Angieslist Scam

Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Angieslist Scam

As we know, I used to be a big supporter of Angieslist. I was able to get a few good customers and was able to make some money. Heck, I even convinced a few guys on here to try it out. I bought into it. I am a sucker.

Well, I have now stopped my advertising with them. At first, it wasn't too expensive and there were only 10 guys rated on the first page. Then the price went up and I still felt it was worth it. Then the amount of contractors listed on the top increased to 14 and the price STILL went up.

Recently I was paying $434 a month to compete in the top 14 with other contractors JUST in the roofing keyword. I never knew how many customers it truly reached until about a month back when I heard the dismal number of subscribers. It was less than 30k people. That's it. There are over 2.0 million people in the service areas I cover. That is 6 counties.

Further from that, there are NUMEROUS people on it who say "I will just write a bad review about you on Angieslist." I have had people who I don't even contract with write negative reviews, one person completely refuse to pay me and one person DEMAND their money back because they feel I didn't do the services they paid for and wasn't at their beacon call quite enough.

Very few customers on there are very good. Most are like the majority of society where they all feel entitled to something. I have completed 30k+ exterior remodels for people who found me on regular Google without ONE issue whereas with Angieslist, a $3000 job takes up hours of my time.

Don't be like me. Don't get suckered. Invest in yourself instead of a failing company.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BamBamm5144 For This Useful Post:
Braciole (10-19-2012), Clemens (10-17-2012), cwatbay (10-19-2012), DavidC (10-17-2012), greg24k (10-17-2012), KellyD&B (10-21-2012), ROVACON (10-17-2012), Sir Mixalot (10-17-2012), Tech Dawg (10-17-2012)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
J Meloche

Trade: Landscape Construction
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Angieslist Scam

highly agree.

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm5144 View Post
Very few customers on there are very good. Most are like the majority of society where they all feel entitled to something.

Don't be like me. Don't get suckered. Invest in yourself instead of a failing company.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: construction

You're getting wiser Bamm. That's a hood thing. Hey, at least you have the experience now, nothing wrong with that.

I have the full blown MLS that realtors have and that's the only thing I do outside of word of mouth. It's the only true lead generator that's bullet proof, but you have to generate your own leads.. It's like having a bucket of gold. Everything else is a joke.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
J Meloche

Trade: Landscape Construction
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc View Post
You're getting wiser Bamm. That's a hood thing. Hey, at least you have the experience now, nothing wrong with that.

I have the full blown MLS that realtors have and that's the only thing I do outside of word of mouth. It's the only true lead generator that's bullet proof, but you have to generate your own leads.. It's like having a bucket of gold. Everything else is a joke.
How do you use the MLS to generate leads - send to recently solds or something?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakie99

How do you use the MLS to generate leads - send to recently solds or something?
Ummm, it's somewhat complicated. Lol

I have a lot of posts on here explaining how to develop leads and culture word of mouth. It's a bit complex how I get all the pieces to work together, complex enough where it's awfully hard to explain in a post.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 7,012

Good for you that you out of there Bro... $400 a month is a HWY robbery... if you think about it, you can lease a nice car for that amount.

I learned my lesson with advertisement long time ago... when m y accountant said you making to much money this year, so start spending some or you will get banged up with taxes.
So part of that spending spree was a huge billboard on a busy local HWY, this was in the mid 90's and I was paying $1,300 a month and it was a 3 months minimum. I didn't get not one call from that sign during that time period and since then I didn't spend 1 cent on any advertisement or on any lead company. They been finding me for almost 30 years, I figure they will find me for another 10-15 until the end of my career.
SmallTownGuy (10-17-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Remodeling GC

Trade: Remodeling General Contractor

I have been on AL since 2007 I think before all the paid for BS they offer now. I got some really great clients from my original non paid listing.

I did their pay for advertising for 2 months this year and it was a bust for me, no jobs and lots of tire kickers with attitudes.

Had one guy give me F's cause I wouldnt give him an estimate when I asked his budget he said 5k for a master bathroom remodel with shower, euro glass cherry cabs, granite, jetted tub etc... on and on. Told him call us back when he gets his budget closer to 25k.

