Email Marketing

Old 06-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Carpenter/Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,484

Email Marketing

Hey guys

Wondering if anyone has ever tried increasing leads and conversions by doing the whole "subscribe for updates" thing or "get your free guide for your email address" thing and if so how well did it work?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
New Guy

Trade: Pest Control
Rewards Points: 80

Re: Email Marketing

I was also looking to do this, i will post and update on how it goes buddy!

972-217-2527​
Your Neighborhood Pest Control
1313 Brittany Lane
Arlington, TX 76013

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #3

Trade: Apparatus Contractor Services
Rewards Points: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Hey guys

Wondering if anyone has ever tried increasing leads and conversions by doing the whole "subscribe for updates" thing or "get your free guide for your email address" thing and if so how well did it work?
Hi SamM,

I'm going to assume you have a website if you're thinking of offering a guide for an email opt-in and go from there. Setting up a mailing list is a great marketing move for any business, no matter how small. The main purpose of attracting those email leads is so you know who in your jurisdiction MIGHT be interested in the services you offer. From there, you deliver them great educational/interesting information until they're ready for your service. Keeping them on the line, so to speak.

My best piece of advice for an offer (guide, how-to, newsletter, etc) is to make it about the customer, NOT about your business. Think "How To XYZ as presented by SamM Co." rather than "Why You Should Use SamM Co. For Your Next Project!" You want your guide/bait to appeal to the largest possible audience.

A sneaky idea is to take a service that you perform REALLY well, that homeowners are often attempting on their own. "How To Install X in 7 Steps". This will attract attention, and provide honest information that could make them realize wow, they're better off calling you than trying to figure all this out.

Providing useful information to potential clients is the best thing you can do - you're setting yourself up to them as a dependable, reliable resource who they're likely to reach out to when they're in need.

Erin

Old 10-11-2017, 01:06 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Estimator
Rewards Points: 802

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Hey guys

That's called a lead magnet and that's the ONLY way you should be generating leads.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #5

Trade: Heating and Cooling
Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Craig View Post
That's called a lead magnet and that's the ONLY way you should be generating leads.
Why the only way? What about for people who are just starting? What do you think is the best way to get leads?
Old 10-20-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Specialty Structure Aluminum
Rewards Points: 473

Lead magnets and email marketing aren't worth the time for nearly all contractors except for very large scale operations... at which point you'd have a marketing guy on staff.

Online content blog style is great but packaging it into something to get an email address is just dumb. If they absorb your content, need your service, they'll call you. You don't need to bait them for the lead.

If re-marketing is what you're looking for, I'd look towards Facebook. Its hella a lot easier and far more effective then doing an email campaign.
Facebook Business Owner Support Group (over $1 million revenue): Right now its just me and my close circle of mostly home service biz owners talking about growing our businesses, and dealing with the frustration of not having anyone to tell us "good job" at the end of the day. Feel free to join!
Old 11-01-2017, 09:48 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnw View Post
Why the only way? What about for people who are just starting? What do you think is the best way to get leads?
Because if your doing your marketing right you can turn all those subscribers into buyer in a very short period of time. All your competition are targeting the very very small percentage of people who are ready to do the job now with ads like " call us today for a free estimate"

If you set up a lead magnet and funnel properly your going to be getting all of the people who are ready to do the job now, but your also going to be getting everyone else in the area on your email list and convert them into buyers.

It doesn't matter If your a new company you should have a lead funnel set up. Most people dont know how to set up a funnel right and dont know what to do with the people on their email list to turn them into buyers.

If you know the funnel process you can start converting people into buyers that weren't already thinking of starting there project right away within days of getting them on your list.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowork View Post
Lead magnets and email marketing aren't worth the time for nearly all contractors except for very large scale operations... at which point you'd have a marketing guy on staff.

Online content blog style is great but packaging it into something to get an email address is just dumb. If they absorb your content, need your service, they'll call you. You don't need to bait them for the lead.

If re-marketing is what you're looking for, I'd look towards Facebook. Its hella a lot easier and far more effective then doing an email campaign.
no one said anything about writing blogs. I wouldn't recommend that to start. What i would recommend is running a Facebook ad to an opt in page with a lead magnet, getting all those people on an email list, converting the serious buyers right away and turning the rest of the people into buyers in the next couple of days to weeks.

if you know how to set up a lead funnel properly its by far the most effective way to generate new business.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:31 PM   #9

Trade: Heating and Cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Craig View Post
Because if your doing your marketing right you can turn all those subscribers into buyer in a very short period of time. All your competition are targeting the very very small percentage of people who are ready to do the job now with ads like " call us today for a free estimate"

If you set up a lead magnet and funnel properly your going to be getting all of the people who are ready to do the job now, but your also going to be getting everyone else in the area on your email list and convert them into buyers.

It doesn't matter If your a new company you should have a lead funnel set up. Most people dont know how to set up a funnel right and dont know what to do with the people on their email list to turn them into buyers.

If you know the funnel process you can start converting people into buyers that weren't already thinking of starting there project right away within days of getting them on your list.
Wow, thanks for the information. I looked into setting up an email funnel and it seems like Mailchimp is easy? Have you tried them? Thanks.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnw View Post
Wow, thanks for the information. I looked into setting up an email funnel and it seems like Mailchimp is easy? Have you tried them? Thanks.
i've only used the free version of mailchimp along time ago. I use Aweber and i think its the best. I think when you sign up your get 30 days free and then its like $19 a month after that.

That main thing with email marketing is you want to be sending emails with a purpose of leading them somewhere and not just sending emails to send them. Get them to take action. I convert alot of people that opt into my list within 7 days of them opting in. Alot of people think it takes a long time but it doesn't.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #11
New Guy

Trade: millwork
Rewards Points: 46

Most small businesses like yours and mine don't need mailchimp to manage this. I do custom stairs and the email lead pool is never any bigger than a couple hundred. It is easy enough to just end emails out directly on a schedule from a short sheet. Not saying mail chimp or something isn't useful, just not necessary. Anyone else agree? I'm curious.

Ron
Quality Custom Interiors
Old 11-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #12

Trade: Right Now - www.rightnowcleaning.com

in my opinion, it is helpful, a good marketing tool to implement... but not a must... it is a nice to have but not a must have...
Old 11-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenRight View Post
in my opinion, it is helpful, a good marketing tool to implement... but not a must... it is a nice to have but not a must have...
There's definitely other ways to get leads. Canvassing works, cold calling works, ect but if you want to get leads online it's ABSOLUTELY a must.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #14

Trade: painting & flooring
Rewards Points: 120

It never really worked for us. Most the time our eblasts would go in spam folders. We were using iContact. Easy to use, but if the emails are going in spam folders, then it's not worth it.

Advertisement