How To Get Mailout Addresses

Old 05-22-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 150

How To Get Mailout Addresses

I'm sure there is a really simple answer, but I've never done this. When doing a neighborhood mailout, how do you obtain all the addresses and names? I just started a large remodel and want to do a mailout to the surrounding blocks to let neighbors know they can talk to me with any concerns, ie: trash, parking, loud radios. This mailout I am hoping will double as advertisement. Thanks, Chris

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #2

Trade: Low Pressure Roof Cleaning
Rewards Points: 25

Re: How To Get Mailout Addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rez View Post
I'm sure there is a really simple answer, but I've never done this. When doing a neighborhood mailout, how do you obtain all the addresses and names? I just started a large remodel and want to do a mailout to the surrounding blocks to let neighbors know they can talk to me with any concerns, ie: trash, parking, loud radios. This mailout I am hoping will double as advertisement. Thanks, Chris
You can try whitepages.com

Old 05-22-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: seamless gutters
Rewards Points: 500

infousa.com or better smartleads.com
Old 05-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Lead Generation for Home Remodeling Companies
Send a message via Yahoo to wpc07834

Be sure to check this site too http://quantumdigital.com/directmail?r=1
Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Squirrel Handler
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgutters View Post
infousa.com or better smartleads.com
I've used Info USA, it's available for free at many public libraries, you can save the files to CSV, that can be opened and sorted in excel (sort by zip code for example) and "mail merged" to print labels. Some libraries will let you access the Info USA database from home, through a link on their website, using your library card number.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:06 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Cleaner View Post
You can try whitepages.com
How do I use the White Pages to find the addresses of HOs in a certain neighborhood?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: seamless gutters

superpages has an option to do it. but really some of the services like smartleads can do it cheaper and easier than u can.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,208

ask your county if they have an online property database. If so, you may be able to do a search based on certain criteria, such as a subdivision search.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rez View Post
How do I use the White Pages to find the addresses of HOs in a certain neighborhood?

Just do a reverse search of a address you want to target. When it pops up hit the link where it says "find neighbors"
Old 05-22-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Remodeling Professionals

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

I used http://www.geoselector.com/ for my lists. You can draw the boundaries on a map and they send you the addresses within those boundaries. You can also narrow your results demographically.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Roofing Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,010

Thanks for another link.

Ed
Old 05-23-2008, 08:30 AM   #12
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,054
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason Whipple

We're working with these folks right now http://www.melissadata.com/lists.html. We are picking out the zip codes and have set a minimum annual household income of 80k so we can be sure we aren't advertising to people who can't afford us. We are also getting only home owners who have lived at the house at least 5 years and no more than 20 years.

They can narrow the list down to just about anything you want. I could even get a list with houses that are 100 years + if I wanted to.

$150 for 1000 names. They told me the minimum was $350, but they agreed to go the $150 for me so I could look things over and get my feet wet (first timer with mailers here).

Last edited by Jason Whipple; 05-23-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Thanks for another link.

Ed
LOL, the link juice is runnin' dry...
Old 05-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #14
Pro

Hey, thanks so much guys for the ideas! -Chris
Old 05-29-2008, 02:24 PM   #15
Mr. Hunt

Trade: remodels

I used infousa and I would say 25% of their addresses came back. I don't think that they keep their database updated.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #16
Starving Tile Artist

Trade: Carpentry, Flooring & (UGLY) Tile installs.
Send a message via Yahoo to wizendwizard

As stated above, I just go to whitepages.com, enter the address i'm working at or one that I see that interest me and fill in a few specs. It'll then spit out all the info names, addresses, phone numbers, household income info. The great part about doing it this way.... the list cost NOTHING.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizendwizard View Post
As stated above, I just go to whitepages.com, enter the address i'm working at or one that I see that interest me and fill in a few specs. It'll then spit out all the info names, addresses, phone numbers, household income info. The great part about doing it this way.... the list cost NOTHING.
That got my attention, yes, it gives you neighbors names, address, listed phone numbers and general demographics for the town, but no specific demographic info per resident.

You don't know if it's a tennant who makes 20K/year, or if it's an owner who makes 7 figures.
The idea behind lead companies is they can give you targeted residences based on income, new owners, old homeowners...etc.
For the cost of mailing, it could be pretty expensive if you wind up mailing to what looks like an affluent area, all to find out your mailing to 75% rentals and the demograph is based on the landlords.

It's definitely useful if you want mailing addresses in a certain street, town or area...but as far as getting a leads list based on demograph, it's the same as the basic white pages...from what I could see.

If I missed something feel free to correct me, that would be a valuable tool.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #18
Starving Tile Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyplumber View Post
That got my attention, yes, it gives you neighbors names, address, listed phone numbers and general demographics for the town, but no specific demographic info per resident.

You don't know if it's a tennant who makes 20K/year, or if it's an owner who makes 7 figures.
The idea behind lead companies is they can give you targeted residences based on income, new owners, old homeowners...etc.
For the cost of mailing, it could be pretty expensive if you wind up mailing to what looks like an affluent area, all to find out your mailing to 75% rentals and the demograph is based on the landlords.

It's definitely useful if you want mailing addresses in a certain street, town or area...but as far as getting a leads list based on demograph, it's the same as the basic white pages...from what I could see.

If I missed something feel free to correct me, that would be a valuable tool.
You are correct. You have to use a pay site for addresses by monetary income demographics.

Although, in my case I know the area's I go into and also will do work for renters IF and I stress IF they have written HO waiver.

Another good outlook on it is this. If Im sending out mailers to homes that have renters, it's really not a big deal. $350 for 1 mailing and if I get 1 job off of that mailing with $8000 profit. I still made out.

People should stop worrying about wasting $100 if they get a free chance at $10,000 profit.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizendwizard View Post
You are correct. You have to use a pay site for addresses by monetary income demographics.

Although, in my case I know the area's I go into and also will do work for renters IF and I stress IF they have written HO waiver.

Another good outlook on it is this. If Im sending out mailers to homes that have renters, it's really not a big deal. $350 for 1 mailing and if I get 1 job off of that mailing with $8000 profit. I still made out.

People should stop worrying about wasting $100 if they get a free chance at $10,000 profit.
Good point...I tend to be a little scrutinizing on the ad budget by habit, so many dead ends out there.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #20
Starving Tile Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpyplumber View Post
Good point...I tend to be a little scrutinizing on the ad budget by habit, so many dead ends out there.
I think we all do!

In this new age of everything being done by computer, How do we stand a chance at advertizing in the right places?

It used to be all you had to do was put some decent signs on your truck and run your number in the yellow pages. Not anymore. Heck people don't even read the newspaper anymore from what I'm seeing. Just ran a business card sized ad in local newspaper for 6 weeks. Haven't had 1 call off of it.

I run an ad on CL in 2 different states twice a week and get all new estimate calls are coming from there. Where is everyone from my area looking for contractors? No idea!

The answer is out here somewhere and I will spend dollar after dime to find out where they are. Mailings are becoming my next big step along with borrowing every email addy I can from bid clerk for an email campaign.