How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
Pro
 
Publisher1's Avatar
 
Trade: Construction News Service
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 285
Rewards Points: 252

How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


One of my readers has asked this question: "We have a home show coming up..any tips on maximizing this?" I checked back through the threads here and didn't see anyone recently ask or answer this question.

I've read the usual stuff about show effectiveness, but this has been focused on either does the show work or not, or methods of increasing results at business to business shows. Could you share your top three tips to maximizing results/revenue/value from your home show participation?
Publisher1 is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 10-21-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
It's all about the Avatar
 
woodmagman's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,814
Rewards Points: 1,016

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


Be prepared, have a back up plan if staffing the show. Get on the leads right away. Be clear about your market and be clear about what you are marketing…

Advertisement

woodmagman is offline  
Old 10-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #3
Certified Remodeler
 
silvertree's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Oaks,MN
Posts: 3,207
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


1. Have something of interest to make people look. Example; a stick frame home in miniature for a builder, a block of gypsum for a drywall company, a sculpture made of concrete for a concrete guy ect. Something new!
2. Make your booth from materials you use, but use them differently. I made a 10' display from maple veneered hollow core doors. Everyone one else used fabric backgrounds.
3. Get a women to work the show with you, the buyers are mostly women.
silvertree is offline  
Old 10-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
It's all about the Avatar
 
woodmagman's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,814
Rewards Points: 1,016

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


I like you last one Silvertree, the buyers are the wifes but the ones you need to stand and pretend to listen are the guys, so the prettier the better...that way you can talk to the buyers and occuppy the guys. Same with kids, kids can be tamed by any pretty lady, while mom breaks the bank.
woodmagman is offline  
Old 10-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Pro
 
pcplumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,247
Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


This is how you steal the entire show and get everyone to come, to your booth, from one to five times.

First, if you are going to spend the time and money, to do a Home Show, don't do a sloppy job and come back complaining that the traffic was slow and the customers were lousy. Do it right and take the credit.

When we set up a booth, for a three day show (really two because Friday's are set-up days and don't count) we need five employees to man our booth. All our competitors turn green when they see the traffic we attract.

This is how we do it. We buy a 10 inch by 6 foot Acrylic tube. We place the tube on a table and fill it to the top with candy. We usually buy about $500 worth of Jolly Ranch candies and we buy about $300 worth of Mickey Mouse lollipops. Every year, we buy about 300,000 very nice ink pens from China for about 6 cents each. We buy about 300,000 5" x 7" magnetic calendars, that are beautiful, for about 8 cents each.

Now, here is the gimmick. People fight in line to get the Mickey Mouse lollipops, they get their hand stuck, inside the tube, trying to get them, and guess what happens? Many people keep coming back to the booth, several times, for more goodies.

We place the lollipops, ink pens, and calendars on the table. Everyone comes to our booth from 1 to 5 times. No lie. Look at the picture of our booth in the link.

The Acrylic tube cost about $400. We cut a U-shaped hole at the bottom to retrieve the candy. The $1200 we spend is peanut compared to the return on our investment. We have sold as much as $240,000 in just a two day show and people remember us for years because of the lollipops.

At our next show, we are going to add helium baloons.

See the picture of our show in the link.

http://www.bestlineplumbing.com/HomeShow.htm

Of course, you need a few clip boards your prospects can fill out. Have several clip boards and pens on the table because people write slow and they will clog the booth. The forms should ask their name, address, phone, what type of service they are interested in, and a time to contact them.

We always offer a Home Show Special of 10%. Advertise as many prices as you can. If you have average prices, write them on brochures. People love prices.

I'll tell you one more trick that attracts people. If you use the candy tube, you will not need this trick. If you don't, then this one works great. Get someone to stand on the outside of your booth and pretend that they are talking to you. This attracts customers every time. I showed this to many other vendors and they were amazed.

Here is one more trick. We had a magician come to our booth to do tricks. At times, the people were 20 deep.

One last thing; look at the age of the people at the booth. These are not children. These are the 'Money People'.

Last edited by pcplumber; 10-21-2008 at 10:17 PM.
pcplumber is offline  
Old 10-21-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
Keeping the Faith
 
BuilderOne's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Improvements
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 63
Rewards Points: 75

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pcplumber View Post
This is how you steal the entire show and get everyone to come, to your booth, from one to five times.

First, if you are going to spend the time and money, to do a Home Show, don't do a sloppy job and come back complaining that the traffic was slow and the customers were lousy. Do it right and take the credit.

When we set up a booth, for a three day show (really two because Friday's are set-up days and don't count) we need five employees to man our booth. All our competitors turn green when they see the traffic we attract.

