Sink Base Cabinets - Water Protection For Deck

Old 11-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Engineer & Ret. GC
Rewards Points: 500

Sink Base Cabinets - Water Protection For Deck

I thought I would place this thread here instead of in the carpentry section.

Saw this while perusing the Merrillat site. No big deal, but a nice presentation. A ribbed mat, lipped at edges, detailed to drain at front, is fitted atop decks in sinkbase cabs.

I don't care whether you use plywood or melamine-faced PB for your decks, this seems like a good thing.

http://www.merillat.com/coreguard

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Electrical & Carpentry
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Sink Base Cabinets - Water Protection For Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post

Saw this while perusing the Merrillat site. No big deal, but a nice presentation. A ribbed mat, lipped at edges, detailed to drain at front, is fitted atop decks in sinkbase cabs.

I don't care whether you use plywood or melamine-faced PB for your decks, this seems like a good thing.

It is about time a company considered this - I am sure the rest of them will follow. I just replaced an under the sink base shelf that had rotted from a faucet leaking for a long time. With this concept, the water won't sink in the wood but stay on top so they will know they have to fix the leak............... good post !!

Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
TKO-TotalKitchenObsessed

Trade: Kitchen and bath design
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post

Yes we are well familiar with it. I betcha it's going to be the biggest draw at the next KBIS show, just as big as when soft close drawers first came out.

Merillat has been my baby for 26 years and I been away from it for the last 2. Now Merillat will make it's presence in my brand new showroom in 6 weeks and I am very excited to have my old friend back. I just dumped my other brands. I go way way back with Merillat. My first kitchen I did was in 1981 and it was with this very product.

The coreguard will be used to market to our Jewish customers. In the Jewish religion, on their holy days they can do no productive work. If they have a leak under their kitchen sink they are not allowed to fix it. So with the coreguard they can let it leak without harm to cabinets or floor. The water gathers in the front area to be wiped up later.

We already have the floor sample display of this sink base. It's the biggest innovation to come along to the kitchen cabinet industry since the soft close drawer guides and concealed hinges.

Thanks for posting this.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 2,740

Just another excuse for people to not clean and fix leaks?