Google Adwords Info....

Old 12-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #1

Trade: Windows & Doors
Rewards Points: 25

Google Adwords Info....

Can anyone tell me where I can find the best information on how to utilize Google Adwords campaigns?

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Google Adwords Info....

I answered a different thread and it landed here. Sorry.

Advertisement

Last edited by tinner666; 12-02-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:02 PM   #3

Thanks Tinn man... anyone else?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 554

Google Adwords has an extensive tutorial library with how-to information etc... It's quite helpful for a beginner.

If you want a really good Adwords resource consider Perry Marshall's material on Adwords. His eBook was very helpful for me when I first started utilizing adwords a few years ago.

Here is a link to an article I posted on here several weeks ago also discussing some adwords tips. Google Adwords Tips

Hope this helps!

Carl
Old 12-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #5

Trade: electrical contrator/ Biz Developer @ TheJujuList
Rewards Points: 75

Google adwords is a great tool for advertising as long as you know what you are doing. If not it can be a very costly one as well. I have actually done a few presentations on the subject and would be able to answer any of your questions you may have. I'm not sure how well you know the system so not sure what you need to know

Matt
Old 12-02-2008, 02:54 PM   #6

I did it once a while back and cut it off. I was getting hits from all over the country. I did some homework and it appears I am targeting my local searchers now.

I have had 17 hits in the last week and a half. I got one job and inqueries on 2 others that I am working on.

But could some of you give me some opinions on my website that I attached to the adwords campaign?

www.nevadawindowreplacement.com

Is it set up correctly or can I make some improvements?

Thanks to all.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:38 AM   #7

Trade: forman
Rewards Points: 10

I use a company to manage my adwords campaign. It made such a difference from me just trying to do it myself. I pay a small amount a week to them but I have saved such a lot of money actually on the adwords as all the phrases and adverts are optimised.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:34 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: seamless gutters
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyhicks View Post
I use a company to manage my adwords campaign. It made such a difference from me just trying to do it myself. I pay a small amount a week to them but I have saved such a lot of money actually on the adwords as all the phrases and adverts are optimised.

Who do you use? I looked for ever and couldnt find anyone.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricohio View Post
Google adwords is a great tool for advertising as long as you know what you are doing. If not it can be a very costly one as well. I have actually done a few presentations on the subject and would be able to answer any of your questions you may have. I'm not sure how well you know the system so not sure what you need to know

Matt
Matt

I am teaching myself how to use adwords and I feel I have been able to impact the local market in which I am after, I am getting an average of 3-4 hits a day and I have had some success.
My first question is: How can I keep my placement and great exposure with out incurring increasing cost from google. My budget is not that high and my clicks are now costing me over 5.00 a hit and of course that starts minimizing my exposure based on my daily budget? Is there a way to keep cost down and continue to stay alive with good placement and exposure?

Second question: If you have any experience with how the website that I attached to my google campaign should be designed? Could you take a look at my campaign site and let me know if I need to make any changes?

I tried to set it up like the google adword lead generatores have got theres set up for the consumer who is inquiring to want to get information . My phone number is listed in the site and I have received calls as opposed to them inputting their information which is fine by me. I'll take it anyway I can get it. But I am still learning about this and if you can offer some advise, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you Matt and everyone who is giving me advise,

Pat
Old 12-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: High Rise Caulk and Insulation
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRN View Post
My company is reletively new. I have worked in the lead generation field for a while but I have recently joined forces with a family member who has been in the construction business for quite sometime on his own. My site caters to the lead generation side on a more personal level than most of the others, but we do network with other contractors outside of the site as well. After all, the industry has been tough for us all and we can take all the help we can get. I am open to ideas on our site or how we can help in any way and vice versa - if we have a few industry questions can we bounce them off ya'll?

