Blog Post And Content Ideas

Old 01-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
Tree Pro

Trade: Tree Service
Rewards Points: 12

Blog Post And Content Ideas

As I learn, read, and study more and more about marketing our services, just about every expert is recommending content, content, content. Quite frankly, I cut down trees, and I am having a hard time putting together original creative blog post and content ideas. I was hoping to start a discussion on the topic to stir up some good ideas. Looking forward to feedback.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2017, 06:22 AM   #2
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 504

Re: Blog Post And Content Ideas

I believe you could write about all the kinds of situations when cutting down trees and branches is necessary, desirable, etc, then you can write about the process of cutting trees - how much time is needed, where do you start and where do you finish, then about the process of contacting you, and how much involvement from the homeowner is necessary, then about what happens to the tree itself when you trim it - the benefits of it, etc. By the way, your website looks very nice. Hope this helped a bit or gave you some ideas.

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aquakbd For This Useful Post:
MOTB (01-15-2018), Zac123 (01-09-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
New Guy

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 58

1. Legality of cutting down trees
2. How it's done and the details
3. How to know when your tree needs to come down
4. Trimming/cutting down
5. Signs that your tree is dead
6. Different types of trees and their pros/cons
7. Tree safety

Look for different ways to educate your customers regarding your service.
The Following User Says Thank You to RickRoofing For This Useful Post:
MOTB (01-15-2018)

Old 01-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 11,983

Times to prune, trim, plant, graft, whatever.
Trees near your foundation.
Beware the tulip poplar.
Tree aesthetics.
Crape "murder"...don't.

Folks like seasonal topics, even if they tend to repeat themselves. The audience is always adding, changing anyway.

You could post on any particular recent job, too, in terms of sharing the wisdom, challenge, danger, method, reminders, whatever.

Last edited by MarkJames; 01-10-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
http://penncoatinc.com/

Trade: Painting / Epoxy Flooring / Polished Concrete
Rewards Points: 706

Safety is always a great topic. What are your PPE's? What type of equipment do you use? How about a job summary? What was a unique job that you did, and how did you solve some unique problems it presented? Post some pictures too. Do you use different methods/equipment for different types of trees?

And don't be afraid to repeat topics. Just have to keep writing. I find, the more blogs I write, the more topics I realize I can cover.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
New Guy

Trade: sheet metal fabriction
Rewards Points: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac123 View Post
As I learn, read, and study more and more about marketing our services, just about every expert is recommending content, content, content. Quite frankly, I cut down trees, and I am having a hard time putting together original creative blog post and content ideas. I was hoping to start a discussion on the topic to stir up some good ideas. Looking forward to feedback.
I was told to write funny stories about past experiences. I am sure you have had some close calls or funny employee/homeowner stories. Also, writing some of these down, I get to remember why I loved my job so much.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 4,114

I would write a post on make like a tree and leave. I would be all over that. But im easily entertained.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:49 PM   #8

Trade: Cabinetry and Remodeling
Rewards Points: 50

While well intentioned, all of the replies thus far betray a fundamental misunderstanding of how Google works and basic marketing tenets in general.

So far all of the advice has been of the Ready, Fire, Aim nature. Instead you should be asking yourself:
  1. what am I trying to accomplish by posting content to my website
  2. who is my target customer
  3. what action do I want them to take

We can assume that you are trying to generate more leads i.e. make the phone ring, so there is no need to focus on 1 or 3.

Why do we want to define our target customer? Well, we want to write content that they find valuable. In other words, we want write content that answers the questions they have.

The number one mistake most people make when blogging is they make it all about themselves. We've been in business since the Civil War!; here's how we expertly cut down the tree; etc. etc.

No one cares about that.

Rule number one is people want to know what's in it for them. Focus your content on providing value to your reader and everything will follow from that.

Now, you may be saying to yourself 'hey, I'm a person too what's in it for me! After all, I want to make the phone ring, not spend all my time answering questions!'

Ask yourself this: When you go to give a quote or look at a job what are 10 questions that your customers repeatedly ask? I can guarantee you one or more of your answers is going to revolve around price. Everyone wants to know how much something is going to cost; and almost no one blogs about it! It boggles the mind!!

Anyway, you take those questions your customers repeatedly ask and you have the beginnings of a content plan. You could stop here and be miles ahead of the game of your average competitor.

But what if you want more? Now, at the beginning I said the prior answers in this thread betrayed a fundamental misunderstanding about how Google works. What did I mean by that?

