Help With Name

Old 04-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 4

Help With Name

Getting into being a contractor and gonna start building homes, needing help with name for it. Its going to be a partnership with a friend of mine, Our initials are J&T for first names and V&G for last. To me JT Homes or VG Homes or vice versa doesnt have the ring to it that people will remember. Wondering what people think of Velocity Homes, I dunno if people will look at it and wonder if we will rush to build homes etc. I've spent all day just trying to figure out a name and came across this site. Hoping for any help.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General and Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,148

Re: Help With Name

Precision Homes

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJ Contractor For This Useful Post:
Californiadecks (04-14-2017), Gilley (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 1,406

We were friends before we started this company Homes.
72chevy4x4 (04-18-2017), Bull Trout (04-14-2017), Californiadecks (04-14-2017), CharlieDelta (04-13-2017), flashheatingand (04-13-2017), FrankSmith (04-13-2017), Gilley (04-12-2017), illbuildit.dd (04-13-2017), NJ Contractor (04-13-2017), Unger.const (04-15-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 134

i would not use initials

using a persons last name = quality to many people

my last name is too long and difficult, so i used the city/county as my company name

if i were you....i would pick a simple name that sounds nice....what is your niche? pick something that tells people what you do in 1-2 words and add Builders on the end of it...or Homes.....

by using Homes you may limit yourself on remodels

a name can be important....dont use your initials...in my opinion it makes you look small time.....i think about all the builders in my area and cant think of one that uses initials that is a quality builder....actually cant even think of 1 period
The Following User Says Thank You to battering ram For This Useful Post:
Gilley (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,310

Attached Images

72chevy4x4 (04-18-2017), Gilley (04-12-2017), ScipioAfricanus (04-15-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #6
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,068

Only thing to consider is using a personal name may hinder future opportunities. I am working with people who tell me they wished they didn't use their name since there is a perception that customers must speak to the owner when something needs to be reviewed or questioned. Over time, you may want to hire estimators, project managers, etc., and their value can inadvertently be diminished when people clearly know they can speak to someone else to get what they want.

It works on the personalized side of growing the business, but can be harder as you want others to run certain areas of the business.

Good luck on your decision.

Brian

PS. Also ensure to check out Domain Names before finalizing your decision since sometimes that may restrict-change your decisions too.
Gilley (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:50 PM   #7

Trade: Home Builder
Rewards Points: 4

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. Bunch of things I would have never considered.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB View Post
Only thing to consider is using a personal name may hinder future opportunities. I am working with people who tell me they wished they didn't use their name since there is a perception that customers must speak to the owner when something needs to be reviewed or questioned. Over time, you may want to hire estimators, project managers, etc., and their value can inadvertently be diminished when people clearly know they can speak to someone else to get what they want.

It works on the personalized side of growing the business, but can be harder as you want others to run certain areas of the business.

Good luck on your decision.

Brian

PS. Also ensure to check out Domain Names before finalizing your decision since sometimes that may restrict-change your decisions too.
Otto, Kiewit, Atkinson all world wide contractors with their name in the company title....

When I call a contractor I work with often I NEVER nor do I want to speak with the owner.....
Gilley (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 08:54 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Residential Builder / Carpenter
Rewards Points: 272

G & V? Giovanni Homes?
The Following User Says Thank You to dutchroots2 For This Useful Post:
Gilley (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
When I call a contractor I work with often I NEVER nor do I want to speak with the owner.....
Yes, but you are also seeing the world from a contractor's perspective.

The objective for the Original Poster is to see the world through his customer's perspective and from a Marketing Perspective too.

But without debating you on how a name may or may not be perceived from the customer's perspective, let me provide the original poster some more food for thought which I deal with "all the time" when helping businesses with their new or changing company, new websites and marketing campaigns, etc.

When using a personal name, the branding will grow over time, and if you ever want to sell the company it will put more stress on the opportunity since the purchaser may have a sensitivity to
1) not wanting the personal name, or
2) look to take the cost of re-branding the business image off the sales price as part of the negotiations

When using a personal name, this can be harder to split up the company if both partners have the same last name, and each wants to go their separate ways (for whatever the reasons), and both feel the original company grew mostly due to their majority of efforts.

