Advertising & Marketing Methods

Old 09-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #1

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 152

Advertising & Marketing Methods

Some things we do, and some thoughts:
1. Website - Necessary, but not a big generator of business. It's just an online brochure and shows potential clients how to get in touch.
2. Facebook - Probably not necessary and doesn't generate business, just a simple tool to keep our name out there.
3. Jobsite Signs - Excellent low cost advertising that works 24/7.
4. Truck appearance and signage - Another excellent low cost advertising that works 24/7. Rolling billboards, but keep them clean & shiny, and don't park at the tavern.
5. Literature & brochures - A necessary tool when making client visits to show company has some depth, etc. With modern printers and software this can be done in house, very low cost.
6. Letterhead, business cards, envelopes, proposals, etc. - All are necessary, and keep appearance of everything consistent.
7. Gifts, goodies, hand outs - Can be a real waste of money, but simple cheap stuff like note pads and koozies seem to get used.
8. TV & radio - Too expensive in most situations.
9. Phone book, yellow pages - Outdated technology, waste of money.
10. Billboards - Great 24/7 advertising if you can afford them and get a good location.
11. Networking events - Local functions, community outings, charity events, service organizations, etc. where your potential clients hang out are great places to spend some time.
12. Entertainment - Golf, lunch, etc. with new or existing clients is some of the best time you can spend. Don't talk about work unless they do.
13. Face to face sales calls - Absolute necessity to keep work coming in the door. Always have some target clients on your list and try to get in front of them for a sales pitch.

Also - Keep your company logos simple and easy to read. Elaborate artwork and text is hard to read at a glance and won't gain you nay business.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fishindude For This Useful Post:
aquakbd (09-17-2017), Metalman5301 (10-11-2017), WarrenRight (11-07-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Specialty Structure Aluminum
Rewards Points: 473

Re: Advertising & Marketing Methods

Good list. Also add in PPC marketing.

I'll say you got a lot of opportunity with 1 and 2. Yes Facebook.

Advertisement

Facebook Business Owner Support Group (over $1 million revenue): Right now its just me and my close circle of mostly home service biz owners talking about growing our businesses, and dealing with the frustration of not having anyone to tell us "good job" at the end of the day. Feel free to join!
Old 09-14-2017, 01:05 AM   #3

Trade: Heating and Cooling
Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowork View Post
Good list. Also add in PPC marketing.

I'll say you got a lot of opportunity with 1 and 2. Yes Facebook.
I've been trying PPC, but the cost per click is so high and I only get like 1 out of 15-20 people who click. I mean I pay a couple hundred bucks to get a decent job, but I feel like I (or someone else for that matter) could be doing it better.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
New Guy

Trade: online marketing
Rewards Points: 78

Don't forget Bing. The cost per click can be much less than Google adwords, with traffic converting just as well or better.

Another source for cheap ppc is retargeting on Google, FB, Bing.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
MyOnlineToolbox cofounder

Trade: contractor marketing, website education & strategy
Rewards Points: 2,620

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnw View Post
I've been trying PPC, but the cost per click is so high and I only get like 1 out of 15-20 people who click. I mean I pay a couple hundred bucks to get a decent job, but I feel like I (or someone else for that matter) could be doing it better.
Don't use PPC for leads, but rather for Brand Recognition in order to support the Organic Listings in Mapping and Search. In other words, many people skip ads all together so use it as a method where people already saw your name once, and will recognize it when (hopefully) they see your company name in the Mapping and Free Search Results.

The PPC topic is not the same for all services since I would not care spending a few hundred for a 25K Kitchen Remodeling job. And obviously I would care if it leads to a lower cost service oriented job.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #6

Trade: Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 10

Thx for the info guys but what Im experiencing is that all SEO takes time to build up.

DK Investment Renovations, Inc
www.decks-dk.com
Old 09-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
New Guy

PPC has a place in lead generation while you're waiting for your SEO to kick in, but in reviewing your Google Maps Listing, there are a few changes that could help you right away. First, your business title has (deck builder) after your business name. This is likely killing your click through rate for any bath and kitchen remodel leads. Second, your primary category is listed as deck builder. Choosing a broader category as your primary one such as construction company should help you rise in the map rankings for kitchen and bath remodels.

Next, because you're a service area business (a business that goes to the customer rather than them coming to you), you need to do more on your website to show Google that you provide service outside of Greenfield, IN. This means creating location pages for each of the communities that you serve. If you have projects that you've completed in those communities, adding geo tagged photos to those web pages as well as your Google business listing can help Google make the connection that you're working in an area that is broader than Greenfield.

