Biggest Challenge

Old 01-03-2017, 12:47 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Estimator
Rewards Points: 802

Biggest Challenge

When you obtain leads from your marketing efforts, what is the biggest challenge or obstacle you face when turning that lead into a paying customer on the first visit?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 01:15 AM   #2
Wormdrive Operator

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,132

Re: Biggest Challenge

Properly screening them.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #3

Trade: Apparatus Contractor Services
Rewards Points: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_d View Post
Properly screening them.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
I agree with this. I would rather have the right client sign on for our services after the 2nd, 3rd or 4th visits than have someone who isn't really ready for our services or isn't an ideal client for us sign on at the 1st visit.

Because of this, we've actually turned our "1st visit" into a screening/interview which allows us to just sit with someone and talk about their business goals and what's realistic for them and us moving forward. From there we can determine if we're a good fit.

Erin

Old 09-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #4

Trade: Landscaper and Arborist
Rewards Points: 24

Not scaring them off with our pricing on the first visit. Sometimes you need to give them a chance to call around and see what other companies are charging first. It just goes with the industry.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:24 PM   #5

Trade: concrete flat work
Rewards Points: 68

Really depends on the service. Major home remodel is not going to close on the first visit. Many mid-range services like roofing are not going to close on the first visit because of competitive bidding. For concrete work like I do, closing on the first visit is pretty common. Trust building is the biggest thing.

Ismaels Construction
Old 09-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #6

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 152

When dealing with someone we have no prior experience with or knowledge of, there is a qualification process to see if we are a good fit for each other. I try to find out the following:

Who's in charge, am I talking to the decision maker?
How did they hear about us?
Do they own the property where they are talking about doing work?
What is their project $$ budget?
What is their time frame?

Also need to take a look at them and take a look at their property to see what things look like. If the place is a dump, they are probably the type that will pay for premium construction.

Get all these questions answered before wasting any time preparing estimates, bothering subcontractors, etc.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:41 AM   #7

Trade: AJS Carpet Cleaning, Inc
Rewards Points: 4

The greatest challenge would be the carpet is about ten times worse when described over the phone.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:16 AM   #8

Trade: Heating and Cooling
Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Craig View Post
When you obtain leads from your marketing efforts, what is the biggest challenge or obstacle you face when turning that lead into a paying customer on the first visit?
Just having a general conversation with them. It's always good to understand their pain points (main one being PRICE) and have a genuine conversation to gain their trust. Once they trust you, be fair and upfront with what you're going to do, the price, and why it is the price that it is. I've seen this translate into word of mouth clients too. Customer service is super important for me!
Old 10-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismaels View Post
Really depends on the service. Major home remodel is not going to close on the first visit. Many mid-range services like roofing are not going to close on the first visit because of competitive bidding. For concrete work like I do, closing on the first visit is pretty common. Trust building is the biggest thing.

Ismaels Construction
Not true at all man. I close all of our remodel jobs on the very first visit.mi just closed a 38k kitchen remodel. What makes you think it's not doable? Selling someone a can of coke and a kitchen remodel is the same thing. The process never changes.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:35 AM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
When dealing with someone we have no prior experience with or knowledge of, there is a qualification process to see if we are a good fit for each other. I try to find out the following:

Who's in charge, am I talking to the decision maker?
How did they hear about us?
Do they own the property where they are talking about doing work?
What is their project $$ budget?
What is their time frame?

Also need to take a look at them and take a look at their property to see what things look like. If the place is a dump, they are probably the type that will pay for premium construction.

Get all these questions answered before wasting any time preparing estimates, bothering subcontractors, etc.
Want,need,desire

Ability

Authority.

A deal can't close of one of those is missing.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:36 AM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlandTrees View Post
Not scaring them off with our pricing on the first visit. Sometimes you need to give them a chance to call around and see what other companies are charging first. It just goes with the industry.
I never give them the chance to shop around. When I close a deal there's usually multiple bids that are a lot lower.

Advertisement