This is how we do it. We buy a 10 inch by 6 foot Acrylic tube. We place the tube on a table and fill it to the top with candy. We usually buy about $500 worth of Jolly Ranch candies and we buy about $300 worth of Mickey Mouse lollipops. Every year, we buy about 300,000 very nice ink pens from China for about 6 cents each. We buy about 300,000 5" x 7" magnetic calendars, that are beautiful, for about 8 cents each.

Now, here is the gimmick. People fight in line to get the Mickey Mouse lollipops, they get their hand stuck, inside the tube, trying to get them, and guess what happens? Many people keep coming back to the booth, several times, for more goodies.

We place the lollipops, ink pens, and calendars on the table. Everyone comes to our booth from 1 to 5 times. No lie. Look at the picture of our booth in the link.

The Acrylic tube cost about $400. We cut a U-shaped hole at the bottom to retrieve the candy. The $1200 we spend is peanut compared to the return on our investment. We have sold as much as $240,000 in just a two day show and people remember us for years because of the lollipops.

At our next show, we are going to add helium baloons.

See the picture of our show in the link.

http://www.bestlineplumbing.com/HomeShow.htm

Of course, you need a few clip boards your prospects can fill out. Have several clip boards and pens on the table because people write slow and they will clog the booth. The forms should ask their name, address, phone, what type of service they are interested in, and a time to contact them.

We always offer a Home Show Special of 10%. Advertise as many prices as you can. If you have average prices, write them on brochures. People love prices.

I'll tell you one more trick that attracts people. If you use the candy tube, you will not need this trick. If you don't, then this one works great. Get someone to stand on the outside of your booth and pretend that they are talking to you. This attracts customers every time. I showed this to many other vendors and they were amazed.

Here is one more trick. We had a magician come to our booth to do tricks. At times, the people were 20 deep.

One last thing; look at the age of the people at the booth. These are not children. These are the 'Money People'.
Trade Shows Are Not A Waste!

According to the Center for Exhibition Industry Research (the trade association for trade shows), industry spends more than $60 billion annually on trade show participation, more than the expenditures for magazines, radio and outdoor billboards combined! And, trade shows are more cost-effective than direct selling when it comes to reaching new customers.

But, despite the abundance of opportunities that trade shows provide, many executives complain that their trade show expenditures offer little return for the investment of money and time. Here are several reasons why companies fail to get the most from their trade show investment:

Lack Of Clear Goals And Objectives: Perhaps the single biggest reason for trade show failure is the lack of clear goals and objectives supporting the decision to exhibit. More often than not, the only justification that most executives can offer for their participation in a given show is "because our competition is there" or "people will wonder if we've gone out of business if we're not there." Those are pretty flimsy reasons for investments that routinely top $10,000 per show.

Exhibiting For The Wrong Reasons: Likewise, companies often have inappropriate or unrealistic expectations about what they can achieve by exhibiting at a trade show. Generally speaking, trade shows are not the most effective venues for orchestrating highly complex selling efforts, conducting formal market research or spending quality time with key accounts. On the other hand, trade shows are a great place to identify prospective customers, introduce new products, conduct informal market research or scope out new market opportunities.

Missing Unique Aspects Of Each Show: If you've been to more than one trade show in your life, you know that each one has a unique "personality" that differentiates it from other shows. That personality can be reflected in the type of people who attend the show, the kinds of companies that typically exhibit or the presence or absence of a technical program. But, unless that unique characteristic matches with your primary reasons for exhibiting, you'll be wasting your time.

Seeing Trade Show Marketing As Simple: Trade show marketing is more than just shipping the booth and showing up. It requires a carefully orchestrated plan to make the most of the opportunity to get in front of prospective customers. That can mean a direct mail campaign in advance of the show, pre-scheduled appointments with important prospects or the careful development of your in-booth presentation.

Failure To Adequately Train Trade Show Staff: Nothing represents a company more poorly than booth staff that hasn't got a clue about the business objectives behind the company's decision to exhibit. The execution of an effective trade show strategy lies entirely with the people who are manning your booth. If you haven't properly trained them before hand, you're jeopardizing your entire trade show investment.

No Follow-Up On Trade Show Leads: Finally, after all of the investment made in planning and executing a trade show game plan, most companies fall down by failing to plan for immediate and consistent follow-up with customer leads generated at the show. Unfortunately, your competitors who flawlessly execute their own trade show follow-up plan will get the business.