Of course, there are other things that you can do beyond these, but this is some low hanging fruit that should have quick payoff for you. Let us know you get along.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #8

Feed me Seymour.....

Thx
DK Investment Renovations, Inc
www.decks-dk.com
Old 09-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #9

My Google business page has all the locations tagged and I have a locations service page.
2 add words accounts , one for decks & one for kitchens and baths . Still slow traffic. I'll try the photo tagging and more back links . Thx

DK Investment renovations, Inc
www.decks-dk.com
Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
New Guy

I see that you have a combined services and areas page. What I'm describing is an individual page for each community that you want to serve. Take a look at this website: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...utf-8&oe=utf-8.

They have 43 1st place rankings in the maps pack and the site isn't even fully built out yet. They are achieving this because they have specific pages that define the service area and signalling to Google what the contours of their service area really are.

While it used to be the case that you could just list the communities you served and Google gave you a pass, it was too easy to game. So now, you have to put a little more effort into it, but the payoff is huge, because nobody else is doing it.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
Cardigent.com Founder

Trade: Software
Rewards Points: 2

I wanted to share some notes on your use of a website and Facebook. You're flagged as "Industrial" which I believe is B2B. Most of my comments are oriented towards B2C, but it may be applicable to you, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishindude View Post
1. Website - Necessary, but not a big generator of business. It's just an online brochure and shows potential clients how to get in touch.
You're right. A website will not generate traffic unless it is found. You can obviously use its landing pages as a foundation for converting paid traffic, but you may also have opportunities for inbound marketing. Unlike outbound marketing, inbound marketing does not provide instant returns but can drive dividends down the road.

My recommendation is to start a basic blog and photo gallery on your website that talks about your experiences of being a contractor. If your a bad writer, you can take notes on your experience and leverage a service like WritesAccess.com to ghostwrite your thoughts.

After time, if your content is catchy and relevant, you'll boost your domain authority in your trade area and improve organic traffic to your website.

My tip to do this better is to localize your content to the areas you do a lot of business. If your a landscaper, consider taking a bunch of photos of the "10 Best Gardens" in your town name. Then walk through how you'd improve them and how other home owners can do something similar. That leads us to your next statement.

Quote:
2. Facebook - Probably not necessary and doesn't generate business, just a simple tool to keep our name out there.
Once you have this good content, start sharing it to individuals who you've done jobs for. Ask each homeowner to share the post the highlights their home as having one of the best landscapes in town.

This will boost your visibility, add credibility, and people will think you're a guru (even if you didn't necessarily do the original landscape).

The key is you don't need to do all of this at once. Just take good notes, and keep updating over time. Maybe make a goal of writing a short piece of content every other week. You'll build traffic that produces long-lasting results with consistency and quality posts without paying for advertising.

Last, on the website, don't worry about a super fancy site. Just focus on a basic, clean, professional design that is credible. Hope that helps.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:12 AM   #12
Kitchen Cabinets NJ

Trade: Kitchen Cabinets
Rewards Points: 454

Twitter works better for us than Facebook. Facebook brings a bit of traffic to our website and some calls when we pay for an ad. Also, maybe you should think about putting your website into use. SEO started bringing in a lot of calls, walk-ins, and some big sales after some time.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #13

Taken your advise and applied it. We'll see. Thx

DK Investment renovations, In
www.decks-dk.com
Old 09-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #14
New Guy

Let us know how it works out!
Old 09-21-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
Owner & Managing Director

Trade: Home Remodeling Lead Generation & Consulting
Rewards Points: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudroe19 View Post
Taken your advise and applied it. We'll see. Thx
Hi Dace,

I hope you're having success with the aforementioned tips.

One thing I would recommend doing which is absolutely FREE is to install your Facebook tracking pixel which you're missing right now.

The reason why this is important is twofold:
  1. It gathers all of your visitors (even those who bounce) like a big bucket and allows your to retarget them whenever you want. You've seen this in action when you leave one site only to see an ad for that site on the next page.
  2. The tracking pixel allows Facebook to find your ideal customer and optimize your ads only for them.

Retargeting is usually cheaper than cold ads because you're putting ads only in front of people who have been to your site. This allows you to "own" your visitors instead of competing on Porch, Angie's List, etc.

Facebook is fast becoming a huge opportunity for local businesses because of it's targeting capabilities. They want you to be successful so you'll keep spending money with them. That's why they pixel helps Facebook optimize ads for your ideal customer.

Installing the pixel is free and pretty quick and easy.

Here's a bit more about it from Facebook's website: https://www.facebook.com/business/help/952192354843755

Let me know if you need any help.

