Need Help With SEO

Old 05-31-2017, 01:50 PM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 28

Need Help With SEO

Hello Friends. I am general contractor and I also maintain my own web site. I don't have enough time on my hands to do that at extend I need to. But here is a question for the public. I had a dude in our show room showing interest to purchase materials, wasted tons of my time, by the end of the conversation tells me works for HIBU an wants to do my marketing (people be aware of them). I almost fell. Had a pleasure working with them many years back. Reading back their reviews I can see that they didn't improve. So gave the guy card and send him telling to come back when he needs the floors. Guy just shows up few months later, I had to tell him plainly into his face leave and don't come back as he was at the point of harassing. Right next day all my traffic fell from about 110 visitors a day to almost nothing. I had not changed any content drastically, I slow add posts, so I don't expect anything impact my SEO, may be that was just a co-incident. I need help with maintenance of my site for SEO traffic and get me back on google my business. We were on there just fine. Last fall changed address, added few categories and now can't find myself on there. Can find on the maps when look by the company name. Can't blame anyone but me on that, I guess, but still can't figure out how to get myself back.
Web site www.mmpremodel.com
I also need help with adding e-commerce to the site, if possible. Just to get us starting
thank you in advance

Last edited by mmpremod; 05-31-2017 at 01:53 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,404

Re: Need Help With SEO

sites4contractors.com

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 872

Almost zero chance that guy had anything to do with your traffic drop unless all your traffic was from one or two sources and he was able to claim or redirect them. Extremely unlikely that it would be possible and even more unlikely he'd be willing to take the time, or know how, to do it.

If you have a showroom then it's long past time you had someone take over your digital marketing. You're losing tons of revenue, and it's only going to get worse.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
mmpremod (05-31-2017)

Old 05-31-2017, 04:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
Almost zero chance that guy had anything to do with your traffic drop unless all your traffic was from one or two sources and he was able to claim or redirect them. Extremely unlikely that it would be possible and even more unlikely he'd be willing to take the time, or know how, to do it.

If you have a showroom then it's long past time you had someone take over your digital marketing. You're losing tons of revenue, and it's only going to get worse.
Thank you for confirmation, it's probably co-incident. I agree, to make matters worse I am consultant on totally unrelated subject to construction (IT, just not a SEO or web sites) and have another full time job besides that. I will contact guys above as I can't keep up with everything. Plus I really want to add e-commerce and I would have to quit both of my jobs to just do it.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,136

I don't know specifically what happened and didn't dig to be able to offer an extensive analysis but I should be able to offer a helpful inside perspective as a guy who does sites, marketing, and SEO for a living. First, for him to waste a bunch of your time seems strange and I don't condone it in any way whatsoever. But the power grab to dethrone you seems more coincidental as others have already suggested.

Speaking as a vendor, I don't have time nor motivation to thwart you just for the sake of punishing you for not becoming a client. However, if I were hired by a competitor in your market, it's no holds barred. My job would be to identify your weakness and exploit it to the best of my ability.

I can't say for sure, but that may be the case and the timing with the other guy a mere coincidence. One thing I can say for sure, if I was hired by your competition, I would be merciless in making my client bury you. To use an old expression, it's not personal, it's just business. My job is to make a strong case for my client to give them every advantage over you that I can.

Maybe your experience is nothing more than just that with ironic timing. I'm not the cause of your woes, but hired by a competitor, I certainly would be and would make things as difficult for you as I possibly could. After you consider how much of a prick that makes me, maybe someone with the same motivation is behind your experiences.

Last edited by cbscreative; 05-31-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #6

Trade: Avatar Trade
Rewards Points: 8

His persistence suggests other motives like working for a competitor to find out your weaknesses. It's quite easy and inexpensive to arrange for any website to go down the rankings.

You get a gig with something like Mechanical Turk and get them to go to the target site from Google search, leave in 10 seconds and then go to the one below in the search page and stay there for 60 seconds. This plays on Google's interaction algorithm to push you down. And yes, if this is what has happened, the guy is indeed a prick.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
His persistence suggests other motives like working for a competitor to find out your weaknesses. It's quite easy and inexpensive to arrange for any website to go down the rankings.