Thanks, Chadwick
Bring em on. There are couple more here that are well versed in what you are looking for.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:50 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
[How can I keep my placement and great exposure with out incurring increasing cost from google. My budget is not that high and my clicks are now costing me over 5.00 a hit and of course that starts minimizing my exposure based on my daily budget? Is there a way to keep cost down and continue to stay alive with good placement and exposure?]
The rise in price could be due to several factors. If you will show me a list of your keywords and your ads I will help you get it straight. If you do not feel comfortable putting out in public, you can Pm me. BUT, I can say with confidence that if you are paying 5 bucks per click, one of two things (maybe more) are taking place:

1-Your keywords, ad copy and site content are not considered relevant by Google and need to be corrected, or

2-Your competition is kicking your arse and you need to find a different way to compete with them (there are several ways to win with adwords)

Quote:
If you have any experience with how the website that I attached to my google campaign should be designed?
You are on the right track here, but it's more about content than design. Although design will help you convert visitors into clients (only one of many factors), content and being declared relevant by Google is what gets them there.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #12
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by snciwz8 View Post
Matt

I am teaching myself how to use adwords and I feel I have been able to impact the local market in which I am after, I am getting an average of 3-4 hits a day and I have had some success.
My first question is: How can I keep my placement and great exposure with out incurring increasing cost from google. My budget is not that high and my clicks are now costing me over 5.00 a hit and of course that starts minimizing my exposure based on my daily budget? Is there a way to keep cost down and continue to stay alive with good placement and exposure?

Second question: If you have any experience with how the website that I attached to my google campaign should be designed? Could you take a look at my campaign site and let me know if I need to make any changes?

I tried to set it up like the google adword lead generatores have got theres set up for the consumer who is inquiring to want to get information . My phone number is listed in the site and I have received calls as opposed to them inputting their information which is fine by me. I'll take it anyway I can get it. But I am still learning about this and if you can offer some advise, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you Matt and everyone who is giving me advise,

Pat
Your chosen keywords/terms are too broad if they are costing you 5 bucks a pop. In the better times this was ok and I did it myself. Now that competition is fierce and times are lean you need to be more specific on keywords or terms

ex>

Washington dc general contractor 5 bucks

Washington dc remodeling contractor 4 bucks.

Washington dc capitol hill contractor 3 bucks

Kitchen remodelers capitol hill 2 bucks.

Best kitchen remodeler on capitol hill .50 cents

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Second you can localize your adwords by choosing cities or areas. Some areas are cheaper than others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the time of day or night your adwords run effect the cost as well

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use negative keywords or phrases

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List your site in google local if it is not there already it will put you at the top of the page if you can get ranked/places locally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use mispelled keywords and terms. This is a big one that is often over looked

Contrator
Contrators
cotractors
contracter

etc

This might help a bit too

http://www.contractortalk.com/showth...ghlight=google

and this one

http://www.contractortalk.com/showth...t=google+local

Last edited by rbsremodeling; 12-15-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:23 PM   #13
Pro

From some incredibly informative training info:

Google Adwords is the world's most advanced Advertising Network and sets itself above any other due to the fact that it provides a level playing field for advertisers who are both highly advanced, and those that are very new with little experience. Google prides itself on providing quality search results when searches are done in the search engine (www.google.com). To offer high quality results, they have created an advertising network that rewards highly relevant ads with quality score points. Each Adwords campaign and ad group has Quality Score attached to it, and the higher your Quality Score, the better performance you will see. As your Quality Score increases, the price you pay per click on your keywords drop, the minimum bid price lowers, your ad placement positions increase, you get more traffic, and your ads are displayed more often.

