Craigslist And Websites

 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #21
Pro
 
tinner666's Avatar
 
Trade: Roofer, Domains and Hosting
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Richmond, Va.
Posts: 2,456
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Craigslist And Websites


I posted my website there after reading this thread. Wasn't expecting calls and didn't get any. But several search engines listed me in the top 10 unpaid searches.
tinner666 is offline  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

   

Advertisement

 

Old 04-18-2007, 11:35 PM   #22
Pro
 
SuperiorBuilt's Avatar
 
Trade: Home Remodeler
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Suffolk County NY
Posts: 136
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Craigslist And Websites


That is the nice part of websites like Craigslist. It gives you the web exposure you need. And ITS FREE
SuperiorBuilt is offline  
Old 06-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #23
California Contractor
 
BuenaHomes's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ventura California
Posts: 131
Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to BuenaHomes
Exclamation

Re: Craigslist And Websites


Great site, despite that i never get any job from that site.
BuenaHomes is offline  
   
 
Old 06-16-2007, 11:46 AM   #24
Registered User
 
bobk's Avatar
 
Trade: Power Wash Company
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, VA
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Craigslist And Websites


thanks for the info
__________________
Bob Kessler
Extreme Clean Power Wash
Chesterfield, VA
extremecleanpowerwash.com
bobk is offline  
Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #25
Newly Licensed Guy
 
TridentOps's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor/ Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, Ca
Posts: 88
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Craigslist And Websites


I've just started posting on Craigslist since this thread began and I've gotten some interest. 1 Masonry job, another job for something I didnt advertise and another I supposed to meet with the client tomorrow on. I don't seem to get a lot of trolls, but theres too many ads in the LA area. They don't have the time to get to everyone.
__________________
Trident Construction Management
Remodeling, Landscape and Water Features
TridentOps is offline  
Old 06-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #26
Member
 
Lumpy's Avatar
 
Trade: Remodeler /GC
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, Ca.
Posts: 31
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Craigslist And Websites


Be careful out there with Craigslist.

I get this e-mail from potential lead. Address and things don't quite jive. "Client" says they need my services ASAP. They say there in U.K. and will be back in 2 weeks and want to send me a check! I haven't even seen the job.

I guess the scam goes like this: The check is mailed with 'accidentally' too much $ on it so they ask for a return check for the balance. Of course the first check from them is bogus but it takes 2 weeks to bounce because the country of origin etc. Your check is good and now you are out the bucks.
Lumpy is offline  
Old 06-18-2007, 03:25 PM   #27
Pro
 
fathersonfab's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor / REO Repairs
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 224
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Craigslist And Websites


Craigslist is great, but of course, like anything else it takes practice. When I place an ad, the phone starts ringing usually within 30 minutes. I get so many phone calls I have to eventually stop answering the phone.
(FYI, I'm advertising for handyman services in the So Cal area.)

1) The #1 trick to using Craigs list is writing a GREAT ad. The search feature on craigs list works just like google. You need to have lots of relevant keywords in your ad. Example, if you are a Roofing Contractor, include in your ad, roofing contractor, roofer, roof, shingles, tile roofs, etc. and anything else relevant to what you are selling. A person looking for a roofer, might search for "Spanish tile".

Also, take the time to write a really good compelling ad. Just because it's free, doesn't mean you shouldn't devote some time to it. Before placing an ad, sit down and write 1 or 2 paragraphs about your company and what you are selling. If you browse through the ads that are similar to yours, you will get a really good idea of who is serious about it and who the flakes are. The flakes usually have 1 or 2 sentences and a phone number. For example, here is an ad I looked up under "roofing" :

ROOF REPAIRS. 23 YEARS EXP IN THE ROOFING TRADE. I WILL FIX THOSE PROBLEMS. CALL DAN 714 ***-***X

Would you call this guy? He obviously doesn't care enough to sit down and write a decent ad for his company, so why should I call him? Take the time to write a decent ad, and don't write IN ALL CAPS.
Also, a well written ad with links to your web site and relevant keywords will help Google find your web site. Even with no calls, that benefit makes it worth your time.

2) Next, write a really good Title. Something like this,
!! ROOFER - best in the business - Licensed Roofing Contractor !!
This step will take some practice. Try a new title each week until you find the right one.

