Dealing With Objections

Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: windows-siding
Rewards Points: 500

Dealing With Objections

how about dealing with someone who acts like they love the product just to make the demonstation go quicker. for example,someone says "wow,what a great window"..they are actually patronizing.
or when you first get there they say they are'nt sure how long they are staying in the home,they are probably going to sell in thext 2 to 3 years when the market gets better so they don't need "the best windows". i understand about creating urgency and doing a great presentation but what/how do you guys handle these types?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 1,212

Re: Dealing With Objections

It's an auto defense reaction when involved in a situation where a decision will have to be made, especially involving money. There will always be an excuse why they can't/won't follow through. It may be that your presentation is too much of a "hard sales oriented pitch" making them feel uncomfortable and they revert to the auto defense. There are a number of guys on CT who have a great deal of experience in this. Hopefully they will chime in.

Advertisement

Old 10-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: ooo
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
how about dealing with someone who acts like they love the product just to make the demonstation go quicker. for example,someone says "wow,what a great window"..they are actually patronizing.
or when you first get there they say they are'nt sure how long they are staying in the home,they are probably going to sell in thext 2 to 3 years when the market gets better so they don't need "the best windows". i understand about creating urgency and doing a great presentation but what/how do you guys handle these types?
A lot of times the answer is a strong no, they just can't say it, so they lie or beat around the bush.

That's a hard sell, it's like telling your kids to clean the bedroom.....they have to want to clean it or it's a long drawn out battle.

Most people walk away and move to the next customer. Not every person is a buyer.

Mike

Old 11-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcer View Post
go faster for many reasons. Many customers know what they want and when you appear to be talking too long, for the purpose of building your sale for a better product, the customer tells you they may move and would prefer a less expensive product.

Listen to the customer and try not to pre-judge. I've personally installed over 300 windows. Sometimes I want the best custom aluminum windows and sometimes I want cheap pvc windows. Sometimes, I know more that professional window companies.

The best way to present a sale is to present it so there is no possible way the customer can stop you in the middle and there is no way the customer can have objections at any point. This can be accomplished by covering every detail as you progress and by asking questions that no matter what the customer answers with the answers will always be favorable and it goes something like this. The grammar should never be perfect and the words don't even have to make sense because this is the normal way people speak. I also like to use the kings 'we' rather that the word 'I' to reduce the number of times the word 'I' is used.

"I guarantee we have the windows that fit the price and quality you are looking for, so first let me show you the different different qualities so you can make a decision and you tell me exactly what you want. So you can see the difference, and you can't see the difference without seeing my BETTER WINDOWS FIRST, but whatever you choose, at whichever price, I am positive we have what you are looking for."

You purposely reduce the customer's worry about the price by re-assuring him several times that you have the low price he wants. Your job as a sales person is to present the two lines so good the customer makes his own decision to buy the better windows, or you sell the cheaper windows and make the exact same profit. That is how it should work. Cheaper windows does not mean you should not be paid the same for your services and costs to run the business. It should only mean you pay and charge less for the cheaper windows.

Show the better windows, first. Show the lower grade, quote your price, and ask the customer what he or she wants. I get many customers that want the cheapest copper pipes, cheapest valves, and cheapest faucets. I accomodate the customer, lower the price a few dollars, and write in the contract, in a nice way, that the customer made the decision to get the lower quality. This is very important for when the products fail and a few years later the customer complains.

Never ask direct questions. For example, never ask the customer if he already shopped and looked at other windows. Direct questions are often considered to be none of your business and are often probing and customers don't like to be probed, so you can add this to the middle of the above statement and the customer will often respond with an answer you want to hear.

"You may have already looked at other windows at Home Depot or Window World, but I won't know what you've seen for comparison purposes until after I've shown you the two different qualities we have."

Customer breaks your pitch and says:

"I've looked at Home Depot's windows and they were way too high. I'm going to sell this house in two years, so, go ahead. Show me what you have and I hope you come up with a better price."

This is your opportunity to tell the customer that it is difficult to compete with Home Depot, but you are going to give your best shot to quote a price that is suitable. This doesn't mean you are really going to quote a cheaper prices. This is your opportunity to make the customer think your price may be lower, but your presentation is going to be terrific and when the customer hears your higher price he will see that the more-expensive windows is the deal for him.

I usually beat the cheaper prices by telling the customer that Home Depot and many other companies sub contract their work to companies just like mine, so they may as well do business directly with me (this was said as an implication and not a fact) and when they do business with these companies they have to go to the store, first, and it takes a long time to talk to a sales person. Then, it takes a long time for Home Depot to send an estimator. Then, Home Depot sends an installer to re-measure the job and this takes a long time. Then, when the customer wants to talk to someone there are a million people to deal with and this takes even more time and in end you are treated as a number with no personal service.

This paints a picture for the customer as good service increases the price above the less-expensive competition. I will pay you 10% to 20% more when I am assured the job will commence and proceed flawlessly.

"You make one phone call to me and the windows are started the same day. We've been in business for over 40 years and if (I prefer if) you ever have a problem with your windows, which is very unlikely with the work we do, you make only one phone call and I will be here the same day you call."

"Home Depot's prices are actually very difficult to beat because they have some of the best lines and some of the least expensive windows. This is another reason it is important to show you both of our lines so we (I said we on purpose rather than you) can compare apples to apples and we will be on the same page, and when you buy windows at *** company the service is nothing like ours because........... You make one telephone call to my company and your windows are started the same day and finished......right the first time (planting some bad thoughts about *** company in the middle)."

Never give the customer the opportunity to say no.

Never give the customer the opportunity to have an objection.

Never ask a question that does not result in a favorable answer. When you think of these types of questions write them down, post them on CT, and teach them to your employees.

This is only a concept and the statements may be totally inaccurate because I don't sell windows.

Last edited by pcplumber; 11-01-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:36 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: sales
Rewards Points: 500

enforcer
some may not agree but i always pre qualify over the phone. when booking my appointment i alwyas ask them:
1) is this a rental?
2) are you planning on staying in the home for more than year?
they always answer in sort of a skeptical manner meaning they are a bit unsure as to why i would ask that. I immediately then tell them," the reason i ask is if you are only staying in the home for a year then you probably are'nt looking for quality,you just want something from lowes or home depot?". they always(almost always) say no,we do want quality then they go on to say they don't want the best..DO NOT spend alot of time on the phone and never devuldge too much info. the rental question is important because you want to plant the seed that they don't want junk.
at the home i go over the rental or house flip window and thats when i say home depot or lowes windows have their place and thats what they are good for. i then tell them that there is a small problem with that logic. installing cheap windows can actually detract from the value of their home when they go to sell it. "so why spend 5k on poor quality when more than likely a prospective home buyer will end up asking for a credit for new windows?"
this over comes a few objections and creates a better focus an understanding of quality.