You can come up with all the content ideas in the world and if nobody is searching for them it won't do you a bit of good. So if you really want to do well, you'll take your list of 10 content ideas and do what's called keyword research on each one and determine A.) if there is any search traffic for those terms in your service area and B.) which ones have the most searches so you can prioritize your content around those first.

Lastly, you may be thinking; 'Hey, didn't you tell me just a minute ago that I could just use the 10 common questions my customer asks and be doing alright with just that? Why do I need all this keyword mumbo jumbo?'

Well, if your customers repeatedly ask you something odds are they are asking the same questions on Google....BUT we don't know that for sure unless we start researching keyword volumes.

Keyword research paired with intimate knowledge of your customer allows you to Ready. Aim. and THEN Fire away with your content.

There is much more to say on the matter, things like keyword intent, benefit based writing, etc. etc.; but this should at least get you in the right mindset.

Last edited by savman; 01-19-2017 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #9

Trade: Apparatus Contractor Services
Rewards Points: 232

Hey Zac123,

You said you cut down trees and it seems like you find that limiting your content. Instead of thinking "I cut down trees, that's all I can write about" why not think "I cut down trees, and I can write about anything tree related with *some* level of authority".

-How-To's: Christmas tree care and safety during the holidays
-Which trees thrive best in which climates/environments/seasons/etc.
-FYI's: about recycling, wood usage, dangers of high-looming trees to neighborhoods, etc.
-DIY home projects using scrap wood

The possibilities are really limitless. Just because you specialize in one unique area doesn't mean you can't parlay this into becoming a really interesting blog that most people would read - which is the entire point.

Good luck!

Erin
Old 09-06-2017, 04:57 PM   #10

Trade: Landscaper and Arborist
Rewards Points: 24

Our SEO company writes all of our blog posts, and most of them are pretty good. You should check out this post they did about it.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #11

Trade: Abogados home repairs
Smile

Keep an ideas file
The most important thing about inspiration is that you can't predict when it's going to strike. When the sun is shining, you need to be ready to make hay. To a degree that simply involves basic preparation.

Keep a file - a document or a spreadsheet - with a list of all your blog post ideas. Keep this file in a place where you can access it at all times; like Dropbox.

When you have an idea that might make an interesting blog post, write it down.

Do this each and every time and before long you'll have a significant inventory to work from - even when you're not in the mood to be creative at all.

Steal from others
One of the best ways to come up with ideas for your own blog is to consistently expose yourself to blogs which you want to emulate. Use a feed reader (we like Feedly) to subscribe to your favourite blogs and check in once a day to see what's been published.

Don't be afraid to steal ideas which are clearly working for other people. There's a vast amount that can be learned from the success of others. Blog post series, subject areas, use of imagery, the list is endless! Just don't actually steal their content. That isn't cool.

Read a great post by one of your competitors? Write it down in your ideas file. On a rainy day that might be just the bit of inspiration you need to spark a new post.

Ask the audience
Foolish bloggers go out in search of ideas, efficient bloggers allow ideas to come to them.

You can crowdsource blog post ideas by reading your own comments section, checking your @replies on Twitter, and listening when people talk.

What questions are being asked? What do people seem confused (or excited) by? What stories do they have? Not sure about any of these? Ask your readers to tell you what they would like to read more of - and then give it to them. It sounds simple, but remarkably few people actually do it.

Ask the internet
Many-a-noble-blogger has been stuck for content ideas before you, and while that has been an insurmountable hurdle for some... there are many more who have conquered it and documented the process. Check out lists of awesome blog post ideas created by your blogosphere peers.

Here are just a few that we enjoyed...

32 of The Most Popular Blog-Post Ideas (The Blog Stylist)
Blog Post Prompts and Ideas (Pinterest)
The Blog Post Topic Generator (Hubspot)
56 Ideas for Blog Posts on Your Business Blog (ProBlogger/LinkedIn)
50 Content Marketing Ideas for Your Blog (Forbes)
Expand on your blockbuster content
Look through your analytics history and figure out what your most popular posts of all time are.

These are your blockbusters.

Weeks, months and years after publication, they still bring in a steady stream of new visitors to discover your blog for the first time.
I have written content for a lot of websites such as:
Abogados de auto
Skip hire Glasgow
Taxi Manchester
Solicitors London
http://www.dynamiclaunch.co.uk/
http://www.partyboothglasgow.co.uk/
Double Glazing Glasgow
Wedding Photographer Manchester
Dentist Edinburgh

So you know this content works, the next question is: How could you expand on it? Could you break one of your existing posts down into more fine-grained steps? Could you do a follow-up? Could you refresh the content in the post with a new and improved version? Whatever you decide, make sure you edit the old post to include a link at end:

Last edited by DavidShanks; 12-07-2017 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 01-13-2018, 05:56 AM   #12

#1 Run a contest – I’ve run blog contests on this site before, and all I can say is that it gives great attention and new traffic to your blog.