3) I never include my email address. I always keep it anonymous so I can still receive emails from customers, but they can not see my email. It will help minimize spam. Also, I always include my phone number. I'd rather have people call me. People that take the time to call are generally more serious. If someone does email me and asks for a price, I will email them back and ask for there phone number, or I will reply with general info and my phone number and ask them to call me. I rarely quote a price via email, unless Im certain I DON'T want the job.

4) Scams... it's usually pretty easy to sniff out a scam on the internet. Unless someone is willing to go about the traditional means of conducting business... it's probably a scam. a) Never accept Western Union, b) Never respond to an "Urgent" message, unless it is one where you physically show up to the job site. c) Never give out personal information, d) Most scammers operate outside of the country. Ignore them. Just use some common sense.

Lumpy is exactly right... I have been contacted twice by someone in the UK saying they were "so excited about my product. send me the price and my info and they would send a check right away..." It sounded so fishy and an obvious scam.. I just ignored it.

5) Set up a website with photos of your work, or better yet, set up a company website and include a link to it. Potential customers like to look at pictures of your past work. Plus, clicking onto your web site gets them off of craigslist. It will deter them from looking at competitors and once they are on your website, its a second chance to sell them on your service. You can also place your logo and pictures in your ad if you know how to do that. It's just like linking to photos here on Contractors Talk.

6) Finally and most importantly, PRACTICE. If you don't get calls from your first ad, don't keep posting that same ad. Write a new one or try a different Title. I wrote 3 different ads before I found the one that made the phone ring. Also, don't post a new ad everyday. It's annoying and clogs up the system. I hate seeing 8 different ads for the same guy. Customers aren't going to call just because you have lots of ads. Post a new add every 3 - 4 days. Ads will stay online for 45 days and as long as you have a really good ad, with well written content and links to some nice pictures, people will still call even if your ad is 2 weeks old.
One time I stopped placing ads because I just couldn't handle the volume of calls. I was still getting calls a month later, so I know craigs list works. It may be different for different parts of the country.

I hope all this info helps.
Good Luck.

Brian

Last edited by fathersonfab; 06-18-2007 at 03:30 PM.
fathersonfab is offline  
Old 06-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #28
Newly Licensed Guy
 
TridentOps's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor/ Remodeling
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Hollywood, Ca
Posts: 88
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Craigslist And Websites


I agree with the website part. I have certain stuff in my ad linked to my website, and I added pictures to the ad. I do put a different ad emphasizing different services, but I try to avoid clogging the system.
__________________
Trident Construction Management
Remodeling, Landscape and Water Features
TridentOps is offline  
Old 06-19-2007, 12:34 AM   #29
Vegas Contractor
 
B1111's Avatar
 
Trade: Commercial and Residential Construction
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 26
Rewards Points: 25

Re: Craigslist And Websites


...exactly same with our ads on Craig's and it's working well, also we got some really good workers who wanted to work for us and few good subcontractors.
__________________
LAS VEGAS CONSTRUCTION
LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
B1111 is offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #30
The Duke
 
Kent Whitten's Avatar
 
Trade: Cabinet Maker
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 14,746
Rewards Points: 2,040

Re: Craigslist And Websites


I have replied to a few and got zero until yesterday. I met the guy and we seem to have gotten off to a good start and he has a decent sized addition for me to do in a month. Doesn't hurt.

Pictures. How do you post them on craigslist? Is it like here where you have the [IMG] code?
Kent Whitten is offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #31
Pro
 
fathersonfab's Avatar
 
Trade: General Contractor / REO Repairs
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 224
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Craigslist And Websites


Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
...