So make your investment in trade shows really pay off by carefully planning your trade show participation. That way, you'll get the best return for your time and money, and maybe even have some fun in the process.
BuilderOne is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Pro
 
Shellbuilder's Avatar
 
Trade: Shell building contractor
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Va. Beach, Va.
Posts: 1,098
Rewards Points: 1,236

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


I like the candy tube however the people manning this booth could be dressed. I've done home shows for years and would never allow staff to dress like this. Is that guy wearing a t shirt over a t shirt?
__________________
www.shelladditions.com
Shellbuilder is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
Sean
 
SLSTech's Avatar
 
Trade: Principal / Owner
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 5,264
Rewards Points: 282

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


I would ask you this question - the last trade show you were at, what did you like, what didn't you like? What made you stop at certain booths & not others?

What are your goals & what image do you want to present?

I will tell you some of my pet peeves
Stashing info out of reach especially when you only have 1 or 2 people at a table already talking.
Not allowing for room inside the booth for talking - instead everyone is in the aisle
Not bringing any info
We will send you info - scan badge - no info ever received
Not practicing with scanners before hand
You must fill out a card, instead of being able to drop a card
Not being able to see what a company does - 1 or 2 pictures & a name - 2 people sitting behind a table looking bored to death
__________________
SLS Construction & Building Solutions LLC Our Blog - The HTRC
SLSTech is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
Member
 
NC2X4's Avatar
 
Trade: Residential Home Design/Custom Home Building
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Morganton, NC
Posts: 50
Rewards Points: 25

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher1 View Post
One of my readers has asked this question: "We have a home show coming up..any tips on maximizing this?" I checked back through the threads here and didn't see anyone recently ask or answer this question.

I've read the usual stuff about show effectiveness, but this has been focused on either does the show work or not, or methods of increasing results at business to business shows. Could you share your top three tips to maximizing results/revenue/value from your home show participation?
There are some really great ideas here. We do many shows, in fact we are doing the IBS for the first time in Vegas in Jan. I feel a little intimidated about Vegas however I'm going.

I think all the Ideas thrown out here are really good. You want people to remember you. The bags, magnets and hand outs are good ideas however getting the clients information is usually the best and hardest thing. Having a give away to sign up for helps. I would rather good qualified leads in stead of alot of misdirected traffice due to some crazy stunt at the booth. If I could give any advise at all it's this.

1) Plan ahead by picking your spot early. Find a good area close to others that compliment your business. I like corner spots however you have to design your booth in a way that welcomes partons to want to step in.

2) Put in play something that requires your potential clients to give you thier information. We give away one free house plan for anyone that signs up. I have a sign on the table however I only tell qualified clients to fill out the form after I have qualified them as a potential client.

3) Design your booth with a simple and easy to read message. clients don't have time to proccess a bunch of signs, bullet points and flashy stuff. If you do additions simply make a banner saying " We do additions" Then when they engage you about thier project you can put into thier hand your brochure.

4) Have an elevator story. Meaning if you had 1 minute to pitch your company to someone on an elevator what would you say. If you had 5 minute to the 10th floor and 10 minute to the 40th floor what would you say. Have an elevator story ready and train your people. You don't need to be robotic about it. Everyone learns a different way. Have your staff manning the booth practice this with each other. It does not have to be identical or word for word the same. As long as you are delivering a consistant message.

5) look big, have people, dress alike (company shirts) don't drink or eat at your booth and always be professional. Have good marketing material and always follow up on all leads within one week.

6) Network with other vendors. Have a marketing piece just for them. We have alot of vendors come to us asking to spec thier product in our plans. I hand them a one page brochure on how to advertise with us and direct them to our magazine site we are building right now. Our first addition comes out in Jan.

7) follow through with your vendors to. Stay connected and interview them on other shows. Ask them where to rent a booth in certain shows.

8) Never pay for seminar time unless you have something that is an impulse item. I found these do not work and clients do not come to them and often the ones that do want free stuff.

9) Have a web page. Even if it is just a cheap splash page get one. If you do use Google analyitics (it's free) to track your hits and run a very small Google Adword campaign to target your local market. Always have your webpage put on the shows website. It's free if you sign up early enough. We are still getting hits from past show websites and converting them to sales.

10) Because I had to make it an even number. Always be closing.

I can go on and on. I have learned alot about shows latley and learning more each show along from some great tips others have given here. Everyone is different and learning from each other is the best way.

