Do You Pay For Yelp? Results

Old 01-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #1

Trade: plumber
Rewards Points: 52

Do You Pay For Yelp? Results

when i do good searches for keywords i notice yelp comes up a lot for my competitors on page 1..they are listed multiple times on page one and yelp is there...i do not pay for yelp...should i be?

how much and what results do you see?

i have 1 yelp review and see 0 to 1 search per month on yelp when i get my monthly statement from them....makes me think no one uses yelp?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #2
Remodelingologist

Trade: Decks/Remodeling
Rewards Points: 282

Re: Do You Pay For Yelp? Results

Completely filling out your profile is a good idea but you're unlikely to be happy with the results of the paid marketing. You'll most likely get more leads by putting that money towards some well-done Adwords.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EthanB For This Useful Post:
CampbellRoofing (01-11-2017), JDCPensacola (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #3
Rick's Roofing, EST 2016.

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 58

Have heard a lot of horror stories regarding yelp, including extortion to some extent to remove bad reviews... however, it's still a good idea to at least get listed on it for free. Check out this article on setting up yelp as a contractor. It's worth it at least to sign up for the free directories that get your name on the map. They can also be good signals for google for your website's organic ranking.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:43 PM   #4

im there and even got 1 review....ive noticed some of my competitors are getting their yelp page on page 1 for good search terms...so they get their own website and then their yelp on page 1.....the more x's your name comes up on page 1 the better.....i am assuming these guys are paying to advertise

putting $1,000 into web advertising a month to make something happen...mostly doing facebook and tweaking my website..i rank high and always on page 1...but it would be nice to be on page 1 2x's
Old 01-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
Remodelingologist

If you're spending $1000 a month then I would strongly consider getting a PPC manager to handle your PPC(Adwords, FB and retargeting) and build some customer landing pages for you and devote your own efforts to increasing the content on your site yourself. Depending on your service area, you could be turning that $1000 into around 300 good clicks a month. I'm not sure what your conversion rate on clicks is so that's important info but I'd hope you could get 15-20 calls a month off that.

If your area is very competitive then it would be a good idea to target a lower volume search that is more cost effective and focus on that(e.g. "water filter leak" instead of "plumber").

Putting all your eggs in the PPC basket isn't a great long-term strategy but it can help bump traffic right away. If you're consistently writing good content, even a page or two a month, you'll be well positioned for long term growth or be able to taper off the PPC if you're happy with your volume.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #6
Rick's Roofing, EST 2016.

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by battering ram View Post
im there and even got 1 review....ive noticed some of my competitors are getting their yelp page on page 1 for good search terms...so they get their own website and then their yelp on page 1.....the more x's your name comes up on page 1 the better.....i am assuming these guys are paying to advertise

putting $1,000 into web advertising a month to make something happen...mostly doing facebook and tweaking my website..i rank high and always on page 1...but it would be nice to be on page 1 2x's
I'd probably focus more on getting Google Listings to show you higher... perhaps getting some good reviews on there will help?
Old 01-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #7
Remodelingologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickRoofing View Post
I'd probably focus more on getting Google Listings to show you higher... perhaps getting some good reviews on there will help?
This is definitely true and it doesn't cost a cent. Be a pitbull about getting customers to leave you reviews on Google, Yelp and Facebook and you'll get better search traffic, even if Yelp is ranking for those terms.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #8

i am #1 on google maps and #3 on organic search for my CITY and the word PLUMBER or PLUMBING......i have been #1 organically at one point

i am also on page one organically under important keywords like CITY and the words WATER HEATER or GAS PIPING.......so i feel my web designer has done a good job....i had 4 landing pages but let the domain names go as they never went anywhere....i started on page 3 and never got ahead, most went down to page 4..wasnt worth the $10 each to keep them alive....the original idea was to use them for ADWORDS...but then i found out the competition is so strong you'd never make any $$

right now im getting 4-8 jobs a month off my website....i dont do drain cleaning and probably turn away 4-8 drain cleaning jobs a month from the website also....my goal is to double things to 8-16 jobs a month...if i can do this it will easily pay the $1,000 a month plan....

