Houzz??

Old 05-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 10

Houzz??

I recently setup my Houzz page, showing some of the homes completed recently. I setup as "Pro" and recieved a call from some kind of representative and will speak with her tomorrow afternoon.

I have already gotten calls from Home Advisor, which service I declined, and am curious as to what to expect from Houzz.

Will they be offering a similar service? Is paying for anything worth it? Any info would be appreciated. I do think that Houzz is something that has great potential for bringing in new work, but looking for some of yall experience with it.

Thanks,
Larry

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #2
Particulate Filter

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,024

Re: Houzz??

If the advertising requires a one year contract I would tread carefully.

Back when marketing relied on printed phonebooks, a yearly subscription was reasonable. When youre ppc there is no legitimate reason for a long term commitment.

Advertisement

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 05-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
Pro Contractor

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 4

I spoke with them today. They offer to help out with your branding and exposure but not actually sell leads.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,254

Larry, Houzz’s value depends on what you do and what you want to do (your profile offers nothing). I’m a sponsored (I pay for placement) design/build client on Houzz. If you’re in the right economy (your profile offers nothing), Houzz can be a fantastic opportunity. If you clients come from Craig’s List, don’t spend the money.

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
Old 09-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
Marketing Manager

Trade: Remodeling Expert
Rewards Points: 314

Similar service, but tread carefully. You pay for 'sponsored' listings within Houzz. If you're in one of the services that Houzz focuses on (design-build and other highly visual industries) it may make sense. I'd recommend finding a flooring expert who is on Houzz to check in with about it.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:12 PM   #6
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 358

Houzz is a really great opportunity because you can showcase your work and projects there, reach more potential clients and connect with some other professionals if you wish. Also, you can engage in discussions and help people with their design or some other dilemmas. The kind of help you will provide depends on the niche you're in. You can put links to your website (the links are no-follow, but still valuable). All in all, great opportunity - you just need to have some time for it.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:58 AM   #7
New Guy

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon7879 View Post
I spoke with them today. They offer to help out with your branding and exposure but not actually sell leads.
How exactly did they offer to help you with branding? Are they taking about letting you use all those Houzz badges on your website?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:25 AM   #8

Trade: Architectural Metal Fabrication
Rewards Points: 4

We advertised with Houzz for a year and I don't think it was particularly worth it.

Their premise was that they would place ads for our business in various locations on their site for users that were located in the geographic region that we paid for.

We received some responses from people but never converted any into sales, mainly, I think, because people use Houzz when they're looking but not necessarily ready to buy. Furthermore, Houzz's way of dividing the Atlanta area into regions wasn't economical for us.

We paid $3k for the year. Had we won one job, it might have been worth it.

As it is, our profile is near the top of search results for our niche category even without being promoted so I don't think the additional boost ended up being necessary.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: General and Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,388

I have a free Houzz profile with professional photos and solid reviews. And receive about 4 leads per month from it. I have even converted some to good projects and long term clients.

That said, I would not pay to advertise there. After all, they are using you to get people to their site as much as you are using them to get leads.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #10

Trade: design/build

My entire web presence is on Houzz, and from a lead generation standpoint, it has pretty much completely obviated the need for me to have a stand-alone website. I created a free Houzz listing in May 2014 and I have never signed up for a paid "Pro" account (despite numerous entreaties from Houzz salespeople to go "Pro"). At this juncture I have 80+ projects listed, over 600 photos, and nearly 30 five-star client reviews. I would say I average about 2-3 project inquiries a week, allowing me to be quite picky with what I choose to bid on.

As others have mentioned, Houzz is a very 'visual' website and best suited to designers, decorators and design-builders with lots of attractive finished and staged spaces to show off. Not to 'gender stereotype' or anything, but I think this makes Houzz particularly popular with women - I would say probably 80% of my 'first contacts' with potential clients are female. I have always believed that women 'make the renovating world go round' so of course I'm perfectly happy with this situation.

BTW Contractor Talk noob here - I just signed up tonight and this is my first post. Hello everyone!
Old 02-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Design/Build Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,254

JBH, I'd be interested to see your Houzz page. Company Name or link?

BTW, Welcome!

Da Vinci on the web or Da Vinci On Facebook
Old 02-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #12

Trade: design/build

Just google "Home Reborn". It goes straight to my Houzz page.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBH For This Useful Post:
DaVinciRemodel (02-24-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #13

Trade: Plumbing and General Contractor
Rewards Points: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH View Post
My entire web presence is on Houzz, and from a lead generation standpoint, it has pretty much completely obviated the need for me to have a stand-alone website. I created a free Houzz listing in May 2014 and I have never signed up for a paid "Pro" account (despite numerous entreaties from Houzz salespeople to go "Pro"). At this juncture I have 80+ projects listed, over 600 photos, and nearly 30 five-star client reviews. I would say I average about 2-3 project inquiries a week, allowing me to be quite picky with what I choose to bid on.

As others have mentioned, Houzz is a very 'visual' website and best suited to designers, decorators and design-builders with lots of attractive finished and staged spaces to show off. Not to 'gender stereotype' or anything, but I think this makes Houzz particularly popular with women - I would say probably 80% of my 'first contacts' with potential clients are female. I have always believed that women 'make the renovating world go round' so of course I'm perfectly happy with this situation.

BTW Contractor Talk noob here - I just signed up tonight and this is my first post. Hello everyone!

I literally paid my last month of paid advert on houzz. It was the worst advert investment I ever made.

Plan to keep the unpaid page
Old 03-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 1,860

That's because they lock you into expensive long term contracts so they could care less if it actually works for you they have their money

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #15

Trade: Plumbing and General Contractor
Rewards Points: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectorSecurity View Post
That's because they lock you into expensive long term contracts so they could care less if it actually works for you they have their money

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Yup. I paid $450 per month for 1 year and didnt get one inquiry
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnsonPlumbing For This Useful Post:
heavy_d (03-11-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 03:48 PM   #16
Pro

Trade: renovation carpenter
Rewards Points: 1,638

I've had two calls from the free advertising.
I declined the paid ads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 06:19 AM   #17
New Guy

Trade: Marketing
Rewards Points: 48

They are making a big push to sell advertising. I have seen them at 2 of the last 3 conventions I attended - A pressure washing convention in DC (Aug 16) and the International Roof Expo in Las Vegas (Mar 17).

Their premise from a high level is to interject lead capture style ads into the stream of projects/photos to users. Based on our conversations with their representatives, we did not advise any clients to divert marketing budget into the product. (We do not work with any residential GC's who would do full kitchen remodels etc. where we could see major value)

As an organic site/profile, they are on our "must have and update list", but we do not yet see how their lead capture functionality would work for a wide range of residential trade contracting services.

Also - first post after stumbling into Contractor Talk last night doing research for a blog on Homeyou. Excited to contribute in a meaningful way on marketing topics without pitching or selling anything. Just sharing our experience from running marketing plans day in and day out for more than 150 contractors around the country.

I am one of four owners of a 20 person marketing company that helps contractors define a marketing strategy, execute the work, and implement the necessary tools to track growth goals against marketing objectives.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Pay-Per-Lead Yellow Page Advertising
Rewards Points: 22

I wrote a blog post several years back here on the "branding vs. Lead Generation" topic - might be a helpful read to check out!

http://www.contractortalk.com/blogs/...ead-generation

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to DamionR For This Useful Post:
conductor (05-19-2017)