#2 Review books/products/films – Reviews deliver a lot of value to your followers, and people are constantly looking for honest opinions, not the fake ones that the web is full of.

#3 Make comprehensive guide/tutorial – If you’re a professional in a field or know some topics extra well, feel free to help the ones who have less skills and experience than you do. Tutorials and guides provide a lot of value, which can help drive traffic and convert followers. As an experienced blogger, I teach others how to start and maintain a blog.

#4 Interview someone – Know any celebrities or people who have great stories behind their work/life/career? Interviews are extremely popular in two cases: a) you deliver an interview with a famous person who rarely speaks in public or b) your shares rally insanely useful and practical tips and content.

#5 Post a cool infographic – Infographics help to visualize complicated data, and they’re hugely popular these days. As always, when something becomes mainstream, the overall quality is poor. So, if you’re not a designer, hire one to get a viral infographic that stands out from the crowd.

#6 Criticize a website/blog or a person – The web and blogs are great for discussion, opinions and criticizing. Nevertheless, if you are brave enough to say some crispy words about someone, make sure your text has strong arguments and is based on real facts. Random ranting is pointless.

#7 Make a post full of GIFs – GIFs are the symbol of online entertainment and humor. There are thousands of GIFs and generators that help to produce new ones. See example: Linkbuilding in GIFs #8 Create a photo post – Share your favorite photos from your niche or personal photos from your latest traveling adventure. Keep in mind that if you’re not the author, you should always give credit to the original photographer by providing a link.

Blog about your secrets#9 Tell a personal secret – We all have our dreams as well as secrets. Sharing them publicly gives very engaging content to the followers. As much as people love rumors, they love to know the dirty little secrets of other people.

#10 Write inspirational/motivational post with famous quotes – People need little kicks to get going and get things done. Big things start from small ones, and motivational posts can do miracles. Here’s one of the best quotes from Steve Jobs: “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else´s life.” Here are some tips for using quotes in your posts.

#11 Share recent travel experiences – Travel blogs and posts are popular, and there are people who earn a living solely from writing about their adventures. Sharing inspiration and tips from your adventures is very useful to your audience, whether you’re in the travel industry or not. In case you haven’t traveled for a while, publish the best or worst experiences you’ve had in certain countries/airline companies/etc.

#12 Host a giveaway – Have you ever thought why products like GoPro become more and more popular with each day? They do giveaway campaigns regularly. People love free stuff, and taking advantage of that helps you reach new audiences. I have personally done this with my company at Carpet cleaning Glasgow services

#13 Write down a conspiracy theory – Have you heard about all the number th
Old 02-04-2018, 04:05 AM   #13

To make your content go viral, you should think about using a few of these trending tools:

Alltop – this is a great resource for bloggers in any niche, showing you the latest 5 posts for each blog so you can easily get inspirations for your next article.
CoSchedule – you can use this tool to analyze the best headlines for blog posts and potentially drive social media engagement and SEO value.
Piktochart – use this tool to instantly design professional infographics for your next blog post!
BuzzSumo – if you want practical content ideas that have gone viral in the past, BuzzSumo is the right tool for you! Just search for a keyword or headline related to your topic and see how popular it is.
We use this for the blog we have at Carpet Cleaning Glasgow

Last edited by DavidShanks; 02-04-2018 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes
Old 02-04-2018, 04:06 AM   #14

One of the most effortless approaches to concocting viral blog post ideas is to scrutinize your competitors’ best-performing keywords. Analyze which keywords generate traffic for your competitors’ websites and incorporate them into your blog posts. Try to evaluate 10 to 15 of their best blog posts as this will help you come up with many ideas to write about.

4. Competitor Blog Comments
After analyzing your competitors’ most popular blog posts, analyze the comments they have underneath. If you find any query-related comments then good for you! You can use those queries as your next blog post’s headline.

5. Social Media
These days, hashtags are a helpful method for understanding what is trending. Examining popular hashtags (even ones that are not directly tied to your business) can help you identify a great story to go along with your blog. If you click “search” on Instagram, it will also show you trending posts and tags. You can apply the same idea to Twitter.

Advertisement