Mold Issue In House

Old 02-18-2017, 12:48 AM   #1

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 124

Mold Issue In House

I was not sure where to ask this but I thought this was the best bet. I didn't think this fell under "pest control".

Anyways - So someone I know has a house in a decently wooded area. They get a fair amount of rain but nothing too drastic. They continually are finding mold returning in their bathroom, basement, and 2 of the 3 bedrooms. The home owner is baffled because he even had his entire bathroom remodeled and it still appears on the ceiling and walls.

The one area of the house where it gets bad is in the main bedroom. There is a door that leads outside that is never used and the inside is always getting covered in mold badly. He had thought to seal it up but it seems even a full remodel of the bathroom was not enough to keep it away.

Can the mold be coming from something outside the home? maybe a certain tree? Or could they be pockets in the roof causing it to shift to the first floor (the house is a ranch)?

I am at a loss with what advice to give. Anyone know about mold being this ridiculous?
http://www.acmanhouston.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017, 01:13 AM   #2
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 12

Re: Mold Issue In House

water infiltration & poor circulation

Advertisement

belangerheating (02-18-2017), Bull Trout (02-18-2017), EthanB (02-21-2017), greg24k (08-11-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 4

Find the water source & eliminate it / keep it at manageable level --- check areas with a moisture meter to see what they are at
Run bathroom exhaust fans (assuming they vent outside) starting before shower & at least 15 minutes after
Leave doors open, run a dehumidifier
Check outside drainage, flashing
Depending on amount - you may have to gut areas & replace, others maybe able to be cleaned & encapsulated

While mainly written for cold weather moisture issues, much still applies http://thehtrc.com/2015/faq-window-w...densation-iced & http://thehtrc.com/2015/bs4d-breathing-drying-out
fjn (04-25-2017), Robie (02-18-2017)

Old 02-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,123

Blocked down spouts, check with large garden hose/ buckets of water...

Moldy cedar shakes or shingles improperly installed or air venting plugged with tree droppings....

Unvented soffits, or plugged by faulty insulation plugging truss vents/chutes and soffit venting.....

plugged venting by "cottonwood" fuzz....

broken plumbing in slab...

faulty humidifier on furnace.

Too many plants too close to house creating a never dry spot...

Grade too high on sill plate.

Plugged drain tiles from trees/shrubs.

Incorrectly graded/settled yard slopes back to house in spots.

No dryer vent/ plugged ?

Critters in roof causing leaks.....

Sounds like a good one for thermal imagining equipment.

Sprinklers spraying siding?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
ACManHouston (02-21-2017), fjn (04-25-2017), Robie (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 9,427

I'll bet a few pics would reveal a lot, both interior and exterior.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkJames For This Useful Post:
Robie (02-18-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #6

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 136

Well... I have seen something like this before and it was actually down to the gutters and the roof. There was moisture gathering under the roof and where the gutters were plugged up, the mold would form on the wall. The entire roof had to be tor off and redone, the gutters replaced, and problem was solved.
http://www.perkinspreferredroofing.com
The Following User Says Thank You to perkins25 For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (02-20-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouthgeneration View Post
Blocked down spouts, check with large garden hose/ buckets of water...

Moldy cedar shakes or shingles improperly installed or air venting plugged with tree droppings....

Unvented soffits, or plugged by faulty insulation plugging truss vents/chutes and soffit venting.....

plugged venting by "cottonwood" fuzz....

broken plumbing in slab...

faulty humidifier on furnace.

Too many plants too close to house creating a never dry spot...

Grade too high on sill plate.

Plugged drain tiles from trees/shrubs.

Incorrectly graded/settled yard slopes back to house in spots.

No dryer vent/ plugged ?

Critters in roof causing leaks.....

Sounds like a good one for thermal imagining equipment.

Sprinklers spraying siding?
Thanks for the run down. I was afraid of it being a roofing issue but it seems that all signs are pointing to that. Seems to be common in ranch homes where the homeowner neglected the roof.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:25 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 5,123

One obvious effect of more CO2 is that ALL plants grow faster: thus more tree manure falling on houses........anything that breathes CO2 grows faster.......

Don't forget the bird manure acts as a force multiplier for molds and fungi/ water + fertilizer =problems.

And why would any idiot build a 4/12 roof under a forest?

The other ultra dumb homeowner trick is the installing water falls near and adjacent to their homes.

Ice damns????

A humidistat controlled roof ventilator...?

Last edited by Fouthgeneration; 02-21-2017 at 11:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fouthgeneration For This Useful Post:
ACManHouston (02-24-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
Pro

Location: Unfortunately I live in the communist republic of NJ.
Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACManHouston View Post
Thanks for the run down. I was afraid of it being a roofing issue but it seems that all signs are pointing to that. Seems to be common in ranch homes where the homeowner neglected the roof.
Whoa....let's not get carried away, what signs are pointing that way? Mold forming throughout the house is certainly a concern but you shouldn't jump to conclusions. Find the actual source and eliminate it.

