Instagram Question... - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Instagram Question...

Old 02-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

Trade: Commercial Roofing
Rewards Points: 122

Instagram Question...

A lot of people have recommended that I start an account with Instagram to showcase my work. I am not entirely sure how this works of if it is even a good tool to use for advertisement. Anyone have experience with it?
http://commercialroofinghoustontx.com/

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2017, 07:01 AM   #2
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

Re: Instagram Question...

it really can help.. quite a few ig users are contractors using it to market themself.. several of the current batch of guys contributing to finehombuilding are on there and have over 15k followers... nick from ns builders has like 45k

the key is to follow other builders asap and post regularly with lots of hatchtags #roofing. #construction etc

Advertisement

prcroofing (02-16-2017), Sir Mixalot (02-15-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 11:09 AM   #3
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,261

Yes, Instagram is good for branding and marketing. You can also set up your Instagram to share your post's to your Facebook and Twitter page if you have those.

TextureMaster.com
Checkout my YouTube Channel with 20,000 Subscribers and over 5,000,000 Views
https://www.youtube.com/paulpeck

Twitter Facebook Google+ Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Mixalot For This Useful Post:
prcroofing (02-16-2017)

Old 02-15-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,016

I dont like it, I cant remember the last time someone locked eyes with me and said, "hey bro I cant find you on instagram"

lulz.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
it really can help.. quite a few ig users are contractors using it to market themself.. several of the current batch of guys contributing to finehombuilding are on there and have over 15k followers... nick from ns builders has like 45k

the key is to follow other builders asap and post regularly with lots of hatchtags #roofing. #construction etc
Thanks I will look into it more. I mean I have heard people talking about it and have read countless blog posts dealing with the topic, I just never understood it.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I dont like it, I cant remember the last time someone locked eyes with me and said, "hey bro I cant find you on instagram"

lulz.
Not going to lie, that made me laugh but isn't this how all social media is? I mean we still ask for numbers... Which I am happy about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prcroofing For This Useful Post:
JBM (02-17-2017), MOTB (01-18-2018)
Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General and Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,758

Quote:
Originally Posted by prcroofing View Post
A lot of people have recommended that I start an account with Instagram to showcase my work. I am not entirely sure how this works of if it is even a good tool to use for advertisement. Anyone have experience with it?
It certainly won't hurt and it doesn't cost anything. I try and follow local businesses and comment on their photos so other local followers see our name. I have yet to get any work from Instagram, Facebook or Twitter but they do show up on searches so I will keep them going. I still get most of our business from referrals...
Old 02-17-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post

lulz.
talk to canningcustoms... he was recognized in his local staples store about a month ago from instagram... mind you he just broke past 16,000 followers on there and hes getting close to landing a deal doing some stuff on framing for fine homebuilding,, not to mention he does tool reviews on instagram via hitachi, bosch, dewalt along with writing for toolboxbuzz.com
Old 02-17-2017, 05:21 PM   #9
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 528

Instagram is all about photos and therefore an amazing opportunity to showcase your work. Get in the habit of making a lot of photos every day, use filters you have on Instagram when posting your photos... but don't go overboard. Use relevant hashtags (do a research, you need hashtags that are relevant to your business) and keep in mind that Instagram loves hashtags and there isn't anything like "too many hashtags" there. You can follow other businesses and people, comment and like their photos. You can also @mention people and let them know you shared their photo or showcased the work they did for you. Instagram is a pure enjoyment and an excellent promotion tool once you get the hang of it.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:59 AM   #10

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 22

I say go for it!

The great thing about the age of social media is free advertising. You don't have to pay anything to make an Instagram account and tons of people are on it. They say that Instagram is more filtered compared to Facebook too. My two cents is that the more ways you can get your name out there, the better. Even if you don't have tons of followers and comments, at least potential clients will be able to find more links to your business.

Also, you can post photos of the work you've done and is also a chance to connect with fellow business owners. It also has that new Instagram stories feature; you can show your followers real time updates on what projects you're working on at the moment.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Custom
Rewards Points: 28,582

Quote:
By a lot of people, do you mean fellow contractors who say they actually make money from it?

You have a LIMITED amount of time every year for acquiring business versus fulfillment, just be sure whatever you do get involved with is sustainable as a business practice and has a measurable ROI...

Otherwise, it's just confusing activity with accomplishment IMHO...

Last edited by KAP; 02-22-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #12

Trade: Apparatus Contractor Services
Rewards Points: 232

Instagram could be a great way to advertise if you are (or want to be) in the habit of taking before and after photos and building a visual work portfolio (which you should be doing anyway for your website). You can also streamline your marketing efforts by posting the same content you have on Facebook to Instagram, and tweaking for hashtag purposes. It's fast and easy.

My approach to marketing is to spread consistently. If you can spend two minutes every few days adding a photo to IG, you'll build a great portfolio. You never know who is looking and the more content you have, the more people will look. You could see some leads come through over time. I think spending those few minutes would be a reasonable CPA if you got a job through it.

Best of luck!

Erin
Old 09-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #13
I like Green things

Trade: Architectural Mill Work
Rewards Points: 4,178

Instagram has worked great for the machinery side of things.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 PM   #14

Trade: Service Provider
Rewards Points: 8

It does help it shows people what you can do. remember that old saying a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #15
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,576

A little bit of a quiet thread but I wanted to post here since I recently found IG and am immediately sold. It's connected me and subs, and me and clients already. And it's so little work. It's much more my style than FB. No political BS, no arguments (generally), just pictures of your work. It seems to do a good job connecting you with local people too.

Now to actually post some content on my account.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:32 PM   #16
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
A little bit of a quiet thread but I wanted to post here since I recently found IG and am immediately sold. It's connected me and subs, and me and clients already. And it's so little work. It's much more my style than FB. No political BS, no arguments (generally), just pictures of your work. It seems to do a good job connecting you with local people too.

Now to actually post some content on my account.
You on there as Golden View?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
Old 01-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #17
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
You on there as Golden View?

Check my profile
Old 01-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #18
Hack

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden view View Post
Check my profile
Sorry man, can't see an IG username on Tapatalk.
I'm on there as division_b_kamloops.

Charging tree fiddy per lineal BOB
Old 01-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #19
edward trowelhands

Quote:
Originally Posted by asevereid View Post
Sorry man, can't see an IG username on Tapatalk.
I'm on there as division_b_kamloops.

portlandremodels
The Following User Says Thank You to Golden view For This Useful Post:
asevereid (01-14-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 06:37 AM   #20
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,094

Quote:
Not going to lie, that made me laugh but isn't this how all social media is? I mean we still ask for numbers... Which I am happy about.
Not really since there are so many ways to classify social media (Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, Twitter, etc.).

I like the previous comment of having your accounts linked.

But from all my experiences the vast majority of my clients leads and sales are coming from Facebook and YouTube. That may be different for the services you provide, but try to focus your attention on the majority of real opportunities and then link your primary accounts to secondary alternatives so at least you generate some activity.

Just keep in mind your available time and what you are looking to achieve so that you do not mistaking spread yourself too thin. Good luck.

Advertisement