He scoffed and told me it shouldnt cost that much and how he doesnt make that much at his job which he is an employee.

So yeah dump em and F-em!!!!!!!

www.ObrienConstructionDenver.com
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpenter

Nice, Kevin.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Carolina Surface Prep

Trade: Media blasting and residential restoration
Rewards Points: 202

So what does Angie mean when she says "no contractor can pay to be on Angies List"?

If you look at their financials, most of their revenue comes from contractor advertising, not subscriptions.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
#MAGA

Trade: Builder/Renovator

Places like Angie's List tend to attract people who are more likely to complain and suffer from a "know it all" complex. Sort of like Yelp. When I see some of the "reviews" on Yelp, it helps me understand more about the actual reviewer than the establishment being reviewed. Same thing on Angie's list. Also, you have no idea of the reviewers frame of reference. Some people will write glowing reviews of contractors who suck because they have never actually seen quality work before. Some will bash great contractors because they are unreasonable people.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Drywall & Painting Pro

Trade: Licensed Florida Drywall and Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 18,037

Thanks for the warning Bam.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
Goin' Down in Flames....

Trade: Builder/GC
Rewards Points: 1,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrancard View Post
Places like Angie's List tend to attract people who are more likely to complain and suffer from a "know it all" complex. Sort of like Yelp. When I see some of the "reviews" on Yelp, it helps me understand more about the actual reviewer than the establishment being reviewed. Same thing on Angie's list. Also, you have no idea of the reviewers frame of reference. Some people will write glowing reviews of contractors who suck because they have never actually seen quality work before. Some will bash great contractors because they are unreasonable people.
Couldn't have said it better myself. With this new interweb thingy, everybody thinks they are an expert in everything. Time was, long ago, when you actually had to have some actual knowledge to be a critic. Then you could be a "critic." (See my sig line for an opinion on those.)

Now, all you have to do is act like an a$$#ole somewhere, get someone pissed off, and then write a bad review.

I still say word of mouth is the best way to go.
SmallTownGuy (10-19-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #14
Handymen are people too

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1954 View Post
So what does Angie mean when she says "no contractor can pay to be on Angies List"?

If you look at their financials, most of their revenue comes from contractor advertising, not subscriptions.
Yep I was thinking the same thing!

Sounds like an easy lawsuit in the making
Old 10-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
Handymen are people too

Trade: electrician
Rewards Points: 356

Angieslist what a creative name. What ever happened to people being unique and coming up with their own stuff. So she knew Craigslist was popular so hmmm let me call my site Angieslist
Old 10-18-2012, 11:57 PM   #16
Reet

Trade: Painting/ Sales
Rewards Points: 250

This thread is kind of amusing, considering i could go back 5 months and recall a debate with bambam where he was grilling me on not knowing anything about angieslist..and how i was wrong about it being a complete marketing scam.

Glad to see you came to your senses man
Old 10-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Everything Exterior, Mostly Roofing.
Rewards Points: 2,786

Yep I know.

Strange thing is, I've gotten a lot of calls and contracts signed from angieslist customers since I quit paying to advertise.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 3,544

I have never paid them a cent and get jobs from them every now and then.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #19
Reet

Trade: Painting/ Sales
Rewards Points: 250

Theres a problem when you start putting business's out there that rate other business's and market as "unbiased reviews"..but then they go after the business's rated on their sites for money. Money to rank them higher on their sites.

I think if you get jobs from it, great..people that go on that site are probably going to look through enough of the reviews on there. Might even be really good clients because they care enough to look around.

Last edited by Spaint90; 10-20-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:27 PM   #20
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 12

I have a number of issues with Angieslist but I think it makes sense, from a SEO perspective, to ensure that your business is well and accurately listed.

Aside from all of the concerns that others have listed on this and other threads, I think the numbers from Angieslist point out some serious problems. In Q2 this year they had over 29k participating service partners who reported $101 million in contracts. That's just under $3500 per partner. Angieslist revenues in the same period were $36.5 million. That means Angieslist made $36.5 million off $101 million in contractor sales yet they are still losing money.

In short, I don't think Angieslist is a good value for a service provider and I don't think they will be able to stay in business if they can't find a way to be profitable.

Advertisement