Bill Elliott
www.AvidHomeStudios.com
www.AvidHomeStore.com
www.AvidHomeMagazine.com

I welcome any contractor to ask for my help in any way at all I can help improve your business. This market is tough. We have to work 4 times as hard to get work. Don't stop, keep on trucking!
NC2X4 is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 08:07 AM   #10
Pro
 
pcplumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,247
Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbuilder View Post
I like the candy tube however the people manning this booth could be dressed. I've done home shows for years and would never allow staff to dress like this. Is that guy wearing a t shirt over a t shirt?
This is a great forum, and there are many sincere contractors, with ideas that make sense. The problem, I see, with many posts, is the ideas that seem to be practical and make sense, do not always produce the best results. I find it sad, that in most threads, contractors gloss over, and ignore the most important subject; the results and return-on-investment. You know the saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I walk around shows, and will spend 15 minutes, talking to contractors. During that time, a few customers may drop by their booth as the conrtactors ask them how their day is. The contractors usually sit in a chair because they are so bored they can't stand up, for three days, as they waive, to the people passing by. One thing I can't stand is when there is no traffic, at a vendor's booth, the vendor has a hungry look, and they stand in front of their booth, saying "hello, how are you doing today". This is too 'old school' and it raises the hair on the back of my neck, every time I have lose my focus to answer. It can be quite annoying to have to answer 300 vendors as you are trying to enjoy the day, and you are having a conversation with your companion.

You have to see the difference at my booth. You always find excitement as we are walking around the booth, laughing, telling jokes, talking to the customers, building a customer base, and taking notes. For the customers, that appear to be very desirable, we have boxes of very large cookies, under our table. We have one half eaten cookie on the table. We will offer the customer our half-eaten cookie and the customer laughs. Then we pull out a big cookie and give it to them. No customer refuses the big cookie.

We portray the image that we are 'The Game In Town'. Ironically, we don't try to sell at shows. When I say we sell about $250,000, at one show, this is the total we track for several years. We may close the sales for $100,000 in the first month. The rest trickles in through the years.

This is your most important goal you want to accomplish. Home shows are more for exposure more than they are closing sales. This is how we guarantee that we will get maximum exposure. The women at our booth know absolutely nothing about plumbing. They are instructed to speak as little as possible, because their lack of contracting experience makes an annoying conversation. We are not trying to educate, nor are we trying to impress the customer about our services, nor do we try to dazzle them with our intelligence. All we want is the exposure. We are burning and branding their brain so they remember to call.

This is how we maximize exposure and this is the women's job. We don't hand out a business card, nor a brochure. The women stand at the booth all day and they give the customers 8 x 10 envelopes filled with candy, flyers, ink pens, 5 x 7 magnet calendars, and garden hose washers.

When a customer leaves our booth, they do not forget about our company for many many years, and we don't forget these same customers. As they pass by, we hand out clip boards and we ask the customers if they would like to be on our mailing list. This is where my database (ooops!) does the work it is supposed to do. We send these customer more ink pens, calendars, letters, flyers, and washers, at least, once a year.

The answer to your question. Even I wear a clean tee shirt, and a baseball cap, when talking to customers, at home shows. There are many reasons this clothing is more productive. Customers comment that they love the idea that they are talking to the actual contractor, rather than a sales person. Customers love having the actual person from the home show arrive at their home to give the estimate. The customers better with the actual workers, feel more comfortable, and comfort generates more sales.

Yes, I though the tee shirt over the tee shirt was a little tacky. Of course, he had a reason for this. Try to imagine what was under the sleeves. At least he had enough sense to hide that. But, this guy sells over $1 million every year, by himself. So, don't let looks fool you. Lets try not to gloss over what produces the best results and sales.

One post, in this thread, seems to imply that my show is a circus. No person is ever too old to receive a gift. No person is ever too old to have a birthday party. Even old people like to have fun, eat candy, eat cookies, and my show is something people remember, and no other booth gets as much attention as mine. My booth was on the news, at least two times and I have many marketing companies stop by to ask how we came up with the ideas to attract so much business.

How do you attract the most customers? Stop trying to be like everyone else. Be different. Be you. Dress so you are comfortable. Realize that academics and what appears to be practical is not always the most productive. If you are going to work, anyways, why would you allow yourself to earn less, when you have the potential to earn more, within the sale working period.

Jack
pcplumber is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 08:30 AM   #11
Certified Remodeler
 
silvertree's Avatar
 
Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Oaks,MN
Posts: 3,207
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


A little more on shows. Next week my kitchen display truck is in a show. Its a 14' cube van with a kitchen display inside. Working lights (LED, Xenon track and halogens), a working Meile expresso machine thats built in. Cork flooring, Cambria quartz tops and 3 tile backsplash displays, plus cabinets.. Show goers will have to climb 3 steps to get into the truck.

