New Marketing Ideas

Old 09-07-2009, 02:41 AM   #1

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 10

New Marketing Ideas

The commercial retail & general TI market has dried up here, so I was thinking of distributing brochures & e-mails to mortgage lenders and realtors to try and tap into the bank repo market. So what do you think? Is this a dead horse.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction News Service
Rewards Points: 252

Re: New Marketing Ideas

The bank and repo market may not be dead, but I'm not sure how effective "distributing brochures and emails" will be in making inroads.

Relationships are vitally important here and cold inquiries using any form of mass communication will likely be ineffective. You need to be much more focused and targeted (especially with Realtors, as only a few are going to have the connections and business which matter to you.) This may be a case where picking up the phone or sending a highly personal email to the right person does a whole lot more than "marketing".

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #3

Trade: General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher1 View Post
The bank and repo market may not be dead, but I'm not sure how effective "distributing brochures and emails" will be in making inroads.

Relationships are vitally important here and cold inquiries using any form of mass communication will likely be ineffective. You need to be much more focused and targeted (especially with Realtors, as only a few are going to have the connections and business which matter to you.) This may be a case where picking up the phone or sending a highly personal email to the right person does a whole lot more than "marketing".
Thanks for the imfo, I was going to use the brochure as an ice breaker. I probably should have my web page up and running so they have something to reference. I was going to do my marketing face to face.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
Home remodeling

Trade: Remodeler & Home Builder
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
The commercial retail & general TI market has dried up here, so I was thinking of distributing brochures & e-mails to mortgage lenders and realtors to try and tap into the bank repo market. So what do you think? Is this a dead horse.
You have nothing to lose at this point. It's better to do something than sitting around waiting on the phone to ring.

Go for it!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Construction News Service
Rewards Points: 252

If you are going to do a brochure, you will need to spend money on good design and printing. Printing isn't too much of a problem, you can do an online thing and use high quality colour copiers to print as you need. Design can be another issue if you aren't familiar with how to get it done at low cost.

The problem is that the brochure isn't necessarily a great ice breaker. What is a good ice breaker is some useful information and ideas for the people you are trying to work with -- and that comes from understanding the type of information they need and want to help them be more successful in their work. Of course that expression can be some insights about what you do best. I suppose you can put this in a brochure, but websites and emails are much less expensive!

i'm all in favour of marketing but this is one where your relationships need to be built and brochures won't break the ice unless you truly are defying the odds.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
Pro,self employed28 years

Trade: Residential Remodeling

If that is the market you are looking to persue I recommend before you spend a nickel, join or attend a local REIA group meeting. That is where you are most likely to find the right people for information on REO's in your area and if it's worth your time trying to go after them. You may also want to consider short sale properties.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #7
Twisted Cameron

Trade: Concrete, Metal buildings
Rewards Points: 254

I kind of did this. I took a bunch of flyers to several real estate offices, I got several calls, a few bids couple jobs and a referal. I spent a whopping 3 hours to do this.

Advertisement