Pictures. How do you post them on craigslist? Is it like here where you have the [IMG] code?
Yes, Post them on your website or on a site like photobucket... then paste the IMG code into the html on your craigslist posting.
fathersonfab is offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 07:09 PM   #32
The Duke
 
Kent Whitten's Avatar
 
Trade: Cabinet Maker
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 14,746
Rewards Points: 2,040

Re: Craigslist And Websites


hmmm, doesn't seem to be working. I put [IMG] blah blah and after I post it, they put in the a=ref thing. Can you walk me through it a little?
Kent Whitten is offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 07:10 PM   #33
Insert title
 
dougchips's Avatar
 
Trade: Doors-Windows-Decks
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MA&RI
Posts: 4,692
Rewards Points: 2,022

Re: Craigslist And Websites


yeah me to!
__________________
To get the best replacement windows, or sun rooms contact the replacement windows experts at FHI Vinyl Window Company.
dougchips is offline  
Old 06-20-2007, 07:24 PM   #34
The Duke
 
Kent Whitten's Avatar
 
Trade: Cabinet Maker
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 14,746
Rewards Points: 2,040

Re: Craigslist And Websites


OK doug, figured it out. It's not "[IMG]"

It's <img =src"photo site here">
Kent Whitten is offline  
Old 06-21-2007, 05:26 AM   #35
Pro
 
Danno6102's Avatar
 
Trade: Deck Builder
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 311
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Craigslist And Websites


I saw this post this morning & thought I would post it here so everyone knows how NOT to post. This is all it was & a phone number. Please spell everything correctly. Also, do not mispell decks like that!

(Company Name) we do drive ways,paint, dicks, anything you need give us a call and we will get it done for you at a resonable price.

BTW, I'm posting my new & improve listing today that I rewrote from info from this thread.

Thanks,
Dan
Danno6102 is offline  
Old 07-07-2007, 07:01 AM   #36
The Finisher
 
lawndart's Avatar
 
Trade: Carpentry
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 1,371
Rewards Points: 612

Re: Craigslist And Websites


Quote:
Originally Posted by fathersonfab View Post
Craigslist is great, but of course, like anything else it takes practice. When I place an ad, the phone starts ringing usually within 30 minutes. I get so many phone calls I have to eventually stop answering the phone.
(FYI, I'm advertising for handyman services in the So Cal area.)

1) The #1 trick to using Craigs list is writing a GREAT ad. The search feature on craigs list works just like google. You need to have lots of relevant keywords in your ad. Example, if you are a Roofing Contractor, include in your ad, roofing contractor, roofer, roof, shingles, tile roofs, etc. and anything else relevant to what you are selling. A person looking for a roofer, might search for "Spanish tile".

Also, take the time to write a really good compelling ad. Just because it's free, doesn't mean you shouldn't devote some time to it. Before placing an ad, sit down and write 1 or 2 paragraphs about your company and what you are selling. If you browse through the ads that are similar to yours, you will get a really good idea of who is serious about it and who the flakes are. The flakes usually have 1 or 2 sentences and a phone number. For example, here is an ad I looked up under "roofing" :

ROOF REPAIRS. 23 YEARS EXP IN THE ROOFING TRADE. I WILL FIX THOSE PROBLEMS. CALL DAN 714 ***-***X

Would you call this guy? He obviously doesn't care enough to sit down and write a decent ad for his company, so why should I call him? Take the time to write a decent ad, and don't write IN ALL CAPS.
Also, a well written ad with links to your web site and relevant keywords will help Google find your web site. Even with no calls, that benefit makes it worth your time.

2) Next, write a really good Title. Something like this,
!! ROOFER - best in the business - Licensed Roofing Contractor !!
This step will take some practice. Try a new title each week until you find the right one.

3) I never include my email address. I always keep it anonymous so I can still receive emails from customers, but they can not see my email. It will help minimize spam. Also, I always include my phone number. I'd rather have people call me. People that take the time to call are generally more serious. If someone does email me and asks for a price, I will email them back and ask for there phone number, or I will reply with general info and my phone number and ask them to call me. I rarely quote a price via email, unless Im certain I DON'T want the job.

4) Scams... it's usually pretty easy to sniff out a scam on the internet. Unless someone is willing to go about the traditional means of conducting business... it's probably a scam. a) Never accept Western Union, b) Never respond to an "Urgent" message, unless it is one where you physically show up to the job site. c) Never give out personal information, d) Most scammers operate outside of the country. Ignore them. Just use some common sense.

Lumpy is exactly right... I have been contacted twice by someone in the UK saying they were "so excited about my product. send me the price and my info and they would send a check right away..." It sounded so fishy and an obvious scam.. I just ignored it.