I have signs and don't have room for anything but the truck. Its the only display of its kind. Also this is my grand opening, I sold my building this year and hope to have a fleet of these trucks. I have no Idea on how to put my best foot forward, but I will be well dressed and I plan on handing out flyers as people walk by. As nice as I can I will hand out the flyer and hope people stop to look at my truck. No candy, pencils or anything but flyers. I am selling cabinets, design or design build.
silvertree is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 03:08 PM   #12
Pro
 
Shellbuilder's Avatar
 
Trade: Shell building contractor
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Va. Beach, Va.
Posts: 1,098
Rewards Points: 1,236

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


I will respectfully disagree with nearly everything plumber has said about how he mans and acts in his booth simply for the sake of giving balance to others ready to take on this task. Don't wear t shirts, don't cut up and joke around in the booth, don't hire sale force who have something on their arms to hide, don't offer half eaten cookies to people as a joke. In fact don't offer any prepared food (unwrapped) unless you have a health certificate. In some way because the news covered your booth and you think your competitors are incompetent marketers, then your booth is the magic bullet, wrong and this is simply bad advice to others.
__________________
www.shelladditions.com
Shellbuilder is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #13
Pro
 
pcplumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,247
Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbuilder View Post
I will respectfully disagree with nearly everything plumber has said about how he mans and acts in his booth simply for the sake of giving balance to others ready to take on this task. Don't wear t shirts, don't cut up and joke around in the booth, don't hire sale force who have something on their arms to hide, don't offer half eaten cookies to people as a joke. In fact don't offer any prepared food (unwrapped) unless you have a health certificate. In some way because the news covered your booth and you think your competitors are incompetent marketers, then your booth is the magic bullet, wrong and this is simply bad advice to others.
When you can generate sales of $250,000 plus, for one show, then hopefully, members will take your advice. The cookie is a ploy. When the customer is staring at the cookie on the counter, we jokingly ask them if they want the cookie. Then we hand them a store-bought cookie that is about 6 inches. This is a great way to build a relationship with the best type of customers. There is a little psychology involved.

Going back to my previous post, my point about the cookie is; many contractors have no personality, and they stand at their booth, with an ego problem, as they watch the traffic go by. Contractors think the customers are supposed to love them because you have a pretty shirt, new truck, and they tell them how great they are.

To answer your question, I do have Magic Bullets. Anytime, any contractor thinks he can do better marketing, or sell more than I sell, I welcome the challenge, and the winner can keep all the profit. I will even go to a brand new city, and earn more money, if a few months, than most established contractors earn in an entire years. I know this because of posts I read.

I have a Poo Bear tattoo with a balloon on my arm. Some of my employees have arms filled with tattoos, of all types, and all my employees have been with me for 12 to 30 years. Tattoos have no bearing on the character, experience, nor the production of an employee.

The reason businesses thrive, like mine, is because I see beyond the customer's eyes. I see deeper into the customer's minds. I know what know more about what people want. I know how to get their attention and keep it. I know how to make their experiences great, interesting, and fun.

The greatest sales people, I ever had, knew very little about construction, but they knew a lot about people. The best sales person, I had, should have been a professional comedian. He would get the customers to laugh so much, the customers signed contracts without discussing the prices, nor the scope of the work, so-to-speak.

Joking is not my main attraction, but I am not a stuffed shirt with an ego problem. I make Home Shows fun for customers and my employees. I don't act 'hard-up' for sales, because I am not 'hard-up'. I have so much business and money, I don't know what to do with it. My business thrives even in the worse of time, and with my advertising campaigns, I alway get to decide how much work I will take, and never can't keep my 30 employees busy. My shop is like a bee-hive 365 days a year.

You made your statement because you can't do what I do. You can't see yourself joking and making $250,000. I don't care if I make any money at the show because I know the money will come naturally. I have many more advertising campaigns that are much more powerful than home shows and I haven't done a show in about 4 years.

To all members who want to sell $250,000 at a show, listen to me. For those who don't care and want to put your fate in your appearance, ego, and trade experience, listen to this guy. Let's see your bank account and we can decide who knows how to advertise and sell.

The difference between me and you; I am not writing about theory. This is how we generate $250,000 is sales, just from one home show. If you would like to see my bank statement, I will be glad to post a copy. The numbers will blow your mind, and this is what this is all about. Fun running the business and money.

At my next home show, I will be the short fat guy, surrounded by about 30 customers, with the tee shirt and baseball cap. I will be laughing, having fun, taking names, and kicking butt. But, you will NEVER EVER think that I am a salesman, like you.

