Canvassing Does Work

Old 03-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 150

Canvassing Does Work

I just sold a canvassed lead for roofing today. I ended up selling it for $273 per square. I believe that in 2008 the companies that are going to make it are the companies that go after the business. Homeowners are really dragging their feet and putting off projects for as long as they can.
I plan to continue to canvass and use it as our major way of generating leads. When done right canvassing is a beautiful thing and by far the best lead you can get!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Lead Generation for Home Remodeling Companies
Send a message via Yahoo to wpc07834

Re: Canvassing Does Work

maybe it should be a secret..

Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #3

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

I have thought about putting flyers on doors in neighborhoods that we have worked but didnt know if I would be wasting my time. If you want the work you have to chase it, you are right, people are dragging their feet. Don't spend the money until they absolutely have to.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Captain of the Titanic

Trade: Asphalt Paving,Excavating, Masonry
Rewards Points: 508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofman20033 View Post
I just sold a canvassed lead for roofing today. I ended up selling it for $273 per square. I believe that in 2008 the companies that are going to make it are the companies that go after the business. Homeowners are really dragging their feet and putting off projects for as long as they can.
I plan to continue to canvass and use it as our major way of generating leads. When done right canvassing is a beautiful thing and by far the best lead you can get!
Roofman, can you ellaborate? Did you use a canvasser or did you do it your self? Did you do a face to face or just fliers / DKH? Tell us more as I am ver interested in the hole story.

A new friend has given me great insight and I hope to have him come out and teach me more but I'd like to hear your story.

BTW, not being in your industry, is that price per square good? Whats the norm??
Old 03-09-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: vinyl decking railing fenceing siding windows
Rewards Points: 500

i to also have a friend coming to my place this week to help me with setting this up so i will let you all know haw it turns out!
we are pretty excited here to say the least.
if even half of what is said works we will be growing yet again.
the only problem i can foresee will be hiring new installers that are qualified to work with us.
anyways i will keep you filled in and updated as the week progresses.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Roofing

Right now i am the only canvasser. I drive neighborhoods looking for bad roofs. When i see a bad roof i stop, go up to the door knock, introduce myself and my company, and set an appointment up to come out and give and estimate. Some people will want an estimate on the spot but dont ever do it. You want the appointment to have value and it wont if you just tell them well i can do this project for this much. When people say well go ahead and give me an estimate now, i tell them well i appreciate that but im not wearing my estimators hat right now. I am out today setting appointments to come back when i will be much more prepared. I am finding homeowners are like the little kid with a messy room. The child knows its messy but until his parents tell him clean your room, he just wont do it. Homeowners are the same. They know they need a roof, but to open a phone book, look through 200 roofing companies, all claiming they are the biggest, baddest and the best. Then call 3 of them set up appointments and go through the whole process is pretty daunting!! All while each parent works full time and they take care of two kids!! I am making generalizations, but you get the idea. Now i walk up to the door, knock and it is a convienence thing. Remember most homeowners never go to a showroom for most home improvements. We come to them. What is one more step, by initiating it. In todays day and age convienence is everything. There are two things we have much less of in todays day and age. TIME and MONEY. I also believe that with the dollar being so tight, people really want to see someone work for their hard earned dollars.
No different then if you go to a restaraunt and a waiter brings you your food and you never see him again. Do you feel like leaving a nice tip? Hell no!! Now if the waiter is constantly refilling your drink before its empty and making sure everything is great with your meal and if you need anything, now you feel like they have earned your hard earned money.
I find that the canvass leads rarely ever want to get other estimates and since they are not getting other estimates, you can typically get good money for the job instead of dealing with low ball estimates.
Guys this works. But it takes effort! Its not easy but once you get started and do it you really appreciate the results.
I recommend if you are just starting the process yourself just canvass for 2-3 hour intervals so you dont get burned out. Of course evenings are the best as 90% of the people are home. During the day housewives and retirees are home.
On average 2 hours of canvassing will produce 3 appointments.
I am certainly no expert on the subject, but it is not rocket science. Consistent effert pays big dividends!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Outdoor D/B
Rewards Points: 1,028

I am been following these threads.

When i started in business 3 years ago i tried canvasing once. I knocked on 6 doors. Woke 2 people up. 3 were not interested and one hired me for 2500 in work. That 2500 dollar customer referred me to this 250k +project I am on right now.

I never did canvassing since. Do you really think it could work for 100k+ landscape jobs on million dollar plus houses?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Siding, Windows, Seamless Gutters, Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 2,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofman20033 View Post
What part of the country are you in that you are excited about $273/sq? Im curious to try canvassing once the weather gets warm
Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
New Guy

Trade: windows and siding
Rewards Points: 10

We are a window siding company in chicagoland. the cheapist way to get some pretty good leads.. make a help wanted flyer. go to the high schools around your area. flyer the students cars. yes high school kids can be hard to get what you want done. but it can be done and it works for us.

Last edited by Nathan; 03-11-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
Painter2001

Trade: painting contractor

Hello everybody!!! This is really interesting thread. I want to introduce myself. I’m painting contractor located in Minnesota. My main sources of advertising are newspaper, yellow book and some local magazines. It is look like here is a lot of people who runs canvassing. I’ll be really glad to here your advice. I really want to try canvassing but the problem is that I have no idea how to do it right. If somebody could share his secret, I’ll be very appreciated.

Last edited by viatek; 03-10-2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #11
New Guy

there are some videos you can get off the net that will train you and its a good tool to have when you want other people to do it to.
Old 03-13-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Pro

A good bird dog makes the hunt easy.Its not gun fire the pups need to be trained for but door slams.This old school that works well.The two best we had one was deaf and the outher blind not good in the city but great in the burbs.

good hunting Tin Man
Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #13

Trade: General Contractor - Residential and Heating and Air contractor - commercial

We have started to do this as well but we only do it in areas that we have just completed or are in the process of doing a job. When we do speak to a person this makes them feel better that somebody around the corner is using our service, even if they do not know them.

But make sure you get the permission of the original customer prior to letting everyone know you are doing their work, and make sure you are doing a good job otherwise this will backfire something awful.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #14

Trade: Remodeling, decks, Additions, and everything else

Ive been in business for 2 years now. I get alot of work out of canvassing, but never anything that really pays. My companies main focus is remodeling and decks, do any of you have any tips of canvassing for remodling and decks?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:02 AM   #15
Pro

hey guys,
here we go again. a thread that just keeps going.
well i had my new found friend that i meant here on the talk come up here to my hood this week. the following is what took place,
monday morning wpc arrived at around 7:00 am in the morning. we had previously spoke and set up interviews to be ready for him manday morning at 10:00 am. a whole bunch of people arrived for interviews so i decided to sit in on them. WOW! was i impressed to say the least.i figured like usaul when the word canvass come up at least 1/2 the group would leave. not so , in fact these people were all excited to get to work. amazing ! wpc interviewed from 10am until about 4:30 pm none stop never even took a lunch break . talk about people neeeding work i was impressed . we spent the next 3 hours call people back to let them know weather they were hired or not. learned alot here he actually had these people begging him to take a chance on them. ( interviews are where you set the stage )
anyways we hired 6 canvassers to start tuesday morning. tuesday 11:00am they all showed up wpc trained them for about 3 hours and then personally took them out to start canvassing. they spent 1hr 45 mins. out in the field came back to the office and handed me 17 total leads with 6 set appts. all for windows and siding again WOW!
but alright how many going to be back on wensdday? 11:00am they all show up again this day tho they only spent about 2 hrs in training and were taken out but left to do it on their own at 7:00pm they returned with 10 leads 4 set one. WOW! again i just relized hey i don't have enough sales people to cover these leads.thursday same thing only this time they picked there areas and went out in teams of two. with in one hour in the feild my phone starts ringing none stop. they were writing leads left and right even had a customer that wanted to meet now! couldn't do it again all sales people out selling. i even tried to run a lead myself to cover the things in 3 days of canvassing i now have a great crew in place all excited to be doing it all professional all writing leads and now i find myself sending out S O S! for sales people and installers. i now truley believe that i will never wait for a lead sto call in again from an add in the mail or whatever in 3 days a total of 47 leads were wrote all windows and siding a total of 17 set to run and most of them not set being set from the office. i also now have to hire a girl to work the phones for these leads. so to sum it up 4 days 2 days 1hr 45 mins. of actual canvassing and we have more leads than we were set up for what a great problem to have . today is friday wpc 's last day here SAD! i tried to get him to stay and work for me but he cannot he has prior commitments.
bottom line we all know canvassing works but what i learned is how to work canvassing. if your thinking about this for your business i would highly recommend it you'll be writing deals none stop make your office an exciting place. learn how to recruit ,train,motavate and you had better already now how to sell and ahve enough salepeople and office help in place to handle this.
" I AM A BELEIVER " now if your from pa. and need work in sales or installation give me a call i need help fast! and will be glad to talk to you!
Old 03-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #16
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason Whipple

Vinylguy,

How do you pay the canvassers? Is it hourly or per lead or a little of both? This is pretty interesting, I'm curious about this. I'd love to test this idea in some upper income areas. What seems to be the best time of day for this? I'm actually surprised that so many people would be willing to walk around door to door for a living.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #17
Pro

first off jason if done right going door to door will be more than just making a livin!
this perticular program that i just was introduced too actually made me aware of alot of things that i forgot along time ago.
first off how important the interview is in order to set the stage for this to work.
second how fun your work place can actually be.
third a thriving business is a place where customers or potential customers want to go to to do business
Old 03-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #18
Preserving the Past

Trade: Restoration & Historic Preservation
Rewards Points: 2,060
Send a message via Skype™ to Jason Whipple

So what is the pay structure for these canvassers? I need to try something new a different, but also need to figure out if I can afford it right now. I see no one else in my area(s) doing this and it could be a good way of getting to those folks that might not have set aside the time to pick up the phone and start calling contractors yet.

I'd love to hear more about the technique as well.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #19
The Finisher

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 610

$10 an hour and $10 per lead they write. Each canvasser should get 5 leads a day. Making it a minimum of $130 a day.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:11 PM   #20
Pro

that sounds great lawn dart but we actually pay a little different here
we do 0-5 leads $50 ea.
6-7 leads $60 ea.
8-9 leads $90 ea.
10 or more in a week $125ea.
now just so you know this is on demoed leads only
with a guarentee of at least minimum wage.
first week in production here and its friday nite and we are waiting for the crews to come back in at 7pm but so far we have over 20 set appts. for the week and thats with not canvassing on monday or most of tuesday.
anyways you put it thats great #"s
i will tell you this however if you are going to do this and do it right then you had better have office support in place and salepeople ready to go. cause when its fired up the rite way it gets pretty crazy when thier out in the feild calling you to run over now to sell the appt or booking you 3 at the same time on the same day.
i really do believe you should talk with wpc about this he's a genius and really knows what time of day it is.
and he's always there to take care of stuff for you when he sets you up so you can watch it all happen and learn this the right way.
i just want you to know this is coming ffrom a guy who has read and tried every canvass manual out there

Advertisement