CLIPPER MAGAZINE?? Anybody Ever Used Them?

Old 03-18-2017, 12:32 AM   #1

Trade: exterior detailer
Rewards Points: 12

CLIPPER MAGAZINE?? Anybody Ever Used Them?

Long story short we expanded our horizon and added some services for this season. We've been trying to really bump up our advertising this year! Previous years the only advertising we have used was EDDM postcards and our website/ google adwords. This season ive ordered some new lawn signs to stick out, and plan to continue heavy with the EDDM.

I ran into a local company a couple months back called cipper magazine (theyre all over the country) basically you are paying for a 1/2 page ad (about $1,300.00 for 120,000 homes) in their magazine which can include all sorts of coupons of your choosing and what not. Ive been emailing back and forth with the local representative for quite some time now and even though my ad is looking good im still skeptical. My only concern is with it being a full on magazine, im not sure how many customers will really look through it and take our coupons from it. Has anybody ever advertised through them? How was the ROI? The price per house seems amazing compared to anything else we have done and i dont want to pass up such a great opportunity if there is potential!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,400

Re: CLIPPER MAGAZINE?? Anybody Ever Used Them?

At those numbers they are doing the design print and delivery for a penny a house.

I would check those prices and make sure it's not monthly or requiring some sort of long term commitment.

If it is actually that price I would try it.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #3
Marketing Automator

Trade: Contractor's Best Friend
Rewards Points: 146

People still use magazine ads in 2017?

Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 8,585

I went to school with the two guys who founded Clipper Magazine, but anyway. (They started at F&M College in Lancaster, PA.)

Their magazine is top notch and offered in higher income zip codes. I suspect that it would pay off for you, but I'm going to ask your question to a family member who gets their magazine. (My area doesn't meet their demographics.)
Old 03-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 8,585

What is an exterior detailer and where are you located? About how many jobs would it take to cover the ad?

Last edited by MarkJames; 03-21-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:14 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Low Voltage Wiring
Rewards Points: 2,400

I still want to know how they can design print and deliver all for a penny a house.

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLR View Post
People still use magazine ads in 2017?
What else do you suggest? We already do a bunch of online advertising! but the more advertising the better (for the most part)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJames View Post
What is an exterior detailer and where are you located? About how many jobs would it take to cover the ad?
Located in Upstate New York. Some services we offer are: Commercial/residential power washing, heated soft washing, surface cleaning, roof cleaning, professional window service etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to therealcleaners For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #9
PCI

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 848

I don't know anything about this magazine, I would ask if this is subscription based (being wanted and paid for) or being left on counters to be picked up.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 PM   #10
Marketing Automator

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealcleaners View Post
What else do you suggest? We already do a bunch of online advertising! but the more advertising the better (for the most part)
Uhm, not using magazines. Online advertising is not about quantity but mostly how you go about it. The problem with magazines, is they're near impossible to track your response rates. Unless you're a rock star direct response marketer who truly knows this game you're throwing your money away. Most of the top direct response guys ditched mail for the most part. It's ALL about online now. To each their own though, I won't stop you from burning cash...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Uhm, not using magazines. Online advertising is not about quantity but mostly how you go about it. The problem with magazines, is they're near impossible to track your response rates. Unless you're a rock star direct response marketer who truly knows this game you're throwing your money away. Most of the top direct response guys ditched mail for the most part. It's ALL about online now. To each their own though, I won't stop you from burning cash...
i do agree with you somewhat.. but response rate is easy to track when you include coupons!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #12
Non-conformist

Trade: Builder of businesses
Rewards Points: 1,136

I've stayed out of this discussion for lack of anything useful to contribute so far, but the assertion that print advertising is dead and online is the only way to go isn't accurate. I'll admit it's generally true, it's just not entirely true. Don't rule it out without all the facts.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbscreative View Post
I've stayed out of this discussion for lack of anything useful to contribute so far, but the assertion that print advertising is dead and online is the only way to go isn't accurate. I'll admit it's generally true, it's just not entirely true. Don't rule it out without all the facts.
I can say from experience a solid 50-60% of our business still comes from hardcopy advertising, mostly EDDM postcards
Old 03-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #14
Marketing Automator

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealcleaners View Post
i do agree with you somewhat.. but response rate is easy to track when you include coupons!
Coupons are great and all, but how are you tracking open rates? In other words how do you know how many of your ads go into trash before they're looked at? Yep. Exactly.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #15
Marketing Automator

Quote:
Look I'm not saying it's completely worthless if that's your game, what I'm saying it's way overpriced for what you get in 2017. The reason it's overpriced is because they have to jack up their rates to keep the lights on, because most eyeballs are online. And it's only going to get harder and harder for print to compete with online.

Bottom line, if you think it's a good spend of your cash, awesome, nobody will say otherwise. But if it was working so well, why is anyone even asking if it's worth it on this thread in the first place? If print is killing it, keep doing it and I'm sure online marketing will snap out of their stupor one day and go right back to printing...
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #16
Non-conformist

Quote:
Look I'm not saying it's completely worthless if that's your game, what I'm saying it's way overpriced for what you get in 2017. The reason it's overpriced is because they have to jack up their rates to keep the lights on, because most eyeballs are online. And it's only going to get harder and harder for print to compete with online.

Bottom line, if you think it's a good spend of your cash, awesome, nobody will say otherwise. But if it was working so well, why is anyone even asking if it's worth it on this thread in the first place? If print is killing it, keep doing it and I'm sure online marketing will snap out of their stupor one day and go right back to printing...
All true, and I'm very optimistic that online marketing will snap out of its stupor and become a useful means of generating revenue.

But going back to printing...

My answer to print ads being a good investment, typically no. It's just not the answer every time. Early in this thread, MarkJames stated knowing the founder and the publication reaching high income subscribers. That's something to consider in some situations. I've seen cases of niche publications that reach subscribers that would definitely be a target for certain types of businesses. I've done ad layouts for such situations.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 242

One other thing I will add.
I found that by paying for YP.com for one year it opened up a line of business for me that I knew existed but had no idea how to target.

I have found that just doing one thing as far as advertising is concerned does not maximize the number of leads i receive.
For example. I know lot of older customers, one of my targets, are not using online searches for hiring contractors, at least not locally. To reach them, more traditional avenues are required.

This is from a person that believes highly in online marketing.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:15 PM   #18
Marketing Automator

Quote:
All true, and I'm very optimistic that online marketing will snap out of its stupor and become a useful means of generating revenue.
Dude, are you serious? Did you just say that online marketing is not a useful means of generating revenue? Mind to expand on that?
Old 03-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #19
Non-conformist

Quote:
Dude, are you serious?
Not at all serious. At least not on that statement anyway.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #20
water re-locater

Trade: Gutter installer
Rewards Points: 3,384

I just got this months copy yesterday. I admit I glance through it every month. Has a mix of everything from national chains in the food biz to small handy man and many other local business's .

Harbour freight in there as well. 3 or 4 of the large siding chains and a local awning guy. Decent looking magazine but not something I'd advertise in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement