Advice For New Company Marketing!

Old 01-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #1

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 16

Advice For New Company Marketing!

Hello everyone,

Am in the process of starting my business. Have been working as a carpenter since out of high school, decided to go out on my own. Am somewhat lost as to how to go about the most cost effective advertising. Also unfortunately I never really advertised for handyman work or focused on side jobs so I don't have any work yet besides for small 1 day jobs.

Forms of marketing that I am contemplating:

SEO
EDDM (mailers from the post office)
Local magazines
Website traffic ( in process of building website)- don't have good photos for work portfolio though of my own jobs, only of work I've done for other companies as a sub and don't feel would be okay to post as "mine"
Facebook advertising
YELP
Angies list
Home advisor

Obviously I know word of mouth is the best, I don't have that right now. Where would you guys dump the money on a tight budget because I don't want to blow through money and I'm hesitant with what I want to do.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Specialty Structure Aluminum
Rewards Points: 521

Re: Advice For New Company Marketing!

I suggest checking out my lead gen blog post here on ct: http://www.contractortalk.com/blogs/...-home-services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2019 View Post
Hello everyone,

Am in the process of starting my business. Have been working as a carpenter since out of high school, decided to go out on my own. Am somewhat lost as to how to go about the most cost effective advertising. Also unfortunately I never really advertised for handyman work or focused on side jobs so I don't have any work yet besides for small 1 day jobs.

SEO
Local magazines
Website traffic ( in process of building website)- don't have good photos for work portfolio though of my own jobs, only of work I've done for other companies as a sub and don't feel would be okay to post as "mine"
Facebook advertising
YELP
Angies list
Home advisor

Obviously I know word of mouth is the best, I don't have that right now. Where would you guys dump the money on a tight budget because I don't want to blow through money and I'm hesitant with what I want to do.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #3

Trade: Roofing Leads
Rewards Points: 8

jm2019, if you are looking to get bigger jobs (e.g. $5,000+) search engine ads will get you the most immediate return on investment.

SEO is a good long-term investment but takes several months to work. And unless you have the budget to hire a reputable company, good chance you'll get ripped off by the cheap guys.

Search ads, on the other hand, (e.g. pay-per-click) typically gets you results within a few days when done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Different companies charge differently, but the way I do it is I ask you to commit a minimum of $300 for a test run. If that doesn't get your phone ringing with good leads, then there's no point in continuing if you don't have the budget.

Of course, the tricky part is, if you continue, you have to continue to cover the cost of the leads and the service as you wait to actually get paid for the new jobs you land. So you might have to go "in the hole" $2K before you can collect your payments. But if you're landing high-quality jobs in the process, that's different than just dropping $2K without knowing the results.

Just something to consider that not a lot of guys know about :-)

Old 01-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #4

Trade: roof cleaning
Rewards Points: 128

jm,

Before you spend money promoting yourself online I would advise you to get at least 5 good customer reviews on web sites that are easily found. Service companies like mine (roof cleaning, roof repair, and gutter installation) are only as good as their customer reviews. What you want is to have people that search for reviews about you to find you and to see people saying good things. Over 75% of people searching go to reviews before calling a company. If you don't have any you are just throwing away your marketing dollars.

Tony
Pro-Long Roof Care
Old 01-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #5

Trade: General Contractor/Carpenter
Rewards Points: 24

JM,

It's difficult to know how you might best be served... each person's situation is different. As has already been eluded to, reviews and recommendations from clients are always the best foundation, both in terms of establishing your brand, and generating leads. You may have already done this, but if I were you I would dedicate significant time to creating a network of people around you who can assist you in helping to build your reputation and generate leads. In your work as a carpenter I'm sure you were able to establish relationships with other tradesmen/women, salespeople at your local lumberyard, etc. with whom you can share your news and ask for leads. Building relationships with other reputable contractors in your area can also prove helpful both to work for when you are slow and to gain leads from when they can't handle them (I am often over-booked and need to pass along work to other contractor friends).

