How To Advertise To Designers And Architects?

Old 09-15-2008, 09:30 AM   #1

Trade: REMODELING
Rewards Points: 75

How To Advertise To Designers And Architects?

Okay, any of you have had any luck with this?

I know in many neighborhoods near my home, residents use designers for their remodeling needs. How do you market yourself to these designers? Do you have to put together a fancy porfolio? I know if I call to see them personally just like out of the blue, I will get nowhere fast.

Same about architects. I know most of us here are remodelers and contractors and probably no architects to get feedback from....but have any of you have had success getting into a referrence program with local architects in your area?

Always listening to your advice...

Sevi

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Construction News Service
Rewards Points: 252

Re: How To Advertise To Designers And Architects?

The suggestions here are not fast and simple -- unless you know people and have an 'in' you will have an uphill battle; but once you are connected, things get much easier.

1. Is there a HBA in your area, and if there is, does it have a renovators council. In this case, your membership dues may pay off two fold -- the crediility and connections within the renovators' group and (probably more usefully) the opportunity to network with designers who are also members of the group.

2. Can you obtain references to the designers from homeowners who have used them? You'll need specific names and references -- but if you call the designer saying that one of their (current or former) clients recommended you to the designer, you are certainly going to get a much warmer recognition than a cold call! Note the homeowner doesn't need to have used your services (though obviously it will be helpful). The issue is primarily that the homeowner is the designer's client, and therefore the designer is more likely to reference/recognize you because you took the time to connect with the homeowner first.

3. Somewhat in line with 1 above, if you can connect to a local designers association, you may find membership is rewarding -- you plan your activities and initiatives in line with their interests and your abilities.

All of this, of course, is not fast acting stuff (unless you are very lucky). You could send e-letters, make cold calls, and the like, and wth sheer determiantion and some brute force, obtain appointments. But I sense the fastest way to their heart is through the extensions of word of mouth principals.

(PS. Although I'm a publisher, not a renovator or designer, there are undoubtedly advantages of connecting and long-term relationships; business sometimes seems to fall in our laps now even when we aren't looking for it.)

Advertisement

Last edited by Publisher1; 09-15-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,000

I would say the best way is not to advertise, but to network into meeting them. Join a trade group, or volunteer to help at a local homeshow that is featuring a designers work. Network into it. Professional designers won't respond to many forms of marketing. They are networkers.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre

trade shows that cater to designers or architects.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:34 PM   #5

Ok, the only thing I know that is similar to the HBA is the TCBA (Treasure Coast Builders Association) which has like tons of members as Builders/GC's etc...how will that help me?

Looking at trade show info now as Gene mentioned. I'm afraid to even look at how much that even costs.

Sevi
Old 09-16-2008, 06:32 AM   #6
Certified Remodeler

Trade: Kitchen bath remodeler

I am a member of NARI, BATC and NKBA.
I meet designers at these meetings.
There are requirements to join, like how long you've been in business.
Walk, don't run into growing your business.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #7

Trade: custom carpentry
Rewards Points: 10

go to usaleads and buy a list of architect or interior designers or what ever you are looking for.

then go to vistaprint.com and design a professional 5 1/2 x8 1/2 postcard full color with pics of your work and do mailings. handwrite the address and mail them out. mail them every 30-60 days for a year and it will work. if you have the time 3 days after mailing follow-up with a brief phone call.

hi there this is..... I sent you a some information about my remodeling company and just wanted to personally introduce myself..... what are you doing know or referring to. what are the possibilities for us to bid on some of your projects......
take if from their

It's the details that make the difference.... pay attention to them.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

Ya know, guy, I've been reading through a couple of the many threads you've started here lately. You've asked a ton of questions regarding the best way to start up your business - you've actually gotten a lot of good advice too. For whatever reason, people here have taken you on as a pet project of sorts... no biggie, but here's the rub:
For every piece of advice you've been given, your comment is "Jeez, that costs a lot." You thought $200 was a lot for a logo. C'mon, man, that's your whole business identity - pay for some quality.

You cannot start up a contracting company w/ no money. Period.

If you have no money, get some. Then try to start up your business.

By the way, there's no way you should put that ass crack photo anywhere in your marketing materials!

Good luck, but understand the realities of your situation:

Advertising/networking brings in clients, advertising/networking costs money.