I am not here to make friends. Yes, I have an attitude. But, I would rather be myself, tell you the way is is, rather that the way something thinks it should be, and just to make friends. Besides, I only want friends who have positive, forward thinking attitudes. I don't want a friend, like this person, who tells me I can't do something that I have been doing to 40 years. Who are you going to listen to; the guy who does is or the guy who tells you it can't be done, or the guy who tells you, I wouldn't hire a guy because he has tattoos on his arm. At least, he had enough common-sense to cover them.

Now I am angry and I am going to do a Home Show next month and video the show for a few hours, and I welcome you to video your show to compare the number leads generated, the fun, and the excitement.
Jack

Last edited by pcplumber; 10-25-2008 at 05:45 PM.
pcplumber is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 05:45 PM   #14
It's all about the Avatar
 
woodmagman's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,814
Rewards Points: 1,016

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pcplumber View Post
When you can generate sales of $250,000 plus, for one show, then hopefully, members will take your advice. The cookie is a ploy. When the customer is staring at the cookie on the counter, we jokingly ask them if they want the cookie. Then we hand them a store-bought cookie that is about 6 inches. This is a great way to build a relationship with the best type of customers. There is a little psychology involved.

Going back to my previous post, my point about the cookie is; many contractors have no personality, and they stand at their booth, with an ego problem, as they watch the traffic go by. Contractors think the customers are supposed to love them because you have a pretty shirt, new truck, and they tell them how great they are.

To answer your question, I do have Magic Bullets. Anytime, any contractor thinks he can do better marketing, or sell more than I sell, I welcome the challenge, and the winner can keep all the profit. I will even go to a brand new city, and earn more money, if a few months, than most established contractors earn in an entire years. I know this because of posts I read.

I have a Poo Bear tattoo with a balloon on my arm. Some of my employees have arms filled with tattoos, of all types, and all my employees have been with me for 12 to 30 years. Tattoos have no bearing on the character, experience, nor the production of an employee.

The reason businesses thrive, like mine, is because I see beyond the customer's eyes. I see deeper into the customer's minds. I know what know more about what people want. I know how to get their attention and keep it. I know how to make their experiences great, interesting, and fun.

The greatest sales people, I ever had, knew very little about construction, but they knew a lot about people. The best sales person, I had, should have been a professional comedian. He would get the customers to laugh so much, the customers signed contracts without discussing the prices, nor the scope of the work, so-to-speak.

Joking is not my main attraction, but I am not a stuffed shirt with an ego problem. I make Home Shows fun for customers and my employees. I don't act 'hard-up' for sales, because I am not 'hard-up'. I have so much business and money, I don't know what to do with it. My business thrives even in the worse of time, and with my advertising campaigns, I alway get to decide how much work I will take, and never can't keep my 30 employees busy. My shop is like a bee-hive 365 days a year.

You made your statement because you can't do what I do. You can't see yourself joking and making $250,000. I don't care if I make any money at the show because I know the money will come naturally. I have many more advertising campaigns that are much more powerful than home shows and I haven't done a show in about 4 years.

To all members who want to sell $250,000 at a show, listen to me. For those who don't care and want to put your fate in your appearance, ego, and trade experience, listen to this guy. Let's see your bank account and we can decide who knows how to advertise and sell.

The difference between me and you; I am not writing about theory. This is how we generate $250,000 is sales, just from one home show. If you would like to see my bank statement, I will be glad to post a copy. The numbers will blow your mind, and this is what this is all about. Fun running the business and money.

At my next home show, I will be the short fat guy, surrounded by about 30 customers, with the tee shirt and baseball cap. I will be laughing, having fun, taking names, and kicking butt. But, you will NEVER EVER think that I am a salesman, like you.

I am not here to make friends. Yes, I have an attitude. But, I would rather be myself, tell you the way is is, rather that the way something thinks it should be, and just to make friends. Besides, I only want friends who have positive, forward thinking attitudes. I don't want a friend, like this person, who tells me I can't do something that I have been doing to 40 years. Who are you going to listen to; the guy who does is or the guy who tells you it can't be done, or the guy who tells you, I wouldn't hire a guy because he has tattoos on his arm. At least, he had enough common-sense to cover them.

Jack
Jack, Read your post, it is about the seller and not the product, price or location. You do hold yourself in high regard! And as a salesman that is better the No Go Joe……
I get from your post that without a personality you will fail, what do you have to say to those who are all personality and have no idea what how to run a trade show properly…
woodmagman is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 07:15 PM   #15
Pro
 
Shellbuilder's Avatar
 
Trade: Shell building contractor
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Va. Beach, Va.
Posts: 1,098
Rewards Points: 1,236

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


PC,
You remind me of some guys I met at one of the first NAHB remodelers show. They were all introducing themelves as I'm so and so, 2 mill a year, 1 mil a year and it goes on. Perhaps instead of offering to send me your bank statements , you should heed experienced advice about doing home shows, My first one was 23 years ago, although I haven't been in one in 8 years, I still go to several shows a year including the IBS and the RC and our local home shows. I go to these as a consumer, looking at your booth picture does nothing for me and the fact that your employees are dressed liked they are would not make me stop, in fact I would go the other way.

