Good Source For Leads ??

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #21
Member
 
woodyacd's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 94
Rewards Points: 252

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


allot of comments from "service providers "

no offense to all you guys responding who are " service providers"
your just spouting salesman rhetoric you`ve been taught to say .
nothing sounds authentic .

you can`t say its proven successful because you sold allot of it .

you have no idea what its like to actually drive to a clients home , and walk into their house.
how it is to assess the project at hand
how it is to " sell yourself "
who it is to read a clients face while your standing in their living room .

most of you have only done it by phone , or quick "talk"
that's fine
that's your trade .,

but most of what your selling is not as great as you make it sound .

that's why your making cold-calls
that's why your constantly chasing us all year long .
because the clients you have had signed on ,find out a year too late that they paid for very little .

just saying .
and not saying it angry

but you truly don`t have any idea that what you sell us works .
'
before you spout off all your success stories , facts

check out your own companies reviews online and hear what " we say about your company after we`ve paid for your service and you`ve handed us off to the next department.
most of you are there to hook us ,by phone , and then hand us off to the next department in your company ,
and we never hear from you again .

then you call back 3 years later , and say
" we`ve changed everything give us another chance .
we`fixed all those negative issues we had "

come on ..
woodyacd is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 04-16-2017, 02:41 AM   #22
Member
 
DanielLocalBiz's Avatar
 
Trade: Website Design & Marketing
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: South Africa
Posts: 32
Rewards Points: 64

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyacd View Post
allot of comments from "service providers "

no offense to all you guys responding who are " service providers"
your just spouting salesman rhetoric you`ve been taught to say .
nothing sounds authentic .

you can`t say its proven successful because you sold allot of it .

you have no idea what its like to actually drive to a clients home , and walk into their house.
how it is to assess the project at hand
how it is to " sell yourself "
who it is to read a clients face while your standing in their living room .

most of you have only done it by phone , or quick "talk"
that's fine
that's your trade .,

but most of what your selling is not as great as you make it sound .

that's why your making cold-calls
that's why your constantly chasing us all year long .
because the clients you have had signed on ,find out a year too late that they paid for very little .

just saying .
and not saying it angry

but you truly don`t have any idea that what you sell us works .
'
before you spout off all your success stories , facts

check out your own companies reviews online and hear what " we say about your company after we`ve paid for your service and you`ve handed us off to the next department.
most of you are there to hook us ,by phone , and then hand us off to the next department in your company ,
and we never hear from you again .

then you call back 3 years later , and say
" we`ve changed everything give us another chance .
we`fixed all those negative issues we had "

come on ..

From having experience as a contractor, I definitely know what it's like to visit a client, speak to them about the project and answer their questions. The biggest problem we had as a contractor company was getting in front of client with all the competitors around. Yes after you see them you can chat to them, try convince them to work with you. Your online presence is as important as the "sales document" you take to site.

I actually completely agree with what you are saying in a way. Most companies "sell you" on services and products that probably won't help you. Each contractor is different, but are often generalized.

I do disagree with your point about cold calls and "chasing", probably referring to mail lists and outbound email campaigns. It's like saying if any contractors does outreach sales, they are just trying to get infront of a potential client, but aren't going to do their job properly.

From a personal stand point, I'm not looking to make any sales here. If I can give some people advise on what to do, and help them better their business by themselves, I'm a happy man! I've worked with local and national contractors for the past 2 years and my only goal has been to improve their business because I know what it's like on the other side of that call. I call them, I wrap the deal and I keep in contact with you. 100% personal, they have my personal and work contact details. That's what we needed as contractors but never got.

I take it you have had experiences before that weren't great.
__________________
Daniel
localbizonline.co.za
Website design and marketing for contractors
DanielLocalBiz is offline  
Old 04-16-2017, 06:51 PM   #23
Member
 
woodyacd's Avatar
 
Trade: remodeling
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 94
Rewards Points: 252

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


I have .
sorry

didn`t mean to sound like a sour-grapes guy

I get so many calls during the week.
most say basically the same thing ,

most are calling from another state or even country
most are trying to talk me into paying for leads .
most leads are not undesirable parts of town , or from the wrong demographic .

or creating a website.
you are not going to create something for me from another state , you don't know my city.
you don`t have a handle on what works in my area .

or some new obscure way to get new clients .

for one , I won`t hire , or give a credit card to someone in another city , who I haven't met face to face . I just won`t trust you .

I`m totally gun-shy after falling for the Home Advisers
and
Handyman Connection , and clones .

I`ve put out good money trying them in the past.

