Finding Good Subs?

Old 07-05-2017, 12:08 PM   #1

Trade: All Trades
Rewards Points: 22

Finding Good Subs?

Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to the board, however have been trying to search and dig up answers the best I can.

Question for you all, what has been the best method you have been finding to get good subs that isn't word of mouth, craigslist, or Google searches.

I'm finding that word of mouth is always the best in getting good guys, Google is a crap shoot, and Craigslist just opens the door for me to get burned.

I'm getting work from my clients in at such a rapid pace, we're having challenges loading up our vendor bench faster than the work coming in. I've tried posting up here, but not a lot of time has gone by...maybe I'm just too impatient?

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks guys!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2017, 04:30 PM   #2

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 68

Re: Finding Good Subs?

Referrals from other subs or the lumberyard/supplier is how I usually do it. We may have one or two that were also met down at the local watering hole

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 274

you know you could look on places like "Angieslist"
all those contractors were put on there by customers ,( of course once your on angieslist , they can up their advertising ,
. and you can see reviews on them.
I`ve looked in " The Bluebook" also
I agree with asking suppliers .
or even competitors. its best to know some of your competitors anyway .
call some who target areas away from yours , and ask.
couldn`t hurt

Old 08-02-2017, 10:32 PM   #4
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 3,490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonailz View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm brand new to the board, however have been trying to search and dig up answers the best I can.

Question for you all, what has been the best method you have been finding to get good subs that isn't word of mouth, craigslist, or Google searches.

I'm finding that word of mouth is always the best in getting good guys, Google is a crap shoot, and Craigslist just opens the door for me to get burned.

I'm getting work from my clients in at such a rapid pace, we're having challenges loading up our vendor bench faster than the work coming in. I've tried posting up here, but not a lot of time has gone by...maybe I'm just too impatient?

Thanks guys!

Perhaps you are bidding work too cheap.....

Acquiring and keeping good subs does not happen overnight.

You being overloaded with work will translate to a hurry the f##k up attitude to a sub. They will not like it.

When trying to establish a reputation/relationship with a sub leave money out of the conversation....

Good ones, like help, are not gonna be cheap....

The old adage....if you have to ask...you can't afford it....
overanalyze (08-02-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 12:05 AM   #5
Shingler extraordinaire

Trade: Roofing, Framing, siding, decks
Rewards Points: 9,222

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks guys!
Where in Michigan are you, and what kind of subs are you looking for?
Old 08-03-2017, 06:29 AM   #6
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 4,472

Quote:

Thanks guys!
Good luck with that. MI has an extreme shortfall of const workers. You can land the contracts, but you have the same problem as everybody else when it comes to trades.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-05-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&E Exteriors View Post
Where in Michigan are you, and what kind of subs are you looking for?
Mu office is just outside of Detroit, however I'm looking for good subs in every major city in all 50 states.

I agree with griz about not discussing $$$. What I'm looking for is quality, not the cheapest guy on the block that's going to cut corners, miss deadlines and embarrass me with my customers.

When I first started in this business, one of the "old timers" once said to me..."You got 3 things to look at, good, cheap, and fast. Pick 2". Funny how 20 years later that statement still holds true.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonailz For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-05-2017), pathbuilder (08-03-2017), SmallTownGuy (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 4,472

Quote:
Mu office is just outside of Detroit, however I'm looking for good subs in every major city in all 50 states.

I agree with griz about not discussing $$$. What I'm looking for is quality, not the cheapest guy on the block that's going to cut corners, miss deadlines and embarrass me with my customers.

When I first started in this business, one of the "old timers" once said to me..."You got 3 things to look at, good, cheap, and fast. Pick 2". Funny how 20 years later that statement still holds true.
I remember you now. Your located on a service drive in Ypsi.

You already know the score in commercial.

Your competitors are fronting money for illegals to 1099 those commercial cleaning & rehab contracts.

Just the way it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
kirkdc (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownGuy View Post

Your competitors are fronting money for illegals to 1099 those commercial cleaning & rehab contracts.

Just the way it is.
Yup that's me.

That's just the tip of the iceberg that my competitors are doing. They are bringing illegals for the janitorial, along with the skilled trades as well. They're out doing work without licences and pulling permits, leaving the customers holding the bag when the happy inspector shows up.

On the trade side, these guys (when they actually hire good trades) are promising the skilled guys payment at net 30, racking up thousands of dollars in work, taking payment from the customers, then disappearing off the face of the earth. Then they open another company under someone elses name....just to go out and screw the next guy.

Doesn't make my life any easier, it's a real hard sell to bring in good crews with all that going on too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonailz For This Useful Post:
kodie (08-05-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 07:33 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Electrical Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,530

Quote:

Just the way it is.
Around here, maintenance services are a race to the bottom. Your quote is absolutely correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to cwatbay For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (08-04-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 11:10 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodel/Handyman
Rewards Points: 786

Quote:
Yup that's me.

That's just the tip of the iceberg that my competitors are doing. They are bringing illegals for the janitorial, along with the skilled trades as well. They're out doing work without licences and pulling permits, leaving the customers holding the bag when the happy inspector shows up.

On the trade side, these guys (when they actually hire good trades) are promising the skilled guys payment at net 30, racking up thousands of dollars in work, taking payment from the customers, then disappearing off the face of the earth. Then they open another company under someone elses name....just to go out and screw the next guy.

Doesn't make my life any easier, it's a real hard sell to bring in good crews with all that going on too.

You ain't see nothing yet. Come to CO and see the invasion.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #12
New Guy

Trade: Residential Rehab & Web/SEO Digital Marketing
Rewards Points: 96

Quote:
...Question for you all, what has been the best method you have been finding to get good subs that isn't word of mouth, craigslist, or Google searches.
~
Have you tried BRAG? Even attending as a guest over the years, I've come away with a few good contacts to exchange referrals with from time to time.

Quote:
Good luck with that. MI has an extreme shortfall of const workers. You can land the contracts, but you have the same problem as everybody else when it comes to trades.
Ditto what he said. Every time I talk to my contractor clients, they say the same thing. Reliability has been a big issue too - in the last couple years every single one has had at least one or two people they've hired & got up to speed who then up and vanished.

Advertisement