Is Adwords The Best Way To Advertise ?

Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
Flatrooferstl

Trade: Roofing
Rewards Points: 79
Cool

Is Adwords The Best Way To Advertise ?

To me adwords seems the best place to advertise as long as you know what your doing on it. Yellow Pages is good also if you place a beautiful ad. But Im gonna go for adwords and maybe a small 2" x 4" ad with at&t and see what happens. What would you guys suggest the best way to advertise?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #2

Trade: Construction Software
Rewards Points: 10

Re: Is Adwords The Best Way To Advertise ?

Adwords is good, but it's not as simple as it seems, I'vfe been doing it for a few years now and am still learning. Just be sure that you put a geographical limit on there, put a daily limit, use conversion tracking and watch it closely for the first few months, you will soon see what works and what doesn't. Then you can refine it over time

Advertisement

Old 07-31-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Construction Supplier
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_gts View Post
Adwords is good, but it's not as simple as it seems, I'vfe been doing it for a few years now and am still learning. Just be sure that you put a geographical limit on there, put a daily limit, use conversion tracking and watch it closely for the first few months, you will soon see what works and what doesn't. Then you can refine it over time
I agree, it is a big learning curve for adwords. At first I would use the daily limit, while you are learning adwords. After you feel comfortable with it, you should dump the daily limit. The daily limit, also limits your leads. If you want to save some money on some clicks, limit the time at which it runs. Do you do lunch the same time everyday? What time do you start answering the phone, and when do you stop? What other times do you not answer the phone? No reason to have it running if you are not answering the phone. In my experience, most potential customers do not leave messages on a first call (cold call in)

JJ

Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Aluminum Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Can you take your contractor hat off and think like a customer or client?

Work on your long tail keywords and get good at it. Stop thinking single keywords. Most contractors don't think like a customer or client. This is how they waste a ton of money on keywords.

Plus when you find long tail keywords that work make sure you use the same long tail keywords on your web site and in your content. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:41 AM   #5

Trade: Construction Software

Thats a good point about the keywords, general ones can be very expensive, the more specific you make them, the cheaper they become (usually).

It's also worth experimenting with different match types, try broad, phrase and exact, I have particular keywords and phrases which vary wildly for different match types, infact I hardly use broad any more as they tent to have lower CTR and higher cost, which will affect the overall performance of the campaign.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Eight Specialty Trades
Rewards Points: 1,350

Beyond the obvious key words, changing your words will not have a significant impact. There is no secret for choosing the correct key words.

I spent about $6,000 trying Google Adword, had their experts set up a package, and did not get one lead.

Knock yourself out and waste your money if you need to see for yourself.

If you can get desirable results from pay-per-click I would like to see the proof.

http://bestlineplumbing.com/accounting.htm
Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #7

Trade: Internet Marketer

Adwords is definitely a viable option for small, local businesses as well as for the big guys - it just has to be set up in the right way.

It is even more vital if you are not showing up in the free organic searches on Google - long term, SEO is crucial, but takes a lot of work to keep your site up near the top. Also, make sure you are listed on Google local maps before you do anything else - this is free and often you will come up near the top of any local search.

For Adwords, like those above, I would give the following advice:

1. start with small daily budget and test.
2. make sure you are not using single-word keywords - e.g. 'carpet' for a carpet cleaning company - use things like 'carpet cleaning Houston' as this is more specific and will have less competition.
3. Set up separate adgroups for each keyword phrase type: e.g. carpet cleaning, tile cleaning, upholstery cleaning would all be separate adgroups.
4. Each adgroup should have at least 2-3 differently worded ads so you can split test them.
5. Make sure you have conversions set up - that way you can track leads, sales from Google to the specific ads, keywords that generated the lead or sale.
6. Website - is it set up with just a phone number for prospects to call on? How about other options? Coupon downloads, design guides, appointment schedulers, etc. Ensure you have many ways for a prospect to interact with you - you will get more leads this way.
7. Set up autoresponder email system with options in #6. You can send automated follow-up email with your contact info.

Adwords is a phenomenal marketing tool if it is set up in the right way - trackable, you can set exact budget, measure ROI etc.

Hope that helps someone!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #8

Trade: plumbing

Has anyone tried ServiceMagic/Angie's List etc?

Advertisement