Last edited by Ivinni; 12-15-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:25 PM   #14
Pro

Those are good techniques, RB. Did you learn by trial and error?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
Pro

Another tidbit:

Ad Effectiveness

The way you write your ad and the CTR your ad receives will greatly impact your Quality Score…it may, in fact, be the most visible influence. Google only gets paid when people click on your ads. Therefore they have made the ad click through ratio the key point in the Quality Score algorithm. The greater the CTR percentage, the lower your first page bids will be.
CTR is calculated using the following equation.
(Number of Ad Clicks / Number of Ad Views) x 100 = CTR
Example: (7 Ad Clicks / 120 Ad Views) x 100 = 5.8%
We have already discussed the best technique for writing quality and high CTR ads in lesson 4. If you follow these rules, you should be able to obtain high points for your ad quality.
Remember, include the keywords within your ad, offer a relevant display URL, and make your ad as different as you can from the other ads within the search results. As Jack Trout, one of the most famous strategists of our time would say, “Differentiate or Die”.
Follow these rules and you will have mastered the Ad Quality Score!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Pro

And two more:

Landing Page Relevance

Google was tired of being tricked with people’s ads, so they went a step further and started looking at their actual web pages. Although marketers were creating nice ad groups and highly relevant ads, once the visitor got onto their web page, they were disappointed because there was next to no relevance.
Because of this, Google implemented landing page Quality Score. This takes a few things into consideration. The first thing is the actual keyword relevance of the web page.
  • Are the keywords that the person searched on the web page?
  • Is there more than one instance of this keyword on the landing page?
If the answer is not yes to both of these, your Landing Page Quality Score will take a hit.
The next thing Google looks at is the supporting content. Is the surrounding content on your page relevant to the search term? If it is not, then your Quality Score will suffer.
Lastly, and the most common mistake, is having single-page landing pages. Google favors multi-page sites, so if you only have a one page landing page or squeeze page, then you will see a drop in Quality Score. At a bare minimum have 2-3 pages linked from your landing page to other relevant pages within YOUR site. This was explained in detail within the Landing Page Optimization lesson.
Follow these rules and you will have mastered the Landing Page Quality Score!
Account History

Have some things in the past that you would like to erase? C’mon, we are talking about your ad groups here (let’s not get personal). We have all created campaigns in the past that were not up to par with what we could have done, and unfortunately these campaigns have a negative impact on the way Google views your Adwords account.
If you had poor account QS in the past, Google starts to make assumptions. It no longer gives you the benefit of the doubt, and will automatically give you a low Quality Score when starting any new campaign. This may be in the form of high first page bid prices, slow ad approval, minimal ad exposure or low ad positioning.
On the flip side, if you have created some very good campaigns in the past, and have a high Quality Score, any new ad group you create, or keyword additions you have will assume a high Quality Score. This is very powerful, and if you have a high account Quality Score you will notice that your ads get approved instantly, with low first page bid prices and good ad positioning within the search results.
To make a long story short, build your campaigns with Account History in mind. If you build each and every ad group with Quality Score in mind, you will not regret it. A high account QS equates to power within the PPC world.
Google also realizes that advertisers learn, and become better over time. If you had poorly setup adgroups in the past, there is no need to go out and setup a new Adwords account. Google weights more recent activity and "Active" campaigns more heavily when determining your account Quality Score. It's never too late to start building your campaigns correctly. Google won't penalize you for your past mistakes forever.
Follow these rules and you will have mastered the Account Quality Score!
Also Consider: Page Loading Time

Page loading time is a variable that will impact your Quality Score negatively. If your page doesn’t load in less than 2 seconds, this will be bad thing for conversions and Google will not like you.
Slow loading times equate to unhappy customers, so make sure you have a good enough web host and not too much dynamic content or heavy images that will slow down your page. Page loading time will affect your Quality Score if it is too slow!
Old 12-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivinni View Post
Those are good techniques, RB. Did you learn by trial and error?
Yep the only way I know. I am a touch it, feel it, smell it kinda guy

Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #18

Trade: Roofing, Landscaping & Business Credit Coach
Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snciwz8 View Post
Can anyone tell me where I can find the best information on how to utilize Google Adwords campaigns?

Thanks
Adwords is definetly a hard nut to crack. Perry Marshall has a pretty good guide. "The Definitive Guide to Google AdWords". I have a review copy of it somewhere. Send me a PM and i will forward you a copy.

Advertisement

=> Discover how to get Business Lines of Credit ,Small Business Credit & Small Business Credit Cards for Your Contracting Business Without Using Your SSN...