You get a gig with something like Mechanical Turk and get them to go to the target site from Google search, leave in 10 seconds and then go to the one below in the search page and stay there for 60 seconds. This plays on Google's interaction algorithm to push you down. And yes, if this is what has happened, the guy is indeed a prick.
Thank you, I appreciate the information. That would make sense.
I have a feeling that he was driven by something else due to few crazy comments that he made. I am usually not a paranoid type, but guy took it as I personally broke up with him.
As a precaution, please don't ever work with HIBU (they are former yellow pages). I am not saying this because of this guy, but we were customers of HIBU many years back. They do web design, SEO and everything in between. they lock people in contracts and auto renew them where people can't get off them. We didn't do web services with them but it was a challenge to get off the contract. I went to read reviews after first visit and they are still same as they were before, back in 2011. HIBU is rated around 1 star. Pretty much what I told the guy. So I have to work on getting things back to where they were. Good time do start my e-commerce project

Veronika
Old 06-12-2017, 10:18 AM   #8
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,492

I see that you are building on your website slowly (by looking at all the services and noticing just a few have detail pages). Personally I would map out what you are looking to target for leads, and strengthen correctly. It is hard to tell what exactly you may be looking for with the site to generate leads since you cast a wide net and focus on just a few items with not much focus.

Also, you have a lot of diversification between the Residential Remodeling, Residential Construction and Commercial Renovations sides of your business. You should be cautious to separate the two in how you market yourself (visually and with SEO topics) since it seems they are overlapping efforts.

I have examples I can give you but I never heard back from the earlier inquiry between us offline. Just a friendly reminder since I saw your activity but didn't hear back in case you wish to consider. Have a good day.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
I see that you are building on your website slowly (by looking at all the services and noticing just a few have detail pages). Personally I would map out what you are looking to target for leads, and strengthen correctly. It is hard to tell what exactly you may be looking for with the site to generate leads since you cast a wide net and focus on just a few items with not much focus.

Also, you have a lot of diversification between the Residential Remodeling, Residential Construction and Commercial Renovations sides of your business. You should be cautious to separate the two in how you market yourself (visually and with SEO topics) since it seems they are overlapping efforts.

I have examples I can give you but I never heard back from the earlier inquiry between us offline. Just a friendly reminder since I saw your activity but didn't hear back in case you wish to consider. Have a good day.
thank you, Brian .I have your email, I just didn't have time to give you a call. I will free up some time next week and I will call you to talk more. I agree on all the aspects. I did site myself and lacking time obviously.....
Sincerely,
Veronika
Old 06-13-2017, 04:20 PM   #10

Trade: millwork
Rewards Points: 40

I use Inside Edge. They work strictly with contractors and do a good job. Their web site is www.ourinsideedge.com Good luck.

Ron
Quality Custom Interiors
The Following User Says Thank You to qualitycustom For This Useful Post:
mmpremod (06-13-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 07:11 PM   #11
Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmpremod View Post
As a precaution, please don't ever work with HIBU (they are former yellow pages).
Agreed, don't ever buy SEO from companies that steadfastly sold overpriced, diminishing return ads until they were forced to seek a new cash cow when they could milk YP ads no longer...that cow being SEO.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbscreative For This Useful Post:
mmpremod (06-13-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 12:02 PM   #12
New Guy

Trade: Pest Control
Rewards Points: 66

you should outsource to someone in the Philippines it's very cheap!

