Marketing From Blogs And DIY Websites

Old 07-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #1

Trade: low voltage
Rewards Points: 75

Marketing From Blogs And DIY Websites

Has anyone ever tried marketing from blogs or DIY websites (ehow.com)? As there been any success for those that have?

The one bonus I do see from it is the ability to link your website to whatever your topic is you are discussing.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Insert title

Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Rewards Points: 2,022

Re: Marketing From Blogs And DIY Websites

DIY websites- They can work but if you figure you time hourly a lead might cost you 100 hours of posting. Another thing is some DIY forums change ownership and the new owner might not like your signature links. I had this happen a few months ago on a DIY forum. I never spammed or even posted "look at this article, or here's a picture on my site of what you are looking for". The owner deleted all of my links from my posts, a years work down the drain! I ended up deleting all of my posts so his forum was a mess, not proud and hopefully he wasn't either.

Come to find out he allowed others to post links if they paid him a fee, which reminds me that I need to report his site to Google for paid links.

As far as blogs go, they will bring you some traffic but you will need to get on blogs that have a ton of on topic traffic. Some home improvement blogs will allow you to "guest post" with a couple links if you can write a good 300-500 word article (not 100% self promoting). I let one company guest post on my green blog and it ended up bring my site an extra 1000+ visitors, not sure how many clicked on his links.

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Aluminum Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Blogging can work but the biggest thing is time commitment. If you start a blog which I say you do Jay you need to start off with 3-4 500 word articles and you need to post everyday.

I would also list your articles with ezine articles and when you write long articles place on both sites. This is the fastest way to gain viewers on your site.

With all your products you offer it could be good for you along with your web site and I would also do an e-newsletter and some podcasting. Get some video on your web and the blog because google love that stuff.

It will keep you high in the search engines and get you there pretty quick.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #4
Insert title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carport King View Post
Blogging can work but the biggest thing is time commitment. If you start a blog which I say you do Jay you need to start off with 3-4 500 word articles and you need to post everyday.

I would also list your articles with ezine articles and when you write long articles place on both sites. This is the fastest way to gain viewers on your site.

With all your products you offer it could be good for you along with your web site and I would also do an e-newsletter and some podcasting. Get some video on your web and the blog because google love that stuff.

It will keep you high in the search engines and get you there pretty quick.

I think he was talking about other peoples blogs. Your own blogs is sort of a no brainer......static website with 2000 words or a blog that you can add words daily that the search engines love. You can post on your own blog for free while you have to hire some one to create a website or add pages to a website.

Podcasting---I'll have to look into that! Do you host it on your own site or host it somewhere else?
Old 08-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
New Guy

Trade: PHVACR Distribution
Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to jkanclerz Send a message via Skype™ to jkanclerz

Quote:
You can post on your own blog for free while you have to hire some one to create a website or add pages to a website.
You'd only need someone to to update your website if it's static, and you don't know HTML or have an HTML editor like Dreamweaver. If you hire a web developer to set up a content management system (CMS), you have the ability to update and add pages yourself without having to know the technical stuff. If you know how to use Microsoft Word, you can edit a CMS.

Some CMS's to consider are Joomla which is FREE, or ExpressionEngine which is $99 for the right to use the program but it's really simple to use. Plus, using EE you don't have to worry so much about security updates as you would with Joomla.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:39 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 150

I found wordpress to be numero uno!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #7
Insert title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGSProperties View Post
I found wordpress to be numero uno!
I'll second that! With Wordpress you can pick from 100's if not 1000's of free "themes" (the look of the site) and with a few plug-ins your site is up and running within a few minutes.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:20 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler, Roofing Expert and Coach
Rewards Points: 75

Blogging can lead to greater exposure for your website ranking. I have recently used a Search Engine Optimization Tool from Hubspot and it has lead to a better rank for my site on Google. If you can generate good content that compels people to link to your site, that will also help with ranking on Google.

mark the coach
Old 08-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: windows and siding
Rewards Points: 150

We use our blog to write keyword rich articles,that help in SEO.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
The Fence Post

Trade: Fence Contractor
Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to thefencepost

I have found Wordpress to be awesome! Had my site professionally designed, but I manage it myself. To me, blogging is what separates me from my competition and of course the built in SEO is what originally attracted me to it to begin with. The downside, is it can be a huge time hogger! It has been the deciding factor for many of my customers recently, as it establishes your "expertise" in your field.

Good Luck

Advertisement