Start out with taking relative humidity readings throughout the home with a good psychrometer and see if you can't narrow it down that way.
It has been my experience that most issues like you describe originate in the basement and or crawlspace and by way of the stack effect make they're way to the living areas.

Mold in the bathroom however would or could also indicate improper or inadequate venting etc. Anyways the true source is out there waiting to be found.....lol keep us posted, good luck, and may the force be with you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to NJGC For This Useful Post:
ACManHouston (02-24-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:08 PM   #10
Talking Head

Trade: Poking Things With Sticks
Rewards Points: 1,012

In addition to the moisture issue, there's likely a substantial hidden mold colony that is distributing spores so any time the humidity levels spike a bit, new growth forms quickly. It could easily be outside the house as well. A mold thorough mold test might help pinpoint where the hidden growth is concentrated.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGC View Post
Whoa....let's not get carried away, what signs are pointing that way? Mold forming throughout the house is certainly a concern but you shouldn't jump to conclusions. Find the actual source and eliminate it.

Start out with taking relative humidity readings throughout the home with a good psychrometer and see if you can't narrow it down that way.
It has been my experience that most issues like you describe originate in the basement and or crawlspace and by way of the stack effect make they're way to the living areas.

Mold in the bathroom however would or could also indicate improper or inadequate venting etc. Anyways the true source is out there waiting to be found.....lol keep us posted, good luck, and may the force be with you

I am going to need a lot of force. Most of the areas of the home read fine with moisture. The gutters need to be cleaned but nothing too bad. Not sure if the surrounding trees may be causing the issues with mold either. I just want to find the source and end the problem.I am sure the mold int he basement is likely moisture coming in through the bricks some where. The part bugging me is the rooms on the first floor. I will be checking the attic better this weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACManHouston For This Useful Post:
NJGC (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 40

How is the air circulation in the house?

I recently looked at a house that had mold issues in the 2 spare bedrooms. A little on the ceiling, a little on the furniture, and probably some on the floor.

The homeowner told me they had been shutting off the heat vents to the rooms, to save money. So there were two rooms, with minimal heat and no air circulation. I told him to open the heat runs back up and the problem was solved.

I'm not saying that's what it is, just asking if poor circulation might contribute.
The Following User Says Thank You to builditguy For This Useful Post:
Fouthgeneration (08-04-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
Pro

Location: Unfortunately I live in the communist republic of NJ.
Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACManHouston View Post
I am going to need a lot of force. Most of the areas of the home read fine with moisture. The gutters need to be cleaned but nothing too bad. Not sure if the surrounding trees may be causing the issues with mold either. I just want to find the source and end the problem.I am sure the mold int he basement is likely moisture coming in through the bricks some where. The part bugging me is the rooms on the first floor. I will be checking the attic better this weekend.
If there is mold in the basement you can guarantee it's spreading to the rest of the house from there. A house under most normal circumstances "breathes" in from the lowest level and exhaust thru the highest level.....this is known as the stack effect. So mold spores will transfer from basement all the way to the attic. If conditions are right for mold spores to colonize and grow in the upper levels that's what you'll have.

Humidity in the upper levels must be above 55% which is unacceptable as it makes it possible for mold to take root so to speak. Lower the relative humidity and it can't grow.

If water or water vapor is passing thru the foundation walls you need to retard it with a vapor barrier and most likely a drain tile of some sort if 1 is not already present. A healthy basement should = a healthy home.

The Following User Says Thank You to NJGC For This Useful Post:
Tinstaafl (02-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:58 PM   #14

Trade: Pest Control
Rewards Points: 16

We get a lot of rain combined with very high humidity.

Based upon experience:
1) Improve airflow in the rooms that mold is present.
2) Sunlight is vital. Install skylights to increase light.
3) Drainage. Ensure that all static water is draining promptly (especially important in bathrooms).
Old 04-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 8,156

Also,check to make sure bath fan is NOT exhausting into attic or at side wall next to soffit vents. The nearest soffit vent should be a minimum of 4 feet from exhaust port of bath fan.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:05 PM   #16

Trade: Flooring
Rewards Points: 24

I used to work for a company that did mold remediation. First you need to find the source of the problem (roof leak, pipe leak, improper ventilation, etc. Then it is extremely important to isolate the area (think clean room - lots of plastic sheeting), remove all visible mold and mold in the air (air scrubbers), and then retest the mold levels BEFORE rebuilding anything that was demolished. For the safety of the workers and homeowners it really should be done by someone with mold remediation experience and the correct protective equipment.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #17

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn View Post
Also,check to make sure bath fan is NOT exhausting into attic or at side wall next to soffit vents. The nearest soffit vent should be a minimum of 4 feet from exhaust port of bath fan.
Completely agreed. I've had to deal with mold growths twice that just ended up being circulation/ventilation issues. Don't overlook it.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:15 AM   #18

Trade: pressure washing
Rewards Points: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz View Post
water infiltration & poor circulation
Yea 9/10 times that's what Ive seen. Sometime mold can start outside and be carried inside through multiple openings.

Advertisement