My remodeling company was so busy from refferal work that we only did the shows to keep the name out there and provide information. As another example of bad advice to others wanting to do trade shows, these shows are never a selling atmosphere and the purpose of being in them should be to expose your company as a polished proffessional company and introduce yourself to the public, well dressed, courteous, proffessional and friendly. I can not believe that you portray your competitors as what you say on a public forum. I also hope for you that this is not a NAHB, NARI or HBA event that you are bad mouthing fellow members on a public forum and they ask you to not return.
__________________
www.shelladditions.com

Last edited by Shellbuilder; 10-25-2008 at 07:18 PM.
Shellbuilder is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 08:16 PM   #16
Sean
 
SLSTech's Avatar
 
Trade: Principal / Owner
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 5,264
Rewards Points: 282

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


Shellbuilder you are correct on many fronts
PCPlumber is also right on many fronts
It depends on what type of show you are at & who you are trying to attract
As a contractor at a show geared for consumers, I might (my wife definitely would) grab the bag of goodies. Would I use their services - doubtful, but that is not there business / marketing model. Would PcPlumber use the same tactics at an NAHB or NARI show? I doubt he would be there as a vendor & I am sure he would change tactics somewhat if he was there. I may be wrong but it all comes down to WHO you are, What you want to accomplish, Why you are there & HOW best to accomplish your goals. Everyone has there own ideas & can learn from others. Maybe a cheap pen is cheesy, but if it could get you a good sale???
As a side note - what is in those cookies? I mean if people can still be laughing, goofing around after 3 days...
__________________
SLS Construction & Building Solutions LLC Our Blog - The HTRC
SLSTech is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #17
Pro
 
pcplumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,247
Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellbuilder View Post
PC,
You remind me of some guys I met at one of the first NAHB remodelers show. They were all introducing themelves as I'm so and so, 2 mill a year, 1 mil a year and it goes on. Perhaps instead of offering to send me your bank statements , you should heed experienced advice about doing home shows, My first one was 23 years ago, although I haven't been in one in 8 years, I still go to several shows a year including the IBS and the RC and our local home shows. I go to these as a consumer, looking at your booth picture does nothing for me and the fact that your employees are dressed liked they are would not make me stop, in fact I would go the other way.

My remodeling company was so busy from refferal work that we only did the shows to keep the name out there and provide information. As another example of bad advice to others wanting to do trade shows, these shows are never a selling atmosphere and the purpose of being in them should be to expose your company as a polished proffessional company and introduce yourself to the public, well dressed, courteous, proffessional and friendly. I can not believe that you portray your competitors as what you say on a public forum. I also hope for you that this is not a NAHB, NARI or HBA event that you are bad mouthing fellow members on a public forum and they ask you to not return.
You are bouncing all over the place and twisting statements.This thread is about how to make a Home Show effective. I am not introducing myself with a $million price tag. I am telling members, I am only a dumb plumber, who sells jobs, that range from $4,000 to $30,000, and my sales, for a three-day home show, are up to $250,000, over a period of about a year or two. I can't remember exactly. Maybe, if I were a remodeler, I would be closing sales for $millions because your jobs cost more. The amount of sales, we close, is very relevant to the subject of this thread.

It is ironic, I keep hearing the statements, you make, regarding the things you would not do. You think customers are like you. Obviously, I proved that you are wrong, because almost every customer comes to my booth 1, 2, 3, and 4 times. The customers will not ignore my booth, like you would do, because I am wearing a tee shirt. I don't believe you would pass my booth, either, without wanting to know what all the buzz is about.

I am not angry, mad, nor upset with your posts, and I never suggested that any contractor wear tee shirts at a home show. I do say; this is my style, and it makes me feel comfortable. When I feel comfortable, I interact with customers, better, and I close sales better.

This is a serious problem that I see many people have (maybe you too). We focus, too much, on how we appear, and not enough on how to make the fungolas. Most of the information, we learn, is only the basics and academics. Nobody tells you how to put everything together. For example, you can read all the books, in the world, about marketing and advertising. When finished, we still design a bad ad, because we still need the experience, to put everything together.