my website is approx 2 years old, so he is tweaking it also....i dont want to handle it myself...i want to pay someone to manage it...just need to see results and ill keep things going

www.waukeshaplumbing.com
Old 01-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #9

my goal is to have my name show up multiple times on page one...not just 1x or 2x....some of my competition has been able to do this and YELP is one of those times.....so i assume they are paying YELP?

i have 4 google reviews.....which is more than most of my comptetion

reviews are hard to come by for a plumber....you can ask for them when someone goes on and on how happy they are with you, but seldom do they follow through....i still ask once in a while, but its almost hopeless....if they want to do it they will..
Old 01-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 728

I dont want anyone to see my yelp page when looking for a mason. I want them to see my website.

The only time I want a lead from yelp is if they are searching inside of yelp for me. Which never would happen.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Quote:
i am #1 on google maps and #3 on organic search for my CITY and the word PLUMBER or PLUMBING......i have been #1 organically at one point

i am also on page one organically under important keywords like CITY and the words WATER HEATER or GAS PIPING.......so i feel my web designer has done a good job....i had 4 landing pages but let the domain names go as they never went anywhere....i started on page 3 and never got ahead, most went down to page 4..wasnt worth the $10 each to keep them alive....the original idea was to use them for ADWORDS...but then i found out the competition is so strong you'd never make any $$

right now im getting 4-8 jobs a month off my website....i dont do drain cleaning and probably turn away 4-8 drain cleaning jobs a month from the website also....my goal is to double things to 8-16 jobs a month...if i can do this it will easily pay the $1,000 a month plan....

my website is approx 2 years old, so he is tweaking it also....i dont want to handle it myself...i want to pay someone to manage it...just need to see results and ill keep things going

www.waukeshaplumbing.com
I'm located in the town of waukesha and just typed plumbers waukesha. Here is what shows up, so you know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #12

just typed in -Plumbers Waukesha- and im #1 on the map

google right?

Reviews & Ratings Make an Appointment Contractors & Builders
Search Results
Map of plumbers waukeshamap expand icon
Hours
Waukesha Plumbing
4 reviews Plumber
Mukwonago, WI (262) 224-8377
Open until 11:00 PM
WEBSITE
Schoenwalder Plumbing Inc
(7) Plumber
Waukesha, WI (262) 542-7908
Open until 5:00 PM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Cox Plumbing Co, Inc.
(6) Plumber
Waukesha, WI (262) 542-6921
Open until 4:30 PM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #13
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 344

Battering ram. Weren't you the one who would make his helpers carry a water heater down stairs by himself couple years ago ?
Name used to be tree hugger or something lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by NYgutterguy; 01-13-2017 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #14

Yep--couldnt reactivate my huggytree password(they wouldnt send me an email to reset), so i started a new account...

and yes i make my employee's carry my water heaters down by them selves......actually i do more heaters by myself lately than when i have my part time helpes with me......so i carry them 1 man all the time...i hire a guy just to carry my tools and heavy stuff...

back for some advice, but i see all sales advice is mostly(mostly/not all) web designers looking for work and not actual construction guys who can help me
Old 01-13-2017, 06:20 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Remodel Contractor
Rewards Points: 692

Quote:
just typed in -Plumbers Waukesha- and im #1 on the map

google right?

