How To Advertise Landscape Company

Old 09-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #1

Trade: landscape
Rewards Points: 10

How To Advertise Landscape Company

hi,
we are a landscape & design company in southern California. We do complete landscape construction and design, tree trimming, maintenance...etc
After making some research about the market, we have decided to expand our business (our market share,target market).
We are located in really good neighborhood for landscaping industry , this is one of our biggest advantage.

We have some thoughts about how we market our business but i also want to ask if you have any ideas or advise for us to start .

We have never advertised our company before just word of mouth.
besides, we don't have that much budget at the beginning.

Any idea helps
Thank you very much

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Aluminum Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Re: How To Advertise Landscape Company

Hi if you have been in business and have completed work then this should be easy for you.

I like before and after pictures the best in a postcard or inserts in the newspaper. The main thing is to pick your target area that best fits your prices and designs.

Also don't forget to work online to get more leads. Make sure your company is listed with google maps and you can put a coupon or a video on your listing also. Good luck

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #3

yeah we have pay per click on google, and also we put some ad on local papers.
and also we are thinking about direct mail, I have read some topics about direct mails and it seems it is not worth to do it or try at the beginning , cos we doesn't have such a huge costumer database so we were thinking to buy direct mail list but not sure now after reading some about it. what do you think?

We also want to create a kind of referral programs , but still working on it , we are not sure how we can do it . by direct mail or online?

Old 10-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #4

Trade: contractor

Fidelyo,

I know other landscape contractors have had good luck with this:

http://www.myprimebuyersguide.com/ca...ndscaping.html

Part of being listed as one of the researched landscape companies there is having a phone interview, and agreeing to only hiring document workers, and some things like that.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:13 PM   #5

Thank you screening but i think that website is just for the bay area and around. we are located in san diego and our target market is southern california.
but thanks anyway.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #6

Trade: low voltage
Rewards Points: 75

I know a landscaping company in jersey that made a deal w/ a realtor. Whether they have a welcome package or just pass on your number. They seem to do quite well this way.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #7

yeah , to deal with a realtor sounds like such a good idea. do you have any knowledge about the deal, MEDIAINSTALLS. Was it kind of referring each other?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #8

Trade: Concrete

If you're looking into putting ads into local papers and clipper "savers" make sure it fits your target market and demographic. Obviously you don't want your ad in a clipper book that is 80% restaurants or 70% clothing botiques.

I'm not in the landscaping business but I am a small business owner in So. Cal and know how competitive the market is. branding your company is important, and will make your advertising efforts more effective. Make sure you have a distinct logo or tagline. My son is the marketing expert and has really helped me with getting my company noticed, even in tough times.

Since you're dealing with your immediate neighborhood and geography, marketing to that area is important. My son, as well as half my competition recently turned me on to getting my work truck wrapped. I think this is a good investment for local marketing and branding, especially in crowded so.cal. I went with a local company (1daywraps.com). I had actually wrote about this in the vehicle section of this forum and saw your post so just wanted to share my experience.

Another marketing and branding tool I've found works well is yard signs. They may be silly and not much to think about but I've gotten quite a bit of business from people's curiosity. If you've got a cheap laborer or a neighbor kid you can also have door hangers printed up and have someone go door to door hanging them. I received four jobs off of door hangers in a new developement near my house, which paid for the door hangers 20 times over.

Know your market, and market accordingly.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:56 PM   #9

Trade: low voltage
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelyo View Post
yeah , to deal with a realtor sounds like such a good idea. do you have any knowledge about the deal, MEDIAINSTALLS. Was it kind of referring each other?
I think it mostly consisted of for every new account the realtor was able to bring them bc of giving out his info he offered a commission/finders fee to the realtor. Best advice talk to them and see what they would want out of it?
Old 10-07-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelyo View Post
hi,
we are a landscape & design company in southern California. We do complete landscape construction and design, tree trimming, maintenance...etc
After making some research about the market, we have decided to expand our business (our market share,target market).
We are located in really good neighborhood for landscaping industry , this is one of our biggest advantage.

We have some thoughts about how we market our business but i also want to ask if you have any ideas or advise for us to start .

We have never advertised our company before just word of mouth.
besides, we don't have that much budget at the beginning.

Any idea helps
Thank you very much
I'd google "landscape & design company" and do a little research. Here's One
Good Luck!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #11

Trade: Landscaping
Rewards Points: 14

Make sure that your website is optimized correctly. My friend does that for a living and after he did this I was getting double the calls. For sure make sure you have a Google, Yahoo and Bing business listing. Here is the site he designed as well. Check out the meta tags on you site, make sure they are correct.

Outer Banks Landscaping
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #12
User

Trade: All Home Services
Rewards Points: 428

There are a million options available to market your landscape business; however, if you're like most contractors, you don't have the time/money to do them all.

Your success comes down to two things:

+ Prioritization
+ Taking a process approach to marketing: TRACK > TEST > TWEAK > REPEAT

Tracking is the single most important aspect of advertising and marketing - yet almost no one does it! Even when people say they're doing it, they're typically not doing it well (i.e. not tracking things accurately).

Think of advertising and marketing data in the same way you would your financial data. Just like you can't (intelligently) run a business with inaccurate financial data, you can't (intelligently) market a business without accurate marketing data!

At a minimum, you must know metrics like:

- Leads per month
- Leads per month by marketing source
- Cost per lead
- Cost per lead by marketing source
- Lead to sale conversion rates
- Lead to sale conversion rates by marketing source
- Avg. revenue per sale by marketing source
- Avg. gross margin (by job type if applicable)
- Your website's TRUE visit-to-lead conversion rate (don't forget to account for the phone inquiries you receive - did that phone call you just took come from a pay per click ad, an organic click or a direct visit???)

With all the data above, it's not hard to come up with goals for new leads, the most you should be willing to spend to acquire a new client/job and the most you should be willing to pay to generate a lead.

Now you have the data required to do some TESTING.

If you're doing PPC, what's the ROI? If you're able to get leads via PPC at or below your defined max cost per lead ceiling, is your PPC budget turned all the way up? Are you investing in SEO? How much? What's the effective cost per lead and cost per sale? Are you doing all that you can (do you have multiple websites - each with a blog, news section, faqs, knowledge base, testimonials, etc.)?

Hopefully this gives you some food for thought and direction.

Best of luck this season (wait... you're in CA - is every season landscape season!?! )
Old 10-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #13

This is an old post, I posted before but my landscaping company has done a lot in terms of marketing, SEO and a ton of other things that have tripled my business. So much has changed. Hope this helps.

Make sure you are testing and tracking everything!
Old 10-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Estimator
Rewards Points: 832

The single most effective way to generate leads NOW is by canvassing. If you care about your business you should be willing to do that. Let me know if you need a goodness script I build canvassing teams all the time. The next best thing would be to set up a sales funnel and run traffic through it with Facebook ads. If you have a really good offer you can post in Facebook groups. Just know that saying stuff like "call us now for a free estimate" is a sure fire way to NOT generate leads.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #15

I typically use great SEO, Facebook Ads (Boosting) and inviting them to like the page. I also like to send to my customer list for my Cleveland fence companies friend. It's not landscaping but we do snow removal the rest of you guys in the winter.

Advertisement