Now, we come to the forum. Someone wants to know how to design an an along comes Jack. Jack already has ads that generate $millions of dollars in sales. Jack has been using some of these ads for 35 years.

"Oh no", says the forum member. Those ads won't work. I would never use one of those ads. I would never put a candy tube at my home show. I would never have an employee with tattoos at my booth. I'm not having the show for profit. I wouldn't go to my own booth if my men were wearing tee shirts. Jack's show will never work."

My bank statements prove different. When I see another contractors making $millions, I get inspired. I'm willing to back up what I say. In fact, I welcome you or any contractor to come visit me for an hour, week, or a month. Beat me. Bash me. But, this is what I think a forum is about. It is critical to post a price on the advice, or members will not understand the benefits of implementing change.

You don't really know what a person is like by reading their posts. You know nothing about my personality by the way I write. You know nothing about a person's mannerisms, etiquette, honesty, sincerity, friendliness, sadness, nor happiness. If you met me in person, I think you would take back a few of the statements you made, because you are making assumptions, based on how your personal experiences, education, and reactions. I met a few members from the last forum and they were 1,000% different than what I expected. Some of their posts made me think they were real jerks. When I met, these members, they were the coolest people I ever met, and I was wrong (only this one time in my life).

I welcome your previous and future comments. This is what the forum is for. I love a good argument, but, be warned, "I don't go down easily and I won't run from a good argument."

And.....when I see you at my booth, I will give you a big cookie.

Jack
pcplumber is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #18
It's all about the Avatar
 
woodmagman's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,814
Rewards Points: 1,016

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


I would take a pretty lady over a tube of candy every time I guess if you look to people’s vices you can reel them in. A sweet tooth is a sweet tooth, other wise Walt Disney would have hired an ugly fat mouse in a T-shirt to greet you at the gate rather then a sleeping princess and a veracious black and white she mouse in a short dotted skirt batting her eyes lashes at you when you enter the world of children and families..
Pretty girls and trade show go together like hot bread and butter.
Most of us trade guys are that fat mouse, so a little shine really helps, and putting on a tie never killed a sale, you can always take it off if you feel the need to relate to the common folk. If you have product, flair, personality and good looks the skies the limit....
woodmagman is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 10:05 PM   #19
Pro
 
pcplumber's Avatar
 
Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,247
Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmagman View Post
I would take a pretty lady over a tube of candy every time I guess if you look to people’s vices you can reel them in. A sweet tooth is a sweet tooth, other wise Walt Disney would have hired an ugly fat mouse in a T-shirt to greet you at the gate rather then a sleeping princess and a veracious black and white she mouse in a short dotted skirt batting her eyes lashes at you when you enter the world of children and families..
Pretty girls and trade show go together like hot bread and butter.
Most of us trade guys are that fat mouse, so a little shine really helps, and putting on a tie never killed a sale, you can always take it off if you feel the need to relate to the common folk. If you have product, flair, personality and good looks the skies the limit....
You should have been a poet? Well said! Okay, everyone is right. I am going to get a button-up, white shirt, with blue pin-stripes, and I will have patches and labels attached Then I will take a picture of myself and post it, just to show you. The new shirt will give me two more pockets I can put my cookies in. Then, I'll put my tee shirt over the pin-striped shirt.
The cookies and tee shirt are a joke, but I will get some pin-stripes shirts. Think I'll try to do a show by the end of this month, since you got me all fired up

Jack
pcplumber is offline  
Old 10-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #20
It's all about the Avatar
 
woodmagman's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,814
Rewards Points: 1,016

Re: How Do You Maximize Home Show Effectiveness?


Quote:
Originally Posted by pcplumber View Post
You should have been a poet? Well said! Okay, everyone is right. I am going to get a button-up, white shirt, with blue pin-stripes, and I will have patches and labels attached Then I will take a picture of myself and post it, just to show you. The new shirt will give me two more pockets I can put my cookies in. Then, I'll put my tee shirt over the pin-striped shirt.
The cookies and tee shirt are a joke, but I will get some pin-stripes shirts. Think I'll try to do a show by the end of this month, since you got me all fired up

Jack
and in that picture I do expect to see a mini mouse tie....

Advertisement

woodmagman is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Depot...WTF? ChainsawCharlie General Discussion 46 07-06-2009 07:58 AM
Home Depot and Lowes taking losses too nywoodwizard Business 20 11-09-2008 08:47 AM
home reno show experts? Mrmac204 Off Topic (Non Trade) 0 09-27-2008 09:31 PM
TCBA home show Teetorbilt General Discussion 2 09-29-2006 09:26 PM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?