5) Set up a website with photos of your work, or better yet, set up a company website and include a link to it. Potential customers like to look at pictures of your past work. Plus, clicking onto your web site gets them off of craigslist. It will deter them from looking at competitors and once they are on your website, its a second chance to sell them on your service. You can also place your logo and pictures in your ad if you know how to do that. It's just like linking to photos here on Contractors Talk.

6) Finally and most importantly, PRACTICE. If you don't get calls from your first ad, don't keep posting that same ad. Write a new one or try a different Title. I wrote 3 different ads before I found the one that made the phone ring. Also, don't post a new ad everyday. It's annoying and clogs up the system. I hate seeing 8 different ads for the same guy. Customers aren't going to call just because you have lots of ads. Post a new add every 3 - 4 days. Ads will stay online for 45 days and as long as you have a really good ad, with well written content and links to some nice pictures, people will still call even if your ad is 2 weeks old.
One time I stopped placing ads because I just couldn't handle the volume of calls. I was still getting calls a month later, so I know craigs list works. It may be different for different parts of the country.

I hope all this info helps.
Good Luck.

Brian
Fathersonfab has given excellent advice. If you take a look at my ad I'm running you'll see I've been doing exactly what was suggested for the past few months. I'm booking about 5-10 quality jobs every month from it in a very competitive market. My website is now ranking #1 on google in alot of area specific keywords. It's been well worth the 10 hours or so that I've put into it.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/sks/365050943.html
lawndart is offline  
Old 07-07-2007, 08:06 AM   #37
Pro
 
BuiltByMAC's Avatar
 
Trade: Deck guy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 3,257
Rewards Points: 2,270

Re: Craigslist And Websites


Quote:
Originally Posted by framerman View Post
OK doug, figured it out. It's not "[IMG]"

It's <img =src"photo site here">
Actually, it would be

<img src="absolute path for your pictures here">

where there is a space between img and src but no spaces between src & = & "absolute path"

absolute path means the full url, i.e.,

http://www.builtbymac.com/images/decks/70611-02.jpg

Make sure the http:// starts off your absolute path...
and make sure the whole tag is enclosed in angle brackets < >

(I was a web designer in a former life...)

Mac
BuiltByMAC is offline  
Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #38
framing/millwork supplier
 
dvon104's Avatar
 
Trade: interior & exterior trim, window and door installs
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: georgia
Posts: 132
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Craigslist And Websites


Craigslist is great....but be careful...NEVER put a phone # on there ...at least not for personal items....put a weight bench on there ...guy keeps calling ...enough I know his #..do not answer ....this joker does a reverse look up on internet and came to my damn house ...ohhh was it an ugly scene...so be very very careful...
dvon104 is offline  
Old 07-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #39
Pro
 
GregS's Avatar
 
Trade: Low Voltage
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 1,449
Rewards Points: 502

Re: Craigslist And Websites


I posted on ad on there a couple of months ago and got a lot of tire kickers "How much to mount the flat tv above fireplace?".

I changed my ad around and re-posted on Thursday. 3 phone calls later that day ended up in 2 service calls for Friday and a home theatre install this week. And they all want to pay 'cash'.
GregS is offline  
Old 07-08-2007, 03:49 PM   #40
Registered User
 
BENPM's Avatar
 
Trade: painting contractor
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Craigslist And Websites


Obviously lots of good ideas and insights on this topic. I will just add my 2 cents that Craig's List works. If you maintain your ads it will bring in biz. It has for me.

Ben

Advertisement


Last edited by ProWallGuy; 07-08-2007 at 04:46 PM. Reason: No ads allowed
BENPM is offline  


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join Now... It's Fast and FREE!

I am a professional contractor
I am a DIY Homeowner
Drywall Talk is for
PROFESSIONAL CONTRACTORS ONLY!

At DrywallTalk.com we cater exlusivly to professional contractors who make their living as a contractor. Knowing that many homeowners and DIYers are looking for a community to call home, we've created www.DIYChatroom.com DIY Chatroom is full of helpful advices and perfect for DIY homeowners.

Redirecing in 10 seconds
No Thanks
terms of service

Already Have an Account?