I still wholeheartedly believe that advertising is important , but there`s so many scammers out there , I just don`t trust most.

you know a smart ,considerate business owner , can do allot on their own,

collect emails for every client .
over the years , I`ve accumulated way over 1000 emails.
if I`m ever slow , I just randomly send out 200 or so quick emails saying :
" hey , I`m still out here ,hope alls well . here's a pic of a project we did lately , call us if you need us ."
its not to invasive.


call , designers and architects .

call tradesman related to your field
as a carpenter contractor ,back in the day , I`d call painters , and plumbers , and electricians , and designers .
let them know what I did.

be authentically friendly with your suppliers.
I`ve been going to the same lumber yard in my town for over 25 years
they have over 100 employees.
I stop and talk to allot of them , and get to know them personally. because I like them
now , they know I`m a fair guy , and a handful refer me.

but basically , it comes down to how you were brought up.
if you treat people fair , because that's how you were raised , it`ll show
. people that , and they will stick by you , and refer you.
even if you pay an advertiser , it still boils down to you .
woodyacd is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 11:41 AM   #24
Non-conformist
 
cbscreative's Avatar
 
Trade: Builder of businesses
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,530
Rewards Points: 1,108

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


As a service provider who hasn't posted in this thread until now, woodyacd's comments couldn't have been directed at me except for the generalization to us SP's as a whole.

I can see where you're coming from, woodyacd, but to group us in with those bogus calls you get is a bit of a stretch. I can't speak for all SP's, but I doubt very many of any engage in telemarketing. I for one hate that as much as anyone and I can say with certainty that any call you get about web design, SEO, and the like is a scam. People and companies that really know what they are doing don't have to call you and they won't unless it's a referral to follow up on.

I would challenge your advice/position to deal only with a local company, particularly for web design. A local person may or may not be genuinely qualified and for a lot of the very reasons you stated. Do they really understand your industry? Can they create a web presentation that stimulates phone calls? Maybe, maybe not. Someone who is good at this can make it happen in any market whether they live there or not. Most of my clients are not local and none of my contractor clients are so far.

However, since you may not know me yet (I don't recall meeting you on the boards until now), one reason I specialize in contractors is I do understand your market and have been working with contractors since I started my first company doing signs in 1986. Since you are a remodeler, I not only understand your perspective, I've personally done in home sales, and as a HO myself, every site I create for contractors is from the perspective of those whom they are marketing to. That is sadly missing from most contractor sites which is why the results can be so disappointing.

I'll openly admit, when I create a web site, it won't sell anything. You still have to do that. All I can do is create a presentation that provides more opportunities for you to sit down at the table with HO's. That's another way of following up the OP and saying your web site had better be a good source for leads.
__________________
Steve Chittenden (aka cbscreative)
Web/SEO geek, artist, writer... but don't ask me for tool advice.
cbscreative is offline  
Old 04-20-2017, 05:19 PM   #25
Registered User
 
Dnice2012's Avatar
 
Trade: Painter / Decorative Painter
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodStuff View Post
I have Homeadvisor for when I'm desperate for leads, but if I relied on them for my business I would go broke. Most lead services (I've used many through the years) give the customer information to 3 other contractors and I find the vast majority of the customers to be tire kickers. I am actually landing 1 out of 10 leads... averaging $550.00 per job in lead cost with them... This past year I have enriched my website and plan to turn on Adwords or another form of advertising to drive the business my way instead of paying someone else for their advertising efforts.
funny , I am having the same problem as you .
Out of the 10 leads I only scored one job with home advisor . All the garbage people here in Staten Island believe I am expensive because in my website I have high end decorative murals . I tried to make my website as cheap as possible to at least attract the middle class . But the only luck I had was in Manhattan and upper middle class in Staten Island . I removed Staten Island from Home Advisor , and I am only using them for Manhattan .

For Google Adwords I am new with it , and I lost 1,000$ . But I watched videos and I learned how to add negative keywords in order to filter out customers I do not want .


I am disgusted with these cheap customers that chose price over quality . One women yesterday from a Homeadvisor lead told me she got a painter to paint her room for 99$ . **** you


And all these people posting here are fake , such as the first poster and the porch ****
Dnice2012 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Dnice2012 For This Useful Post:
Tomislav (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:20 PM   #26
Registered User
 
Dnice2012's Avatar
 
Trade: Painter / Decorative Painter
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 3
Rewards Points: 6

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyacd View Post
allot of comments from "service providers "

no offense to all you guys responding who are " service providers"
your just spouting salesman rhetoric you`ve been taught to say .
nothing sounds authentic .

you can`t say its proven successful because you sold allot of it .

you have no idea what its like to actually drive to a clients home , and walk into their house.
how it is to assess the project at hand
how it is to " sell yourself "
who it is to read a clients face while your standing in their living room .

most of you have only done it by phone , or quick "talk"
that's fine
that's your trade .,

but most of what your selling is not as great as you make it sound .

that's why your making cold-calls
that's why your constantly chasing us all year long .
because the clients you have had signed on ,find out a year too late that they paid for very little .

just saying .
and not saying it angry

but you truly don`t have any idea that what you sell us works .
'
before you spout off all your success stories , facts

check out your own companies reviews online and hear what " we say about your company after we`ve paid for your service and you`ve handed us off to the next department.
most of you are there to hook us ,by phone , and then hand us off to the next department in your company ,
and we never hear from you again .