Nate

Last edited by n8johnsonbiz; 09-21-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: I didn't ad the [/QUOTE] to the end of the quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:02 AM   #16
Pro

Trade: Estimator
Rewards Points: 802

Quote:
3. Jobsite Signs - Excellent low cost advertising that works 24/7.
4. Truck appearance and signage - Another excellent low cost advertising that works 24/7. Rolling billboards, but keep them clean & shiny, and don't park at the tavern.
5. Literature & brochures - A necessary tool when making client visits to show company has some depth, etc. With modern printers and software this can be done in house, very low cost.
6. Letterhead, business cards, envelopes, proposals, etc. - All are necessary, and keep appearance of everything consistent.
7. Gifts, goodies, hand outs - Can be a real waste of money, but simple cheap stuff like note pads and koozies seem to get used.
8. TV & radio - Too expensive in most situations.
9. Phone book, yellow pages - Outdated technology, waste of money.
10. Billboards - Great 24/7 advertising if you can afford them and get a good location.
11. Networking events - Local functions, community outings, charity events, service organizations, etc. where your potential clients hang out are great places to spend some time.
12. Entertainment - Golf, lunch, etc. with new or existing clients is some of the best time you can spend. Don't talk about work unless they do.
13. Face to face sales calls - Absolute necessity to keep work coming in the door. Always have some target clients on your list and try to get in front of them for a sales pitch.

Also - Keep your company logos simple and easy to read. Elaborate artwork and text is hard to read at a glance and won't gain you nay business.
Facebook will get you more appointments in a month then every other method you stated above will in a year. Your website should be converted to a lead capture site and you need to run targeted traffic to it from Facebook. The website and Facebook will get you more jobs in the next 30 days then you could possibly handle if you have it set up right.

I book about 15 kitchen and bath remodel estimate appointments every single week from Facebook and I won't tell you my closing ratio on that but it's really high. Pretty much if they have the money there buying on the first meeting.

What about canvassing. If there's one way to get leads NOW it's from canvassing. I only focus on stuff that brings in leads right away. Canvassers will start brining in leads from day one and so will Facebook.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Craig For This Useful Post:
Metalman5301 (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 01:53 AM   #17
Roofinity

Trade: Roofing and Remodeling Lead Generation & SEO
Rewards Points: 92

Quote:
Respectfully disagree. Your website can drive a huge number of leads organically.

Search for "Metal Roofing Boston" in Google and see which company comes up # 1 organically?

It will be NewEnglandMetalRoof.com

Newton Metal Roofing Services (a Google Local Listing) is our local search listing, too! So, that's two listings, local and organic, for the same website above the fold.

Guess how many exclusive leads the site brought in with the help of the custom Roofing Calculator in September? Well over 50 exclusive leads by email and hundreds of phone calls. -- We did not have to pay for the leads or spend any money on adwords.

If your website is just a business card, then you have no idea what you are doing. Get a pro, get some content, set-up lead forms, add trust signals, off-site optimization, google local, set-up lead generation flows and calculators to get some engagement going on your site.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:51 AM   #18

Trade: pressure washing
Rewards Points: 94

Yea it really depends on the service
Old 10-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #19

Trade: Apparatus Contractor Services
Rewards Points: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
Respectfully disagree. Your website can drive a huge number of leads organically.

Search for "Metal Roofing Boston" in Google and see which company comes up # 1 organically?

It will be NewEnglandMetalRoof.com

Newton Metal Roofing Services (a Google Local Listing) is our local search listing, too! So, that's two listings, local and organic, for the same website above the fold.

Guess how many exclusive leads the site brought in with the help of the custom Roofing Calculator in September? Well over 50 exclusive leads by email and hundreds of phone calls. -- We did not have to pay for the leads or spend any money on adwords.

If your website is just a business card, then you have no idea what you are doing. Get a pro, get some content, set-up lead forms, add trust signals, off-site optimization, google local, set-up lead generation flows and calculators to get some engagement going on your site.
I agree. A website is not "just" a brochure, although that is part of it. It's also a huge lead generator if you work it to be so. AdWords, SEO, blog and email captures should be the columns holding up your website. Otherwise yes, it is just a page with a few paragraphs of text on it.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #20

Trade: Metal Roofing
Rewards Points: 22

Thers so much great content here. Im new to generating leads for my own business. Im stuck with trying to figure out what to do and where. I cant seem to get my localmaps page ranking.. I spend alot of time blogging and updating facebook and linked in. I need action now. Whats the thre best things to do now ? I own a niche metal roofing company.

Advertisement