When using a personal name, in the event of divorce, good luck since the soon-to-be-ex will be ripping apart (and sometimes rightfully so) the business since he-she will claim much more based on being associated via name too. I have even been aware of a successful woman who's husband did this too in an awkward manner, so it is not just a woman coming after the man reply. Its a 2-way street.

If I had more time I could even pass along other topics, but that would be counter-productive.

And finally, when forming my current business, I too was thinking about using my last name since there are clever marketing phrases I could use to coattail off my name. So I do agree about the impulse to consider one's name. But in the end I decided to be generic towards the industry without the need to use my name. I say this only because I understand the average inclination to build upon one's name, sometimes ego driven and sometimes not since it is a random thought, but the business can have an identity different from the owner's name. Hope it helps think this out for not just today, but many years out too.
Gilley (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: H.v.a.c.
Rewards Points: 3,322

No Problem, Homes.
Gilley (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #12
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,052

Griz, we can always count on you for a laugh. That sign image was a nice touch.

I ditto Brian's advice to consider domain name availability with any name chosen. The trick is to make it short and easy to remember, yet still be available.

I would also echo Brian's points not being based off personal opinion but experience with many real world situations. True, there are many large companies using their names successfully, but many also that do not so it's safe to call companies named after a person/persons to be the exception.

Due to the saturation of domain names already in use, many companies find clever ways to name the business with a misspelling and make it work. Houzz comes to mind.

BTW Gilley, welcome to CT.
The Following User Says Thank You to cbscreative For This Useful Post:
Gilley (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Renovations
Rewards Points: 1,634

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post

The account I use is CVS "so and so" , and I never knew what it stood for. Turns out it is Client are Very Special
If I had known that I probably wouldn't have given them a shot, regardless of their skill (which is amazing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 11:14 PM   #14
GC/carpenter

Trade: Decking, Railing, Carpenter/General Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,992

My company is MLW Construction. Nobody cares what the name is. I've found it doesn't really matter to much. Pick something that you can make an easily identifiable logo. A good logo is simple, imo.

Old 04-15-2017, 05:01 AM   #15
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 254

I would use your location and add Homes or Builders or Construction or House Development or Custom Homes. I would also work on a tagline like "Building Finest Homes" or "Luxury Custom Home Builder" - you should come up with something that's relevant. Of course, these two elements should be on your logo. Hire a designer and work with him/her and then adjust your copy with the visual solution. Visual may be even more important, more memorable to people. So this is not really just about the name.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:02 AM   #16

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 134

what makes your houses different than anyone else?.....is there something? if not its something you should think about and find something.....

if your only going to do new homes id consider putting the word HOMES at the end of your name...if you plan on doing remodeling too id put BUILDERS....BUILDERS is a bit more generic, but still sounds nice....

t a stupid name can hurt and a great name can help(most dont do either)....my name is nothing special(i chose it for internet searches), but im a plumber who works in a large area...i think using a county/city is not a good idea for a home builder.....one of my builders used his street name and it really sounds nice....one remodeler picked a area of his city that has a really nice name....because of it most of his work is in that area, but its full of old homes with endless remodels(thats his niche)

dont use your initials.....it lacks any thought and is a lost opportunity.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 1,264

When I started I had my last name in the business name. Then I got tired of listening to people try and stumble through my name when leaving a message or trying to mention the company I changed it

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2017, 11:53 AM   #18
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Pick something that you can make an easily identifiable logo. A good logo is simple, imo.
I agree, a good logo is simple, but arriving at simple is not necessarily easy. It's kind of like writing a short, simple (but highly effective) paragraph can be much more difficult than writing an entire page.

Let me put this another way to add perspective. Don't skimp on the effort required. Ask yourself, "What is the cost of failure?" Not getting it right is far more expensive. This consideration is too easily missed during the pain stage, but that pain is quickly forgotten when you succeed.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #19
Pro

Rewards Points: 1,852

I would say ask CT for help. Tons of people on here with graphic design, sign, and Sketchup skills.

IIRC, A & E had this forum crowdsource a logo for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #20

Trade: Marketing
Rewards Points: 20

MOTB mentioned something very important in the PS in his post, and that is to make sure a reasonable and easy domain name is available to match your business name.

This is a nice tool from Shopify to do that: https://www.shopify.com/tools/business-name-generator

Advertisement