How To Get Your First Job?

Old 11-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #1

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 18

How To Get Your First Job?

A close friend and I just started a general contracting company. We are in a new city (Dallas) without any connections. We?ve only been fully active for about 3 days now (website, phone, insurance, llc setup, bank acct etc etc), so maybe I?m getting ahead of myself. But I?m just wondering how you guys went about finding your first few jobs/projects? I?ve been in the industry for 10 years, and I?m super eager to do great work for our clients, which I then hope will turn into referrals. But until then, how did you guys get your first few jobs/projects?

I made a contact with someone at a property management firm that said they might be able to get us some work on their apartments. I?ve sent emails out to people I know who might have some connections in Dallas. I?ve reached out to some alumni associations here as well. Maybe I?m not doing something to market our business that is obvious to the rest of you who are more experienced?

Should I sign up for home advisor? We aren?t convinced yet, especially with having to shell out approx $100-$150 per lead + $400 for the yearly marketing fee.

Do direct mailers work?

Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks guys.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 2,848

Re: How To Get Your First Job?

Post to craigslist till your site ranks.

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 02:54 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Estimator
Rewards Points: 802

Make a Facebook account, ad yourself all the local Buy/sell/trade, exchange, and yardsale groups and post an ad for your company in there. You'll have your first estimate appointments to go on within a couple hours if you type up a good ad.

I close a couple new jobs a month just by posting in the groups. Thats how you can get jobs NOW but if you want to scale your going to need to get a lead funnel set up and a sales process to effectively close the estimates appointments you go on.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #4

Trade: general

Wow, i would have never thought about facebook groups. I am going to try that right now!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: GC PM
Rewards Points: 148

Facebook groups are easily half my leads. The best part is that my previous customers from the group's all comment with a brief testimonial on my replies of people looking for a contractor.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2017, 02:27 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Estimator
Rewards Points: 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhook View Post
Wow, i would have never thought about facebook groups. I am going to try that right now!
Let me know how it goes or if you need help creating a compelling post.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:03 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 372

Facebook works for marketing. The problem is you won't have anything in a portfolio to show off.

I get a call a week based on just having my business page and posting current pictures of jobs and projects I manage.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 11-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
Punching above his weight

Trade: What do you need?
Rewards Points: 3,580

SirMixALot has a great facebook thread that talks about this.
Internet stuff is cool because you can do it after dark. You can lookup local business and make friend requests and leave comments in the evening so it doesn't cut hours out of your day which should theoretically be spent working.

If I were you, I'd also be out in your desired work area in places where people meet. Get out there and talk to people. Word of mouth is everything.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:25 PM   #9

Trade: Right Now - www.rightnowcleaning.com
Rewards Points: 28

social media is great for marketing, you already have a website so put the link there... Facebook, Instagram...
Old 11-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 1,014

Make sure you take care of your local search citations. Those tend to rank quickly and having a complete profile will make a dramatic increase in calls and clickthroughs on Google searches. Brightlocal is the easiest way to do it now, IMO. It's pretty cheap too.
The Following User Says Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
HomeArt (Yesterday)
Old 11-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Executor of special operations
Rewards Points: 626

Thumbtack is good in DFW. Seems Plano-frisco-north Dallas likes thumbtack, decent leads and good pricing to contractor. Area is where you want to be, especailly starting out.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #12

Trade: painting & flooring
Rewards Points: 120

You might have to buy your first job just to get a reputation rolling with some clients. But hopefully, the clients will turn into long term clients.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM   #13
Kitchen Cabinets and Tile

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets, Countertops, Tile

This is true regarding citations. We were doing blog posts before we took care of the local citation sites. The truth is, citation sites rank you faster and they are much easier and cheaper to do. You can even find some that are free. After you take care of your local citations, you can go for US top 10 for example. You just need to do a research, see how they rank, and decide which ones you need.
Old Today, 07:25 AM   #14

Trade: general contractor

Home Advisor is a great way to get started. It shows people looking you are licensed and insured and have a back ground check. There is a learning curve. I started with them and still keep them. If you have good reviews you will always have work. Some small and some large. Once you get off the ground you can get into web pages and design. Good luck.

Advertisement