Pier/boat "unit' Design? Suggestions

Old 11-28-2010, 06:52 AM   #1

Trade: retired civil
Rewards Points: 25

Pier/boat "unit' Design? Suggestions

60' pier damaged in last storm, getting ready to restore. It's an "L" shape, 60' out from shore, then turns right 10'. Most pillings are still standing.
Neighbors have built 200' piers, expensive.
I'd like to design a boat/pier....the "L" part of the pier could detach, and float, or have trolling motor to be able to go out 200' +/-, then return and attach back to the pier, and look like it's part of the pier, not a boat.
I'm thinking raft...maybe 6" diameter PVC pipes, capped at each end, with a platform atop, probably pier type railing. So it would be 5' X 10' +/-...about the size of the orginal "L".
Possibly a nylon rope on a wind up spool, so it would be easy to land back at the pier.
Looking for help with ideas.
Maybe something pre-built like this?

Also, when the pier was "re-built" 9 months ago, the "builder" set the elevation too low, used the wrong nails in the decking boards, and that's at least part of the reason the storm wiped it out.
As most of the pilings are still left, 8" round, I need to raise the height of them about 18", any suggestions?
I thought about using a pvc sleeve over the extisting, leave it 18" longer, and then dropping 18" pilings into pvc, on top of existing pilings to raise the entire pier.....not completely settled with the idea, as I don't think the white pvc will look very good.

http://www.muskokaleisuredocks.com/s...wim-rafts.html
Attached Thumbnails
Pier/boat "unit' design? Suggestions-raft1.jpg  

Last edited by medusa; 11-29-2010 at 03:16 AM. Reason: added info about low pilings

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement