Home Improvement Show - Marketing & Sales - Contractor Talk

Home Improvement Show

Old 11-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #1

Trade: remodeliong, repair, woodworking
Rewards Points: 75

Home Improvement Show

I'm in Las Cruces, NM. I do remodeling, major repairs and custom cabinetry. The Las Cruces metro area has a population of around 100,000. I'm looking at a home improvement show put on by the local home builders assocation. a booth costs $800. What do you think the results would be? Is $800 high? I have nothing to compare to. I can see where this could really be good. I can also see coughing up the $800 plus maybe that much or more for a first class display and going home with nothing. Any opinions?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,016

Re: Home Improvement Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by will575 View Post
I'm in Las Cruces, NM. I do remodeling, major repairs and custom cabinetry. The Las Cruces metro area has a population of around 100,000. I'm looking at a home improvement show put on by the local home builders assocation. a booth costs $800. What do you think the results would be? Is $800 high? I have nothing to compare to. I can see where this could really be good. I can also see coughing up the $800 plus maybe that much or more for a first class display and going home with nothing. Any opinions?
Your cost for the booth is relevant to the area... that sounds good where I am at.
I would check into stats on who goes to the events, this is something you can get from the planners or from the association that is putting the event on.

If you display well and do your homework. Shows can be very good.

Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
(aka 'The Wolf')

Trade: Home Improvement / Custom Tile Installations
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Home Improvement Show

Like Woodmagman already mentioned, whether that fee is high or low depends on the area.

If the fee is an issue, you might consider searching around for another contractor or two to buy into the booth with you and split the cost. The key to making that work is that your services are all very different but they compliment each other.

For example, last month we did a local Home Improvement show and teamed up with a local Glass installer and a local tile store. Our display was a very stylish steam shower -- the glass guy bought the booth space provided the glass doors, the tile store provided the tile and shower fixtures, and my team provided the tile work labor. All three companies took turns manning the booth over the 2 week duration of the show. We all had our own promo materials there on the table, plus a nice plaque on the shower with all of our company names on it. We all got enough work out of it to cover what we put into it so it was a success.
http://www.bgpublishing.com/