972-217-2527​
Your Neighborhood Pest Control
1313 Brittany Lane
Arlington, TX 76013
Old 07-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #13
Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestPestControl View Post
you should outsource to someone in the Philippines it's very cheap!
It's admirable that you want to help someone less privileged earn some money but your risk factor is very high. Cheap SEO usually means stupid bots spam millions of web sites flinging dung and hoping some of it will stick. Those stupid bots can't tell the difference between a CT post form, a blog comment form, and a site email form. You'll end up with a lot of cheap SEO hitting people's email inbox. That's a poor choice to make for your company stability and reputation.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
It's admirable that you want to help someone less privileged earn some money but your risk factor is very high. Cheap SEO usually means stupid bots spam millions of web sites flinging dung and hoping some of it will stick. Those stupid bots can't tell the difference between a CT post form, a blog comment form, and a site email form. You'll end up with a lot of cheap SEO hitting people's email inbox. That's a poor choice to make for your company stability and reputation.
I agree. I get daily emails from these folks and I don't trust them. I ended up doing heavy duty reading and slowly updating web site. I had been recommended MOZ and so far they have very solid reviews and very affordable plans that help to optimize the web site, they don't do it, it's just a tool. I will post in a bit to update. I also turned back on my adwords, so will see. I see that traffic and my positioning with google my business is improving.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #15
New Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
not all people in the Philippines do bot's spam, just got to find the right person that will do white hat seo, it can be a kid in his 17 doing great seo stuff, and pay him/her good money if they are bringing results.
a lot of my friends hire VA from the Philippines and most of them work very hard some are honest some are not, just like here in the usa there are seo companies that are honest and some that are not.

just my 2 cents.

1313 Brittany Lane
Arlington, TX 76013
972-217-2527
http://www.yourneighborhoodpestcontrol.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to BestPestControl For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-05-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #16

Quote:
not all people in the Philippines do bot's spam, just got to find the right person that will do white hat seo, it can be a kid in his 17 doing great seo stuff, and pay him/her good money if they are bringing results.
a lot of my friends hire VA from the Philippines and most of them work very hard some are honest some are not, just like here in the usa there are seo companies that are honest and some that are not.

just my 2 cents.

1313 Brittany Lane
Arlington, TX 76013
972-217-2527
This approach might do more harm than help.

Google penalize for some practices, so unless you do know that kid, I would not go that route.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #17
Non-conformist

Quote:
It certainly would be inaccurate to assign a stereotype to any country or people but patterns do emerge and facts are facts. Of course you'll find honest and hard working people in any country. My response to your suggestion is exactly as stated. The odds are against you and I also used the word usually. Any time something is cheap, there's a reason for it and it rarely works in your favor.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 AM   #18
New Guy

Just because something is cheap doesn't mean my odds are against me, also seo companies that charge 5k or more doesn't mean I'm guarantee results.

1313 Brittany Lane
Arlington, TX 76013
972-217-2527
Old 07-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Just because something is cheap doesn't mean my odds are against me, also seo companies that charge 5k or more doesn't mean I'm guarantee results.

1313 Brittany Lane
Arlington, TX 76013
972-217-2527
Completely agree, this is why I am doing it myself as I tried outsourcing the web site and i didn't get results that I wanted.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #20
Non-conformist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmpremod View Post
Completely agree, this is why I am doing it myself as I tried outsourcing the web site and i didn't get results that I wanted.
Unless you're skilled at photo editing and know your theme specs for standardizing the images, I suggest at least outsourcing an image optimization. It probably won't show for you since your browser will "cache" the pages, but you have a serious lag in page load time. Some of the photos I checked were over a MB in file size. Generally speaking, they should range from 10k or less up to maybe 50k for "normal" size images and 100 to 200k is allowable for "large" images used sparingly.

As for the rest of the recent discussion here, price is very relative. SEO is only one piece of a much larger puzzle. The value of each piece of the puzzle is mostly determined one of two ways: the right way and the wrong way—the success minded way and the failure minded way.

Saying it this way may get some interesting responses here since skill for being a contractor and skill for running a business do not automatically coexist. You either have to hire a skilled pro for your weak areas or develop the skill but you must have the pieces assembled or face a perpetual cycle of spinning your wheels.

The correct way to determine the value of each method you use to attract business is not price. It is in a way but I can safely say most contractors get this one wrong. If you choose the DIY approach, what is your time worth? How much opportunity cost are you losing?

Let's just use a nice round number like $100/hr for illustration and use BestPest's $5k for the other part. That's 50 hours and I can pretty much guarantee you'll spend a lot more than 50 hours which means lost opportunity can sink you really fast.

That still leaves the fact that there are no guarantees but an experienced pro is a much greater chance of success than starting at zero and fumbling your way through it. Successful businesses consider the cost of failure and that puts a completely different perspective on costs. And the reason I make my points about cheap is someone who has the skill to provide a stellar presentation isn't going to be willing to provide something for nothing. Either that or they too will fail.

Advertisement