then you call back 3 years later , and say
" we`ve changed everything give us another chance .
we`fixed all those negative issues we had "

come on ..
we share the same problems my friend, 99% of people are scammers, and garbage
Dnice2012 is offline  
Old 04-25-2017, 10:21 PM   #27
Registered User
 
50Stairman's Avatar
 
Trade: Custom Stairs and Rails
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 4

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


I agree with the service(not so)magic and homeadvisor scams. I've used them when they were young and actually helping my business, (mostly because I was one of the first in my area to use it), but now they're a joke. And it was that bad experience that made me do some homework and figure out how to get clients myself. So, I started a website (free) and started taking photos of my work and posting them on my site. Now the leads don't stop, and most weeks I get way too many to respond to them all. I get 4-5-6 calls a day sometimes. And that allows me to pick and choose the jobs I really want, and allows me to raise my prices because I only work with the folks who really want to work with me and are thrilled that they found me online. We're not a big outfit, right now it's me and 2 helpers and another guy just called from another company and asked for a job and is talking about jumping in next few weeks. We're not a big company, but I need lots of leads for my line of work (we complete@ 65-80 jobs per year) I'm going to be hosting a webinar soon where we pull back the curtain and show how we do it if anyone's interested.
50Stairman is offline  
Old 04-26-2017, 06:29 AM   #28
Pro
 
NJ Contractor's Avatar
 
Trade: General and Electrical Contractor
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 284
Rewards Points: 1,362

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


Quote:
Originally Posted by 50Stairman View Post
I agree with the service(not so)magic and homeadvisor scams. I've used them when they were young and actually helping my business, (mostly because I was one of the first in my area to use it), but now they're a joke. And it was that bad experience that made me do some homework and figure out how to get clients myself. So, I started a website (free) and started taking photos of my work and posting them on my site. Now the leads don't stop, and most weeks I get way too many to respond to them all. I get 4-5-6 calls a day sometimes. And that allows me to pick and choose the jobs I really want, and allows me to raise my prices because I only work with the folks who really want to work with me and are thrilled that they found me online. We're not a big outfit, right now it's me and 2 helpers and another guy just called from another company and asked for a job and is talking about jumping in next few weeks. We're not a big company, but I need lots of leads for my line of work (we complete@ 65-80 jobs per year) I'm going to be hosting a webinar soon where we pull back the curtain and show how we do it if anyone's interested.
I fear you may be another charlatan.

How about sharing your website to prove otherwise?
NJ Contractor is offline  
Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #29
Pro
 
JBM's Avatar
 
Trade: Masonry
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mass.
Posts: 6,913
Rewards Points: 1,746

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyacd View Post
I have .
sorry

didn`t mean to sound like a sour-grapes guy

I get so many calls during the week.
most say basically the same thing ,

most are calling from another state or even country
most are trying to talk me into paying for leads .
most leads are not undesirable parts of town , or from the wrong demographic .
nomorobo.com, my phone has no spam calls at all.
__________________
JBM is online now  
Old 04-26-2017, 08:35 AM   #30
Registered User
 
TreesLogan's Avatar
 
Trade: Arborist
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Logan UT
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 8

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


wow lots of high emotions here. I just moved to my business full time I did pay a local company to build me a website it was decently priced from a friend I think he did good work. I am playing with google adwords losing money as of now but it is getting better. Anyone have luck with facebook adds?
TreesLogan is offline  
Old 04-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #31
Pro
 
SectorSecurity's Avatar
 
Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario
Posts: 3,428
Rewards Points: 1,574

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


Some have some don't depends on what you are advertising.

I haven't had much luck with them but for a dollar a day it's getting my name out there.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
SectorSecurity is online now  
Old 04-26-2017, 11:24 PM   #32
Registered User
 
ockitchenking's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 2

Re: Good Source For Leads ??


Have you thought about investing the time to build a simple website and get it ranked in google with some simple SEO?
This is what I did. It took a few weeks of effort, but the phone rings steady now. 1-2 calls per day.
Are you familiar with how to set up your company on "google My business" ? It's what they call the maps 3-pack. If you can get ranked good in there you will always be on the first page. It's fairly simple with a little effort.

Advertisement

ockitchenking is offline  

Tags
contracting , leads , marketing , roofing


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a good source to buy equipment/machinery faromic Tools & Equipment 5 10-19-2013 08:45 AM
Anyone Have A Good Source For Oddball Hardware? Seven-Delta-FortyOne Finish Carpentry 2 07-24-2013 06:44 AM
Business has been good Californiadecks Decks & Fencing 18 01-17-2013 07:05 PM
good source for work wear Rich D. Tools & Equipment 26 02-03-2012 03:29 PM
Cheaper source for good brass knife hinges ? karma_carpentry Finish Carpentry 3 12-17-2005 09:15 AM

Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?