaboritive "ask the contractor" wizard status medium?
Old 02-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #10
Lead Generation Machine

Agreed Ed - including it in your promo materials and premailers is a great idea.

If it helps anyone here - I have a list of every newspaper in the country by area... and contact emails for the editors. The contact info may be a bit out of date since I don't update the list frequently... but if you guys need anything send me a PM
Old 02-04-2007, 12:37 PM   #11
Pro

I wonder if Don Lepre' stil has his infomercials on late night about how to make money selling stuff in classified ads? Just kidding, I know he is the wealthy version of bankrupt.

Ed
Old 02-04-2007, 12:52 PM   #12
Lead Generation Machine

Ed whats the wizard thing about?
Old 02-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #13
Pro

The ask the wizard phorum is what the the contractornetwork, Certified Contractor Network, CCN, used to openly post for q & a. The archived questions are stil available by the link I provided, but the new version of the phorum is closed to CCN members only.

Ed

phorum - Ask the WizardNo Longer Post To “Ask the Wizard” new, Richard Kaller, CCN, 0, 07-04-04 13:25 ... Chimney question and Ask The Wizard enhancement new, John Dunbar ...
www.contractors.net/phorum/list.php?f=1 - 24k - Cached - Similar pages
Old 02-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

http://www.freelinks.com/ look on the left of the page, a bunch of free places to release info about your company.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:39 PM   #15
Pro

Wow, just like the idea I posted at the end of posts # 4 and # 9, someone has requested something similar in the Remodeling forum.

Are there any takers to accept this challenge and responsibility?

Ed
Old 02-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #16
Lead Generation Machine

Hey Ed,

I'm always game for ideas... but I guess I'm still confused on what you're trying to put together.

How could I help?

Damion
Old 02-05-2007, 10:32 PM   #17
Pro

Contractor image perception is dragged through the mud as a general industry wide perception.

A collaborative effort, to advise, to inform, and to ease the strain, may be an excellent way to ward off contractor cynicism and reinforce the image and reputation of any participating contractor who would participate in an open forum.

I had the inkling to suggest this same concept in another BB where construction personal discuss business and am awaiting some constructive feedback.

Nets, step over to the other forum I mentioned to you the other day, and review the thread, "Industry Wide Perception Of Contractors" and to get some background as to why that was posted, review the post about Texas Contractors, and the allegedly victimized woman who joined in the posting on that topic.

In a nutshell, I feel that knowledgeable contractors may be able to stifle vilified customers perceived qualms about contractors in general, if (and this is only one suggestion) we collectively reached out to the "Kick the Contractor" bashing forums or blogs with a unified voice representing the higher standards I tend to view on these boards. Be the ally, and not the enemy. A wounded bear can growl loud enough for legislation to stick their noses further into where it does not belong any further.

(Bears can growl, but can not hang onto the football!) Oh well.

Ed
Old 06-16-2007, 06:06 PM   #18
Pro

A new guy named NoBull, was discussing press releases, so I thought it would be appropriate to bump this thread back to the top.

Previous posters, any updates on what you were trying to achieve?

Ed
Old 06-16-2007, 06:13 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Do any of you other guys acquire free press about you or your company?

I always see it listed in guides on how to get free publicity for yourself, but I do not know how to approach the media.

I've got some ideas, but until put into practice, they are just ideas.

What has worked for any of you out there?

Thank You,

Ed

ed searh for this topic.
though the key to having a press release accepted by an editor is public intrest. for example if I write a pr on how refreshing a swim on a hot day is REJECTED. if I write a pr on poolside safety ACCEPTED and wil probablly lead to an interview...

ray
Old 06-16-2007, 06:16 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Swimming Pool Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,008

oops I forgot to yell at you ed. back to basics!!!!!

ray

Advertisement