Mac
Old 09-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltByMAC View Post
Ya know, guy, I've been reading through a couple of the many threads you've started here lately. You've asked a ton of questions regarding the best way to start up your business - you've actually gotten a lot of good advice too. For whatever reason, people here have taken you on as a pet project of sorts... no biggie, but here's the rub:
For every piece of advice you've been given, your comment is "Jeez, that costs a lot." You thought $200 was a lot for a logo. C'mon, man, that's your whole business identity - pay for some quality.

You cannot start up a contracting company w/ no money. Period.

If you have no money, get some. Then try to start up your business.

By the way, there's no way you should put that ass crack photo anywhere in your marketing materials!

Good luck, but understand the realities of your situation:

Advertising/networking brings in clients, advertising/networking costs money.

Mac
Hi Mac,

Thanks for your input. Yes, I've asked alot of questions because I was under the impression that people here are on this forum to ask questions and get advice.

Also, the reason I have complained about some things costing too much, is for the simple reason that before now, I never needed to advertise and never spent a dime on advertising except for some shirts, and now an ad in a magazine. Now, by any means this does not mean I have not spent money in my "start-up business", if you can consider start-up after 11 years. I have spent TONS of money on tools and operation costs, just not advertising.... The difference is that I am not and never have been a "Tech" guy as many of you here are both. For me some things look so simple (and may not be) and seem to cost alot. Now, that may not be so and I could be completely wrong.
Let me give you a quick example...I spent $700 on a magazine add that I did not even get one call from. Now, at the end of the day when I crash on the couch with ice packs on my knees, I think that I work pretty hard for those $700. I'm not saying it's not worth it, and I know it's all a "gamble", I'm just not used to spending money and not seeing results. I guess I just have to get used to it. This does not mean that I will not spend money to get my name out there....my questions here have been geared towards spending the money the best I can according to people's advice from their own experiences. Is it foolproof? NO. But it's better to listen to others than just drag yourself through experiences that you've been warned about.

About the Logo, I said I thought it was too much....you know why? My logo is 3 letters...CGC in whatever color. Now, excuse me for thinking it should probably take 30 minutes to make this happen...but again, maybe I'm wrong. I don't know about your work, but can guarantee you I don't make $200 in 30 min.

Anyways, about me being a "pet project", well I wasn't aware of that. From what I have seen on this forum, there are thousands of questions asked by members with thousands of responses.....hence the whole intention of having this site, people helping eachother. Now, considering the fact that you have over 1300 posts on this site, I assume you too have had lots of questions, comments and answers for others.

Rest assured, I will not bother much anymore.

Take Care,
Sevi

Last edited by CornerstoneGC; 09-16-2008 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:08 AM   #10

Trade: Septic and Plumbing Services

Network. network. network. Its what makes the world go round, and keeps many businesses going strong. HBA and tradeshows are a good start.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #11
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD

Sevi

Ask away with the question. You either get an answer or you don't.

Everyone has their opinions If Mac thinks your being a pain maybe you are maybe you aren't so what.

Some days you come in here and things go your way. Some days we think your an a-hole.

Dude it happens to all of us. I get ripped some days and I get praised the other, its life.

Think of how much info you gather here versus the days you get called a pain in the arse

Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2

www.ObrienConstructionDenver.com

Last edited by kevjob; 10-15-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjob View Post
Don't ask questions if you don't want to hear the answer. You ask us questions so you don't have go thru the pitfalls we have, which marketing works etc.. You benefit from our mistakes and dollars lost. That information is more valuable than any other advice you can get anywhere. Some of us don't want to freely give out that kind of information unless we know you.
Well, my mistake then. From what I have seen on the posts, it's all about giving advice from experiences, doesn't matter if you lost money or not. When people are talking about adwords and Google and optimizing sites, I see them getting tons of help with what has and has not worked for other posters. I dont see any replies basically saying "Try it out chump, we won't tell you anything". That would practically void the whole need for this site and for people helping eachother.

The funny thing is that the way you think is basically, I'm your competitor and why should you share something that can help me out. Well, I'm nowhere near any of you guys to steal business so I don't know what the big secret is.

So if you don't want to "freely give" out that information then don't share it. Obviously, not everyone thinks like you do, because people HAVE shared............FREELY.

And I have a feeling they have "freely shared" important information with you too in the past and will also in the future. I WOULD!

Sevi
Old 09-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
Professional Instigator

I take it back,

I want all my free advice back or a check.

