How We Finally Kicked Google's Butt.....

Old 04-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #1

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 4

How We Finally Kicked Google's Butt.....

Hi Everyone,

My Name is Mike Mulligan and I'm new here and the proud owner of Complete Structure Painting in Plantation, Florida. We have been at the same location for over 30 years and it's my wife, son, sister and family running the operation. You get the picture.

But this is not about painting. It's about something I wanted to share with my fellow business owners who may have made the same mistake I made or are simply avoiding a key element of running a successful business today; ranking in Google.

I tried over and over to get someone to help me rank in the search engines; primarily Google. I finally got introduced to someone who is extremely knowledgeable and who was willing to sit down with me and explain, in plain English, how rankings work.

No, we had gone through numerous phonies and spent a small fortune. They all promised the moon, took my checks, and never delivered. I was done with that and am writing today to share what finally worked and how other business owner can take this recipe and find the right PROFESSIONAL to help them put it into action.

I'm a painter. That's what I know. In fact, I'm an expert, so it goes without saying that you need to find an expert at search engines to help rank your website. This industry is extremely saturated with people who read an article online or watch a YouTube video and think they're the expert. That is why, when I FIRST met with our new guy, I asked him to show me proof of what he had done for other clients INCLUDING his owne website. If an SEO "expert" cannot show you how he ranked his own website at the top of page one on Google in his/her won city, run. Run away....fast.

All that being said, he showed us how he ranked his own website at the top of Google for "SEO + his City" (population 175,000) and how he has done the same for other clients. You have to believe that if someone is willing to show you successful case studies and proof that they can rank their own site and have followed that up with client sites, that they are legitimate. Our guy was.

But this is not about us. This is about my sharing the process that he shared with me and giving you other business owner some knowledge and a leg up when talking to these guys. Just like in any industry, their are good and bad eggs. Your job is to find the right egg.

Here is the "recipe" he provided to us that helped us finally get out of the basement in Google SERP's (search engine results pages) and go from the "bad neighborhood" to the "good neighborhood. You can take a look for yourself by typing in "painter Plantation, Florida" in Google. The latest we saw, [Link removed by moderator] was #1 in the "Snack pack" which is the top 3 listed right under the advertisement and above the organic search results (see I've learned a lot) and is driven by reviews, citations, your address on your website, correct name address phone number throughout the internet, etc. We should also be #3 in the organic result which are driven directly by SEO on our website.

These rankings change from day to day but we are solidly on page 1 after many tries with different SEO "experts". Here is the steps he followed and the same one he uses for all his local clients along with a brief description of each:

1) He does keyword research and uses the most searched and relevant keywords including "niche +city" on the homepage. He uses 1500-2000 words on the homepage and sets the Title Tags (the words that show up when you hover over the tap when your page is open which are very important) and he uses bold, italics and underlining of keywords related to that business and what people will be searching for.

2) He fully completes and claims a Google My Business page. Frankly, he didn't even worry about Yahoo or Bing because first, do you know anyone who uses them and two, 70% of all searches are done in Google. As part of this step he set up social sites like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Yelp and Foursquare which are important in Googles eyes.

3) He did the Top 50 citations including the 4 main aggregators in the USA. He explained that we must make sure we use the same NAP online each and every time....this means name, address and phone number without ANY deviations.

4) He completed various Social Signals which give authority to the website and provide additional "buzz" about your company, product or brand.

5) He did "Web 2.0" which frankly, I still don't understand but it was part of his paln and should be part of yours.

6) He did backlinking either from other websites that have high domain authority (DA) with Google or acquired links in a myriad of different ways.

7) He continued to find additional links each month until we were firmly planted on page one.

Now this is a quick and generic explanation from me, someone who knows very little about the subject but I now know enough to be dangerous. One thing I want to point out is that ranking locally is fairly easy but don't let your agency waste time on steps 1-3. While they are vital, the most important part of the recipe is Step #6; backlinking.

When Google sees your site getting these valuable backlinks or "votes" as my guy likes to call them, that is HUGE, and it makes all the difference.

I hope this helps some of you who might be hesitating to delve into this world because you don't understand the steps. Now you do.

God bless,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
How we finally kicked Google's butt.....-capture.jpg  

Last edited by Tinstaafl; 04-15-2017 at 05:48 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,406

Re: How We Finally Kicked Google's Butt.....

Sounds like what ive been doing for 4 or 5 years. The web 2.0's can be very useful if you nurture them.

Your 2.0's can have 2.0's also. And that opens up your options as well.

Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 1,264

Your assertion that no one uses Bing is plain wrong.

While I will agree with you that Google holds a large market share so does Microsoft.

Think about which browser comes pre-installed on every Microsoft operating system, internet explorer (or edge if you are on win 0)

What is the default search engine in Internet explorer? Bing.

So simply avoiding Bing you are potentially missing tons of search hits.

At a minimum I would setup the Bing my places and submit my sitemap to them

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SectorSecurity For This Useful Post:
PainterMike (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,068

Hi Mike,

I give you (or your web guy) some credit on how you formatted your 1st post to get an inbound link too ...

Good luck!

From a Coral Springs marketing guy.

PS. For those who may not know, my town is a skip from the OP's town.
Old 04-14-2017, 06:16 PM   #5

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 4

Thank you and you're right.

But we just wanted to target the map pack and page 1 via Google first since we've had little to no success for years . I know we have a Bing Local page and as time passes we will expand into Bing and add more citations, etc.

Mike
Old 04-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,406

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
Hi Mike,

I give you (or your web guy) some credit on how you formatted your 1st post to get an inbound link too ...

Good luck!

From a Coral Springs marketing guy.

PS. For those who may not know, my town is a skip from the OP's town.
His seo company has a weebly website, is he flaunting his skill by using weebly lol. I dunno, that shows something if he is ranking for seo ft. lauderdale with weebly lol.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:38 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 530

The business owner didn't write any of that... If he did he was coached.

1. Domains by proxy as the domain registrar. (fishy for a commercial biz)
2. Same style rank and rent weebly site as the dozens of other posters who've been here the last few months with the same story. Remember how PeteE got to the top of Google? Same deal, almost the same site.

For a little harder evidence just check out his Google reviews... The review from "Catie Morris" who reviews Tree Companies, Roofing Companies, Wedding Planners etc.. ALL over the country ties him right into the same group of spammers.

Look at the reviews from "Jordan Brandt" the same affinity for Tree Companies, Roofers, Tow Companies and Painters, lol.. "Quentin Craft" same deal... No need to look further.

Just another spammy Google profile to report in the Google My Business forums.

These are super easy to spot now guys... Don't fall for this.

Good Luck Out There!
Old 04-15-2017, 11:20 AM   #8
Geometrist

Trade: framing/remodeling
Rewards Points: 655

Thread closed.

Mike, you can message me if you want to try to make your case, but I think we both know what your intent is here.

Advertisement

Easy Gibson
The Following User Says Thank You to Warren For This Useful Post:
NJ Contractor (04-15-2017)