This isn't to say that you shouldn't invest in other means of advertising and marketing, but in your quest to do so, don't underestimate the effectiveness of building relationships and networking.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #6

Trade: General contractor

Look into home advisor thumb tack and snag a job. They all cost money leads. Can vary from 5.00 to 100.00. It all depend on what you want to sign up for. They will keep you busy until your name gets known.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:48 AM   #7

Trade: Builder/Developer
Rewards Points: 34

If you are a carpentry contractor (don't know if you are a framer or finish guy), I'd look at your local Building Industry Association. Our local BIA has a regular event called Purchasing Agents, Suppliers and Subcontractors. It's just a networking event, but if you make the right connections it might lead to a lot of new business.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #8
New Guy

Trade: Hardscape/landscape

Honestly I started my business from craigslist. You have to project yourself bigger than you are. I actually had 6 figure project pictures from another contractor so it looked like I had a legit business. You have to be able to not succumb to the cheap asses too on there that you are competing with. I still use craigslist and get about 300k of work a year from there. Obviously I have my own pics now.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #9
New Guy

Trade: Hardscape/landscape

Also another thing I did which had worked wonders is I hired sales people on commission only. That way if they bring in nothing I lose nothing. I actually donít even look for work anymore as they do it all. And I only spend money on it if I land the job
Old 05-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #10

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 38

My advice is to start with what's easiest and don't spread yourself too thin. Don't make a bunch of social media profiles.

I'd set up:
Website
Facebook
Google Business
Yelp
Angies List
Home Advisor

Then the first ads I'd run would be Facebook ads because they're pretty easy to figure out then Google Ads because they get really good results.

Local marketing is really good, too. Ask some expensive hair salons if they'd mind you putting some business cards there. They get a lot of clients with money.
The Following User Says Thank You to wattsittoyou For This Useful Post:
Cantifix (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #11
New Guy

Trade: Structural Glazing
Rewards Points: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsittoyou View Post
My advice is to start with what's easiest and don't spread yourself too thin. Don't make a bunch of social media profiles.

I'd set up:
Website
Facebook
Google Business
Yelp
Angies List
Home Advisor

Then the first ads I'd run would be Facebook ads because they're pretty easy to figure out then Google Ads because they get really good results.

Local marketing is really good, too. Ask some expensive hair salons if they'd mind you putting some business cards there. They get a lot of clients with money.
This is great advice (although there's been some discussion as to how effective Home Advisor is on these forums - might be worth looking at!)

The main thing is to start simply, tick all of the right boxes - list above is great starting point - and get the ball rolling asap. Speak to as many people as possible when you're delving into things you don't know much about, and steer clear of dodgy services such as SEO consulants who claim to 'get you to the first page of google in days' etc.

Agreed with the Facebook advertising - you can be super specific about your targeting, and choose to show your adverts just to people in your specific area etc. If you start really small, you also won't need to spend a huge amount of budget - but yeah, website is a must, even if it's a simple free one.

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 4,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2019 View Post
Hello everyone,

SEO
Local magazines
Facebook advertising
YELP
Angies list
Home advisor

SEO - You cant get good off page seo hardly anymore, it would be by accident if you did.
EDDM (mailers from the post office) -No
Local magazines - Maybe
Website traffic ( in process of building website)- don't have good photos for work portfolio though of my own jobs, only of work I've done for other companies as a sub and don't feel would be okay to post as "mine" Sites4contractors, dont mess around yourself
Facebook advertising Driven to a landing page on your website
YELP - Fuuuu no
Angies list - Nah
Home advisor - Owns AL, nope
Old 05-18-2018, 06:04 PM   #13
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 3,008

I am wondering what the Original Poster actually did.

Seems awfully quiet since the original post date so I am wondering if it was a setup for someone else.

Advertisement