You have until of the end of the day let me know which you decided.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:45 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler, Roofing Expert and Coach

Finding designers or architechs

Go to association dinners; NARI, NAHBR, Builders Associations
Network at chamber events like business after hours, breakfast meetings,
luncheons. Go to local bath and kitchen showrooms and tell them you are looking to develop strategic alliances with them and are interviewing them to see if you should bring your homeowner clients for products they offer. While you are there ask about referrals to designers and architechs.
Go to BNI and see if their are any major networking events.

Be the hunter and never starve by taking matters into your own hands.

Look in local service directories, online, trade publications, chambers of commerces for designers advertising to design for homeowners. Call local showrooms for baths, kitchens, and lumberyards and tell them you are looking at some major renovation projects and you would like to know if they could refer good designers and architechs. Then call the designers and architechs up and introduce yourself. Tell them you are looking to develop strategic alliances with designers to partner with them on home renovation projects. Offer to meet them for a cup of coffee at Starbucks or some earthy cafe. If there is a Book store cafe suggest that. Tell them you are interested in seeing their portfolio of work so you can understand what projects to bring to them. Let them know that you are looking to grow with them.

You can also go to any trade shows or design association sponsored events and meet them. Look to offer a strategic alliance and resist the temptation to talk about how good you are and instead look to understand how good they are and how you are looking to help them first.

good luck

mark the coach
Old 09-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsremodeling View Post
I take it back,

I want all my free advice back or a check.

You have until of the end of the day let me know which you decided.
Check is in the mail!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Deck guy
Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornerstoneGC View Post
... I was under the impression that people here are on this forum to ask questions and get advice.

Anyways, about me being a "pet project", well I wasn't aware of that. From what I have seen on this forum, there are thousands of questions asked by members with thousands of responses.....hence the whole intention of having this site, people helping eachother.
Gonna hafta grow a thicker skin if you're gonna hang out here...one slightly negative post and your response is "I won't be much of a bother anymore?"
Yes, this forum is about the exchange of information. I see you as a mostly one-way street, taking what information people are willing to share with you. Like I said, no biggie to me, I didn't get into your threads until now...and even then, I was giving you some information. Advertising costs...good advertising costs more than a couple hundred bones.
I didn't realize your logo was so basic - hell, paypal me $100 and I'll get your logo done for you. You DO realize that a three initial logo is completely forgettable, don't you? (Look, more information!)

The reason I called you a "pet project" is that usually, when someone asks as many basic questions as you, they get shredded. You're getting good responses, many folks are willing to help you out. That's cool, you struck a chord with folks here, you're getting info free, you can use that to grow your business, etc. etc.

Like I said, I got the impression that you don't have much money to throw at this 11 yr old business (not sure how I got the impression it was a start-up...possibly from your questions) - but getting calls coming in costs cash. If you don't much to throw around, it will be difficult to get the phone ringing. That was my only real point.

Mac
Old 09-16-2008, 08:49 PM   #18

Mac, maybe you're right, I need to get pounded around. So far it has been a one way street, because when it comes to marketing I have nothing to teach or report as of yet. So yes, I'm getting the information from people here, I mean I just wanted to hear opinions as to this whole marketing perspective. It's not like I'm asking some deep dark secret, I just wanted to mainly know if Direct Mail works and maybe how to reach the right target or maybe words that would make me stand out. I still have not designed my card or don't even know if I should advertise for remodeling or narrow it down to let's say just baths or just flooring or whatever. Still don't have a bold catch phrase or anything like that. But at least now from the help of people here, I've learned what to think about and what to try and look for. I get plenty of postcards for all kinds of services and they always end up in the garbage.

And for being a "pet project" oh well, maybe people saw that I reminded them of themselves at one point and wanted to help. I'm one of those people in life, if I can help someone out, I always have and will. What goes around comes around....

Yes, I know my logo is not a big deal...it's 3 letters arranged to kind of loop around eachother....I know it's not catchy and it's forgettable, but I just can't think of anything different. But hey, at least I've got a logo now!

Alright, got enough help, now let's just move on.
Sevi
Old 09-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #19
Professional Instigator

Where is the crappy logo at. Maybe we can come up with something new if we saw it. Maybe you posted it before but i don't want to hunt it down where's it at?

Old 09-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #20

HEYYYY....I never said it was Crappy!! LOL...I just said it was SIMPLE.
Attached Images

Advertisement