Reviews & Ratings Make an Appointment Contractors & Builders
Search Results
Map of plumbers waukeshamap expand icon
Hours
Waukesha Plumbing
4 reviews Plumber
Mukwonago, WI (262) 224-8377
Open until 11:00 PM
WEBSITE
Schoenwalder Plumbing Inc
(7) Plumber
Waukesha, WI (262) 542-7908
Open until 5:00 PM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Cox Plumbing Co, Inc.
(6) Plumber
Waukesha, WI (262) 542-6921
Open until 4:30 PM
WEBSITE
DIRECTIONS
Make sure your browser is in private mode before searching for more accurate results. Otherwise google will show you results based on YOUR browsing history instead of someone who's never been to your website before.
also: I just did a search and you didn't come up in the top 3 map results but you were #4 (page 1) in organic results

Last edited by dsconstructs; 01-13-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: add to comment
Old 01-13-2017, 06:31 PM   #16
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 344

Quote:
Yep--couldnt reactivate my huggytree password(they wouldnt send me an email to reset), so i started a new account...

and yes i make my employee's carry my water heaters down by them selves......actually i do more heaters by myself lately than when i have my part time helpes with me......so i carry them 1 man all the time...i hire a guy just to carry my tools and heavy stuff...

back for some advice, but i see all sales advice is mostly(mostly/not all) web designers looking for work and not actual construction guys who can help me

Welcome back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
You are not #1 for anything right now, you must be looking while you're logged into your Google account and not searching incognito? I just used a proxy out of Wisconsin and did a quick search for "plumber waukesha" and you are #11 in maps. You won't get the call volume you want when you're ranked that far back. You were #4 organically for "plumber waukesha" which is secondary to your places listing as a plumber.

Quote:
my goal is to have my name show up multiple times on page one...not just 1x or 2x....some of my competition has been able to do this and YELP is one of those times.....so i assume they are paying YELP?
If that is your goal then your web guy should be talking to you about schema implementation for "Plumber", building citations, acquiring backlinks (especially local) and new content for your targeted keywords.

There is no secret trick... Just many fundamentals you or your web guy aren't paying attention too.

Quote:
i have 4 google reviews.....which is more than most of my comptetion
Several of your competitors have more reviews than you... The big difference is they have 5+ so they have the stars showing in their listings. You are only 1 review away from getting your 5 stars to show which would help your listing get noticed.

Quote:
If it's 2 years old and not producing the results you expect maybe it's time to revisit the strategy your web guy is employing or not employing?
The Following User Says Thank You to carlsore For This Useful Post:
BamBamm5144 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Not trying to argue waukesha plumber, just saying what I see and I am located in the town.

My site ranks pretty well for waukesha keywords. You should call Carl.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2017, 11:13 PM   #19

i am logged in....didnt know that made a difference...thought what i see is what others see....

ill have to bring this up with him

i havent put anything really into my website for 2 years now....so that ive decided to go after service more i am putting together a plan....right now focusing on facebook advertising for water heaters...seeing what happens...

thanks for teaching me something....not the news i wanted to hear!!!
Old 01-14-2017, 01:03 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: Internet Marketer
Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
thanks for teaching me something....not the news i wanted to hear!!!
Oh, there is more bad news. Your theme is now really going to hold you back. We talked about this a couple years ago and you didn't want to change it then. Themeforest themes are notoriously slow and bloated and shocoon is no exception. It hasn't been updated since early 2014 and with only 400 or so downloads total it likely won't ever be updated again... Meanwhile Wordpress (the engine behind your site) has had several updates since then. To spend more money "tweaking" would be like setting the money on fire at this point.

Thankfully you are in Wordpress so most of your content (which is fine) can be imported into something fresh and better supported, aside from what content was built using the AquaBuilder plugin I see you're running, that might cause some layout quirks.

Using a better Wordpress framework you could still have a site that literally looked almost identical if you really wanted but under the hood it would be based on current software that is community supported so you won't be in an obsolete site. Even though your site looks nice on the front-end it's a failure on the backend and if you want pros to work on it, that is an issue.

For the short-term fix get that 1 more Google review you need to show your 5 stars, it will help you get noticed more. For the long term fix you need to rebuild your site into a better supported theme and let someone who knows what they are doing formulate a plan for your off-page SEO, citations, backlinks, etc...

If you want to continue with 4-8 calls per month then don't do anything you are already on track. If you want the 4+ calls that most service plumbers want per day then you need to take massive action.

Advertisement